Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Poll, Which passenger car should Walthers produce next.

27 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 98 posts
Poll, Which passenger car should Walthers produce next.
Posted by Amtrak_Titan on Monday, December 24, 2007 10:40 AM

Vote Here:    http://snappoll.com/poll/240477.php

The Options are

Amtrak California Cars

Amtrak Talgo Cars

Nippon Sharyo Bi Level Cars (Used by Caltrain and Metra) 

• 3,848 posts
Posted by andrechapelon on Monday, December 24, 2007 12:02 PM

SP parlor car "Oliver Millett".

Either that or a Harriman diner.

Andre

It's really kind of hard to support your local hobby shop when the nearest hobby shop that's worth the name is a 150 mile roundtrip.
  • 431 posts
Posted by jbloch on Monday, December 24, 2007 12:29 PM

Anything in Frisco logo--either heavyweight or streamlined.  Only things available (at least affordable) are Con-cor/IHC, or Bev-Bel kits(Athearn)--not great choices.  As I understand it, with modern technology in mass painting techniques, multiple paint schemes should be easier to do than in the past.

Jim

• 9,642 posts
Posted by AntonioFP45 on Monday, December 24, 2007 1:22 PM
 Amtrak_Titan wrote:

Vote Here:    http://snappoll.com/poll/240477.php

The Options are

Amtrak California Cars

Amtrak Talgo Cars

Nippon Sharyo Bi Level Cars (Used by Caltrain and Metra) 

Hello Titan,

One catch to your poll is that a number of us model "pre-Amtrak" and "early Amtrak", making it too modern.    

"I like my Pullman Standards & Budds in Stainless Steel flavors, thank you!"

• 2,594 posts
Posted by CP5415 on Monday, December 24, 2007 1:25 PM

How about a proper Canadian Pacific / VIA Dome Observation??

Gordon

Brought to you by the letters C.P.R. as well as D&H!

K1a - all the way

• 707 posts
Posted by joe-daddy on Monday, December 24, 2007 1:30 PM

Your Poll is not going to get a vote from me.  Too bad you didn't consider that some of us might have other choices than the three choices you provided.

My website and blog are now at http://www.joe-daddy.com
  • 735 posts
Posted by wgnrr on Monday, December 24, 2007 1:39 PM

I vote for a Business Car - Maybe the Soo Line "Minneapolis", Milwaukee Road's 3 business cars (Montana;now at the 261 group, Milwaukee;now painted Frisco, Wisconsin;Soo 1000)

Phil

My Photo Albums: http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k32/martin_lumber/ http://tinyurl.com/3yzns6
  • 10,621 posts
Posted by dehusman on Monday, December 24, 2007 1:47 PM

d.  None of the above

Dave H.

Dave H. Painted side goes up. My website : wnbranch.com

• 13,892 posts
Posted by wjstix on Monday, December 24, 2007 2:37 PM
What'd I'd like to see Walthers do is either offer a retro-kit for new roofs for their heavyweights, or offer them with modernized roofs. A fair number of heavyweight cars were rebuilt into "semi-streamlined" appearance with smooth roofs and post-War paintschemes, to better blend with the railroads heavyweight equipment. Since many Walthers heavyweights are actually wearing post-war streamliner colors, rather than the 'correct' heavyweight era paint schemes, it would make sense to be able to offer a way to model these semi-streamlined cars.
Stix
  • 8,639 posts
Posted by Texas Zepher on Monday, December 24, 2007 3:17 PM

Two choices.

1.  Northern Pacific North Coast Limited.  Actually they have several of the cars already so they would only need to produce a few new ones to make the train.

2.  Some named train.
   A.  heavy weight consist
   B.  Something Eastern (I have bunches of western transcons - Super Chief, El Capitan, Zephyr, Empire Builder, plus Daylights & Hiawatha are on the way).  What about a Broadway Limited, 20th Century Limited, Black Diamond, Southern Belle, Florida Special, City of Miami, or Cresent?  Didn't they all have heavy weight versions?

• 3,361 posts
Posted by DigitalGriffin on Monday, December 24, 2007 3:36 PM

I wouldn't mind a B&O Bluebird passenger train.

I don't think I've ever seen that in HO.  (Or a B&O Royal Blue Capital service train.)

Don - Specializing in layout DC->DCC conversions

Modeling C&O transition era and steel industries There's Nothing Like Big Steam!

• 8,892 posts
Posted by riogrande5761 on Monday, December 24, 2007 7:20 PM
C&O Pullman Standard with fluted sides as a companion to the 52 seat coach already produced but now out of stock.  I'd like to see the low  dome-coach, diner, lounge, baggage and  especially bag/dorm/chair.

Rio Grande.  The Action Road  - Focus 1977-1983

• 8,204 posts
Posted by IRONROOSTER on Monday, December 24, 2007 7:37 PM

I vote for open platform coach in S, Ma&Pa prototype would be a plus.

Enjoy

Paul 

If you're having fun, you're doing it the right way.
  • 5,449 posts
Posted by mobilman44 on Monday, December 24, 2007 8:06 PM

Hi,

I sure hope Mr. Walthers is reading this............

I model the Santa Fe and have most all of their ATSF heavyweights and streamline cars.  I also model the Illinois Central and was thrilled when Walthers came out with the IC heavyweight and streamline cars too.  I have one of each.

BUT, I am highly disappointed that the streamline version has no baggage, RPO, or observation cars.  How in the world can I put together a quality representation of an IC streamliner without them?   Come on Mr. Walthers, please finish what you started !!!!

Thanks for the opportunity to express this,

Mobilman44

ENJOY  !

Mobilman44

Living in southeast Texas, formerly modeling the "postwar" Santa Fe and Illinois Central 

• 2,899 posts
Posted by Paul3 on Monday, December 24, 2007 11:41 PM

Texas Zepher,
If Walthers were to do another train, I'd be guessing it's an Eastern one...probably the 20th Century Limited or the Broadway Limited as they are the most famous of the Eastern trains (much as that pains me to admit).  About the only thing out West they haven't done (or someone else hasn't done) is a UP train.

As for other Eastern trains to make, I'll throw in the New Haven's two crack trains, the "Merchants Limited" and the "Yankee Clipper".  The "Merchants", advertized as the "Finest Day Train in America" was not only a luxurious all-Parlor train (no coaches, no sleepers), it was fast (time to the half-minute in employee timetables) and had two diners...not bad for a sub-4 hour run.

The "Clipper" was the last "new" train on the NH.  Started with all new equipment in the 1920's, each car was named after a famous Clipper ship: Lightning, Red Jacket, Great Republic, Flying Fish, etc., and each car had an oil painting of it's namesake on board.  It also ran on a fast time, was also all-Parlor, and had hand picked engines with only the most experienced crews on board.

Both trains were the pride of the RR, and both were run as heavyweights and as P-S stainless steel-clad trains behind streamlined I-5's Hudsons, PA-1's, and CPA24-5's (and then FL9's).  The NH was the only RR to even come close to breaking even with it's Dining Car Dept., and recieved 45% of it's revenues from passengers at one point (but 55% of the cost...which is still better than just about any other RR).  But because the NH had some rather oddball passenger cars, we'll probably never see affordable and accurate HO NH streamlined passenger cars.

Paul A. Cutler III
Weather Or No Go New Haven

• 4,000 posts
Posted by jecorbett on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 10:19 AM
A flagship train from the heavyweight era. 20th Century Limited, Broadway Limited, Overland Limited just to name a few.
  • 5,199 posts
Posted by bogp40 on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:15 AM
 DigitalGriffin wrote:

I wouldn't mind a B&O Bluebird passenger train.

I don't think I've ever seen that in HO.  (Or a B&O Royal Blue Capital service train.)

I second you wishes on these B&Os. Also the previous post on the modernized roofs being offered would allow some of these cars onced painted and lettered appropriatly.

Modeling B&O- Chessie  Bob K.  www.ssmrc.org

• 150 posts
Posted by DavidBriel on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:03 PM

HO Central of Georgia "Nancy Hanks II" Smoothside Streamlined Cars

HO Central of Georgia "Man 'O' War" Corrugated Side Streamlined Cars

HO Southern "Crescent" Corrugated Side Streamlined Cars

HO Amtrak Phase IV-B Amfleet Cars

• 21 posts
Posted by tigerholm2 on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:07 PM

Milwaukee Road in 1955 yellow, gray, red-stripe color scheme of the U.P. colors, now that they have the bodies with the portholes. Yellow was scheme the Hiawatha and other Milw Rd trains of the 1960's -70's. I'd like to match the yellow E-8s I have. On my existing cars I had I drilled out portholes and rounded some windows years ago. All those previous Milwaukee Road plastic cars were without the round windows. They did the other GN and BN color schemes, so maybe the yellow Milw Rd will follow?
  • 2,115 posts
Posted by 3railguy on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:23 AM

Espee Dayight

MKT Texas Special

B&O Cincinattian

Ramtrack.....NOT.

John Long Give me Magnetraction or give me Death.
  • 1,516 posts
Posted by challenger3980 on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:49 AM

I would love to see the Heavy Weight version of the Portland Rose, for a complete name train, but for an individual car, they finally came out with some baggage cars a while back, but what I would like to see now instead of another Pullman configuration , is a Heavy weight RPO. One or two others mentioned these, but the baggage cars took long enough, lets see some more HEADEND cars (where the real revenue was earned anyway, even if it didn't get the attention it deserved)

May your flanges always stay BETWEEN the rails,

Doug

May your flanges always stay BETWEEN the rails

• 3,727 posts
Posted by trolleyboy on Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:35 PM

They need to do a proper entire CPR Candian set right down to the park car,it would be wonderfull to have it just like the Santa Fe and the Great Northern sets that they produced.

Rob

• 471 posts
Posted by ho modern modeler on Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:51 PM

Amtrak Cali and Surfliners for sure (look up and to the left-you know what I like!)

E-R models made the original Talgo, but it's discontinued. I had expected some kind of Cascades retro-fit kit or one could kitbash that version.

Then theres always the NYC 20th Century Limited........

Mine doesn't move.......it's at the station!!!

• 1,925 posts
Posted by steemtrayn on Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:01 PM
PRR P70 coaches.
  • 1,233 posts
Posted by Hoople on Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:10 PM
How about the Denver Zephyr, or maybe one of the UP City trains. Well I guess you could piece them together, but a nice RTR dome coach would be great. (Yeah, rivarossi makes 'em, but walther's would be nice)
Mark.
  • 664 posts
Posted by mustanggt on Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:03 PM

I'd like updated horizon commuter cars......they could have interiors, optional lighting, and trucks that actually roll freely.

Dave

C280 rollin'

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all