Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

A Union Pacific Streamliner Next for Walthers?

12 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 330 posts
A Union Pacific Streamliner Next for Walthers?
Posted by MerrilyWeRollAlong on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:11 PM

Just got the August 2009 Model Railroader today (woo hoo!) and saw an ad for the 2010 Walthers catalogue with a Union Pacific E8A and a dome car on it (page 17).  Could be a hint of things to come...

Maybe Union Pacific's City of "Everywhere"

• 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:16 PM

Hmmm, seems to go against the general theme we were expecting a few months ago.

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/p/122302/1391415.aspx

• 3,264 posts
Posted by CAZEPHYR on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:08 PM

MerrilyWeRollAlong

Just got the August 2009 Model Railroader today (woo hoo!) and saw an ad for the 2010 Walthers catalogue with a Union Pacific E8A and a dome car on it (page 17).  Could be a hint of things to come...

The last run of the Rivarossi cars were either imported or sold by Walthers if I remember correctly.  I purchased two sets of both the A and B versions of those and that might be what the dome car is on page 17.  It would be nice if they offered a complete train, but it would be easy for them to continue the A and B set that was offered six years ago.   Only time will tell us what they have in mind.

CZ

• 3,549 posts
Posted by Flashwave on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:22 PM

I wasn't expecting us to guess it, and UP makes sense, because not only can they sell the City, but they can also sell cars to people who have the Ath. Gen, 844, 3985, the soon to come Bachmann DD40AX, and people with E9s as the UP executive fleet.

I wonder if I could get any of the cars (Dome Obs, Domme DIner, DOme SLeeper, Dome coach) needed for the GM Train of Tommorrow?

-Morgan

• 8,055 posts
Posted by twhite on Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:42 AM

I certainly wouldn't mind a UP/CNW/SP City of San Francisco.  I've got a neat COSF A-B-B E-6 set of diesels that sure could use some 'authentic' COSF cars behind it.  

That was one handsome train when I used to watch it streak through Truckee in the dark when I was growing up there.   For some strange reason, it was scheduled over the Sierra Nevadas at night for a number of years.  Never could understand that. 

Tom Smile

• 13,892 posts
Posted by wjstix on Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:34 PM

UP wouldn't be a bad choice, since if they do it right they could do cars that are still in use behind 3985 and other UP engines today. That way it would appeal to 1950's modellers and to more modern ones too. 

Stix
  • 7,500 posts
Posted by 7j43k on Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:25 PM
If whatever Walthers produces/supplies doesn't have the giant Rivarossi window gasket detailing, I expect I'll get some.

• 58 posts
Posted by Steve McDonough on Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:16 PM

Walthers will be offering a 10-6 sleeper painted UP but labelled Pennsylvania which is Stoney Rapids.Look for 932-16841. Smoothsided with below window belt but they show the aisle side.Hopefully the room side will be  correct for the car.  The cars will be done with the new grey skeleton frame with interior clips and using the lighting kits for interior not anything as the Rivarossi car 3 packs which were once offered. I can't wait to see my Milwaukee Road cars and new UP cars pulled by a Milwaukee E8-F7B and Athearn FP7A(future)!

• 8,055 posts
Posted by twhite on Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:41 PM

One thing:  If Walthers is planning any of the UP "City" trains, especially the ones shared with other railroads, simply putting UNION PACIFIC on the cars isn't going to cut it unless Walthers is planning on modeling the "City" trains after each railroad dropped their common ownership in the 1950's.   Each car was lettered specifically for the train, not the railroad.  The color scheme might be UP, but the cars were lettered "City of--"(name your train). 

That might get a little interesting if they're thinking of specific "City" trains during a specific era. 

Tom

• 3,672 posts
Posted by R. T. POTEET on Friday, June 26, 2009 1:44 AM

MerrilyWeRollAlong

If memory serves me Onion Specific's May Day City of Everywhere into Chickytown carried 17 or 18 cars. That's a mighty big-g-g-g train for Horribly Oversized-Scale!

From the far, far reaches of the wild, wild west I am: rtpoteet

• 219 posts
Posted by binder001 on Friday, June 26, 2009 10:26 AM

My MR came yesterday (6/25) and I noticed the same thing!  Being a UP fan I was uber-excited.

Maybe a mid-to-late 1950s Domeliner?  Then they could use all those yellow and grey Milwaukee cars (post 1956).  They would have to add some SP cars, troo unless they limited it to City of LA or City of Portland.  Maybe even some CNW cars for pre-1956?  One trivia, the UP passenger car trucks should be gray up to about 1958 when they started getting aluminum paint.  The E8A shown on the Walthers' cover artwork had the spelled out "UNION PACIFIC" across the upper nose, this was added in 1959, so maybe they are targeting a "later" Domeliner.  Many of the cars COULD also be released in the current paint styles (same colors, but "UPP" numbers and new names).

Gary

• 509 posts
Posted by Mr. SP on Friday, June 26, 2009 11:47 AM

The head end cars, coaches, diners and so on had Union Pacific on the letterboard. Pullmans had Pullman on the letterboard with a small Union Pacific at each end.

Maybe we will get lucky and get the 9000 series Dome Diner.

• 3,549 posts
Posted by Flashwave on Friday, June 26, 2009 4:35 PM

Mr. SP
Maybe we will get lucky and get the 9000 series Dome Diner.

DOn't you mean the 8000 class? (City of Portland) and possibly my 8010 Sky View that would make modelling the Train of Tomorrw

-Morgan

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all