Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

So...how far would you go to get to a LHS?

78 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:19 PM

The only MRR hobby shop in town is only about 15 minutes away, but I don't shop there.  Philosophical differences with the owner, plus I don't appreciate the fact that items are regularly marked ABOVE the MSRP.

There are, I think, at least two or three hobby stores next town (about 45 minutes each way), but with a two-year old in the house, it's remarkably difficult to get away on something discretionary like a hobby shop outing.  So 100% of my MRR purchases are via mail order.  I've found two stores that I like a lot (Hobbylinc.com and MBKlein).

• 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:24 PM
 Greg H. wrote:
 csmith9474 wrote:

I live in the 30th and Garden of the God's area. As I posted above, I frequent Custom Railway. Mike treats me really well there. That is one of the best train stores I have ever been to.

I've heard of them, but, since it means getting past the mess at Union and Austin Bluffs - that adds another 10 min to the trip.

Know of any others in town?

There is Sunbird Train Mart right there near where you live, but that is the only other one I know of. I am sure you know that one is there. It is in the old mall at Academy and Austin Bluffs.

I am glad I don't have to deal with that mess at Union and Austin Bluffs. It will be great once it is finished, though.

Did you move here recently?

Smitty
  • 692 posts
Posted by Bill54 on Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:42 PM

I have one LHS about 10 minutes away.  Unfortunately, they carry a very poor selection of model trains and equipment.  The owner has a "care less" attitude which doesn't help, and they sell at full retail which makes purchasing online much more appealing.

There is also two other hobby shops in the area. 

One is about 25 miles away but they only sell toy train sets.  No separate engines, cars or any other equipment.  They are into radio control cars and planes mostly.

The third is about 55 miles away.  They have a good selection of O, and HO.  They discount at 10% on most things.  The big drawback is, to get there I have to travel I95.  That is the corridor between Fredericksburg, VA and Washington, DC.  Traffic jams of 1-2 hours are common on weekends just as they are on weekdays.  I travel the route every day to and from work so it is plainly out of the question on weekends.  I also carpool to work so I don't think my riders, one being my wife, would care much for me detouring to the LHS on my way home.

I do 99.9% of my purchases online and get 40% or better off list most of the time.

If there was a LHS that catered to model railroading within 30 minutes that was stocked and gave at least 20% discount on their stuff I'd shop there in a heartbeat.  Maybe that will happen some day.  Until then I'll continue to shop online.

Bill

As my Mom always says...Where there's a will there's a way!
  • 472 posts
Posted by Greg H. on Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:46 PM
 csmith9474 wrote:

There is Sunbird Train Mart right there near where you live, but that is the only other one I know of. I am sure you know that one is there. It is in the old mall at Academy and Austin Bluffs.

I am glad I don't have to deal with that mess at Union and Austin Bluffs. It will be great once it is finished, though.

Did you move here recently?

I was a little afraid that you would say that, I've been there a few times, and wasn't impressed - got the feeling that they were in business to support their own hobby, with only one person that realy wanted to help people get started - HO or N scale, about all they carry is EZ-track or Atlas code 80. 

Sunbird is no longer at the Shops at the Bluffs, they are now further south on Academy, at the Safeway shoping center, just off of Carefree - Mall of the Bluffs was bought out a year or so ago, and about the only bussiness left in the actual mall is King Soopers and Handcock fabrics ( perhaps one or two others ), the new owners are the type that buy smaller malls then start making outragious demands of smaller business, to force them out - then renovate to bring in biger businesses - but, alot of bussinesses are moving out to the Powers area - so the Austin Bluffs Academy area has been going into a slump for the past year or two, despite being a major intersection. 

I've been in this area of the Springs since '88.

Greg H.
  • 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:57 PM
 Greg H. wrote:

I was a little afraid that you would say that, I've been there a few times, and wasn't impressed - got the feeling that they were in business to support their own hobby, with only one person that realy wanted to help people get started - HO or N scale, about all they carry is EZ-track or Atlas code 80. 

