Railroad scanners?

1 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    December 2005
  • From: Bristow, VA
  • 45 posts
Railroad scanners?
Posted by drums1427 on Friday, October 20, 2006 9:31 AM

Hello all,


I'm rather new to this forum & have a question.  I would like to be able to more or less narrow down the time to take photographs trains coming through my area (NS coming through northern VA).  I've read that some people use "scanners".  Is that correct?  If it is, what kind of scanners are used & how much do they cost?  Also, how do people find out the number of the train & it's destination or origin? 



  • Member since
    September 2003
  • From: California - moved to North Carolina 2018
  • 4,422 posts
Posted by DSchmitt on Sunday, October 22, 2006 5:49 PM

Here are some websites with tnformation about scanners:

From the on-track-on-line site:

"Brand Names

The primary brand names for hand-held scanners suitable for scanning railroad frequencies are Radio Shack and Bearcat, both made by Uniden America Corporation. In general, the Radio Shack models are more expensive, but there are far fewer stores that carry Bearcat scanners. Bearcat scanners are readily available by mail order however. Other brands can be found at electronic supply outlets also."

I tried to sell my two cents worth, but no one would give me a plug nickel for it.

I don't have a leg to stand on.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy