Trains.com

Heritage Locomotive

154 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 851 posts
Heritage Locomotive
Posted by Awesome! on Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:06 PM

I was wondering it this unit still part of the UP Heritage? Can anyone tell me the total UP roster for the heritage units?

http://www.youtube.com/user/chefjavier
  • 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:57 PM

The 2001 and 2002 are tracked by the Yahoo Heritage groups, but I don't believe the Union Pacific considers them as Heritage units.  Much like the 3300 painted for special service, the 2001 and 2002 pulled the Olympic train and then when into regular freight service.   The Heritage units are the six SD70Ace diesels that were painted for railroads that were purchased by the Union Pacific.

I certainly have taken pictures of the 2001 and 2002 every chance I get and they are great looking locomotives.

I consider the 844 and 3985 real Heritage units along with the E units and the 6936.   That and $1.29 will get you coffee at most ARCO's.

CZ

• 102 posts
Posted by Cajon_92 on Saturday, January 23, 2010 7:13 PM

I agree with CZ, yes UP has their Heritage SD70ACe fleet, but the real Heritage units are 844, 3985, 6936, etc. UP 2001 & 2002 are still in the Winter Olympic colors but they are up for overhaul in 2010 so get them while you can. 2001 was in Northern California a few weeks back.

Cajon

Yermo-

Swarthout Cyn road-

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:54 PM

Cajon_92

I agree with CZ, yes UP has their Heritage SD70ACe fleet, but the real Heritage units are 844, 3985, 6936, etc. UP 2001 & 2002 are still in the Winter Olympic colors but they are up for overhaul in 2010 so get them while you can. 2001 was in Northern California a few weeks back.

Cajon

Yermo-

Swarthout Cyn road-

\

That blue Olympic paint still looks nice even with the dirt.  

Thanks for posting it.

This is a blue Heritage unit from the six official Union Pacific new SD70Ace Heritage units and it was on my birthday at Colfax Ca.

CZ

• 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:35 PM

What about the Bush Unit? Does count to be Heritage?

• 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:36 PM

How many E-units are running in their heritage arena?

• 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:38 PM

Challenger

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Monday, January 25, 2010 9:47 AM

Good question and the Union Pacific could answer it better than myself.  It was tracked by the Heritage group on Yahoo, but it does not represent a previous railroad that the Union Pacific purchased.  It is more in the category of the Olympic units being a special painted locomotive for special recognition of an event, such as the Olympics or the opening of the 41st President of the United States musuem. The 3300 SD40-2 United Way scheme was a special painted locomotive for that charity.  

The Union Pacific painted the 951 E9A for the Pre-amble Freedom Train which toured the nation before the actual Freedom train ran.   None of these paint schemes were considered Heritage units, but the three E units are part of the real Heritage units much like the 844, 3985 and the 6926, 5511.  Let's hope the UP continues to honor the past with their steam and older diesel program.  

CZ 

• 624 posts
Posted by fredswain on Monday, January 25, 2010 4:13 PM

FWIW: UP 4141 has been in storage in Little Rock, Ak since last summer so don't expect to see it around for a while. Since many things presidential are planned long in advance, it is already known that someday when Pres. Bush senior (41) dies, that engine will pull his funeral train across the country.

For those who haven't already seen it, look up the Iowa Interstate RR's new Rock Island Heritage engine. It is beautiful!

• 1,088 posts
Posted by videomaker on Monday, January 25, 2010 4:34 PM

Awesome,

THE Olimpic locos are not Heritage units,nor is 4141,..1982 was on the point of an M-EWFW or M HOFW last Thur..on the Waco Sub also,1988 has been a reg on it going south from FT Wth here lately...Hope you can catch them some time in Austin...

Danny
  • 102 posts
Posted by Cajon_92 on Monday, January 25, 2010 9:23 PM

videomaker

Awesome,

THE Olimpic locos are not Heritage units,nor is 4141

I agree, 4141, 2001, 2002, 8444 aren't heritage units, they just have special paint schemes or a special #. The Heritage units are the SD70ACes (1982, 1983, 1988, 1989, 1995, & 1996), but just like CZ said the real heritage units are 844, 3985, 6936, 5011 and the E units. The one thing that can be said about the E9s is they aren't really E9s anymore since they have new prime movers, unlike SP 6051 which is still a true E9 (which is a heritage unit in it's own right, just NOT a UP heritage unit.)

Speaking of 1988 it's currently on the QEWWC-24 en route to West Colton, CA.

Cajon

• 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Monday, January 25, 2010 9:28 PM

Guy's thanks for the information! It really open my eyes.Headphones Does anyone have pictures of the 5011? What is your favorite Heritage unit?

