Trains.com

Roundhouses and Turntables (and transfer tables)

583 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:56 PM

Skagway, AK - WP&Y footprint (Not visible via Google.)

I cannot determine the Lat/Lon of the center of where the turntable would have been.  If anyone knows how to get BING to tell me the coordinates of a point on the map, I could add a few more sites that are visible on BING, but not on Google Earth.

Bristol, VA - N&W Re-purposed

Added at:  36°36'38.41"N  82°10'15.27"W

Fulton, VA - Footprint

This is presently listed as Montrose, VA. at  37°30'38.85" N  77°24'48.51" W

Estherville, IA - pit outline - Turntable removed after 2006. Can be seen via Google historic imagery.

Added at:    43°24'15.07"N 94°50'28.53"W

Reader, AR - Turntable for the tourist Reader Railroad. Abandoned in 1983.

This one has been point out a couple of times before but I could never see the TT, I thought it was North of the mainline.  Added at:  33°44'53.35"N 93° 8'51.86"W

Jacksonville, FL - Re-purposed single stall at CSX dispatch center

Added at:  30°19'29.60"N 81°39'53.25"W

Jacksonville, FL - Transfer table footprint

Not sure which patch of ground is the center of the Transfer Table.

Laws, CA - Working "gallows" turntable

Added at:   37°23'51.79"N 118°20'44.37"W

Colusa, CA - Colusa & Lake narrow gauge footprint - Roundhouse best seen via Google historic imagery 1998 - Razed in 2009.

Added at:   39°12'56.27"N 122° 0'43.77"W

Eureka, CA - pit

I believe you have the BING map centered on an oil tank outline... I did find a turntable just to the south, closer to the middle of the balloon track and with a faint outline of a Roundhouse at:  40°48'1.12"N  124°10'36.09"W

Nevada, MO - MK&T footprint - best seen via Google historic imagery (any date.)

Very hard to verify!  I added it at:  37°50'36.94"N  94°20'42.55"W

Texline, TX - Re-purposed - image is centered on the filled pit.

Oldest Google Earth Historical imagery shows the roundhouse, but I can't really see the TT pit.  Added at:  36°22'50.40"N 103° 1'50.81"W

Bremerton, WA - Turntable - Puget Sound Naval Ship Yard

Added at:   47°33'19.62"N 122°39'19.67"W

Shelton, WA - Roundhouse/Turntable in use

Added at:  47°12'35.62"N 123° 5'55.18"W

Beecher Falls, VT had a turntable/single stall roundhouse (originally 3-stalls) visible via 1999 Google historic imagery at 45°0'37.46"N  71°30'25.85"W - Turntable sold to tourist Passumpsic Railroad, north of Barnet, VT.

Added at:  45° 0'37.37"N  71°30'25.92"W

Changes/Notes:

Hawarden, IA - Turntable is still there

Trees in the pit were obscuring my view!

Golden, CO - TT and RH are both museum-built replicas

May be modern replicas, but they are there and working!

Folsom, CA - Replica display turntable

Operating but not usable!  No tracks lead to it.

Casper, WY (spelling)

I musta been scared by a ghost.

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Tuesday, January 3, 2012 10:09 PM

DAING!  Google Earth just Gargle Barfed on me and I lost all that I had just added.  I'll get to the additions by DPRNRR when I get that straightened out.

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:36 AM

THERE! all fixed... at least for a while... seems the lists are getting too long.  I may have to split the U.S. list into smaller groups somehow.

What follows is a reply to DPRNRR's post:

Limon, CO -- Rh & Tt outline -- 39 15.622N 103 41.022W  --  This is a unique spot as this was a Rock Island site.  One of only two in Colorado.  The other is in Colorado Springs.  It's also the point where the UP & RI joined (or separated depending on direction) their services in and out of Denver & C.S.

I moved the Lat/Lon to be closer to the center of where the TT would have been...   39°15'36.47"N  103°41'1.84"W

Norway, ME -- Car Barn -- 44 12.8N 70 31.524W -- This is the old car barn for the Norway & Paris (ME) Street Railway.  It has been drastically rebuilt so as to not being recognizable. I was told about it from another source.  So, I don't know if you want to add it to the list, but it is another form of a "roundhouse" or "engine house".

Don't rightly know what to think of that building... being next to a Cemetary it might be a Mortuary.  From Street View I see it is a 2 and half story building with no indication it was ever any sort of engine house or barn.  Being as it ain't "round" nor is there any indication there was ever a Turntable or Transfer table, I am going to omit it.

As to the question about Milo/Derby, ME.  This is another situation like the Hartford/White River Junction, VT thing.  I liked the way Semper Vaporo handled it.  That way gives more specific location in any setting.

Okay, I changed the two references to Derby to Milo/Derby, ME.  But just like the others I have listed with two names on one line, someone looking for the 2nd name may not find it in the list.

The "Bangor" site is one that was covered and I forgot it.  It probably is best to use the Northern Maine Junction name as that is what the RR decided on based on its function.  However, it is within the city of Bangor according to the map.

Same problem here... I can add "Bangor" on name, but should it be "Bangor/Northern Maine Junction" or "Northern Maine Junction/Bangor" ??

Edmunston, NB -- Tt only -- 47 21.658N 68 20.203W  -- right along the US/Can. border, the river.

Added at:  47°21'39.45"N   68°20'12.04"W

Dauphin, MB -- Rh & Tt -- 51 9.232N 100 3.719W

Added at:  51° 9'13.55"N 100° 3'42.45"W

Minnedosa, MB -- Rh outline -- 50 15.032N 99 50.588W

Added at:  50°15'2.81"N   99°50'36.49"W

Winnipeg, AB -- Rh outline, barely visible -- 49 54.786N 97 9.464W

Already in the list.

Brandon, AB -- Rh outline -- 49 51.079N 99 55.48W

Added at:  49°51'4.27"N   99°55'50.63"W

Prince George, BC -- Tt -- 53 55.257N 122 43.874W

Added at:  53°55'15.42"N 122°43'52.44"W

North Battleford, SK -- Rh outline -- 52 46.156N 108 17.821W

Added at:  52°46'10.33"N 108°17'49.31"W

Swift Current, SK -- Rh outline -- 50 16.859N 107 47.674W

Added at:  50°16'51.08"N 107°47'38.67"W

--------------------

I will get the Excel file and the PDF's updated and uploaded soon.

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 6,445 posts
Posted by MidlandMike on Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:55 PM

Semper Vaporo

Skagway, AK - WP&Y footprint (Not visible via Google.)

I cannot determine the Lat/Lon of the center of where the turntable would have been.  If anyone knows how to get BING to tell me the coordinates of a point on the map, I could add a few more sites that are visible on BING, but not on Google Earth.  ...

For Skagway I use Terraserver.com to get the lat/long center point of the radial pattern.  I plugged it into Google Earth to see if it was close, however GE could not resolve the lat/long copied from Terraserver.  It was then I noticed that Terraserver determined the longitude to be 183°W (Hint: what is the maximum number of degrees in a hemisphere?),  So I guess Terraserver isn't too reliable. 

• 29 posts
Posted by DPRNRRColorado on Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:53 PM

Thanks for Skagway, I think.  From pictures I've seen I knew it was there but the res on GE is so bad there it's impossible to pinpoint it.

I do have another Canadian site that's almost, but quite, as bad.

Napadogan, NB - only Rh discernable -  46 24.763N 66 55.901W  --  It's out in the mid part of NB and far away from pretty much everything.

Sydney, NS -- Tt only -- 46 8.942N 60 11.788W

Truro, NS -- Rh outline only -- 45 21.926N 63 16.087W

Etobicoke, ON -- Tt only -- (Misisssauga, ON area) -- 43 36.38N 79 30.823W

Belleville, ON -- Tt & Rh -- 44 10.986N 77 22.058W

Smiths Falls, ON -- Rh & Tt -- 44 54.422N 76 0.947W  (Note - there is no ' in Smiths)

Sudbury, ON -- Tt & Rh -- 46 29.293N 81 0.119W

Vickers Heights, ON -- 48 21.512N 89 21.013W -- (Thunder Bay area)

For now that's it for Canada.  Next week, after I finish up some schooling I'm in the middle of, I'll start out on Australia.  So far I have 18 to start with.  There are not as many sites as you might think as many of the old steam era sites and lines have been completely pulled in favor of electric and diesel.

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Friday, January 6, 2012 8:55 PM

DPRNRRColorado

Thanks for Skagway, I think.  From pictures I've seen I knew it was there but the res on GE is so bad there it's impossible to pinpoint it.

Okay, I have added Skagway, but the coordinates are pretty iffy, but maybe as accurate as any of the others, given the way some of them jump around when changing the date of the Historical View.

USA AK Skagway  59°28'3.35"N 135°17'53.41"W

I also added your other Canadian/Canadien sites... Thanks.  I will update the files on-line sometimes this weekend.

Terreserver sure is a REAL PAIN to use.  Slow, and too paranoid someone might use there public domain images... at least the images sure look a lot like the ones on Google Earth and Bing maps...  Except for the icons they stick all over the images to make them useless if copied,  And their "183 degree" value is not even just simply an overrun in the positive direction, it is just simply WRONG.  And to think they used to be the best (back when they were the only!).  SAD!

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 297 posts
Posted by Zwingle on Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:24 PM

Skagway, AK - Flash Earth translates Bing coordinates. Monte Cristo, WA is one that's impossible to discern via Google because of snow cover.

Kersey, PA - 2' gauge turntable for the tourist Bucksgahuda and Western Railroad.

Superior, WI - to add to the Superior already on the list.

Superior, WI - another - best seen via Google historic imagery.

Baraboo, WI - Turntable visible via Google historic imagery.

Lorton, VA - Turntable

Shenandoah, VA - Footprint

Crewe, VA - Footprint

Alexandria, VA - Here a turntable can be seen in earlier images.

Alexandria, VA - A Roundhouse/turntable visible in 1988 imagery.

Monroe, VA - Footprint

Portsmouth, VA - Footprint seen via historic imagery.

Harrisonburg, VA - Roundhouse is James Madison University Services Building.

Bellows Falls, VT - Working roundhouse/turntable

Newell, PA - Abandoned roundhouse

Brownsville, PA - Footprint - Also a turntable in earlier imagery.

Oil City, PA - Footprint

Washington, DC - Turntable

I agree that replicas should be included on the list. After all, they're quite real. But it is worth noting that they are replicas. Golden, CO, Folsom, CA, and Sugar Creek, OH are a few examples. In the case of the latter, the site is so new, it's marked on Google Earth, but the imagery hasn't yet caught up with the construction.

Santa Barbara isn't original nor a replica, but it does commemorate the roundhouse. The Flemington, NJ "Turntable Junction" might fall into a similar category. In this case the turntable pit was filled/bricked over in commemoration. A gazebo was added in the center, and at one time a caboose was on display. Even though there's nothing left of the original turntable, its location is preserved. Both Santa Barbara and Flemington might qualify for a "monument-type" of notation.

• 6,445 posts
Posted by MidlandMike on Saturday, January 7, 2012 3:22 PM

The Bellows Falls, VT location is actually across the Conn. River in North Walpole, NH, which is already on the list.

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:33 PM

Zwingle

Skagway, AK - Flash Earth translates Bing coordinates. Monte Cristo, WA is one that's impossible to discern via Google because of snow cover.

Monte Cristo, WA... I used Flash Earth to determine the location and transfered those Lat/Lon to my Google Earth KMZ file. If you look closely and assume the pushpin is in the middle of the turntable then the pit is discernable, but if you are just looking, it is just a snow field with some odd shadows!

Zwingle

Kersey, PA - 2' gauge turntable for the tourist Bucksgahuda and Western Railroad.

Your link to Kersey is wrong (takes me to Monte Cristo, WA) ,but I used the other link and Flash Earth here also to get the Lat/Lon and put that into GE to get a pushpin located. The resolution in GE is too poor to see much of anything but splotches.

Zwingle

Superior, WI - to add to the Superior already on the list.

Superior, WI - another - best seen via Google historic imagery.

Both added.

Zwingle

Baraboo, WI - Turntable visible via Google historic imagery.

I just cannot find anything here, no matter how much my mind wants to see something.

Zwingle

Lorton, VA - Turntable

Shenandoah, VA - Footprint

Crewe, VA - Footprint

Alexandria, VA - Here a turntable can be seen in earlier images.

Alexandria, VA - A Roundhouse/turntable visible in 1988 imagery.

