Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Modeling Old Man Winter

33 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 375 posts
Modeling Old Man Winter
Posted by P&Slocal on Friday, January 9, 2009 6:41 PM

Is there anyone out there that has set their railroad in the late fall or winter of the year? In the early 1980's I had a railroad in my bedroom and decided to set it in winter. Used ground foam painted white and gobs of spackling to create the snow. Some of my old buildings still have the spackling on them!

I am considering setting my next layout in late fall early winter and would like to see what others are doing.

Robert H. Shilling II

• From: Lake Havasu City, Arizona, now in Guthrie, Oklahoma
  • 665 posts
Posted by luvadj on Friday, January 9, 2009 6:46 PM

There was a great writeup in the February issue about a 8 X 9 layout that RailDreams, Inc. built for someone that is just awe inspiring for a winter scene.

Bob Berger, C.O.O. N-ovation & Northwestern R.R.        My patio layout....SEE IT HERE

There's no place like ~/ ;)

• 375 posts
Posted by P&Slocal on Friday, January 9, 2009 6:55 PM

Will have to check it out. I recall in an old issue of MRR a pic of someones layout with winter scenes involving the Hoosic River (I think). Guess the next time I go back home I'll have to dig the boxes of MRR old of storage.

Robert H. Shilling II

• 1,464 posts
Posted by larak on Friday, January 9, 2009 11:32 PM

P&Slocal
Is there anyone out there that has set their railroad in the late fall or winter of the year?

Well the building is surrounded by real winter. Another 4-8" due tonight. Does that count? That's why I model spring through early fall. Smile,Wink, & Grin

The mind is like a parachute. It works better when it's open.  www.stremy.net

• 1,177 posts
Posted by TheK4Kid on Friday, January 9, 2009 11:44 PM

I hate winter!
This is why I model the summertime!

TheK4Kid

• 784 posts
Posted by mikelhh on Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:01 AM

My layout is set in New England in winter.

I don't want heavy snow. Snow is a mix of Heki Glitter snow and some weird stuff called Micro Balloons which is an extender for epoxies. It works well as snow, but it's very lightweight and takes getting used to because until you're used to it, it's a bit tricky to glue down. The Heki Glitter snow needs [in my opinion] something like the Micro Balloons or Woodland Scenics snow [which I have just acquired] mixed with it.

Although it's hard work making loads of bare trees [loads still to do] it's fun adding the snow.

Mike

Modelling the UK in 00, and New England - MEC, B&M, D&H and Guilford - in H0

• 23,330 posts
Posted by selector on Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:06 AM

Wow, Mike, I think I could see myself skating on the ice...or is it water still...looks glassy and ready for shinny (a type of hockey).  Very credible vegetation...very nice touch!

-Crandell

• 784 posts
Posted by mikelhh on Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:09 AM

Thanks Crandell. There's a little bit of snow dust on the water that stayed put after I tried to brush it away, so I've left it there.

Haven't heard of shinny before. I'll research it Smile

Mike

• 2,916 posts
Posted by wm3798 on Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:32 AM

Here's an outstanding example of early winter/no snow scenery...

Ed Kapuscinski's Conrail 12/85 

And a shot of one my trains on his layout...

Lee

Route of the Alpha Jets  www.wmrywesternlines.net

• 12,914 posts
Posted by tomikawaTT on Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:14 AM

Some very nice model work there!

I think the hardest thing about making a convincing winter scene is dealing with the (1:1 scale) dust.  Grey or brown snow might have been realistic in the Rust Belt during the transition era, but it won't be very convincing if the modeled scene is supposed to be fifty kilometers from the nearest source of coal smoke.

There's a long-bearded story from a half-century ago, that John Allen wanted to try a snow scene on the G&D.  He carefully sifted some bleached flour onto the area to be photographed, then took the photos he had planned.  Then he vacuumed it up.  Seems his birds had started to fly south...

