Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Modelling realistic looking urban railroading scenes

41 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 3,417 posts
Modelling realistic looking urban railroading scenes
Posted by steinjr on Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:02 PM

I love railroad scenes set in urban (city like) surroundings, and am building a layout set in urban surroundings myself (Warehouse district on the west bank of the Mississippi in Minneapolis ca 1960).

While looking for inspiration for my layout I have found a few resources I thought I would share - there might be other readers here who hasn't seen these yet. If you have other examples/resources/hints and tips or pictures of your urban scenes you are willing to share, feel free to chime in. 

The word urban ("city-like") means different things to different people. What I'd like to do in this thread is to share links to some realistic looking urban scenes I have found in these forums and other places on the web, and give us a place to share techniques, hints and tips that each of us have found to work well when creating urban scenes. 

But before we continue: two ground "rules":

I) If anyone is willing to share pictures of their urban scenes, I suspect that quite a few of us would be very interested in learning not just how it looks (ie the picture itself), but also a few words on how and why things have been done the way they have, and perhaps a few words about lessons learned while working on that scene.

Obviously I am not expecting people to write a full book, or to do a step by step photo tutorial starting from scratch, but learning from each other a little bit about why, how and tips & tricks makes the underlying ideas easier to apply for other modellers.  

II) Some modellers are already masters of their art, some are still in the journeyman phase of their modelling.

For the more seasoned modellers: in this thread, please refrain from making strongly negative comments about the modelling skills (or lack thereof) of fellow modellers. If you have a suggestion for a better technique to accomplish the result the other poster is going for - post a few words about your technique instead of a putdown about other poster's technique.

At the same time - for those of us (including myself) who are relatively new to modelling or the forum -  what this thread is about is modelling urban scenes. Let us try to limit ourselves a little and not post large amounts of out-of-focus pictures of our every grafitti covered boxcar or our every building that might conceivably be called an urban structure. Or in my own case - not post the entire life history of every track plan I have ever drawn Smile [:)]

Having said all that - on to the fun stuff - sources I have found for inspiration and information on realistic looking urban railroading scenes, in no particular order:

Some useful resources I know about:  

R1)  John Pryke's book "Building City Scenery for Your Railroad"

One resource I have greatly enjoyed on modelling city/urban scenes is John Pryke's excellent book "Building City Scenery for Your Railroad", which grew from the four part series he did in Model Railroader Magazine from September to December 2000 about the Boston based project railroad "Union Terminal Railroad".

If you haven't seen this layout, Andrew Martin has a track plan/design (Boxcar Haven) heavily inspired by a corner of John Pryke's UTRR: http://andrews-trains.fotopic.net/p14832720.html.

For people who want to pick up a copy of John's book, which contains a wealth of information on techniques for modelling large city scenes (as opposed to smalltown scenes), our hosts from Kalmbach sell this book through their yahoo shop at URL:

http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12204.html). 

R2) Jeff Wilson's book "Basic Structure Modelling for Model Railroaders"

This book contain a wealth of tips on building and detailing "structures" (ie buildings). It is also available from our hosts Kalmbach: http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12258.html

Some urban layouts that have provided inspiration :

1)  English modeller Jon Grant's "Sweethome Chicago" layout:
  http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2703

2) Dr Wayne's layout:
 http://tinyurl.com/trains-drwayne

Edit: added more inspirational layouts:

3) Byron Henderson's "Oakland Harbor Belt" layout:
 http://home.earthlink.net/~hendoweb/ohb/

4) American Railroad Association of Ghent, Belgium: "New Ponca Yard"
 http://www.freewebs.com/newponcayard/index.htm

5) German poster Wolfgang Dudler's "Westport Terminal" layout:
 http://www.westportterminal.de/room.html

6) Jim Senese's "Kansas City Terminal RR"  in Model Railroad Planning 1998

7) Chuch Hitchcock's "Argentine Industrial District Railway" from Model Railroader feb 2007
 Track plan (MR subscribers only): http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=1179

8)  Bernie Kempinski's NYCH's Bush Terminal RR in MRP 2003

9) Linda Sand's Nicolet Avenue layout in MRP 1998

10) Mr Beasley's layout
    (search for user "misterbeasley" using this forum search function)

MR back issues can be ordered from Kalmbach at:
http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/model-railroading-model-railroader-magazine-back-issues.html

MRP back issues can be ordered from Kalmbach at:
http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/model-railroading-model-railroad-planning.html 

Anything the rest of you would like to share ?

Smile,
 Stein

• 162 posts
Posted by 60YOKID on Sunday, August 31, 2008 2:21 AM

[I love railroad scenes set in urban (city like) surroundings, and am building a layout set in urban surroundings myself (Warehouse district on the west bank of the Mississippi in Minneapolis ca 1960).]

I would only add that Minneapolis is in Minnesota, not Ca.

Those are a lot of great links! Thanks

• 3,571 posts
Posted by Mark R. on Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:43 AM

Vic Smith has been a long time favorite urban modeller of mine. His work has been featured in a few magazines over the years - I can sit there at great lengths and study the pictures, always seeing something new ....

Unfortunately, try as I might, his work seems to be VERY limited as to any online content (?) ANYone have any links to share ?

Mark.

¡ uʍop ǝpısdn sı ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs ʎɯ 'dlǝɥ

• 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:00 AM

Wow - those Vic Smith layout pictures look good !

I just remembered another web page with urban layout pictures:

Urban Modellers SIG: http://www.trainsarefun.com/urbanmodeling/urban.htm 

This web page contains links to several other great urban layouts (The Severna Park Model Railroad Club layout - featured in MR recently, Bill Denton's Kingsbury Branch, Jim Senese's Kansas City Terminal and several others).

Nick Kalis also has a web page here with "41 hints for urban modellers":

http://www.trainsarefun.com/urbanmodeling/41hints.htm 

Smile,
 Stein

• 21,424 posts
Posted by MisterBeasley on Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:02 AM

Since you gave me the great honor of inclusion in your list, I'll start off with some technique pictures.  This area is "downtown Moose Bay," really just a couple of intersections with a few 3 and 4 story structures.  I was playing with how to do this myself, but I was pretty happy with the results.

My first step was to elevate the base level for the structures just slightly, just the thickness of one sheet of styrene, so that I could fill the space between with "asphalt," which in my case is Durham's Water Putty.

Then, I made up the "sidewalks," again from a sheet of styrene.  For these, I traced the outline of each structure, and cut out the center so that the structures would sit inside the sidewalks.  This hides the base of the buildings, and also provides a light-block so that those buildings with illuminated interiors don't have light leaking out at the bottom.

The streets are painted "gray," and the sidewalks are "rainy day gray," just enough of a difference that the eye can distinguish the two.   I applied lines to the sidewalks with a #2 pencil.

I didn't use prototype-width roadways for a couple of reasons.  First, I was limited by space, and second, the narrower roads compress the scene a bit and enhance the "concrete canyon" look of cities, even if the buildings are only 3 stories tall.  This look down Penny Lane shows the narrower roadway, 2 1/2 inches, as opposed to the wider 3 inch thoroughfare of Lonely Street, where the red-and-white 56 Chevy is passing:

I increased the tightness of the scene even more by using narrow sidewalks, too.  This is the dimension where I was squeezed for space, so I crunched it down.

It takes an iron man to play with a toy iron horse. 

• 3,571 posts
Posted by Mark R. on Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:22 AM

Hows about another Vic Smith pic ? ....

Mark.

¡ uʍop ǝpısdn sı ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs ʎɯ 'dlǝɥ

• 13,375 posts
Posted by doctorwayne on Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:44 PM

Thanks so much for including my layout in your list of links, Stein, and thanks too for all of the other ones - some excellent modelling there.

Wayne

• 1,592 posts
Posted by Grampys Trains on Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:55 PM
Hi 60YOKID: Uh, I believe Stein used ca, (circa, 1960, means about 1960), not capitalized Ca. which would mean California.Big Smile [:D]
  • 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Sunday, August 31, 2008 1:42 PM

Mister B - thank you for a great explanation of how to do foundations, streets and sidewalks to create that wonderful urban canyon feeling even with fairly low buildings. I hope people are taking notes - that looks like a technique that produces really good looking urban canyon style streets! That last little non-urban corner on my layout really cries out to be redeveloped into a small city neighbourhood with streets like that! :-)

Mark - that Vic Smith layout picture with the really tall buildings behind the raised track is amazing. Do you happen to know how deep this scene is and what he did here ? In general, I see people recommending doing up to four-five layers to get forced perspective - full size building in front, then partial building, then almost-flat, then paper cutouts glued to brackdrop.

Wayne - your obviously belongs on my list of inspiring layouts that have citylike parts - what you have done with the part where you have the coal dealer and icehouse etc looks very convincingly like a city.

And 60YOKID and Grampy - yep - I meant Minneapolis circa 1960, not Minneapolis, CA :-) I guess I should have included your city, too, Grampy - your layout might not come across as mainly an urban layout - but that large city served by the Reading you have in the corner of your layout is a wonderful scenic background city.

Keep em coming people - there are quite a few wonderful urban scenes out there!

Smile,
 Stein

• 2,377 posts
Posted by leighant on Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:56 PM

Back in 1971-2, I built what was supposed to be a scene typical of Berlin Germany on a 27" x 34" layout.  Not any really large or tall buildings, but density.  Double-track elevated line and station, grade separation for vehicles.  Making nearly all the buildings in the 5-6 story range would have been better for this Berlin scene.

I have not even started mockup of the downtown city scene for my Galveston layout.   I have done some mockup placement of buildings for the amusement district.  Most of these are IHC Victorians I bought built-up as kitbashing fodder.

This is not big-city downtown, but it is not small town and it is not 1950s suburbs.  It is the not-far-outside the downtown district of a medium sized city.  Mostly 2 1/2 story houses but the DENSITY and lot patterns should suggest town lots.  Galveston had alleys with small secondary houses as servant quarters in late 1800s and cheap rentals on same lot as fine front houses in 1900s.

This is a tiny alley house.  I want to cram many of these into the residential district.

• 21,424 posts
Posted by MisterBeasley on Sunday, August 31, 2008 7:07 PM

I grew up in the 'burbs outside of New York City.  This led, naturally, to my fascination with subways.  When I returned to the hobby after a long absence and found the LifeLike R-17 subway trains, I knew what I wanted to model.  My subway stations are not so much prototypical as memory-typical.  They emphasize the things I remember from childhood, like the tile walls and girder construction.  They've been tempered a bit with more recent visits to our local Boston system, another classic which adds the variety of light-rail cars to the mix.

Another strong memory of growing up in the Transition Era was advertising.  Although many of us think of ads plastered on buildings and billboards as a blight, the old ads themselves and the products they represented trigger old images for many of us.  These pictures instantly take us back in time, which is one of the goals of my railroad.  To detail my structures, I turned to the Internet to find old ads, and then spent some time learning to print and apply my own decals.  While most of us strive for smooth, clean decal applications on our trains, I'm just delighted when a decal applied to a rough brick surface looks like it's been out in the weather for a decade or more:

Yeah, Ted Williams, the Boston Red Sox, and Moxie.  If that doesn't bring a smile to your face, well, then, you must be a Yankees fan.  (Sorry, Brooklyn Dodgers myself.  How many of our younger members know that the Dodgers, Giants and Yanks could get between their respective ballparks on the subway, lo these many years ago?  And the Dodgers even got their name from the streetcars of Brooklyn - they were originally the "Trolley Dodgers.")

This is another one, one of the few ads I specifically searched for.  I added a small urban park, named after made-up Civil War hero Colonel John Buford Brad.  The park which bears his name is an inside joke for Ranger and Bruins fans:

Another thing I always noticed on trips into the city was fire escapes.  Unknown out in our sprawling suburban neighborhood, they were a fact of life for the low-rise apartments where my parents grew up.  These are the Walters ones, added on to the back of Model Power's "Baldy's Barber Shop."

It takes an iron man to play with a toy iron horse. 

• 3,290 posts
Posted by gandydancer19 on Sunday, August 31, 2008 7:40 PM

I have a place on my layout where a number of tracks go to different levels. (Yea, I know, the grades are kind of steep looking. Each level is a two inch change.) The rear bridge will go to a Walthers Ore Dock.

One challenging part was to find some simple, acceptable, and good looking bridge supports and then make them look realistic. The simple supports are from an HO Lionel overpass set that I bought on eBay. The track was supposed to be attached directly to them, but I used them as supports for deck girders etc. and added concrete footings at the bottom.  You can see them on the front bridge and the back bridge (red).

Another challenge was the supports for the middle bridge and two supports (far right) for the rear bridge.  It turned out to be an imagineering project. One that entailed thinking "How would they have done it in the real world." I wound up using girders to span the lower track and made the supports for the upper bridges rest on them.

The buildings for this scene are missing as I haven't unpacked them yet, and more work needs to be done in other areas as it is not complete yet.

Elmer.

The above is my opinion, from an active and experienced Model Railroader in N scale and HO since 1961.

(Modeling Freelance, Eastern US, HO scale, in 1962, with NCE DCC for locomotive control and a stand alone LocoNet for block detection and signals.) http://waynes-trains.com/ at home, and N scale at the Club.

• 13,375 posts
Posted by doctorwayne on Sunday, August 31, 2008 7:44 PM

Good lookin' scenes Mister B.  Wink [;)]  I took inspiration from a lot of my chilhood impressions, too, although most of my scenes are "interpretive" rather than models of a specific site.  The "wrong side of the tracks" looked so inviting, but was off-limits to a five year old.

Wayne

• 1,592 posts
Posted by Grampys Trains on Sunday, August 31, 2008 8:51 PM
Hi Stein: This is a great idea for a thread. I grew up in rural Pa., so natually, this is what I'm most familiar with. I've also spent considerable time in mountains of Pa. I have been to some big cities, NYC, La, Phila., Chicago, Boston, Toronto, etc. I have great admiration for modelers who do urban scenery, like the people who you've mentioned, so far. I chose to model mountains and hills, but I did have a corner that I definitely did not want any track, out of reach. So I modeled my impression of a city in the backround, with a yard on the outskirts of that city. My effort isn't even close to some of the great scenes already posted. I got most of my techniques from John Pryke's book "Modeling City Scenery". Things like, building it at least 2" above the surrounding scenery, using layers, and angling the streets. So, here's my attempt at modeling urban scenery.     
  • 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Monday, September 1, 2008 5:41 PM
 Mark R. wrote:

Vic Smith has been a long time favorite urban modeller of mine. His work has been featured in a few magazines over the years - I can sit there at great lengths and study the pictures, always seeing something new ....

Unfortunately, try as I might, his work seems to be VERY limited as to any online content (?) ANYone have any links to share ?

I found this web page: http://www.pbase.com/golden1014/miscellaneous_rr_photos&page=1

Seems to be more pics from the same Vic Smith layout (in St Louis) ?

Speaking of St Louis - the Gateway division of the NMRA has done several small project layouts where they have used city buildings as a scenic divider on a 4x6 or 4x8 H0 island style layouts: http://www.gatewaynmra.org/project.htm

Smile,
 Stein

• 10,027 posts
Posted by loathar on Monday, September 1, 2008 10:45 PM
WOW! Excellent thread!Thumbs Up [tup] I just started laying out my city and this will really come in handy.
  • 4,000 posts
Posted by jecorbett on Friday, March 13, 2009 12:33 PM

MisterBeasley

How many of our younger members know that the Dodgers, Giants and Yanks could get between their respective ballparks on the subway, lo these many years ago? 

Probably even fewer know that Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds were on opposite sides of the Harlem River, less than a mile apart. You could see one ballpark from the other. I can't believe they are going to bring down Yankee Stadium. It should be named an historic landmark. And I grew up hating the Yankees.

• 282 posts
Posted by hcc25rl on Friday, March 13, 2009 8:11 PM

I believe Steinjr was using "ca" to indicate circa, meaning around that time. (fomr Latin)

Jimmy

Jimmy

ROUTE ROCK!

• 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:35 AM

hcc25rl

I believe Steinjr was using "ca" to indicate circa, meaning around that time. (fomr Latin)

Jimmy

You believe correctly - as I wrote in my post from August 31st 2008 (ie over six months ago) in this thread :

steinjr
And 60YOKID and Grampy - yep - I meant Minneapolis circa 1960, not Minneapolis, CA :-)

Anyone have any new pics of urban switching layouts ? 

My layout is still very much a work in (slow) progress, and it looks downright ugly compared with the beauties further up in this thread, but here is a picture from a fairly urban part of my layout :-) :

A CMSt.P & O ("Omaha Road") GE 70-tonner comes down the mainline through the mill district in Minneapolis with a loaded reefer car for "New York Egg and Butter" a little down the line. To the left we see about 2/3rds of the 24 silos of the North Star Elevator and Mill Company.

Middle track runs into the Mill building (black cardboard place holder straight ahead). Tracks to the left goes off to Williams Hardware warehouse and to Hunt's Perfect Baking Powder Company (which may eventually turn into the flour shipping building for the North Star Elevator and Mill).

And here a link to a thread posted by forum regular markalan, describing his Portland Terminal Railroad, which is a far nice looking urban layout than my layout:

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/p/140225/1562248.aspx

Smile,
 Stein

• 1,592 posts
Posted by Grampys Trains on Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:05 PM

Hi: Stein, I was wondering how your layout was coming along. It's looking good, so far. Will those tracks be street running?

• 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:21 AM

Grampys Trains

Hi: Stein, I was wondering how your layout was coming along. It's looking good, so far. Will those tracks be street running?

Mmm - street running would have been cool, but I hadn't really planned to make this section street running - I was more envisioning something like  several parallell RR tracks on  a dedicated right of way, maybe with a dirt track for trucks and cars along the RR tracks.

Some prototype photos of ROW and roads from 1958 (I am shooting for about 1957 or so):

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/image.cfm?imageid=180282

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/image.cfm?imageid=180281

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/image.cfm?imageid=180279

Here is a newer picture of the milling complex taken while I am working on fitting the new milling building in the front (it is just kept together with tape at the moment):

I know the picture is too dark, and that the grass and dirt track road still looks darn ugly - was just a quick experiment Smile

Finally - here is an overview picture of the current state of the milling district scene taken from normal viewing heigt while standing from the doorway to my room - you see the elevators from the last picture in the background.

Part of my intension is that there will be elevated enclosed walkways/conveyor belts across from the building flats along the wall to mill building in the foreground - one above where the tank car is in the last picture, one above where the reefer car is in the first picture.

Model railroad inspiration for the elevated walkways from forum regular poster Dr Wayne's layout:

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/gallery/image.php?image_id=95

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/gallery/image.php?image_id=85

But I also found some prototypical inspiration for elevated walkways in the milling district:

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/image.cfm?imageid=79034

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/image.cfm?imageid=79253

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/image.cfm?imageid=169996

Smile,
Stein

• 1,592 posts
Posted by Grampys Trains on Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:16 AM

Hi Stein: Thanks for the update. It looks like that is going to be an impressive and interesting scene. The hardest part is figuring out what you want to accomplish, and you've certainly gotten that well in hand. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed area, I'm sure it will be great!  Please keep up posted.

• 3,495 posts
Posted by nbrodar on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:55 AM

I highly recommend John Pryke's Building City Scenery book.

Currently, the majority of my urban railroading scenery is limited to larger industrial buildings...

But I do have the basics outlined for my town scene

Nick

Take a Ride on the Reading with the: Reading Company Technical & Historical Society http://www.readingrailroad.org/

• 381 posts
Posted by Hudson on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:25 AM

I just wanted to say this a great thread. So much info and incredible layouts.

• 94 posts
Posted by Trace Fork on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:36 AM

Great topic.

I for one have always thought an urban setting that begs to be modeled, is the "Flats" along the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland OH in the transition era.  On the downtown side of the river were many small industries, businesses and warehouses that were served by rail along a narrow shelf on the river bank. On the opposite side of the river were many heavy industries including steel mills, and shipbuilders, all served by rail.  And if you like to model bridges, the Flats had them.  From river level draw and swing spans both road and rail, to towering spans that carried both roads and rails (under wire no less) across the river valley to the downtown area and Terminal Tower.

The Cleveland Public Library has a wide selection of historical photographs available for on-line viewing. http://cplorg.cdmhost.com/  I encourage all to take a look. Just type flats into the search box. I found these to be quite inspirational, and trust others here will do the same.

One of these days I will decide what I want to model, but the Cleveland Flats is definately on my top ten list.

Jim J. 

I REALLY FEEL MUCH BETTER, NOW THAT I'VE GIVEN UP ALL HOPE
  • 1,710 posts
Posted by reklein on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:13 PM

Quite a few years back MR had a good article on Urban Minneapolis railroading or was it RMC? Anyways after an hour of looking I came up with articles by Earl Smallshaw. He has a ton of articles on the urban scene.In May (* Bill Denton has a good article called Switching Chicagaos North Side.Jan 99 Art Currens article called a two faced industrial siding is a good one for space saving.Sept.200 MR has a good article on a Boston switching layout thats outstanding. Thats all I could find so far. Even Furlow had an urban design. BILL

In Lewiston Idaho,where they filmed Breakheart pass.
  • 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:49 AM

reklein

Quite a few years back MR had a good article on Urban Minneapolis railroading or was it RMC? Anyways after an hour of looking I came up with articles by Earl Smallshaw. He has a ton of articles on the urban scene.

Here is a search from http://index.mrmag.com that lists articles by Earl Smallshaw that has been cataloged:

http://index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=S&sort=A&output=3&cmdtext=SMALLSHAW%2C+EARL

Some of his articles:

The other side of town - city scenery
Model Railroader, July 1992 page 70 

Urban scenery - good article on all aspects of city scenes
Model Railroader, July 1989 page 102 

Modeling tenements
Model Railroader, February 1989 page 76 

Urban Modeling of a Small City
Layout Design Journal/News, November 1987 page 31

reklein

In May (* Bill Denton has a good article called Switching Chicagaos North Side.

Switching Chicago's North Side
Model Railroader, May 1998 page 58 

Other articles by Bill Denton:

http://index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=S&sort=A&output=3&cmdtext=%22DENTON%2C+BILL%22

You can see some pictures of Bill Denton's Kingsbury Branch on the Urban Modellers SIG web page

http://www.trainsarefun.com/urbanmodeling/urban.htm 

This web page contains links to several other great urban layouts (The Severna Park Model Railroad Club layout - featured in MR recently, Bill Denton's Kingsbury Branch, Jim Senese's Kansas City Terminal and several others).

reklein

Jan 99 Art Currens article called a two faced industrial siding is a good one for space saving.

Haven't read that one - what's the basic concept ? Having buildings on a peninsula which look different on each side (ie so it looks like one business when viewed from one side of peninsula and another when looking from the other side of the peninsula), or having one track serve industries on both sides of the track, or something else ?

reklein

Sept. 2000 MR has a good article on a Boston switching layout thats outstanding.

That would be John Pryke's Union Terminal RR - a 4 part series on building it appeared in Model Railroader from September 2000 until December 2000.

The series eventually was expanded into an excellent book modelling city/urban scenes.

John Pryke: "Building City Scenery for Your Railroad".

A plan for a particularily interesting scene from this layout used to be available on Andrew Martin's web site http://andrews-trains.fotopic.net/p14832720.html.

Sadly, it appear like Andrew's web site is no more - it appears to have been parked some time during the last 6 months. John Pryke's book (and back issues of MR) are still very much with us.

Smile,
 Stein

• 1,710 posts
Posted by reklein on Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:35 AM

Looks like you got a pretty good handle on these articles. I did'nt look at MRs search feature till this morning. I actually went through my collection of MRs and physically looked at each one for the article. Still didn't find the Minneapolis RR. I feel a little dumb.Dunce The advantage however was that I saw a lot of stuff that I didn't know I was looking for.I'm one of those persons who can't simply look up one word in a dictionary,I always get sidetraacked.

The Curren article is how you describe it,in that it is a peninsula with a track down either side with buildings in the middle as a view block.I'm not much of an urban modeler as I like te logging and mining scenes that I am familiar with in locale where I live. Painting all those window sill is daunting to me. BILL

In Lewiston Idaho,where they filmed Breakheart pass.
  • 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:43 AM

This is excellent timing, I just decided to finish a long incomplete HOn30 microlayout with dense urban/town type scenery, this thread will come in handy.

BTW ...I am NOT the same Vic Smith mentioned on page one, just to get that on the table if any newbies get confusicated, he lives in the mid-west, I'm on the west coast. Seen his stuff published, it is very nice.

Anyway more questions likely to follow as I resurrect those long dead parts of my decades old past in HO. Vic

Have fun with your trains

• 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:49 PM

reklein
I actually went through my collection of MRs and physically looked at each one for the article. Still didn't find the Minneapolis RR.

Hmm - wonder if Mpls layout you were thinking about be Linda Sand's "Industrial Switching in N and H0", from Model Railroad Planning 1998?

Those were two excellent L shaped urban industrial switching layout plans, set along Nicollet Avenue in Minneapolis.

Smile,
 Stein

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all