All added.

Zwingle

I just cannot find anything here.

Zwingle

Portsmouth, VA - Footprint seen via historic imagery.

Cannot find this one either.

Zwingle

Harrisonburg, VA - Roundhouse is James Madison University Services Building.

Hmmm.... the oldest images of this location do not show any building there. That building may be a 1/4 round building, but I don't see a link to a RR site.

Zwingle

Bellows Falls, VT - Working roundhouse/turntable

As mentioned in the previous post, this is across the river in N.H.

Zwingle

Newell, PA - Abandoned roundhouse

Brownsville, PA - Footprint - Also a turntable in earlier imagery.

Oil City, PA - Footprint

All added.

Zwingle

Washington, DC - Turntable

Already in the list.

Zwingle

I agree that replicas should be included on the list. After all, they're quite real. But it is worth noting that they are replicas. Golden, CO, Folsom, CA, and Sugar Creek, OH are a few examples. In the case of the latter, the site is so new, it's marked on Google Earth, but the imagery hasn't yet caught up with the construction.

Sugar Creek is just a general area in the middle of the Northeast quadrant of Ohio, according to Google Earth. There is a 20 mile difference in the spelling between "Sugar Creek" and "Sugarcreek" (the real name of the city where the Age of Steam Roundhouse is located. The web site for The Age Of Steam Roundhouse (your reference to Sugar Creek) has some really nice photos of the new building. I found what is probably the site near Smokey Lane Road, but the latest images on GE are from 2008 and the roundhouse was started in 2010, so there is not even any evidence of turned earth anywyere. I guess we'll just have to wait for Google Earth to update.

Zwingle

Santa Barbara isn't original nor a replica, but it does commemorate the roundhouse. The Flemington, NJ "Turntable Junction" might fall into a similar category. In this case the turntable pit was filled/bricked over in commemoration. A gazebo was added in the center, and at one time a caboose was on display. Even though there's nothing left of the original turntable, its location is preserved. Both Santa Barbara and Flemington might qualify for a "monument-type" of notation.

Is there anyother evidence of the location of the roundhouse? Something more than an aerial view of a gazebo? I'd be willing to center a pushpin on the gazebo if I could find some other photographic evidence of what was there before.

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Sunday, January 8, 2012 9:59 PM

A comment in another thread about balloon tracks lead me to look at New Zealand again. I had not done a lot of looking there before, so I just picked a city and started following rail lines. Found 8 more turntables.

New Zealand Arthur's Pass  42°56'27.28"S 171°33'47.24"E
New Zealand Aukland  36°56'35.63"S 174°49'55.55"E
New Zealand Dunedin  45°53'17.00"S 170°30'2.59"E
New Zealand Invercargill 46°24'57.46"S 168°20'41.96"E
New Zealand Middleton  43°32'23.45"S 172°35'12.63"E
New Zealand Oamaru  45° 5'24.75"S 170°58'50.59"E
New Zealand Picton  41°17'18.29"S 174° 0'6.99"E
New Zealand Waltham  43°32'47.47"S 172°39'29.57"E

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:11 PM

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 6,445 posts
Posted by MidlandMike on Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:46 PM

I noticed on the US list that     ME, Bucksport     for some reason is out of alphabetical order.

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:15 PM

FIxed... I think I had an extra space after the State abreviation so Excel sorted it below the others.

Uploaded to the same link as previous post.

Thanks!

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 29 posts
Posted by DPRNRRColorado on Monday, January 9, 2012 9:14 PM

So busy I hadn't noticed it.  Thanks though for adjustment as it would have shown up.  I've got a few more for you to consider. but these are in the UK, not US or AU.

Harlesdon, London -- Tt & Rh outline -- 51 31.607N 0 14.856W

Harringay, London -- Tt -- 51 34.807N 0 6.47W

Hither Green, London -- Tt  -- 51 27.043N 0 .160E

Camden, London -- RH --51 32.592N 0 9.114W

Barrow Hill, Derbyshire -- Tt & Rh -- 53 16.474N 1 22.914W

Greet, Birmingham -- Tt & Rh outline -- 52 27.267N 1 50.656W

Now, before anyone gets in a flutter over these numbers, remember that the Greenwich Meridian goes through London as Greenwich is a suburb.  The 1s & 0s are accurate as is the one "E" as it is on the "other" or "eastern" side of the meridian.

I'l be submitting the list from AU that I have to this point later this week, and will be sending a list of items for the US.  Just a hint: guess what I found in one of the major east coast ports?

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:24 AM

The coords for Hither Green needs a zero in front ot the ".160E" (making it "51 34.807E 0 0.160E") for Google Earth to like it (stupid cornphewters!).  But even stupidier; when I zoom in on the spot, if I click on the image to move it slightly, it will jump the whole thing East and leaves me 1000 ft west of the site.  Had a terrible time getting the push pin centered on the turntable!

The Camden site, was hard to verify the name.  Lots of different names associated with that area; Chalk Farm, Primrose Hill are the two I found most often.  I finally did find a place that had the name "Chalk Farm, Camden" in association with a photo of the roundhouse.

But I am not so lucky associating "Greet" with that site.  The name I find most in that area is Tyseley.. Whoops!  Never mind... If I get Google Earth to just the right zoom level there is a red dot to the west with the name Greet on it.  So that is solved.

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 297 posts
Posted by Zwingle on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:13 AM

Sorry for the goof on Harrisonburg, VA.  I usually check better than that. There was another one that seemed suspicious that I didn't check back in time, and that was the one in Milwaukee. If you go back to 2000 it's no longer there. This would make it a recent construction, apparently designed to look like a roundhouse. This would still make it and the pit a replica, so I suppose no changes would be necessary to the list.

However, when you go back to 2000 you can also see two roundhouse outlines as well as a transfer table, or where one was. When I was 15 I got a tour of the Milwaukee shops and took pictures of all these things. This was over 30 years ago, and the northernmost roundhouse still had six stalls and the turntable was working. Looking at the pictures now, I'm noticing the doors to the roundhouse rolled up like garage doors.

43°1'43.36"N  87°57'37.36"W

These coordinates (in 2000) will take you to the center of the transfer table. Absolutely nothing exists today.

As for Monroe, VA, I knew the outline would be hard to see, which is why I included a USGS map showing its location.

Good point on Flemington, NJ. Several years ago there was a photo essay online about this location, as well as one for Caspar, CA, even showing photos of the respective turntables. Both Flickr essays are now gone.  So from a neutral position, you are right to avoid making them "official." The important thing at this point is that there's mention of different 'possibilities' in this thread. That way whenever more information does come across on the web those locations will be easier to reference.

• 29 posts
Posted by DPRNRRColorado on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:00 PM

Hi all!  I'm getting a bit ahead of myself but I came across some direction while reading something that lead me to a few spots that are VERY interesting.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg -- Rh w/internal Tt -- this is one of two from the late 1800s that they have apparently preserved. -- 49 36.112N 6 8.182E

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg -- Rh w/internal Tt -- This is the second one like the first but not exactly the same size.  -- 49 36.047N 6 8.177E

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg -- A complex comprised of two RH & two Tt combined by what appears to be a shop/fabricating building -- 49 35.467N 6 8.190E

All I can say on these is WOW!  They do remind me somewhat of the Roanoke, VA complex though.

Also, I had mention of Poland so I did a brief search and came up with the following:

Skierniewice -- Rh & Tt -- 51 57.920N 20 8.595E

Pila -- Rh & Tt -- 53 8.567N 16 45.125E

Pila -- Rh & Tt -- 53 8.588N 16 45.174E

As can be seen by the coordinates these last two are next to each other.

By the way a point on the Bayshore, CA roundhouse complex.  There is a website put up by a group trying to save the complex and turn it into a museum/park, and they show the address as being in Brisbane, CA.

In a few days I'll pass on a few others from the US that I forgot and then I'll get on to AU and another European country.

TRAINMASTER - DPRNRRColorado

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:57 PM

Spent some time today, adding the 3 Milwaukee sites from Zwingle and then verifying the latest from DPRNRR.

Nice to have 4 from Luxembourg!  Yes, those two together are very nice.  There are several in Europe that have adjacent Roundhouses... Some in Germany have 3 in a row.

Then there is the one in Prague, Czech Republic where the Turntables are adjacent to service two slightly more than half Roundhouses that face each other.  See: (previously listed way back in this thread).

Czech Republic Prague  50° 3'38.73"N  14°27'36.01"E

that is one of them, the other is just a turntable length south!

I added the Poland sites too.

I also stumbled onto another in a Paris Suburb:

France Paris Pantin  48°53'51.76"N   2°25'9.77"E

And while looking for something else, I stumbled onto:

Italy Turin  45° 2'28.52"N   7°40'0.93"E
Italy Turin  45° 2'18.92"N   7°39'55.45"E

What I was looking for is a pair of Turntables and Roundhouses that are so close together that the Turntables interfere with each other... In order for either of them to rotate completely the other must be out of the way.  I remember seeing it and adding to my list several years ago, but that list got clobbered way-back-when and I now cannot find where it was.  I am sure it was in southern Europe someplace, possibly southeastern France, but I just do not remember for sure.  Does any one know where it is/was?  It was similar to the one in Prague, but closer together.  I never understood the reason for building them so close together as it seems to be just one more thing to bother with in checking and possibly having to go adjust before either table could be used.

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 29 posts
Posted by DPRNRRColorado on Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:56 PM

It's sad isn't it!? Every once in a while we jump the tracks.  If we're lucky all we'll land in is some nice soft sand, not a swamp.  It looks like Zwingle beat me to the punch on the Milwaukee sites as I had them but forgot to pass them on.  Good job Zwingle!!!

Here are the others on my list of,  OOOPS, I did it again.  They weren't included last time.

Aurora, IL  --  Rh outline --  41 46.318N 88 16.399W

Harding, PA  --  Rh  -- 41 21.156N 75 48.036W

Baltimore, MD  --  Tt  --  39 16.124N 76 36.089W  [This is the one I mentioned about being in an E coast port]

Nashua, NH  --  Rh stall  --  42 45.726N 71 27.110W  [the west side of the building is the one stall that was saved from the Rh that was there.

Tracy, MN  --  Tt  --  44 14.024N 95 37.678W

Fon du Lac, WI  --  Tarns Table  --  43 48.610N 88 28.692W  { I got so engrossed in looking at the two Rhs that at first I missed the table.}

Minneapolis, MN  --  Tt  --  45 2.811N 93 16.350W

Based on the latest downloaded list from Semper Vaporo I don't think any of these are on it, but....

Here are a few from Canada that popped up in extra research there:

Squamish, BC  --  Rh & Tt  --  49 43.681N 123 9.627W

Hanna, BC  --  Rh & Tt  --  51 38.273N 111 56.219W

London, ON  --  Rh  --  42 58.885N 81 14.379W

Biggar, SK  --  Rh  --  52 3.265N 107 59.751W

Really, next week I'll submit my list of AU sites.

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:56 PM

[quote user="DPRNRRColorado"]

It's sad isn't it!? Every once in a while we jump the tracks.  If we're lucky all we'll land in is some nice soft sand, not a swamp.  It looks like Zwingle beat me to the punch on the Milwaukee sites as I had them but forgot to pass them on.  Good job Zwingle!!!

/quote]

Like my sig line presently says... "My train of thought was derailed... There were no survivors."

Aurora, IL  --  Rh outline --  41 46.318N 88 16.399W  Already in list.

Harding, PA  --  Rh  -- 41 21.156N 75 48.036W  Already in list.

Baltimore, MD  --  Tt  --  39 16.124N 76 36.089W  Added.

Nashua, NH  --  Rh stall  --  42 45.726N 71 27.110W   Added.

Tracy, MN  --  Tt  --  44 14.024N 95 37.678W  Added.

Fon du Lac, WI  --  Tarns Table  --  43 48.610N 88 28.692W  { I got so engrossed in looking at the two Rhs that at first I missed the table.}  Added.  (I bet there are lots of Transfer tables I missed because I was not looking for them initially.)

Minneapolis, MN  --  Tt  --  45 2.811N 93 16.350W  Already in the list, but shown as 'Fridley, MN'.

Squamish, BC  --  Rh & Tt  --  49 43.681N 123 9.627W  Added.

Hanna, BC  --  Rh & Tt  --  51 38.273N 111 56.219W  Added.

London, ON  --  Rh  --  42 58.885N 81 14.379W  Added.

Biggar, SK  --  Rh  --  52 3.265N 107 59.751W  Added.

I have several others I have added in both the US and non-U.S. lists and will publish the 3 files again this weekend.

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 297 posts
Posted by Zwingle on Sunday, January 15, 2012 2:32 PM

Five more sites in Buffalo, NY (already marked on Google Earth.) 
These sites were cross-referenced and verified with USGS maps, like Monroe, VA.
Buffalo, NY 42°51'48.68"N 78°50'53.12"W Nickel Plate
Buffalo, NY 42°52'43.09"N 78°49'13.49"W Erie
Buffalo, NY (Gardenville) 42°50'57.56"N 78°45'54.29"W PRR working roundhouse/turntable
Buffalo, NY 42°53'26.22"N 78°47'31.66"W DL&W
Buffalo, NY 42°51'26.30"N 78°50'54.46"W B&O

More US sites:
Pine Bluff, AR - footprint
Colma, CA - turntable
Fillmore, CA - turntable
Old Saybrook, CT - footprint
Rollag, MN - roundhouse/turntable
Unity, ME - turntable
Canadian, TX - footprint seen via historical imagery.
Greenville, PA - roundhouse/turntable
Hazelwood, PA - roundhouse/turntable
Northumberland, PA - footprint
Port Clinton, PA - turntable/single stall
Staples, MN - footprint
Hinkle, OR - turntable
Lewiston, ID - turntable
Another Memphis, TN - turntable (zoom for an excellent close-up.)
Avondale, LA - footprint
Bossier City, LA - pit - turntable best seen in 1989 imagery.
Monroe, LA - turntable
Baltimore, MD (Kresson) - footprint
Chili, NY - Genesee Jct. turntable remains. (best seen via defoliated 2005 imagery.)
Hermon, ME - roundhouse/turntable
Oakfield, ME -  46° 6'27.80"N 68° 8'50.72"W - footprint in 1996 imagery.
Logan WV - turntable

Macon, GA - footprint
Alamosa, CO - footprint
Marmarth, ND - pit/footprint
Grand Forks, ND - roundhouse/turntable
Vernon, CT - turntable pit - location referenced here. Can be seen in defoliated 2008 imagery.
Hazard, KY - turntable/single stall roundhouse visible in 1999 historic imagery.
Willits, CA - filled pit
Little Ferry, NJ - turntable
New Egypt, NJ - Pemberton and Hightstown Railroad single stall and pit best seen in defoliated 2002 imagery. Now razed. The turntable was moved to the Pine Creek Railroad, already on the list as Hawthorne, NJ. The single-stall is easily seen with 1986 imagery.
Sheff, IN - footprint barely visible through trees.
McComb, MS - footprint
Shelbiana, KY - turntable
Honolulu, HI - replica like in Milwaukee - called "The Roundhouse."
Dillwyn, VA - turntable at 37°32'17.39"N  78°27'42.90"W - Can only be seen using Google Earth 2007 imagery.
Prairie Village, SD - replica roundhouse/turntable
International Falls, MN - unusual roundhouse w/track fan.
Virginia, MN - piece of footprint
Norton, VA - filled pit
Victoria, VA - footprint
Interbay, WA - roundhouse/turntable
South Cle Elum, WA - footprint
Galveston, TX - GH&H footprint
Galveston, TX - ATSF footprint
Galveston, TX - 29°18'15.21"N  94°48'59.66"W GTRR seen using Google historic imagery.
Marienville, PA - roundhouse/turntable
Purcell, OK -  35° 0'33.14"N 97°21'23.85"W - Roundhouse marked on Google Earth. No trace remains except turntable leads.
Centerville, IA -  40°43'20.39"N  92°51'47.93"W - roundhouse/footprint in 1941 and 1950 imagery.
West Liberty, IA -   41°34'21.27"N 91°16'8.78"W  Overgrown footprint. Can be seen in 1937 imagery.
Davenport, IA -  41°31'10.58"N  90°35'0.92"W - two-stall roundhouse best seen in 1956 imagery.
Burlington, IA -  40°47'57.63"N  91° 5'58.26"W - roundhouse/turntable in 1937 and 1951 imagery.

Burlington, IA -  40°49'34.64"N  91° 6'13.85"W -  CRIP roundhouse/turntable seen in 1937 and 1951 imagery.

Keokuk, IA -  40°23'14.12"N 91°23'31.67"W - roundhouse/turntable in 1936 and 1956 imagery

East Dubuque, IL - 42°29'32.98"N 90°38'45.22"W - roundhouse/turntable in 1994 Google imagery.

Dubuque, IA - 42°29'10.13"N  90°39'31.00"W - IC turntable visible in 1995 imagery. 1937 imagery shows two roundhouses.
Dubuque, IA - 42°30'48.83"N  90°39'43.23"W - MILW footprint best seen in Google 1999 imagery.

Eldon, IA - 40°55'1.13"N  92°13'26.19"W - roundhouse/turntable in 1937 imagery.

Clinton, IA -  41°49'41.87"N  90°12'10.28"W - roundhouse/turntable in 1937 and 1951 imagery.
Waterloo, IA -  42°31'23.09"N  92°20'59.33"W - roundhouse/turntable in 1937 and 1952 imagery.

Marquette, IA - 43° 2'36.36"N  91°11'33.02"W - roundhouse/turntable in 1936 and 1952 imagery.
Cedar Rapids, IA-  41°58'10.64"N 91°38'54.31"W - roundhouse/turntable in 1936 and 1952 imagery.

Brownwood, TX - filled pit/footprint - This turntable was eventually installed at Grapevine, TX.

Four more 1/4 scale, like in Sonoma, CA.
Brooks, OR - roundhouse/turntable
Steelville, MO - roundhouse/turntable
Near Berkeley, CA - roundhouse/turntable
Glencoe, MO - turntable/roundhouse

Half-scale:
Lake Delton, WI - roundhouse/turntables - Three turntables of different sizes exist here, but I only counted two in this image.

Non-US:
Ampflwang, Austria - roundhouse/turntable
Cosquin, Argentina - isolated turntable
Mechita, Argentina - turntable
Athens, Greece - roundhouse/turntable
Casilda, Cuba - turntable
London, England - turntable
Korosten, Ukraine - roundhouse/turntable
Luxembourg, Luxembourg - two roundhouses/turntables
Guatemala City, Guatemala - roundhouse/turntable
Beekbergen, Netherlands - turntable
Székesfehérvár, Hungary - roundhouse/turntable
Sibiu, Romania - roundhouse/turntable
Hoenefoss, Norway - turntable
Baquedano, Chile - roundhouse/turntable
Salzburg, Austria - roundhouse/turntable 1 and roundhouse/turntable 2
Junee NSW., Australia - roundhouse/turntable
Melbourne, VIC, Australia - two turntables
Cootamundra, NSW, Australia - turntable
Broadmeadow, NSW, Australia - roundhouse; two turntables
San Martín, Buenos Aires, Argentina - turntable
Didcot, England - turntable
Patra, Greece - turntable
Regua, Portugal - turntable
Barreiro, Portugal - roundhouse/turntable
Garmisch, Germany - roundhouse/turntable
Milan, Italy - roundhouse/turntable
Gletsch, Switzerland - turntable
Delémont, Switzerland - roundhouse and two turntables
Araraquara, Brazil - roundhouse/turntable
Another in Vancouver, BC - isolated turntable - Street View shows track still in place
Kentville, NS - roundhouse (now demolished)
Wakefield, QC - turntable
Jonquiere, QC - turntable/roundhouse
Field, BC - footprint
Kyoto, Japan - roundhouse/turntable
Riihimäki, Finland - double roundhouse/turntable
Gdynia, Poland - two roundhouses/two turntables
Barwick, England - turntable
Sutton., England - turntable
Swanage, England - turntable
York, England - turntable inside museum.
Dublin, Ireland - turntable
Gisborne, New Zealand - turntable
Ginda, Eritrea - rail-bus turntable
Kumasi, Ghana - abandoned turntable
Brugg (AG), Switzerland - roundhouse/turntable
Uster, Switzerland - roundhouse/turntable
Luzern, Switzerland - turntable
Tapolca, Hungary - turntable
Cheb, CZ - two roundhouses/turntables
Klatovy, CZ - roundhouse/turntable
Olomouc, CZ - (Two) - Roundhouse/turntable 1 and Roundhouse/turntable 2
Brno, CZ - turntable
Madurai, India - abandoned full-circle roundhouse/turntable
Chur, Switzerland - turntable
Matucana, Peru - turntable
Kartuzy, Poland - roundhouse/turntable
Malbork, Poland - two - roundhouse/turntable - and another footprint is across the tracks.
Apizaco, Mexico - roundhouse
Adana, Turkey - roundhouse/turntable
Buzau, Romania - roundhouse/turntable
Knysna, South Africa - turntable
Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania - roundhouse/turntable

And two non-railroad turntables, included here for fun.
Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania - turntable for ships.
Rome, Italy - turntable for directional towers.

Greenfield, MA needs to be corrected to East Deerfield, MA. Greenfield is across the Deerfield River, and the site has always been referred to as East Deerfield. Note turntable site in Turners Falls, as well as the other East Deerfield roundhouse on the older USGS maps.

The former RI turntable in Rock Island has been taken out.

Using historicaerials.com I've now confirmed as correct the bricked turntable location for Turntable Junction in Flemington, NJ. That turntable, and others in NJ is also discussed here.

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:28 PM

Zwingle

More US sites:
Pine Bluff, AR - footprint  ADDED: 34°13'39.10"N 91°59'11.14"W
Colma, CA - turntable  Already in list as Daly City.
Fillmore, CA - turntable  ADDED: 34°23'57.96"N 118°54'35.20"W
Old Saybrook, CT - footprint  Can't find anything here.
Rollag, MN - roundhouse/turntable Already in list.
Unity, ME - turntable ADDED:  44°36'54.03"N 69°19'22.28"W
Canadian, TX - footprint seen via historical imagery.  Link is to Greenville PA,  Looking at Canadian, TX I cannot find a Turntable or Roundhouse... I do see small circle that might be a turntable pit, but it is VERY small.
Greenville, PA - roundhouse/turntable ADDED: 41°23'55.30"N 80°23'13.30"W
Hazelwood, PA - roundhouse/turntable ADDED: 40°25'14.70"N  79°57'2.29"W
Northumberland, PA - footprint  ADDED: 40°53'38.73"N 76°49'1.90"W
Port Clinton, PA - turntable/single stall Already in the list.
Staples, MN - footprint ADDED: 46°21'12.05"N 94°47'43.72"W
Hinkle, OR - turntable ADDED: 45°47'43.58"N 119°18'1.63"W Any comment on how the name if Hinkle?  I cannot find that name on G.E.  I would have named it either Stanfield or Hermiston.
Lewiston, ID - turntable ADDED: 46°25'18.14"N 116°59'13.71"W
Another Memphis, TN - turntable (zoom for an excellent close-up.) ADDED: 89°53'44.39"W 89°53'44.39"W
Avondale, LA - footprint Presently listed as New Orleans... maybe Avondale is better?
Bossier City, LA - pit - turntable best seen in 1989 imagery.  ADDED: 32°31'17.67"N 93°43'58.03"W
Monroe, LA - turntable ADDED: 32°30'17.34"N 92° 6'34.38"W
Baltimore, MD (Kresson) - footprint ADDED: 39°17'46.46"N 76°33'33.38"W as"Kresson (Baltimore)"
Chili, NY - Genesee Jct. turntable remains. (best seen via defoliated 2005 imagery.) Link is to a shore line of a swamp.  I see nothing like a turntable or pit anywhere in the general vicinity in any historical images.
Hermon, ME - roundhouse/turntable TT & RH at Northern Maine Jct, SE of Hermon?
Oakfield, ME -  46° 6'27.80"N 68° 8'50.72"W - footprint in 1996 imagery.  ADDED: 46° 6'27.55"N 68° 8'50.49"W
Logan WV - turntable Already in the list as Peach Creek.

Neck hurts... I'll do more later!

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 297 posts
Posted by Zwingle on Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:47 PM

The Genesee Jct. Turntable is hard to see, but it's there right next to the swamp. Here's more on this site. There are also maps proving the location.

I messed up the Canadian, TX link. These coordinates will take you to the pit. The outline is very clear using 1996 imagery.  35°54'19.46"N 100°24'6.08"W.