Sunbird is no longer at the Shops at the Bluffs, they are now further south on Academy, at the Safeway shoping center, just off of Carefree - Mall of the Bluffs was bought out a year or so ago, and about the only bussiness left in the actual mall is King Soopers and Handcock fabrics ( perhaps one or two others ), the new owners are the type that buy smaller malls then start making outragious demands of smaller business, to force them out - then renovate to bring in biger businesses - but, alot of bussinesses are moving out to the Powers area - so the Austin Bluffs Academy area has been going into a slump for the past year or two, despite being a major intersection. 

I've been in this area of the Springs since '88.

I didn't want to say anything one way or another about Sunbird because I wasn't sure what your opinion was, but I have no use for that shop. The last time I went in there, they seemed more interested in "playing trains" than helping the customer. They didn't offer me any assistance whatsoever.

The cusotmer service at Custom Railway Supply is great, so that is one of the big reasons I shop there.

Smitty
  • 54 posts
Posted by cchnguage on Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:47 PM

I have one about 30 minutes away. He has a very small selection on N-scale items. I mostly purchase scernery items from him. I buy rolling, stock buildings, and DCC items for a store just over 2 hours away one way. They have the best selection on N-scale products in about 300 mile radius.

Craig

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:00 PM
I guess I am pretty lucky here in Brisbane Australia I have four Model Railroad shops within 35mins drive from home, all with a decent range of equipment.
  • 535 posts
Posted by nucat78 on Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:02 PM

Depends on the selection and prices.  Being in the western 'burbs of Chicago, I have Crest Hill, Elmhurst, LaGrange, New Lenox or Des Plaines to choose from.  I can drive to Crest Hill in about 30 minutes and taker METRA to LaGrange.  Anything else can be an hour or longer drive one-way with traffic.

Franklin Park and Downers Grove both closed which is too bad b/c they had really good selections.  Any of the chain stores around here basically sell bits and pieces or crap.

I do try to visit at least one store per city when I'm traveling.  Found a really good deal on a UP engine in Orlando once.  Guess everybody wanted NS, CSX or FEC...

• 472 posts
Posted by Greg H. on Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:22 PM
 csmith9474 wrote:
]

I didn't want to say anything one way or another about Sunbird because I wasn't sure what your opinion was, but I have no use for that shop. The last time I went in there, they seemed more interested in "playing trains" than helping the customer. They didn't offer me any assistance whatsoever.

The cusotmer service at Custom Railway Supply is great, so that is one of the big reasons I shop there.

Sounds like your expereance with Sunbird is much like mine. Sad [:(]

Any places around town to keep and eye out for used equipment or local MR clubs?

Greg H.
  • 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:46 PM
 Greg H. wrote:

Sounds like your expereance with Sunbird is much like mine. Sad [:(]

Any places around town to keep and eye out for used equipment or local MR clubs?

We have been here since '04, and I have only been in there twice, and had the same experience both times. When I asked for help, it was almost like I was inconveniencing them or something.

Anyhow, the only club that I know of is the Pike's Peak division of the NMRA. I am not much of one for clubs, so I am not sure of what exactly is around here.

As far as used equipment goes, Custom has a case of brass consignment, and I believe he sometimes gets used plastic models in. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of used equipment around though. Are you looking for something in particular?

Smitty
  • 9,236 posts
Posted by galaxy on Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:00 PM

locoworks wrote:
surely if you have to travel any great distance it is not really a LHS ( local hobby store )?? it is just a hobby store as it's not local????  perhaps its an american expression regardless of 'locallity'??

That is why I asked the question. A "local hobby shop" may not be that local, or it could be just 30 miles on the other side of the same city from someone.  They just may not want to travel to that side of the city.

For those who say they don't have one near them, I was wondering just how far they would go to get to one they might consider to be their "LHS".

I appear to be fortunate. I consider anything 1 hour away to be local. Soon I will be moving further into upstate NY "in the middle of nowhere, 1700's-1800's farmsteads as far as your eyes can see". It will a bit longer trip to get to the one 15 mins away now.Cool [8D]

-G .

Just my thoughts, ideas, opinions and experiences. Others may vary.

HO and N Scale.

After long and careful thought, they have convinced me. I have come to the conclusion that they are right. The aliens did it.

• 705 posts
Posted by UP2CSX on Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:10 PM

I live just outside the capital of Alabama, Montgomery. Total population in the are is probably about 300,000. Total number of hobby shops -zero. Pretty sad. I'd have to go to Birmingham, about 100 miles, or Atlanta, about 200 miles, to find a decent hobby shop that has a good selection of HO products and decent prices. consequently, almost all my ordering is on the net. Hobbylinc has done a good job for me also.

However, if you are a Lionel fan, you've got to come to Prattville. We have a guy on Main Street who operates what's nominally a hobby shop but it's really a train museum. He's only open on Thursday and Friday afternoons but his stock of Lionel is amazing. He literally has millions of dollars in Lionel stock, everything from old standard gauge stuff to the newest Lionel offerings. He travels to trains shows and swap meets all over the country and buys tons of stuff. He has a huge layout and loves to show it to people. He does sell his Lionel stock and his prices seem very fair, given the little I know of what Lionel things are worth. He sometimes gets HO things mixed with the O gauge he buys so I stop in and see him every few months just to see what he's come up with. I got an original 1956 Marx UP 40 foot boxcar still in the box for a buck!

Regards, Jim
  • 954 posts
Posted by stokesda on Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:27 PM

When I was going to grad school in Boulder, I would make the trek down to Caboose Hobbies once in a while, but not too often.

Now, the nearest "L"HS is 45 minutes away, and has minimal train stuff. They cater more to the r/c car and plane crowds. And the prices they have for train stuff is a little steep for my taste. So I guess I can say that I never really buy anything from them because of their prices and selection (or lack thereof). There are some better hobby shops further away (2+ hrs), but I would never make a special trip. Plus, with the cost of gas these days... So I guess the bottom line is I rely on the Internet for most of my hobby needs.

Dan Stokes

My other car is a tunnel motor

• 472 posts
Posted by Greg H. on Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:29 PM

csmith9474 wrote:

We have been here since '04, and I have only been in there twice, and had the same experience both times. When I asked for help, it was almost like I was inconveniencing them or something.

Anyhow, the only club that I know of is the Pike's Peak division of the NMRA. I am not much of one for clubs, so I am not sure of what exactly is around here.

As far as used equipment goes, Custom has a case of brass consignment, and I believe he sometimes gets used plastic models in. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of used equipment around though. Are you looking for something in particular?

I lucked out the first time or two I went in, and the one guy that appeared like he wasn't inconvenanced was working the counter, and was happy to talk about the hobby, and help get me started - since then I ended up with everyone else.  Disapprove [V]   Had I started with the others, I might not have actualy entered the hobby.

I was looking around for the cheaper stuff that usualy get's people started in the hobby, but, later get rid of, to do some potentualy distructive experaments on - that way I not shelling out money for something that might not make it through the testing.

Did that make sense?

Greg H.
  • 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:54 PM
 Greg H. wrote:

I lucked out the first time or two I went in, and the one guy that appeared like he wasn't inconvenanced was working the counter, and was happy to talk about the hobby, and help get me started - since then I ended up with everyone else.  Disapprove [V]   Had I started with the others, I might not have actualy entered the hobby.

I was looking around for the cheaper stuff that usualy get's people started in the hobby, but, later get rid of, to do some potentualy distructive experaments on - that way I not shelling out money for something that might not make it through the testing.

Did that make sense?

I gotcha. Some of that Tyco and Bachmann type stuff can come pretty cheap on eBay, but I am sure you are aware of that. Also, I forgot, but Mike has a table where you might just find what you are looking for. I have seen the Tyco and Bachmann type rolling stock on the table pretty cheap, as well as some nicer stuff that wasn't that expensive either. Next time I am in there, I will see what he has on the table.

