Trains.com

Who makes the best Engines and Rolling Stock

17 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 27 posts
Who makes the best Engines and Rolling Stock
Posted by mlachap925 on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:09 PM

I realize that each manufacturer has pros and cons to their line, but I would like to have opinions and the pros and cons to the manufacturer that you think is making the best trains and are reasonably priced.  I am looking at building an O Guage layout, as this is what I had when I was younger, but should I be looking at HO since they seem to be more readily available in the market?

Any opinions will be welcome.  I understand in the end it comes down to preference, but I would like some feedback to add into my decision.

Thanks

• 1,247 posts
Posted by Ole Timer on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:41 PM

I myself started in O guage when i was a child .... later switched to HO ... then sold all of HO and went into O scale . I love the metal-diecast and brass O scale much more . So many of the HO engines are plastic and exremely easy to get broken . Like the coca cola commercial says ... get the REAL THING . Just my opinion ...... Wink .... then you are in the BIG BOYS group .

LIFETIME MEMBER === DAV === DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS STEAM ENGINES RULE ++++ CAB FORWARDS and SHAYS
  • 1,475 posts
Posted by overall on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:49 PM

I started in O and later went to HO for a while and then came back to O. I don't know all the reasons why I came back, I guess I just missed the experience of O. I had a lot of very pleasent memories with my O gauge trains and I guess they just called to me.

George

• 8,153 posts
Posted by sir james I on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:05 PM

They all make good three rail trains. It's an exploding question cause many of us have favorites. I prefer Lionel for ease of use and mostly hassel free. Then you also have Atlas, Weaver, Williams and MTH. The last one requires a rechargable battery in order to run. Those that know me here also know what I think of the battery requirement. So you can't go wrong with so much to choose from.

"IT's GOOD TO BE THE KING",by Mel Brooks 

Charter Member- Tardis Train Crew (TTC)   - Detroit3railers-  Detroit Historical society Glancy Modular trains- Charter member BTTS

• 8,026 posts
Posted by fifedog on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:04 PM

I agree with sir james ---> loaded question.

Perhaps a better way of putting it, is which trains would best be suited for X amount of space, with X amount of budget.  That way, we can give you more guidance, than opinion...

• 2,047 posts
Posted by brianel027 on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:44 PM

Gotta go with the others: this is a loaded question and the answer varies on your tastes and budget.

- Are you interested in "true scale" proportioned trains? Atlas Trainman is a good buy in this area, as is Weaver. Lionel and MTH certainly have some nice stuff too.

- Are you interested in command control? Lionel's TMCC is more universal but MTH's DCS has a following. Just more options from other companies with TMCC.

- Is your budget and space tight? Then the traditionally sized trains are the way to go. 027 track is the most economical, but will limit what you can run as far as engine/car length unless you go with a wider radius curve. Tubular 0 has better switches but is more costly, but both 027 and 0 have been made for decades, so used items are readily available.

For the money, Lionel sets are a bargain. For a little more money MTH puts a better quality loco in their Rugged Rails line of sets. The new Williams sets are nice and Williams locos are a bargain for the basic quality and durability you get. New sets though come with the newer molded roadbed track systems which are more expensive BUT have the advantage of allowing you to add on to your layout without having to screw in the track.

The Lionel add-on set packs are the way to go to get more FasTrack and cars at an economical price. And if you live in an apartment, these Lionel starter cars have plastic trucks which are not as noisey on a layout. On the other hand, if you like die-cast trucks, Atlas Industrial Rail is a bargain compared to Lionel similar cars. But the coupler design on the Atlas IR cars can be problematic on 027 curves. The MTH Rugged Rails cars, though not well promoted by MTH, are also a bargain with die-cast trucks and heavier construction than a comparable Lionel car.

The Williams rolling stock mimics the postwar Lionel types. Plus there's always used MPC era Lionel trains, which are bargain priced compared to many other newer trains. And if you are a good shopper, there's still plenty of used common postwar Lionel to be had a fair prices for sure.

I have yet to mention RMT and K-Line. I have lots of the basic traditional K-Line stuff, which is also bargain priced in comparison to others. I like it... runs well and has proven the test of time. RMT is a new company and has many neat products forthcoming this year (we hope). Their BEEP can be a little problematic over switches, but is great for running a basic loop. Their BUDDY is much better and their caboose and hoppers are nice and made in lots of road names.

So there's a start. As far as HO verus O... you're asking that question in the wrong place! Here, the answer is obvious as to which scale is better (though opinions on an HO forum would differ greatly!!).

brianel, Agent 027

"Praise the Lord. I may not have everything I desire, but the Lord has come through for what I need."

• 600 posts
Posted by Joe Hohmann on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:00 PM

If you want "simple", go with postwar Lionel steam engines. Dependable, easy to fix, at a reasonable price. I like new MTH RailKing semi-scale passenger cars, heavyweight or streamlined, to go with these. Good looking at a good price. I also have small layouts for AF postwar "S", and Kato engine and track "N". There are pros and cons for ALL scales...just avoid cheap small scale sets. They are like putting $60. to $80. into the trash.

I also have new "O" remote stuff, but I could give it up if I had to since I don't like things any more complex than need be.

• 51 posts
Posted by JamesShannon on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:01 PM

I cringe when I see the "who is best?" question.  I got back in in 1995 by dusting off the old Lionel stuff from my childhood.  When I looked to expand the three hobby shops that I was trusting at the time had just come off a very bad period of MTH quality and service issues and they steered me back to Lionel. That said, I believe all four major manufacturers make excellent rolling stock and your purchase decision should not be brand specific but situational based on the appeal to you and the value presented. I stuck with Lionel because I run traditional size and only buy TMCC stuff.  At this point in my collecting/running life I am not interested in another digital control system.  When I build my permanent layout I will most definately wire digital control systems (DCS/TMCC) so I can expand my horizons and buy MTH.  Had I started with MTH I would probably be just as happy over the last 14 years its just that I like the Lionel brand and get my needs met running them.  If I was starting today I would definately write down the criterea for my collection: steam/diesel or both, scale or tradditional, digital or transformer control, tin plate to high rail ect....  Once I was sure of a direction I wanted to go I would use this site to identify folks that have what I think I want.  Then I would ask to visit them and run the units you think you want.  Touch, smell, hear, watch and cofirm your choices.  Then go online and test the availibilty and prices of what you want and cost out your options.  If I did all that today I might end up with MTH Rugged Rails locos and everyones rolling stock. Nobody can tell you the correct answer the fun of it is getting your own needs met and having a blast doing it.  Best of luck and use these guys on here as a resource.  I lurk more than participate but this site is the most friendly and helpfull group out of any of my special interest forums. (cars,fishing,trains,)

• 42 posts
Posted by Doofus on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:27 PM

Had nothing but trouble with MTH. I only buy Lionel.

• 9,713 posts
Posted by rtraincollector on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:43 PM

Doofus

Had nothing but trouble with MTH. I only buy Lionel.

SighPerfect example of exactly what I expected to see in here but going both ways.

That said I myself prefer Lionel but I own Weaver, Williams and Lionel engines Oh yeah do have one MTH engine but its a dummy so can't say much about it ( dummy as in nowpowerLaugh) and MTH, William, and Lionel rolling stock. I use to work in a hobby shop off and on helping a freind that owned it and the lionel and MTH that came in with problems new out of the box was about even and we believed it was due to the shipping from over seas. To me the bottom line is what makes you happy and please in futer reframe from whos best questions as we have had wars on here over that. Bottom line they all have there pluses and minuses read up on what you want and make your decisions from that. O gauge mag and CTT both put out reveiws on different engines.

Life's hard, even harder if your stupid  John Wayne

http://rtssite.shutterfly.com/

• 318 posts
Posted by Texas Pete on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:47 PM

They all do.  Yeah!!  HTH.

Cool

Pete

"You can’t study the darkness by flooding it with light."  - Edward Abbey -

• 7,578 posts
Posted by Buckeye Riveter on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:02 PM

As an owner of Lionel, Williams, K-Line, MTH, Bachman G and LGB, the only manufacturer product that has not been sent back for repairs is............................................................

Exciting isn't it.......................................................

WILLIAMS

Never been sent back to the shop for any types of repairs.

Celebrating 18 years on the CTT Forum. Smile, Wink & Grin

Buckeye Riveter......... OTTS Charter Member, a Roseyville Raider and a member of the CTT Forum since 2004..

Jelloway Creek, OH - ELV 1,100 - Home of the Baltimore, Ohio & Wabash RR

TCA 09-64284

• 7,607 posts
Posted by laz 57 on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:41 PM

I have all the manufactures in O gauge save for Atlas and 3rd Rail.  I 'd love to get 3rd rail but can't fund that much $.  All other have differnt aspects and features that I like over the other.  So with that said if you like it buy it.  And have fun with it.  It's all about the hobby.  Enjoy!

laz57

There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't stay still; Robert Service. TCA 03-55991
  • 5,028 posts
Posted by dwiemer on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:37 PM

I have a lot of pieces from most, if not all manufacturers.  I think that competition has helped this hobby quite a bit.  Most modern pieces are made at the same facilities in China and Korea these days.  As Laz said, buy what you like.  Personally, I like some more detailed rolling stock and find most manufacturers have high end pieces that are similar in detail.  My preference is for Lionel and Atlas engines/locomotives.  I have Lionel's Legacy system in place, but have also wired the layout to accept MTH's DCS system.  While most of my powered pieces are Lionel, I also have pieces from the others.   MTH seems to have more smoke output, but Lionel has come a long way.  If that is something that you look for, go to your local hobby shop and see what each offers.  My wife has asthma and so less smoke works for me.  They all have some issues with returns to some degree.  Obviously, the more bells and whistles you have, the more can go wrong. 

Before getting too much of everything, a good idea is to narrow your focus.  What period do you want to model?  Any particular road name?  Any themes?  Some folks like a particular railroad around say, the mid 40s-50s.  That would limit the engines and rolling stock.  So, you would be more inclined to check all manufacturers for pieces that fall into those categories.

Dennis

TCA#09-63805

Charter BTTs.jpg

• 2,236 posts
Posted by traindaddy1 on Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:58 AM

Sign - Welcome to the Forum.  As you can see, many views, opinions and information from a lot of great folks. Whatever you decide, take your time and enjoy the process. Oh, yes, don't be shy. If you have a question, post it.   All the best and have a fine Holiday Season.

• 110 posts
Posted by Papadiesel on Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:43 AM

I will echo traindaddy1's comment. In the computer industry many customers stated that "brand X" was the best, but never tried the others.

Good input guys. It proves that the older you get the smarter you get.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL !

"MAKE A GREAT DAY" ! PapaDiesel
  • 9,713 posts
Posted by rtraincollector on Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:07 AM

Buckeye Riveter

As an owner of Lionel, Williams, K-Line, MTH, Bachman G and LGB, the only manufacturer product that has not been sent back for repairs is............................................................

Exciting isn't it.......................................................

WILLIAMS

Never been sent back to the shop for any types of repairs.

Sorry Buckeye my GG-1 by william not bachmann needs a new sound board and thats the way I received it just haven't sent it back yet but its going

Life's hard, even harder if your stupid  John Wayne

http://rtssite.shutterfly.com/

• 1,340 posts
Posted by Seayakbill on Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:27 AM

Manufacturer selection also depends on what you want for your layout. I am a big Spokane Portland & Seattle fan, MTH has come out with some great locomotives for that railroad, F-3 ABA, 2 types of Alcos, Z-6 Challangers, all with command control. Lionel has only released 2 starter type steam locos for the SP&S. MTH also offers quite a few short line locomotives whereas Lionel concentrates on the major lines. Its all about what you are looking for, I like to run conventional, TMCC, and DCS locomotives, I don't want to limit my ability to operate a specific locomotive.

Bill T.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Classic Toy Trains newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month