Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Model Railroader Featured Layout

14 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 323 posts
Model Railroader Featured Layout
Posted by Bdewoody on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:45 PM

I was very pleased to see in this months mag. the layout that MRR will be featuring over the next few months.  The layout I have been planning and is currently under construction is very similar although quite a bit smaller than the one at MRR.  Mine is 8' x 10' x 2' deep L shaped shelf layout.  Even though one can't run continuous trains around a loop there is plenty to do if you like a switching operation.

I am looking forward to future installments and I hope to adapt some of the WSOR elements to my pike.

Thanks guys.

Bob DeWoody
  • 50 posts
Posted by Trainman24 on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:28 PM

It sounds like it will be an intresting layout and fun to switch with.Sign - Dots [#dots]

• 2,916 posts
Posted by wm3798 on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:33 PM

It looks like it will be a good backdrop for Walthers ads... very little creativity shown in the selection of structures and details.

Just another episode of "Spending Money on our Advertisers = Model Railroading"

I will be interested to read about the operational aspect of it.  David Popp has a good eye for interesting ops. 

But will someone get him a new apron?  That thing's getting pretty ratty! 

Lee 

Route of the Alpha Jets  www.wmrywesternlines.net

• 323 posts
Posted by Bdewoody on Sunday, December 9, 2007 3:06 AM
I hope the lack of response to this post isn't an indication that most model railroaders don't consider a shelf layout an option when space is limited.
Bob DeWoody
  • 3,150 posts
Posted by CNJ831 on Sunday, December 9, 2007 10:21 AM

I, too, am interested in seeing how this new section of layout turns out. However, I wish they had provided a quick review of the existing old Troy & Northern (the only surviving section of the original MR&T) before wiping it away, so that a comparison of ideas and usage of space could have been made by readers. A missed opportunity, in my opinion.

CNJ831

• 10,027 posts
Posted by loathar on Sunday, December 9, 2007 10:33 AM

Bdewoody wrote:
I hope the lack of response to this post isn't an indication that most model railroaders don't consider a shelf layout an option when space is limited.

Nope! Just means I live in the middle of nowhere and they are about 2-3 weeks behind the rest of the world in getting the new issues on the shelf.Disapprove [V](haven't seen it yet)

• 89 posts
Posted by rfross on Sunday, December 9, 2007 10:55 AM

I'm looking forward to this new series. I'm in the process of constructing a 2-rail O-scale shelf switching layout around three walls of a spare bedroom. The width of the shelf varies from around 16" - 18" all the way up to a max of 27" and it has approximately 33 linear feet of track. It has a hinged drop down swing leaf for staging where it crosses in front of a closet and a lift out section where it crosses in front of the bedroom door. It's high enough off the floor at 54" that it will be easy to duck under to get in and out of the room during operating sessions.

I had originally designed the benchwork for HO but ended up selling off all the HO and moved up to O-scale. I have no regrets, with the exception that there is just so much more of everything (freight cars, structures, automobiles, trucks, etc) in HO. Given that O takes up more space than HO I settled on a much simpler track plan than what I would have done in HO. It will still provide reasonably challenging switching ops and a chance to do some detailed scenic work. Since I am modeling a protype short-line it will be realistic, too.

Shelf layouts offer everything to a modeler that any sort of loop type layout does with the exception of continuous running. While continuous running is a nice thing to have sometimes, for me, switching is where it's at.

Modeling the Ballard Terminal Railroad (a former Northern Pacific line) in Ballard, a district north of downtown Seattle in 1968, on a two-rail O-scale shelf switching layout. The Ballard Terminal didn't exist in 1968 but my version of the BTRR is using NP power. (My avatar photo was taken by Doc Wightman of Seattle)
  • 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Sunday, December 9, 2007 2:04 PM

Bdewoody wrote:

Hard to find something to disagree with or comment on in your post. I guess I could add a "me too" - I looked at the Wisconsin & Southern Troy track plan on model railroader website, and I am also looking forward to getting the magazine.

Shelf layouts are fun. And there are quite a few interesting ones out there. Here is a handful of shelf layouts from the net that I like (of the ones I know about - I am sure there are a lot of other ones out there) :

And there of course has been a few great shelf plans published in Model Railroader and Model Railroad Planning. A few ones I liked, in no particular order:

• Howard Scodras Ontabec Central, in Model Railroader Feb 2005
  • Jonathan Jones Mid-Atlantic & Western Ry, in Model Railroader May 2001
  • Pike City Belt Line, in Model Railroader Sept 1998
  • Jerry Strangarity's City Scene from Reading Co, Great Model Railroads 2003
  • Linda Sand's "Industrial Switching in N and H0", Model Railroad Planning 1998
  • Linda Sand's "Big-city Railroads don't require big spaces", Model Railroad Planning 1999
  • Linda Sand's "Sherman Paper Co", Model Railroad Planning 2006
  • Bernie Kempinskis "New York Cross Harbor", Model Railroad Planning 2003
  • Dave Husman's "Two Plans for a dorm room"

Other sources:

• Ian Rice has quite a few interesting shelf designs in his "Small, Smart and Practical Layouts"
  • Carl Arendt also has a web site with a lot of small layouts http://www.carendt.com/

I am sure there are other shelf layouts that deserve a mention. David Barrow's sectional "Cat Mountain and Santa Fe" for sure. Probably a lot more I have forgotten in this list.

A last one - this one is not a classic - but it is mine Big Smile [:D] 
 Stein Rypern's Progressive Rail 

Grin,
 Stein

• 195 posts
Posted by SBCA on Monday, December 10, 2007 11:25 AM

Stein,

What a great list!

By all means, please visit:

www.lancemindheim.com

His HO layout was feature in GMR 2008.

I am very interested in the newest MR project layout, and enjoyed the first article.  This is the first time I recall since possibly David Barrow's South Plains District that a long-term, several-issue project layout has been a shelf layout.

Ideally, I'd have continuous running on my next layout, but whenever I see these shelf switching layouts, even in small spaces like the space I have, they just shout "realistic" at me - extremely tempting. 

www.pmdsb.com
  • 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Monday, December 10, 2007 11:31 AM

Ya know what?  It's not a 4x8 on a grass mat with Unitrack, so it's already head and shoulders above last years'.

Of course it's HO...Wink [;)]

I'd love to see MR do an N scale project layout again.  I think the last I can remember was Lionel Strang's 2-parter on the Appalachian Central 7 years ago.

I'd like to see something in N on a small footprint (but bigger than a door) using Atlas' Code 55.  Really show how far N scale has come.

Modeling the Rio Grande Southern First District circa 1938-1946 in HOn3.

• 2,216 posts
Posted by davekelly on Monday, December 10, 2007 1:40 PM
 Dave Vollmer wrote:

Ya know what?  It's not a 4x8 on a grass mat with Unitrack, so it's already head and shoulders above last years'.

I'd love to see MR do an N scale project layout again.  I think the last I can remember was Lionel Strang's 2-parter on the Appalachian Central 7 years ago.

I'd like to see something in N on a small footprint (but bigger than a door) using Atlas' Code 55.  Really show how far N scale has come.

Although I'm not an N-scaler, I think that would be a great idea.  Perhaps have some pictures comparing the new layout with some pics from the Clinchfield and the N scale project layout they did before that one - heck if I can remember the name something with "Enfield" in it I think . 

If you ain't having fun, you're not doing it right and if you are having fun, don't let anyone tell you you're doing it wrong.
  • 2,292 posts
Posted by ereimer on Monday, December 10, 2007 5:03 PM
nope , just that the jan issue hasn't hit the canadian stores yet Sigh [sigh]
  • 1,090 posts
Posted by on30francisco on Monday, December 10, 2007 8:51 PM
 Dave Vollmer wrote:

Although I'm a narrow gauge Large Scale modeler (indoors), I'd also like to see a layout done in N scale, perhaps on a 4x6 using code 55 or even code 40 track with lower flanged wheels. Steam would be ideal but diesels would be better than nothing. This would perhaps show the progress that has been made in N scale. Note: I have always been interested in and tend to gravitate toward minority scales and gauges. I'd even like to see a layout in TT scale.

• 11,436 posts
Posted by dknelson on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:29 AM

davekelly wrote:

Perhaps have some pictures comparing the new layout with some pics from the Clinchfield and the N scale project layout they did before that one - heck if I can remember the name something with "Enfield" in it I think . 

Gordon Odegard's Enfield & Ohio.  But that goes back to Dec 1966 into early 1967, and while it was a neat layout I bet today's N scalers would laugh to see what passed for N scale cars and locomotives back then. 

Dvae Nelson

• 13,856 posts
Posted by wjstix on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:36 AM
 dknelson wrote:

davekelly wrote:

Perhaps have some pictures comparing the new layout with some pics from the Clinchfield and the N scale project layout they did before that one - heck if I can remember the name something with "Enfield" in it I think . 

Gordon Odegard's Enfield & Ohio.  But that goes back to Dec 1966 into early 1967, and while it was a neat layout I bet today's N scalers would laugh to see what passed for N scale cars and locomotives back then. 

Dvae Nelson

I think I've got that in a Kalmbach book from the seventies on project railroads from MR. Seems to me the N layout used like code 100 track or something!! That one was a little before my time but I remember the Kinnickinick Ry and Dock Co. or whatever it was called from the early seventies, that was kind of a shelf layout as I recall.

Stix

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all