Smitty
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:10 PM

Well, I have two. One store is 15 minutes away and the other is about 45 minutes away.

The big trip is the one to Pine Bluff each April for the Train Show. I run about 190 miles round trip for that one. It is a pretty good show and Im happy even if I bought nothing down there.

• 36 posts
Posted by SOO_N Scaler on Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:23 PM
If I lived close like some of you do, I would be in seriuos trouble,,lol

• 308 posts
Posted by Teditor on Friday, July 27, 2007 9:00 AM

My local hobby shop is about a two hour drive, but its well worth it, it's like a model railroad mini-market, fantastic amount of stock including detail bits 'n' pieces, knowledgeable husband and wife team that go out of their way to help and all round friendly atmosphere, very easy to empty the wallet with the vast selection of Z, N, HO, OO, O, G.

You should drop in some time, oh, did I mention that I live in Toowoomba in Queensland Australia and the hobby shop 'Austral Modelcraft' is in an outer suburb of the capital City of Brisbane. 

Teditor 

Teditor

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, July 27, 2007 9:08 AM
Ok bare with me. What is LHS?
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, July 27, 2007 9:09 AM
Sorry just figured it out. Local Hobby Shop right.
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, July 27, 2007 10:05 AM

About two years ago I visited Tucson ( about 2hr one way, I live in Mesa, AZ). I found the ACE hardware store in Tucson and purchased a couple hundred dollars worth of rolling stock, wheels and trucks.

Went back to ACE this year and bought nothing!. Their HO stock was almost nonexistent. They didn't even have code 83 turnouts. I was prepared to spend about $300 dollars. They had even made the MRR shop larger, why I don't know. I had previously recommended the ACE store on this forum. Too bad for the folks in Tucson.

So now my favorite LHS is Affair With Trains in Phoenix. It is still about a 45 minute ride one way. But their stock is good... at least for now, and they do give discounts.

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, July 27, 2007 10:20 AM

There are 2 hobby shops in Bel Air MD, but charge full retail so I go there only if I am in a major pinch otherwise I head down to MB Klein now in Cockeysville MD since they moved out of their Gay Street location in downtown Baltimore. 

For those who have not been to their new store.  It is about the same size as the old store but has a greater shipping area.   Parking is harder since they don't have the large public lot under the JFX anymore.   If there are several people in the shop you have to park on the road.  

• 231 posts
Posted by PB&J RR on Friday, July 27, 2007 10:28 AM
There are 4 Hobby Shops in my town, 5 if you count the place I can get everything but train stuff... Only one of them is a trains only place..., between the 5 of them I can get most everythng, only the trains only place can answer some questions... but very few, an old guy and a young kid...
J. Walt Layne President, CEO, and Chief Engineer Penneburgh, Briarwood & Jameson Railroad.
  • 1,726 posts
Posted by CSX_road_slug on Friday, July 27, 2007 11:01 AM

I have to admit I'm spoiled, compared to many of the other people replying to this thread.  There is a small HS about a 15-minute drive from my house, he has some train stuff (including scratchbuilding materials which I use alot) but he mostly sells military models.  But a 30-minute drive northward lands me at MB Klein's new Cockysville store; a 30 minute drive south brings me to Peach Creek Shops.  Both are excellent, well-stocked train-oriented businesses offering 20-25% off MSRP.

However, for DCC equipment, I order online from Tony's

-Ken in Maryland  (B&O modeler, former CSX modeler)

• 21,481 posts
Posted by MisterBeasley on Friday, July 27, 2007 11:35 AM

My LHS is only about a 10-minute drive, and the roads are pleasant enough that I even make the trip on a bicycle every now and then.  (Yeah, those Tour de France guys would be better off tucking a Peco Code 100 turnout in their pocket than whatever else it is they've got there.)