Hinkle, Oregon (Wiki)

Hopefully this Old Saybrook link will be correct. I've had some problems using Google Maps. The coordinates will jump all by themselves if I try to zoom in too much. If this happens again, usually just zooming out and looking in the vicinity will take you there. My apologies. Here are the coordinates.  41°17'3.69"N  72°21'4.47"W

Hermon, ME - yep, that's the one. :)

I made some errors in your original thread, too.

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:05 PM

Buffalo, NY 42°51'48.68"N 78°50'53.12"W Nickel Plate ADDED.

Buffalo, NY 42°52'43.09"N 78°49'13.49"W Erie Already in the list.

Buffalo, NY (Gardenville) 42°50'57.56"N 78°45'54.29"W PRR working roundhouse/turntable Already in the list as "W. Seneca".

Buffalo, NY 42°53'26.22"N 78°47'31.66"W DL&W ADDED: But I place this one to the east about 3 blocks, just east of Roland St.  at: 42°53'29.10"N 78°47'21.14"W Listed as "Sloan (Buffalo)"

Buffalo, NY 42°51'26.30"N 78°50'54.46"W B&O Already in the list.

----------------------------------

In addition to verifying the above, I found MORE! Star

NY Sloan (Buffalo)  42°52'41.28"N  78°48'7.84"W
NY Buffalo  42°54'3.41"N  78°48'38.77"W
NY Cheektowaga (Buffalo)  42°52'49.52"N  78°44'28.53"W

It would have been easier if the USGS maps were "NORTH at the TOP" on all of them.  Some of those in your reference link were just slightly off kilter and others were off by "about" 90 degrees.  And some had very little in the way of identifying landmarks or street names. Makes it hard to find the general area where the USGS map shows a Roundhouse.

I doubt if I will get through the rest of your list tonight, but I am going to put off updating the on-line files until I do get caught up. Blindfold

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 29 posts
Posted by DPRNRRColorado on Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:00 PM

Thanks for updating those locations in Buffalo.  Even if you look at an "updated" city map it's hard to tell sometimes just exactly where the borders are.  Others are pretty clear.  But boy those USGS maps can be so far off it's terrible.

Here's the beginning of the Australia list for all to start working on:

Waterfall, NSW --  Tt  --  34 8.046S 150 59.687E

Kiama, NSW  --  Tt  --  34 40.449S 150 51.150E

Bomaderry, NSW  --  Tt  --  34 51.353S 150 36.524E

Goulburn, NSW  --  Rh & Tt  --  34 46.418S 149 42.634E

Thirlmere, NSW  --  Rh & Tt  --  34 12.523S 150 34.061E

Strathfield, NSW  --  Tt  --  33 53.216S 151 3.662E  

Strathfield, NSW  --  Tt  --  33 53.541S 151 4.263E  (these two are very close)

Valley Heights, NSW  --  Rh & Tt  --  33 42.153S 150 34.814E (a museum)

Gosford, NSW  --  Tt  --  33 25.356S 151 20.500E

Cobar, NSW  --  Tt  --  31 29.532S 145 50.445E

Broken Hill  --  Tt  --  31 57.940S 141 27.609E

Cowra, NSW  --  Rh & Tt  --  33 50.552S 148 41.816E

Dorrigo, NSW  --  Tt  --  30 20.180S 152 42.455E

Orange (?) --  Rh & Tt  --  33 17.998S 149 6.079E

This is all I have for NSW ( New South Wales ) at this point except for a couple I'm trying to verify as they are both out of service even for the tourist trade.  There are many more for the other states but for NT ( Northern Territories ) as there is only one line that goes from the "center" on through Alice Springs north to Darwin, and that part was finished only a few years ago, well after the need for Rhs & Tts.

One other that was brought to my attention in Austria is one that is connected with a festival there.  It's in Selzthal at 43 32.996N 14 18.718E and is both a Rh & Tt.  It will be impossible to see with GEs images (even the historical one) but, look on Bing and it's perfectly clear.

TRAINMASTER -- DPRNRRColorado

• 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:48 PM

Zwingle

The Genesee Jct. Turntable is hard to see, but it's there right next to the swamp. Here's more on this site. There are also maps proving the location.

I messed up the Canadian, TX link. These coordinates will take you to the pit. The outline is very clear using 1996 imagery.  35°54'19.46"N 100°24'6.08"W.

Hinkle, Oregon (Wiki)

Hopefully this Old Saybrook link will be correct. I've had some problems using Google Maps. The coordinates will jump all by themselves if I try to zoom in too much. If this happens again, usually just zooming out and looking in the vicinity will take you there. My apologies. Here are the coordinates.  41°17'3.69"N  72°21'4.47"W

Hermon, ME - yep, that's the one. :)

I made some errors in your original thread, too.

Okay, I finally THINK I see a turntable pit at Chili, NY for Genesee Jct. and added it. 43° 5'53.79"N 77°41'24.81"W

I also finally see the footprint of the RH in Canadian, TX.: 35°54'19.46"N 100°24'6.07"W  (Dunno why I didn't see it before!)

Old Saybrook... I added it at: 41°17'3.91"N 72°21'4.29"W, but I just don't feel comfortable with it.  It does "kind of" look like a RH footprint, but not quite right,  In addition the general area seems to be odd for a roundhouse; the area is the Fort Saybrook Monument Park and I am wondering if the outline there is some sort of monument instead of the footprint of roundhouse stalls.

Also, completely off topic... I see a Miniature Golf course to the NE, but what is that snaky like double-trace stuff to the north-northwest?  At first I thought it was a rollercoaster or "Wild Mouse" type of amusement park ride, but it does not seem to have any elevation. Any ideas?

Google Earth also sometimes takes great leaps in random directions if I am zoomed in to close (one of the sites near London was very difficult to get the pushpin centered where I wanted it!).  I also have noticed that as I change the date in the historical imagery the landmarks can move considerable distances.

Oh well... back to your previous list for a while... then on to DPRNRR's latest additions.

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 9,810 posts
Posted by Paul_D_North_Jr on Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:56 PM

Do you have the turntable at Amtrak's (formerly Washington Terminal RR) Ivy City, Washington, D.C.  engine servicing facility, at:   N 38.91767 W 76.98298

How about the partially overgrown turntable and roundhouse at Jamaica Railway's Kingston terminal engine facility and shop, at about: N 17.97290 W 76.80279

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_railway_station,_Jamaica and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railways_of_Jamaica:_Kingston_to_Montego_Bay (3rd line under Kingston 0.0). 

