Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Anyone give me a cheap conifer ideas?

10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 305,205 posts
Anyone give me a cheap conifer ideas?
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, September 28, 2007 9:20 AM
I am looking for a method to make my own conifers in a cheap manner.  I am willing to do the work I just don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get goodlooking conifers.  I guess I would also like ideas for Decidous trees as well.  I will need to throw a few of them on the layout as well.
  • 10,027 posts
Posted by loathar on Friday, September 28, 2007 9:50 AM

http://www.trains.com/community/forum/topic.asp?page=1&TOPIC_ID=26674

Here's a thread on making conifers. I use about the same method for deciduos trees except I glue a chunk of lichen to the top of the skewer and cover that with ground foam.

• 120 posts
Posted by ssgauge on Friday, September 28, 2007 9:54 AM

I can give you a few ideas, based on what I've done on my current and previous layouts, which have been pretty low-cost.  Maybe you'll find them useful.  First of all, I'd recommend Woodland Scenics foliage, which comes in a mat form.  As the package instructions recommend, I cut out a small section, stretch it into a loose shape and glue it to my "tree."  I use Elmer's white glue.  The foliage mats come in several shades of green (representing spring, late summer) and yellow and orange fall foliage.  There is also a conifer color, a dark blue-green. 

Now, for tree trunks, I use twigs and clippings from woody shrubs.  I don't know where you live, but sagebrush is an excellent source of woody model tree material, especially if you can find a dead plant.  Also, before you dispose of your Christmas tree, look it over for woody material...unlikely as it sounds, I've found Christmas tree branches, especially close to the trunk, that make great deciduous trees trunk and branch structures!

Conifer trunks and branches require some more work.  You may find some naturally straight, tapered woody plant material.  Or, wooden chopsticks can be whittled or sanded into shape, the trunk scored with a razor saw or a rough file, and then stained.  Use a pin vise to drill holes in the trunk for insertion of "branches"...small twigs.  You can stretch the foliage mat material over the whole structure or spray the tree with cheap, scentless hairspray and then dip it into a box of loose foliage material.

By the way, in the process of cutting the foliage mat and stretching it, you'll wind up with some loose foliage material.  Don't discard it...you can coat lichen with Elmer's, dip it into the loose material and make great "shrubs."

Hope this is helpful.  Good luck!

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Friday, September 28, 2007 10:25 AM
I have to agree with loathar on his choice of making trees. I have some of his trees on my layout and they look fantastic.

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, September 28, 2007 11:25 AM

Thanks people.  Now I have a few good methods for trees.  I like the idea of making my own trees from scratch.  Its no fun just buying trees.  You get much more satisfaction when you do things yourself.  I am building my first layout from scratch.  I just got back into my trains when I took them out of storage (after 15 years) and hooked them up for my nephew.  Now that I am older I have the patience to do things methodically. I figured I could start my own layout.

Thanks

Smitty

• 4,393 posts
Posted by ARTHILL on Friday, September 28, 2007 2:20 PM

Aggro's furnace filter on a stick makes good conifers cheap. I use the dried flowers form the Assilbe plant also. Neither make White pine but great "Christmas trees".

These are Asstilbe

These are Furnace filter on a stick

If you need, there are instructions availible form many of us.

If you think you have it right, your standards are too low. my photos http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/ARTHILL/ Art
  • 3,574 posts
Posted by Mark R. on Friday, September 28, 2007 2:33 PM

I make my own trees and ground foam as well. Having needed literally thousands of trees, I wasn't about to pay the hobby shop for them !!! I grind up old seat cushions and dye the foam with diluted latex paint of my own color choosing. I go out every year usually around late November / December and gather boxes of dried weeds that have a good looking tree shape to them. A heavy coating of spray adhesive firmly attaches the foam to the dried weeds.

Nature provides us with a LOT of scenery materials from dirt to rocks to trees .... and it's all FREE !!!  Here's a shot showing a few of my home-made "weed trees" ....

Mark.

¡ uʍop ǝpısdn sı ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs ʎɯ 'dlǝɥ

• 100 posts
Posted by FloridaPanhandler on Friday, September 28, 2007 3:04 PM
Mark that is fantastic work!  I had to do a few double-takes to make sure that was a model!  Excellent trees and overall scenery.  I like the way your trees have distinct branches that are sticking out amongst the bridge framework.
http://longleaf-rails.blogspot.com/
  • 4,115 posts
Posted by tatans on Saturday, September 29, 2007 2:59 PM
Mark R.--- the photo is unbelievable( that is, if it's NOT a real photo) great work ! !
  • From: The place where I come from is a small town. They think so small, they use small words.
  • 1,141 posts
Posted by twcenterprises on Sunday, September 30, 2007 2:23 AM

Aww, come on, couldn't you tell that was his models Photoshop'ped onto a "real photo"?Big Smile [:D]

Seriously, that's a nice shot!

Brad 

EMD - Every Model Different

ALCO - Always Leaking Coolant and Oil

CSX - Coal Spilling eXperts

• 2,313 posts
Posted by gear-jammer on Sunday, September 30, 2007 10:11 PM

I use butterfly bushes.  I dry them; preserve them with something similar to Matte Medium; let them dry upside down from a closeline.  I then use hairspray, ground foam, hairspray, ground foam, until I have the desired effect.

I use Aggro Trees for the larger trees.  On both, I use darker colors on the inside to give contrast.

I also use sedum for maple trees.

Sue

Anything is possible if you do not know what you are talking about.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all