When I travel, I try to check the area for shops, too.  I guess I don't travel to the right places - about the most I've ever bought is some autos at Wal-Mart.  I have found some generic hobby shop stuff on occasion, though.

During my quest for hexagonal cobblestones, I found myself in a Wargaming shop nearby, The Three Trolls.  (No, I didn't feed them.)  I didn't find cobblestones, but I noticed a large stock of Woodland Scenics stuff, more than at my LHS.  There's a segment of the Wargaming community that builds scenery, just like we do, and there must be enough of them to support WS at this shop. 

It takes an iron man to play with a toy iron horse. 

• 63 posts
Posted by tschwarz on Friday, July 27, 2007 11:36 AM
 emdgp92 wrote:

Robby P. wrote:
I am sure there are some BIG one's in Pttsburgh, but I don't know my way around there since I have only lived in PA a year, and my whole life in NC before the move.  That's what I have for LHS....

Let's see, we have A.B. Charles in Dormont (big red barn, near the pool), Esther's Hobby in Millvale (just off Route 28), Iron Horse in Upper St. Clair/Scott Twp (Painters Run Rd, just off Bower Hill Rd), and Toby Tyler's in Pleasant Hills (Lebanon Church Rd., not far from Route 51 cloverleaf). I tend to head over to A.B. Charles quite a bit, even though they're across town from me. You name it, they probably have it somewhere. Iron Horse and Toby's are mostly O scale. Since I'm not into O or Lionel, I don't go there as much. Esther's is nearly all N scale. I drop in there from time to time after work.

There's also The Silver Mine near Washington, PA on Route 19. I haven't been in there for months :)

Well I can fall over the hill and be at A.B. Charles and they have quite a selection including a large selection of brass.  They have been in business for a long time and I did business for many years with Bud Charles who sadly has gone to the great trainyard in the sky.  He will be missed but his son is doing a good job of keeping the business going.  They have really done well since moving into their new location.  I've been to Iron Horse a few times but if I don't go to A.B. Charles I usually go to Cranberry Hobby Depot in Cranberry when I am up visiting my Mom. 

Tom

http://home.comcast.net/~bandofan

Modeling the Pittsburgh Division of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad from Glenwood Yard to New Castle Yard following the old P&W Mainline.

Visit my website at: http://www.baltimoreandohiorr.com

• 447 posts
Posted by danmerkel on Friday, July 27, 2007 8:01 PM

That's kind of relative... I'd go farther for a better selection.  I'm about an hour from Toledo and there are a couple of shops there that have 2-3 display units dedicated to trains.  In the other direction is Columbus, about two hours away, where there is a pretty nice shop that is "trains only."  Going there is kind of a treat.  But if it were the other way around, I wouldn't be very likely to go to Columbus.

dlm

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Friday, July 27, 2007 8:16 PM

I usually go to Caboose Hobbies about three times a year.  My business travels go to Denver that many times a year so the eleven hundred miles is not out of the way when you have extra time to get back to the airport.

Their on line service has been very good and I order many items from them.  Don usually takes care of my questions about the model and sends it to me.   They give a decent discount on most items now and they have a brass sale at least once a year.  It is not really not my LHS, but as close as I want one.

Cheers

• 332 posts
Posted by BRJN on Friday, July 27, 2007 9:45 PM
I am going to drive from Ft Wayne IN to Strasburg PA ... ONCE.  This is about a16 hr trip.  I am going to bring my family along.  I'm calling it our yearly vacation.  Little do they know ... bwahaha ! Mischief [:-,]
Modeling 1900 (more or less)
  • 241 posts
Posted by ouengr on Friday, July 27, 2007 10:01 PM
Maybe I am crazy, but due to recent actions at the "local hobby shop" (120 Miles away), I think that the nearest hobby shop that I will go out of my way to visit is about 686 miles away from home.  I have gone there twice when I have been in the area and had good experiences both times.  Anymore, I think that most of my business will have be with virtual stores.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all