From my Google search,it appears  there well may have been others farther out on the line and at junctions and branches, but I have not seen them or photos myself. 

- Paul North. 

"This Fascinating Railroad Business" (title of 1943 book by Robert Selph Henry of the AAR)
  • 3,293 posts
Posted by Semper Vaporo on Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:59 PM

Macon, GA - footprint ADDED: 32°49'35.52"N 83°37'25.08"W
Alamosa, CO - footprint ADDED: 37°27'55.44"N 105°51'29.52"W
Marmarth, ND - pit/footprint Already in list. 
Grand Forks, ND - roundhouse/turntable Already in list.
Vernon, CT - turntable pit - location referenced here. Can be seen in defoliated 2008 imagery.  ADDED: 41°49'19.90"N 72°28'47.49"W
Hazard, KY - turntable/single stall roundhouse visible in 1999 historic imagery. ADDED: 37°15'34.93"N 83°11'48.41"W
Willits, CA - filled pit ADDED: 39°24'48.53"N 123°21'3.68"W
Little Ferry, NJ - turntable Already listed as "Ridgefield Park".
New Egypt, NJ - Pemberton and Hightstown Railroad single stall and pit best seen in defoliated 2002 imagery. Now razed. The turntable was moved to the Pine Creek Railroad, already on the list as Hawthorne, NJ. The single-stall is easily seen with 1986 imagery. Already in list.
Sheff, IN - footprint barely visible through trees.  Not sure what I am seeing to be able to pick a center.
McComb, MS - footprint  ADDED: 31°14'36.41"N 90°27'0.34"W
Shelbiana, KY - turntable ADDED: 37°25'38.59"N 82°29'33.38"W
Honolulu, HI - replica like in Milwaukee - called "The Roundhouse."  Sorry, that is just not RR related..
Dillwyn, VA - turntable at 37°32'17.39"N  78°27'42.90"W - Can only be seen using Google Earth 2007 imagery. ADDED: 37°32'17.46"N 78°27'42.91"W
Prairie Village, SD - replica roundhouse/turntable ADDED: 44° 0'24.48"N 97°10'15.11"W
International Falls, MN - unusual roundhouse w/track fan. ADDED: 48°36'9.77"N 93°24'2.48"W  I have trouble with this one... No Turntable and Not a ROUND house, but I have listed Turntables with Squarehouses and Roundhouses with Track-fans, so I guess this one counts!  Tongue Tied
Virginia, MN - piece of footprint  I don't see it.
Norton, VA - filled pit  I don't see it.
Victoria, VA - footprint ADDED: 36°59'24.83"N 78°13'32.71"W
Interbay, WA - roundhouse/turntable Already in list as "Seattle, WA".
South Cle Elum, WA - footprint  Added: 47°10'55.35"N 120°57'18.34"W

Another batch... I get'em when I can!  Angel

Semper Vaporo

Pkgs.

• 297 posts
Posted by Zwingle on Monday, January 16, 2012 10:14 AM

I do agree with you about Honolulu, but that means the Milwaukee building should come off too. Neither are railroad-related; only built to look that way. Santa Barbara may also fall into that category, except in that case there really was a roundhouse at or near that location. It's just the later enormous construction for the apartments doesn't look anything like the old wooden roundhouse from before.

Perhaps in instances where the exact center can't be determined, a simple notation would suffice, instead of pretending the site doesn't exist, like Mystic, SD, or the transfer table in Jacksonville, FL. I do like that you are giving reasons for not including something. That way it's easier to go back and find more information/better resolution, or determine what even needs a field verification.

Being able to cross-check the list with your PDF files sure makes searching easier. The only snag is that some sites are named differently, but since this researching is a group effort, that has to be expected.

I missed New Egypt on your list, but as a correction that single-stall has been torn down. Only the slab and overgrown pit remain.

Actually, I shouldn't have named Genesee Jct. as Chili. It should probably be named Genesee Junction, as that's where it's located. It's just that the nearest town is Chili. That would be like calling the old station of Elmira, IA "West Branch."

Here's a ground shot of the preserved roundhouse foundation in Old Saybrook. There's more information here. And this source says the roundhouse was built by the Connecticut Valley Railroad in 1871. I've not been able to find out what those parallel wavy lines are to the northwest. If they weren't so cramped and criss-crossed, I'd say they look like four-wheeler tracks, but in addition to there being very little room, I wouldn't think a city park would permit that for liability reasons alone. Would they?

• 29 posts
Posted by DPRNRRColorado on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:56 PM

On we go with some "Ozzie" sites and a few others that jumbled up in the electronic stacks.

Daylesford, NSW  --  Tt  --  37 20.180S 144 9.245E

Tenterfield, NSW  --  Tt  --  29 2.995S 152 0.368E

Junee, NSW - Rh & Tt - 34 53.012S 147 34.755E

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Tt - 35 7.270S 147 22.522E

Loftus, NSW - Trans Table - 34 2.728S 141 3.115E  This one is a Tram (Trolley) museum

Here are a few from even further south, Tasmania, AU

Hobart, TAS - Rh & Tt - 42 49.863S 147 16.460E

Launceston, TAS - Rh & Tt - 41 25.378S 147 8.455E

Launceston, TAS - Trans Table - 41 25.844S 147 9.740E

Now a couple more US & a Canada that don't show on the newest list, yet.

Nelson, BC - Rh outline - 49 29.403N 117 18.0199W

La Grande, OR - Rh - 45 19.890W 118 5.559W

Oroville, CA - Rh outline - 39 28.978N 141 33.230W

South Cle Elum, WA - Rh outline - 47 10.930N 120 57.325W

Now this next one is in Spain and may just be the one Semper Vaporo was yhinking about that they just about ran over each other (the turntables):

Valladolid, Castile Leon, Spain - 2 TTs & 2 RHS connected - 41 38.417N 4 43.752W

"               "            "          "      - Small Trans Table - 41 38.376N 4 43.608W

"               "            "          "      - Large Trans Table - 41 38.505N 4 43.369W

Well, enough for this time.  Still many more on the list and contacts are letting me know of more around the world.

TRAINMASTER - DPRNRRColorado

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy