Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

What passenger set would you like Walthers to release next?

60 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 4,000 posts
What passenger set would you like Walthers to release next?
Posted by jecorbett on Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:23 AM
Each of the past several years, Walthers has released new set of passenger equipment for some famous first class trains. I imagine they have another already in the works. Which would you like them to issue. My vote would be for the post war 20th Century Limited in the dark grey paint scheme.
  • 599 posts
Posted by Milepost 266.2 on Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:29 AM
Just find a list of all the name passenger trains that passed through Milwaukee.  One of these will no doubt be next.
  • 1,233 posts
Posted by Hoople on Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:47 AM

I'd like...

UP City of Los Angeles
UP City of Denver
Rio Grande _____ Zephyr (I forgot what the word was... I'm tired...)

Yeah, those are the three I want.

Edit, it is just the Rio Grande Zephyr...

Mark.
  • 130 posts
Posted by PMeyer on Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:14 AM

Von Ryan's Express! Big Smile [:D]

Paul

Paul
  • 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:19 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a hi level "El Capitan" from Walther's, but if Con Cor gets their's off the ground, that would satisfy that need. I like the TSP cars, but they just can't seem to get the lounge or a baggage dormitory out.

Edit: A prototypical Budd "Sunset Limited" set would be nice as well. The 10-6 blunt end sleepers would probably sell like hotcakes if nothing else.

Smitty
  • 10,660 posts
Posted by Heartland Division CB&Q on Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:54 AM

CB&Q Denver Zephyr.

NP North Coast Linited

GARRY

HEARTLAND DIVISION, CB&Q RR

EVERYWHERE LOST; WE HUSTLE OUR CABOOSE FOR YOU

• 279 posts
Posted by ragnar on Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:54 AM
A number of years ago Bev-Bel produced a set of the  Great Northerns Oriental Limited cars using the old Athearn heavy weights. would really like to see a set of these using updated better detailed Cars.
The Great Northern Lives!
  • 3,495 posts
Posted by nbrodar on Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:18 AM

Pennsy's "Blue Ribbon Fleet" Broadway Limited.  Or D&H's late 60s/early 70s Laurentian.

Nick

Take a Ride on the Reading with the: Reading Company Technical & Historical Society http://www.readingrailroad.org/

• 56 posts
Posted by majortom on Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:34 AM

Maybe slightly off topic, but does anyone know right off hand where I can find Illinois Central passenger cars in the Chocolate and Orange color scheme?

majortom

• 1,279 posts
Posted by Pathfinder on Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:48 AM
Easy, CP's  Canadian.
Keep on Trucking, By Train! Where I Live: BC Hobbies: Model Railroading (HO): CP in the 70's in BC and logging in BC
  • 2,899 posts
Posted by Paul3 on Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:59 AM

I would like to see something in New Haven (naturally), but I'm not holding my breath.

The New Haven was the USA's No. 3 railroad in passengers carried, but I bet they won't get their own train from Walthers because either the cars/paint is too generic or too specialized.  I'll explain...

The NH's top two crack passenger trains were the Merchants Limited, (the finest day train in America, according to the NH) the last all-Parlor (no coach) train in the US.  The other was the Yankee Clipper.  The Clipper cars were all named for famous Clipper sailing ships of the 1800's.  Luxury was the name of the game for each train, and no expense was spared equipping each train with it's own equipment.  However, that equipment was either fairly generic-looking heavyweight cars before 1948 painted dark green, or stainless steel cars of unique design (turtleback roofs...the only RR to have them on stainless steel cars) with either green window stripes or McGinnis orange.  Locos would have been either I-4 (brass only) or I-5 (BLI) steam engines, or PA-1's, CPA24-5's, or FL9's depending on the era.

I think the next train will be the 20th Century Limited, followed by a west coast train...probably a UP train now that UP has become reasonable with the licensing.  Then probably a southeast train like the Southern's Crescent or the N&W's crack train, etc.  There's just too many colorful trains out there to bother with the NH's trains for quite a while.

Paul A. Cutler III
Weather Or No Go New Haven

• 2,477 posts
Posted by lvanhen on Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:06 PM
UP's City of LA!!Smile [:)]
Lou V H Photo by John
  • 8,055 posts
Posted by twhite on Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:08 PM

I'd like to see the City of San Francisco, but that's for purely personal reasons--I have a handsome E-6 CSF A-B-B unilt from BLI that doesn't have the appropriate cars to pull behind it.  And I certainly can't afford the brass CSF cars available. 

But a post-war Century or Broadway Limited wouldn't be bad, either.  Or the Fort-Worth/Denver Zephyr with one of those unique E-5's pulling it.  Rode it back in the 'sixties.  Now THERE was a handsome train!

Tom Smile [:)]

• 883 posts
Posted by jktrains on Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:13 PM

Milepost 266.2 wrote:
Just find a list of all the name passenger trains that passed through Milwaukee.  One of these will no doubt be next.

Considering that their past runs have been western oriented - Super Chief, Empire Builder, Hiawatha.  I like Garry's guess - Northern Pacific North Coast Limited.  Colorful, easily identifiable.  Gives you another train to run through Milwaukee Station too IIRC.

• 694 posts
Posted by carknocker1 on Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:23 PM
Any of the CE&I name trains , The Humming bird or the Dixie Flagler would be nice.
  • 735 posts
Posted by wgnrr on Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:27 PM
 jktrains wrote:

Milepost 266.2 wrote:

Considering that their past runs have been western oriented - Super Chief, Empire Builder, Hiawatha.  I like Garry's guess - Northern Pacific North Coast Limited.  Colorful, easily identifiable.  Gives you another train to run through Milwaukee Station too IIRC.

I don't think NP's North Coast Limited ran to Milwaukee...HOWEVER, I have a book that shows the NCL detouring on the C&NW's "Air Line" (freshly built, BTW) at Shennington, WI. So, I have no idea.

All the suggestions above are great. However, being a person who likes unique things, how about this...

----------------WALTHERS BUSINESS TRAIN-----------------
--"Featuring a famous first class Business Car from many major American railroads"--Including...

Milwaukee Road Streamlined Business Car--Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Montana (one of these was also named the Stanley something...) One car is now with the 261 group, one in Frisco paint, and the third is the SOO 1000

Soo Line Business Car "Minneapolis"...In Soo, and Burlington Paint

BN "Glacier View"...Considering they already make a full dome...

GN ________ (fill in blank)

etc, etc, etc........

They could make 10 different cars, in all different paint schemes.

Phil

My Photo Albums: http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k32/martin_lumber/ http://tinyurl.com/3yzns6
  • 5,199 posts
Posted by bogp40 on Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:26 PM

I would really like them to do "The Capital or National Limited" in the correct cars for B&O.

The heavyweights I have are very nice, but I need lightweight smoothsides and don't want to kitbash the entire train set.

Modeling B&O- Chessie  Bob K.  www.ssmrc.org

• 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:39 PM
 bogp40 wrote:

I would really like them to do "The Capital or National Limited" in the correct cars for B&O.

The heavyweights I have are very nice, but I need lightweight smoothsides and don't want to kitbash the entire train set.

I'm with you Bob.

This would be my choice as well. Another favorite of mine would be the Cincinnatian.

Magnus

Unless otherwise mentioned it's HO and about the 50's. Magnus
  • 8,055 posts
Posted by twhite on Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:45 PM

How about the 'never was' C&O "Chessie" complete with that spectacular steam turbine?  I mean of course, one that would at LEAST fit around a 30" radius, LOL! 

Another one might be the SP/UP/C&NW "Overland Limited"--a second-string train after the late 'thirties, but one that was pretty handsome and quite unique with its mixture of streamline and Pullman-Standard two-tone grey livery. 

And the post WWII streamlined Rio Grande overnight Denver-Salt Lake "Prospector" was an absolutely gorgeous little train.

Tom  

• 1,475 posts
Posted by New Haven I-5 on Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:03 PM
 Santa Fe "San Diegan" pulled by a BLI ATSF 4-8-4.

- Luke

Modeling the Southern Pacific in the 1960's-1980's

• 211 posts
Posted by mcddhawk4 on Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:40 PM

I agree with Smitty The Santa Fe El Capitan especially the sky lounge and the baggage dormitry with the streamlined shroud. Im in the process of building a baggage dormitory car using the train station products shroud and the walthers bag dorm car with the help of my LHS train dept attendent.

BNSF FAN
  • 471 posts
Posted by ho modern modeler on Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:52 PM
SURFLINERS

Mine doesn't move.......it's at the station!!!

• 1,414 posts
Posted by Guilford Guy on Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:59 PM
NP Northcoast Limited, SRR Crescent Limited, B&M Eastwind, NH Merchants Limited... If we could get reasonable 1940's-50's corrugated side cars in North East Roads I would be very happy!

Alex

• 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:14 PM

jecorbett wrote:
Each of the past several years, Walthers has released new set of passenger equipment for some famous first class trains. ... Which would you like them to issue.
Didn't we just do this back in Decmeber....http://cs.trains.com/forums/1303755/ShowPost.aspx

I kind of wish they would backdate the Hiawatha one generation and make the 4-4-2 steam locomotives to pull it. 

At that time I listed several possibilities because there are so many good ones.   Some of my recent research has added another lightweight one to my list - CB&Q Denver Zephyr.  Specifically the square ended dome observation car.  

I already had the North Coast Limited on my list.  Their dome sleepers (310 series) would be a welcome addition.  Of course I want both the original version and the modified one with the cafe under the dome.

The Royal Gorge with that dome observation with the ugly door in the center of the round end, and that other former east-coast dome with the funny ziggy supports in the upper windows. 

• 2,377 posts
Posted by leighant on Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:21 PM

twhite wrote:
How about the 'never was' C&O "Chessie" complete with that spectacular steam turbine?  I mean of course, one that would at LEAST fit around a 30" radius, LOL! 

Didn't Rowa model that in the late 70s/early 80s?  At least the cars (not the loco) And it would fit around 30" radius easily, because it was N scale.

• 5,449 posts
Posted by mobilman44 on Friday, March 21, 2008 8:25 AM

As I have all the ATSF cars I can possibly use, my vote is for the ILLINOIS CENTRAL - CITY OF NEW ORLEANS   !!!!

Mobilman44

ENJOY  !

Mobilman44

Living in southeast Texas, formerly modeling the "postwar" Santa Fe and Illinois Central 

• 4,000 posts
Posted by jecorbett on Friday, March 21, 2008 8:38 AM
 mobilman44 wrote:

As I have all the ATSF cars I can possibly use, my vote is for the ILLINOIS CENTRAL - CITY OF NEW ORLEANS   !!!!

Mobilman44

I thought about the City of New Orleans as that is my favorite railroad song, but it was an all coach day train and my guess is that Walthers would like a train with more variety of equipment. Contrary to the song, the southbound CONO would not have been in Memphis at night time unless it was way behind schedule.

• 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Friday, March 21, 2008 2:19 PM

jecorbett wrote:
 mobilman44 wrote:
ILLINOIS CENTRAL - CITY OF NEW ORLEANS   !!!!
I thought about the City of New Orleans as that is my favorite railroad song, but it was an all coach day train...
I believe the Illinois Central in general and the City of New Orleans specifically only used standard stock floor plan cars from the manufacturers.  While I am by no means an expert, I cannot bring to mind any unique "built specifically for that train" cars.   I do know the IC used to lease NP NCL cars during the NP's off season.

I wonder if the proximity of the Pullman Company on IC mainline had anything to do with that?

• 8 posts
Posted by HHP-8 on Friday, March 21, 2008 2:55 PM
I wouldn't mind Alstom Comet V's or NJT bilevels.
Known in other places as Chessie GM50 Owner&Operator of the sourland&eastern rr. Visit the railroads website here.
  • 3,549 posts
Posted by Flashwave on Friday, March 21, 2008 3:35 PM

How about, Walthers other idea that might have been produced insetead of the Hiawatha, insteasd we got that...

What else was on the slate for 07/08?

The Daylight!!!

Yes, I know. But BLI takes ages, and Athearn is still working on theirs too.

-Morgan

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all