Trains.com

Whats the shortest "shortline"?

31 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 2,116 posts
Whats the shortest "shortline"?
Posted by Boyd on Friday, May 22, 2009 11:54 AM

Since we are talking about shortlines,,,, I thought I would ask this one.

Modeling the "Fargo Area Rapid Transit" in O scale 3 rail.

• 4,803 posts
Posted by Ulrich on Friday, May 22, 2009 1:04 PM

I going to nominate the Guelph Junction Railway which is a 10 mile piece of track that used to belong to Canadian Pacific and which is now owned by the town of Guelph. Back about ten years ago they were looking for a General Manager, and I applied for the position. I was rejected because I do not have an MBA and the railroad experience they were looking for. Then as now...I have to wonder why one would need an MBA to run a 10 mile railroad.

• 13,567 posts
Posted by Murphy Siding on Friday, May 22, 2009 1:32 PM

Our city has The Ellis & Eastern.  It runs about 3 to 4 miles.  I would bet the shortest shortline is under a mile.

Thanks to Chris / CopCarSS for my avatar.

• 4,803 posts
Posted by Ulrich on Friday, May 22, 2009 3:13 PM

You could model the whole thing in HO without leaving out any details..

• 200 posts
Posted by penncentral2002 on Friday, May 22, 2009 3:29 PM

I believe that I've read that the Atlantic Western Railroad has a total of approximately 3 to 4 active miles in Sanford, NC.  A good shot of the ATW in action (this is the uncropped version, a cropped version is on railpictures.net, but I don't feel like finding it at this point and the url is in the description of this photo). 

http://penncentral2002.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1242513

I think its the shortest I have photographed and it has to be one of the shortest around.

The B&O Railroad Museum operates over 1 mile of track - not really a short line though.

Zack http://penncentral2002.rrpicturearchives.net/
  • 733 posts
Posted by Bob-Fryml on Friday, May 22, 2009 4:53 PM

Reader Railroad, The Possum Trot Line out of Reader, Ark., comes in with a 7-mile long mainline.

The East Troy Trolley Museum, still honoring freight tariffs as a common carrier shortline, is 6.375 miles long.

The Aurora, Elgin and Fox River between the I.C. interchange at Coleman, Ill. and the Illinois State Hospital at South Elgin ran a freight service of no more than about 4-miles in length.  Deliveries of sulphurous southern Illinois coal to the Illinois State Hospital ceased about 1971 or 1972 and the line was abandoned shortly thereafter.  Today a portion of the line survives as the Fox River Trolley Museum.

Excluding trackage rights with the Terminal Railroad Association of Saint Louis, I would guess that the Manufacturers Railway operates no more than 4-miles of railroad.

The Southern San Luis Valley Railroad at Blanca, Colo. weighs in with 1.53-miles, but it's either out-of-service now or has been sold to the San Luis and Rio Grande.

• 694 posts
Posted by carknocker1 on Friday, May 22, 2009 7:28 PM

I would say the Louisville , New Albany & Corydon at 7 miles , or the now defunk Owensville & Posseyville RR  at just under 3 miles .

• 185 posts
Posted by DennisHeld on Friday, May 22, 2009 8:19 PM
The Chemung, Chicago & Eastern cannot be longer than 2 miles. Out of Harvard, IL.
  • 11,857 posts
Posted by blue streak 1 on Friday, May 22, 2009 8:21 PM

Is the Atlanta, Stone Mountain , & Lithonia  (ASML) still operating? A rock quarry RR in Lithonia, Ga. about 1.2 (?) miles long. Have a pass with no expiration listed in my files.

• 769 posts
Posted by Kevin C. Smith on Saturday, May 23, 2009 2:51 AM

I would guess it's some bridge and/or terminal company-possibly under a mile in length. Who, exactly, it would be I don't know. It might make for a few interseting evenings of perusing some old Official Guides but I haven't much time this week. Any takers?

"Look at those high cars roll-finest sight in the world."
  • 2,153 posts
Posted by inch53 on Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:56 AM

The Effingham RR, Effingham ILL, is maybe 2 miles long and serves an industrial park between CSX and CN/IC. And ILL Midwestern, in Greenville, IL, also serves an industrial park is listed at 14000 ft. It's connected to CSX an BNSF.

inch

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/4309

DISCLAIMER-- This post does not clam anything posted here as fact or truth, but it may be just plain funny
  • 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:07 AM

Yes, Kevin, you are on the right track (!?!!).  It would take some searching but I believe it to be less than a mile if memory serves; it's just that I don't recall which one it is.

RIDEWITHMEHENRY is the name for our almost monthly day of riding trains and transit in either the NYCity or Philadelphia areas including all commuter lines, Amtrak, subways, light rail and trolleys, bus and ferries when warranted. No fees, just let us know you want to join the ride and pay your fares. Ask to be on our email list or find us on FB as RIDEWITHMEHENRY (all caps) to get descriptions of each outing.