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Monday, January 25, 2010 9:47 PM

Awesome!

Guy's thanks for the information! It really open my eyes.Headphones Does anyone have pictures of the 5011? What is your favorite Heritage unit?

I have some shots of the 5511 in the roundhouse many years ago.   It will take some time to find them but I will look for it.  This is the only one I had scanned so here it is.  The locomotive looks nice overall and has been painted some time ago when it was displayed for one of the open houses a few years ago.

One time when I visited the roundhouse many year ago, they had a steam line near the left hand valve motion of the 5511 and the vapor was leaking and it looked like the 5511 was under steam.  It was not under steam and never has been since retired, but the effect was really great.

CZ

• 573 posts
Posted by The Butler on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:33 PM

fredswain

FWIW: UP 4141 has been in storage in Little Rock, Ak since last summer so don't expect to see it around for a while. Since many things presidential are planned long in advance, it is already known that someday when Pres. Bush senior (41) dies, that engine will pull his funeral train across the country.

For those who haven't already seen it, look up the Iowa Interstate RR's new Rock Island Heritage engine. It is beautiful!

Here is a photo:

Photo by: Mid-America Car, As shown in Trains News Wire story, "Iowa Interstate's Rock Island 'Heritage Unit' emerges" (January 18, 2010)

-Thanks Crandell

James

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:51 PM

The Butler

fredswain

Here is a photo:

Photo by: Mid-America Car, As shown in Trains News Wire story, "Iowa Interstate's Rock Island 'Heritage Unit' emerges" (January 18, 2010)

-Thanks Crandell

Thanks for posting that Heritage unit.  The paint scheme is really nice.  I noticed they have ditch lights on both ends.

CZ 

• 181 posts
Posted by fafnir242 on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:02 PM

CAZEPHYR

The Butler

fredswain

Here is a photo:

-Thanks Crandell

Thanks for posting that Heritage unit.  The paint scheme is really nice.  I noticed they have ditch lights on both ends.

CZ 

Oh, she's gorgeous!!!

• 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:30 PM

CAZEPHYR

The Butler

fredswain

Here is a photo:

-Thanks Crandell

CZ 

What R.R. bought Rock Island?

• 102 posts
Posted by Cajon_92 on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:39 PM

Awesome!

CAZEPHYR

The Butler

fredswain

Here is a photo:

-Thanks Crandell

CZ 

I agree, IAIS 513 is a great looking unit.

Originally UP had planned to merge with the Rock Island but by the time it was approved by the ICC the Rock had slipped into a bad money situation along with other problems and the UP backed away from the merger. The Rock Island filed for Bankruptcy in Mar. of 1975, and struggled on until 1980 when it was shut down. RI units and rolling stock were sold off, as well as RI trackage. Any corrections welcome, but I'm fairly sure this is how it went down.

Cajon

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:59 PM

This is the 951 in the pre amble Freedom train colors.  Thanks to Fallen flags web site.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/aft/prea951gec.jpg

• 2,385 posts
Posted by trainfan1221 on Friday, January 29, 2010 3:41 PM

Awesome!

CAZEPHYR

The Butler

fredswain

Here is a photo:

-Thanks Crandell

CZ 

Well no particular RR bought Rock Island, it went out of business and various railroads took viable lines.  The Rock Island Heritage unit is really nice.
  • 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Friday, January 29, 2010 8:17 PM

I think they should keep this style of locomotive.

• 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Friday, January 29, 2010 8:19 PM

I think my favorite Heritage unit is the 1989 Rio Grande (UP)

• 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Friday, January 29, 2010 8:38 PM

I think this one should win the must memorable Heritage award;

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Friday, January 29, 2010 10:23 PM

The 1989 is a great looking locomotive for sure.    The Katy is probably just about even with the 1989 for my money, but they both are great.   

CZ 

• 778 posts
Posted by silicon212 on Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:57 AM

The Butler

fredswain

Here is a photo:

-Thanks Crandell

That is one beautiful machine.  That color scheme really accentuates the looks of the GEVO.

• 2,385 posts
Posted by trainfan1221 on Saturday, January 30, 2010 3:32 PM

Awesome!

I think this one should win the must memorable Heritage award;

Now THAT"S extreme!
  • 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:43 PM

Another picture of 1989

• 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:44 PM

Another Heritage Unit CNW 1995

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Sunday, January 31, 2010 3:03 PM

And here is the 1995 last night in Colfax on 1/30/2010 after dark. 

This is the 1995 at Rocklin.

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:55 PM

And the next day, the 1995 is going north to Seattle on a bare table.   

Bare table is north out of Roseville on 1/31/2010.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy