My son is 5 and LOVES his new O scale RailKing set. I like it, too. It makes fantastic smoke and plenty of it. I am VERY concerned about his inhaling the smoke which is made by drops of mineral oil (Proto-smoke). The bottle gives pretty heavy warnings about ingesting it...it is toxic. I've been doing some research and found one thing about inhaling - something about it forming a mass on the lungs over time. Can anyone tell me if Proto-smoke is dangerous when inhaled? Thanks.
Lionel collector, stuck in an N scaler's modelling space.
ummmm..... yes it is. http://www.trains.com/trccs/forums/1013203/ShowPost.aspx
Have fun with your trains
I agree. It's nothing to get worked up about just as long as you use common sense.
Also, the link above mentions dire warnings about ingesting smoke fluid. As it's just mineral oil, it's completely safe to drink just as long as you don't induce vomiting(I wouldn't suggest drinking it, though, just saying that it's safe). Stay close to the toilet, too, if you do accidentally ingest some of it.