Chuck (Modeling Central Japan in September, 1964 - too early for snow)

• 103 posts
Posted by Alex V. on Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:34 AM

Nice layout, Mike!  Excellent job.

Alex - Engineer, brakeman, conductor, hostler, railfan, railroad historian, and model railroader
  • 3,150 posts
Posted by CNJ831 on Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:11 AM

P&Slocal

Will have to check it out. I recall in an old issue of MRR a pic of someones layout with winter scenes involving the Hoosic River (I think). Guess the next time I go back home I'll have to dig the boxes of MRR old of storage.

That would probably be Lou Sassi's Berkshire Division of the New Haven RR, which appeared in Model Railroader magazine for December 1992. Only half of the layout was set in winter, the remainder being done as autumn. I still regard this as the finest small project layout that MR ever featured.

I would add that a much extended and more detailed version of this layout project, revised to an all summer setting, was re-issued as Kalmbach's A Realistic HO Layout For Beginners in 1998.

CNJ831

• 103 posts
Posted by Alex V. on Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:39 PM

Jan. 2008 issue of Model Railroader has a piece on Eric Brooman's layout - "Fighting Winter on the Utah Belt".  Nice pics in there.

Alex - Engineer, brakeman, conductor, hostler, railfan, railroad historian, and model railroader
  • 8,037 posts
Posted by fifedog on Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:42 AM

I happen to model late fall in the Alleghany Mountains, and I set my time frame about 1976.

Here are a couple of angles of Cumberland, MD.

...and another spot at Meyersdale, PA...

• 531 posts
Posted by citylimits on Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:07 PM

I've never actually experienced snow first hand - just as shown on TV and in magazines. For this reason and not to break any trends I have enjoyed the snow featured layouts in several editions of Mr over the years - this post is enjoyable in the same vein. The question I have asked myself when seeing these season specific layouts is, "does the snow remain a permanant feature of the layout or is it removed at some point and the layout continue on with the next season or a state of being that is at least without this white powder dusting?"

One winter layout in MR from, I believe the 1990's, was completely covered in snow and it looked interesting because of its novelty value - perhaps because of my own experience in a snowless environment, I wonder if modeled snow is a permanant fixture on any layout.

BruceSmile

• 665 posts
Posted by Kenfolk on Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:44 PM

citylimits
...I wonder if modeled snow is a permanant fixture on any layout. BruceSmile

Both. I've seen a permanent layout (I believe in Florida--maybe Cypress Gardens) that had an area with snow. I also know of modelers that use "fake snow" and vacuum it from the layout.

• 8,037 posts
Posted by fifedog on Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:50 PM

citylimits - My CONNELLSVILLE SUBDIVISION is perpetually in snow, but my CUMBERLAND EXTENSION got the late fall treatment.  Reasoning was that from late October through Turkey-Day, you can travel from the Potomac Highlands to Sandpatch and experience both climates.  In the summer time, my basement actually becomes a cool (pun inteded) place to watch trains.

• 2,299 posts
Posted by Dave-the-Train on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:28 AM

I like these pictures of light snow so much I'm quoting the post to repeat them.  Big Smile ... [er... don't know what happened to the quotes...]

I've seen quite a few deep snow layouts which can be impressive but I think that the level of detail required for a dusting of snow or very hard frost is much more demanding.  I'm intrigued by the components of the snow.  Some glitter would certainly seem to be needed for frost.  Does anyone know if I could get these products or similar in the UK?  (Trying to ship any "chemicals" is murder now).

• 7,982 posts
Posted by pcarrell on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:39 AM

When I looked into doing snow, the thing that was a major deterrant was the upkeep.  How to keep the white snow, white?

Philip
  • 6,845 posts
Posted by jrbernier on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:29 PM
Why model winter - it's about -15 below zero right now, and another 3"-5" of snow is on the way tonight. I am staying inside and and work on my trains. Jim in Minnesnowta....

Modeling BNSF  and Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin

• 784 posts
Posted by mikelhh on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:55 PM

Dave the train - the product number for Heki glitter snow is  Nr. 3343 [Shneeglitzer]   You could always crush it a bit if you wanted something finer like frost, for example. You've got me thinking now!

This is mostly the glitter snow with just a few puffs of the Micro Balloons where the snow is thicker. PVA glue got onto some of the grasses by accident, but I like it.

Mike

• 3,150 posts
Posted by CNJ831 on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:55 PM

The best snowscape on a layout (as opposed to just a diorama) that I ever recall seeing was on a section of Bill Henderson's Coal Belt RR. The layout, along with occasional Trackside Photo appearances, can be found in MR in the late 1980's. The layout was also the subject of one of the Allen Keller videos. The snow scene itself depicted the first light snow of the season and was very convincingly done. Unfortunately, the layout is no more.

CNJ831 

• 8,037 posts
Posted by fifedog on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:18 PM

pcarrell - I use Flora-Craft winter snow (found at dollar stores for a buck a bag!!!)  It's bright white fine granules are spread onto wet white gloss latex, and then some crystal glitter is wisped acrossed the scene.  Been down for 5-6 years, and hasn't changed color.

• 678 posts
Posted by dale8chevyss on Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:35 AM

While I can appreciate the modeling of winter and the challenges it provides, I look out the window and see snow.  I don't want to look at my layout and see the same thing.  I can't avoid it outside but I can avoid it on the layout. 

Modeling the N&W freelanced at the height of their steam era in HO.

Daniel G.

• 28 posts
Posted by steam618lover1 on Friday, January 16, 2009 4:19 AM

Hi Fifedog my name is earl and i have some questions, if i go permanitly with snow, how do you hold the snow down on layout and what are some different snows that i can buy, i like the idea of the dollar store snow and the one that you have in your message i think its neet to build a snow layout makes everything look fresh, but here in ohio there calling for 2 too 4 inches plus its -20 below at this time, so right now i'm building my second layout, and there are some great pictures in this thread. Do you add glitter to the snow or does some snow have it already in it.  Thanks Earl

• 1,559 posts
Posted by WSOR 3801 on Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:44 AM

My office window some nights.

I would rather not model it.

I think Rand Hood had some articles on modeling winter as well.  Might be worth looking into.

Mike WSOR engineer | HO scale since 1988 | Visit our club www.WCGandyDancers.com

• 8,037 posts
Posted by fifedog on Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:20 AM

618lover - I simply work in 1 to 2 foot sections, apply a liberal amount of white gloss latex (c'mon, most everyone has a half a can laying around) and spread the FloraCraft snow onto the wet surface.  Then I pour some clear crystal glitter in my palm, and blow, or "wisp" it across the surface.  When the paint dries, your snow is complete.

WSOR3801 - I'll trade you "offices"...Thumbs Up

• 17 posts
Posted by beartracks on Monday, January 19, 2009 4:55 PM

You might want to read the 2 or three articles written by Rand Hood in Model Railroader.  It included how to show melting snow, snow between the rails, ice in streams, etc.

Hope this helps

• 2,299 posts
Posted by Dave-the-Train on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:19 AM

Mikelhh thanks for the Heki stock number Smile

P Carrel.  How long does real snow stay white?  I reckon that most of you will have a much better idea of the answer than I have... you get a lot more snow than I do.  Then again I think that there's a lot of interest to be found in all the colours and things that happen to the appearance of snow ... e.g. wheel tracks and slush...

Cool

• 2,477 posts
Posted by lvanhen on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:37 PM

In northern NJ (NYC suburbs) snow stays white for about 3 minutes!!!Wink   Seriously, the sides of the streets start "graying" as soon as the plows start plowing.Sad  Within a day or two, you have to look in someone's back yard to see white snow - unless the family pet has made it yellow!!Shock

Lou V H Photo by John

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all