• 371 posts
Posted by ButchKnouse on Saturday, May 23, 2009 12:41 PM

Murphy Siding

Our city has The Ellis & Eastern.  It runs about 3 to 4 miles.  I would bet the shortest shortline is under a mile.

The DeLorme atlas has E & E running to Valley Springs and on to Minnesota? Am I right in assuming that the line there is actually D & I.

Where are the ends of the E & E, and what do they haul?

Reality TV is to reality, what Professional Wrestling is to Professional Brain Surgery.

• 8,571 posts
Posted by richg1998 on Saturday, May 23, 2009 12:48 PM

The last time I went to the Strasburg railroad in the 1980s ,I think it was billed as the longest running short line, about four miles. Only tourist now. That day, #90 was pulling the train. Leaving Strasburg #90 was running backwards and I was standing on the “porch” of the observation car. The smoke box radiated a lot of heat.

Rich

If you ever fall over in public, pick yourself up and say “sorry it’s been a while since I inhabited a body.” And just walk away.

• 2,298 posts
Posted by AgentKid on Saturday, May 23, 2009 2:11 PM

Kevin C. Smith
I would guess it's some bridge and/or terminal company-possibly under a mile in length.

I saw this question last night but as someone observed on another thread recently, reality has really intruded into my hobby life. I recall there was mention in a recent TRAINS issue, (given my current fight with reality my sense of timing is a bit off) say a few month's back, that there was a spur that was in fact a separate legally incorporated entity from the terminal or switching railroad it was connected to and the company it served. I think it was only a few thousand feet in length. It was in one of the front sections of a recent issue.

AgentKid

So shovel the coal, let this rattler roll.

"A Train is a Place Going Somewhere"  CP Rail Public Timetable

"O. S. Irricana"

. . . __ . ______

• 10,790 posts
Posted by mudchicken on Saturday, May 23, 2009 5:21 PM

Illinois Western is shorter than it's sister Effingham RR (CSX(CR/PRR) and CN(IC)

Effingham is an industrial lead that runs in a circle and Illinois Western is barely even an industrial lead.

Mudchicken Nothing is worth taking the risk of losing a life over. Come home tonight in the same condition that you left home this morning in. Safety begins with ME.... cinscocom-west
  • 339 posts
Posted by Jack_S on Saturday, May 23, 2009 5:52 PM

My Altamont California timetable shows that the Orange Empire Railway Museum has a 1.9 mile line from South End to Perris-Nuevo with 6 named stations along the way and a junction with BNSF at Perris-7th Street.

If you don't accept a museum line as a shortline (although I think the OERM does have some freight operations) then there is the Quincy Railroad which runs 3.3 miles from Quincy Junction (UP) to Quincy.

Jack

• 3,590 posts
Posted by csmith9474 on Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:23 PM

Although the Texas Transportation Company no longer exists, it came in at 1.3 miles. It primarily served the Pearl Brewery in San Antonio. They had a small interchange with the Espee just west of East Yard (between East Yard and Sunset Station). It was and electrified street running line. I really miss that railroad (although all my memories of it was when I was a kid).

Smitty
  • 2,930 posts
Posted by erikem on Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:51 PM

Jack_S

My Altamont California timetable shows that the Orange Empire Railway Museum has a 1.9 mile line from South End to Perris-Nuevo with 6 named stations along the way and a junction with BNSF at Perris-7th Street.

If you don't accept a museum line as a shortline (although I think the OERM does have some freight operations) then there is the Quincy Railroad which runs 3.3 miles from Quincy Junction (UP) to Quincy.

About the only freight ops I've heard of at OERM are movements of equipment to or from the museum, typically on a flatcar. 

- Erik (OERM member since 1989) 

• 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Saturday, May 23, 2009 10:14 PM

erikem

Jack_S

About the only freight ops I've heard of at OERM are movements of equipment to or from the museum, typically on a flatcar. 

- Erik (OERM member since 1989) 

Also OERM would not be a common carrier which Short Line denotes.

RIDEWITHMEHENRY is the name for our almost monthly day of riding trains and transit in either the NYCity or Philadelphia areas including all commuter lines, Amtrak, subways, light rail and trolleys, bus and ferries when warranted. No fees, just let us know you want to join the ride and pay your fares. Ask to be on our email list or find us on FB as RIDEWITHMEHENRY (all caps) to get descriptions of each outing.

• 10,790 posts
Posted by mudchicken on Sunday, May 24, 2009 11:22 AM

But Whitewater Valley RR in Indiana would.

(look at the clash between Indiana and Ohio RR/RailAmerica and the little museum railroad over switching a scrap metal yard at Connersville IN on the STB website)

Mudchicken Nothing is worth taking the risk of losing a life over. Come home tonight in the same condition that you left home this morning in. Safety begins with ME.... cinscocom-west
  • 261 posts
Posted by JonathanS on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:27 AM

Though it disappeared when the P&W took it over, the Warwick in Rhode Island was listed in the Official Guide as 1.1 miles in length.  It had enough business to keep two locomotives on the roster.

• 9,532 posts
Posted by zugmann on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:53 PM

The Tyburn RR in Morrisville, PA has about 5 or so tracks in a little yard off of a branchline into US Steel.  I don't think the yard is even more than a mile long.  They load/unload tanks, covered hoppers, open hoppers with scrap, and even have a flatcar half-buried to serve as a ramp for loading and unloading flatcars.  They roster a 44 and 45-tonner.  It is a busy little place - always packed with cars.

They must be some of the world's best switchmen to get that all sorted out. 

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=qpynvs8s2h9h&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=20859690&encType=1

aerial photo.  the whole railroad goes form the west end of the yard tracks, to the east end switch by the trailers  (where there's a NS 67Z ingot train on its way west)

The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of my employer, any other railroad, company, or person.

• 9 posts
Posted by SledDawg on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:31 PM

Port Jersey Railroad? 3 miles

http://www.pjrr.com/maps.htm

http://www.aslrra.org/our_members/railroad_members/details.cfm?railroadid=1351

Shawnee Terminal Railway Co.? also 3 miles

http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/

Could go through all of these to find the shortest....

Do "we" mean the shortest *independent* e.g. no tpart of G&W or other collections?

Dave G.

• 28 posts
Posted by VaCentralRwy on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:26 PM

If you want to make it a "line-haul" independent shortlines as opposed to switching/terminal lines and short operations taking over abandoned sidings, there was the Virginia Central Railway which had just short of a mile of main line in Fredericksburg, Virginia. The VC abandoned its western 37 miles of line in 1938, serving industrial customers (and splitting rate divisions) until 1983.

I think the Pioneer & Fayette (all 1/2 mile of it) subsisted as a switching line. As shortline guru Ed Lewis says, they may be shorter than the big railroads, but they're just as wide.

If you want the ridiculous, there was the B&M-owned Springfield Terminal. It eventually abandoned all of its original trackage sans a siding to a lumberyard next to the B&M main. To maintain the ST's status for the Guilford subleasing hijinx, the B&M local would come to set out a loco and car, the ST crew would switch the lumberyard, then return the loco to the B&M crew. You could measure this in hundreds of feet.

• 2,930 posts
Posted by erikem on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:12 PM

JonathanS

Though it disappeared when the P&W took it over, the Warwick in Rhode Island was listed in the Official Guide as 1.1 miles in length.  It had enough business to keep two locomotives on the roster.

If I recall correctly, this line was featured in the June 1967 issue of Trains - and at 1.1 miles is shorter than almost all of the lines mentioned in this thread. 

• 2,385 posts
Posted by trainfan1221 on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:43 PM

richg1998

The last time I went to the Strasburg railroad in the 1980s ,I think it was billed as the longest running short line, about four miles. Only tourist now. That day, #90 was pulling the train. Leaving Strasburg #90 was running backwards and I was standing on the “porch” of the observation car. The smoke box radiated a lot of heat.

Rich

I was going to say the Strasburg, you beat me to it rich.  I guess it wins for oldest though.
  • 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:16 PM

Yes,  And unlike most tourist lines it is also a Common Carrier, too.

• 13,567 posts
Posted by Murphy Siding on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:37 PM

ButchKnouse

Murphy Siding

The DeLorme atlas has E & E running to Valley Springs and on to Minnesota? Am I right in assuming that the line there is actually D & I.

Where are the ends of the E & E, and what do they haul?

I missed this earlier.  Sometimes, I'm spacey.  The E&E tracks technically run all the way to Valley Springs.  However, there are some breaks in the track, one is by Brandon, just northeast of Husets Speedway, and several approaching, and in the town of Valley Springs.  It's probably been nearly 20 years since a train went over the Big Sioux River and Splitrock Creek bridges at Brandon.

On paper, at least, the E&E could run a train all the way to a connection with UP in Worthington, Minnesota, by it's connection with the Nobles & Rock railroad at Manley, Minnesota, 2 miles east of Valley Springs.  Of course, pigs could fly too.  It's all 10 mph track on a good day.

Realisically, the E&E runs from near the tank farm west of I-229 to near Great Bear Recreation Area.  90% of it's traffic is probably hauling gravel from the Sweetman quarry pits near the Sioux Empire Fairgrounds to the Sweetman asphalt plant near Great Bear.  It also hauls scrap metal out of T.J.'s recycling, tankcars into and out of the tankfarm, tankcars to Pam OIL, and lots of cement into the S.D. Cement plant terminal just west of I-229.

Thanks to Chris / CopCarSS for my avatar.

• 422 posts
Posted by jockellis on Monday, June 8, 2009 11:06 PM
The Louisville & Wadley Railroad, a reporting mark railroad in middle Georgia, is 2 miles long. it used to be 10 miles, but the owner pulled up eight of them from just outside Louisville to Wadley because business had dried up there.

Jock Ellis Cumming, GA US of A Georgia Association of Railroad Passengers

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy