Trains.com

confusing signal aspects

50 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 159 posts
confusing signal aspects
Posted by Flint Hills Tex on Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:31 AM

I read an article in a recent issue of "Trains Magazine" about a passenger train accident due (most likely) to confusion on the part of the engineer as to the meaning of a red over yellow signal aspect. The author made the suggestion that US railroads could follow the example of their Canadian competitors and adopt common signaling practices. The main argument against doing so is that railroading in different parts of the country are so different that they require different signaling.

Now I don't buy that! Canada has any terrain that we've got in the US with the exception of deserts, and they've managed it. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not up on my high horse here! Europe sure has nothing close to uniform signaling practices outside of individual countries. Heck, Germany has 4 different signal systems in effect: upper quadrant semaphore signals, Hp Signals (former Federal DB), Hl Signals (former East German DR), and the new Ks Signals, which are supposed to eventually replace all previous signal systems. But until then... And Europeans can't even agree on right-hand running on their double tracked mains!

Still, it seems like since Canadian and US railroading are so similar, couldn't all North American railways agree on common signaling?

Out here we...pay no attention to titles or honors or whatever because we have found they don't measure a man.... A man is what he is, and what he is shows in his actions. I do not ask where a man came from or what he was...none of that is important. -Louis Lámour "Shalako"
  • 24,888 posts
Posted by tree68 on Sunday, March 23, 2008 9:39 AM

This has been discussed at some length already, as a search on signals and signalling will show.  You just have to weed through the model-type posts.

IIRC, there are several kinds of signalling - occupancy, speed, interlocking.  Given the number of aspects required, and the resources available to provide those aspects, you can easily get to the point of needing to duplicate signal aspects in order to confer different meanings, given a specific location.

That's not to say that there couldn't be some streamlining, but you still have to reconcile several rules systems, a plethora of different specific situations, and years of corporate philosophies (dating back through several generations of mergers in some cases) in order to come up with a single unified schema.

Heck, just a look at the Rochelle webcam points up some of that.  BNSF runs right-handed, UP runs left handed.  In the case of UP, that is even more interesting, since I believe the bulk of the UP system generally runs right handed.  The line through Rochelle is former C&NW - a corporate legacy.

LarryWhistling
Resident Microferroequinologist (at least at my house) 
Everyone goes home; Safety begins with you
My Opinion. Standard Disclaimers Apply. No Expiration Date
Come ride the rails with me!
There's one thing about humility - the moment you think you've got it, you've lost it...

• 9,528 posts
Posted by zugmann on Sunday, March 23, 2008 9:51 AM
It can be done, and I'm sure the railroads would love to do it. But it all comes down to money. Standardizing the signal system would take a lot. I don't even know how much - but I'm sure it would be a big number.

The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of my employer, any other railroad, company, or person.

• 11,852 posts
Posted by blue streak 1 on Sunday, March 23, 2008 9:53 AM
Guys read Al Krug's page on signals on aspect and indication. That reference will give you a good idea of signals and tells me no more heads would be required bot might take some reprograming of newer type signals and maybe a flasher installed in the signal cabin. Older all mechanical systems might take more work.
  • 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:17 AM

blue streak 1 wrote:
Guys read Al Krug's page on signals on aspect and indication. That reference will give you a good idea of signals and tells me no more heads would be required bot might take some reprograming of newer type signals and maybe a flasher installed in the signal cabin. Older all mechanical systems might take more work.

About $30 billion to do the job.  This is in an industry with an annual capital expenditure capability of approximately $12 billion and an annual misinterpreted-signal casualty cost of maybe $5 million.

RWM

• 159 posts
Posted by Flint Hills Tex on Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:06 PM
 tree68 wrote:

This has been discussed at some length already, as a search on signals and signalling will show.  You just have to weed through the model-type posts.

I tried the search and found no posts on the topic within the last 2 years. Perhaps it has been discussed at length, but I thought that the recent mishap warranted bringing up the topic again.

And I still say that, if the Canadians could do it (albeit per decree), so could the US railroads.

I have checked Mr. Krug's site before, and it is very informative!

Out here we...pay no attention to titles or honors or whatever because we have found they don't measure a man.... A man is what he is, and what he is shows in his actions. I do not ask where a man came from or what he was...none of that is important. -Louis Lámour "Shalako"
  • 4,821 posts
Posted by jeaton on Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:16 PM
 Lee Koch wrote:
 tree68 wrote:

I tried the search and found no posts on the topic within the last 2 years. Perhaps it has been discussed at length, but I thought that the recent mishap warranted bringing up the topic again.

And I still say that, if the Canadians could do it (albeit per decree), so could the US railroads.

Anything is possible, but who in their right mind would propose spending $30 billion dollars for a return of $5 million.  Even if the US dollar is cheap.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo Possum "We have met the anemone... and he is Russ." Bucky Katt "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr, Nobel laureate in physics

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:37 PM
 Lee Koch wrote:
 tree68 wrote:

The two threads that discussed this are:

http://cs.trains.com/forums/1386705/ShowPost.aspx
http://cs.trains.com/forums/1346122/ShowPost.aspx

I don't think anyone arguing it could not be done.  It's merely a matter of money.

RWM 

• 11,852 posts
Posted by blue streak 1 on Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:48 PM
These cost estimates seem way out of line. Why not just modify the offending signals during normal maintenance or upgades? Some More descriptive signals would still allow for the older aspects.  
  • 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Sunday, March 23, 2008 2:06 PM

blue streak 1 wrote:
These cost estimates seem way out of line. Why not just modify the offending signals during normal maintenance or upgades? Some More descriptive signals would still allow for the older aspects.  

Why do you think those estimates are out of line?

Perhaps I can help, but I would first need to know:

1. which aspects you regard as confusing, and which aspects you want to use
  2. which railway's aspects you want to set as the standard, if any
  3. whether you want to retain the existing train capacities, tonnages, lengths, and maximum authorized speeds (freight and passenger) on each railway on which you want to change aspects
  4. which rulebook you want to adopt as standard.
Those are the basic questions I would put to any client.

RWM 

• 11,852 posts
Posted by blue streak 1 on Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:48 PM
I believe that the red over yellow aspec indicating a diverging restricting indication instead of a red over flashing red (or red over Luna) being restricting is one example. That aspect might have prevented the AMTRAK accident on NS. Not knowing what displays are at that interlocking I can't say more.  Aspects could be the same, the rules could be what ever divisional rules. Again I go back to Al Krug. I have heard that this aspect is different on other NS locations. Is that true?
  • 1,537 posts
Posted by jchnhtfd on Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:34 PM

Railway Man is, unfortunately, on the money.  Not surprising.  It's not as simple as changing something during regular maintenance.  It would be necessary to change over all at once, and retrain all your road people -- and it's not just changing a few bulbs.  More like a few thousand miles of wire and who knows how many relays.

The Canadian problem was much easier: when it was done, there were only two railroads in the country, and one of them was a Crown corporation.  And the differences there were minor.  The differences in the US are very very significant.

Jamie
  • 11,852 posts
Posted by blue streak 1 on Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:54 PM
I believe that the point that several people have made is that at different locations different aspects indicate restricting. As management or as a operator I don't want to miss a restricting indication. I have observed that CSX engineers near where i live will do anything not to operate on a restricting aspect. The northbound interlocking signal will give a restricting as soon a train clears the interlocking as soon as the switch is properly aligned for a following movement. However the engineers almost always wait until they have at least an approach indication. That shows how much they respect restricting. To missinterpret an aspect as not restricting is not to be taken lightly. That is why there needs to be standardization of at least this indication. 
  • 2,261 posts
Posted by n012944 on Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:13 PM

blue streak 1 wrote:
I believe that the point that several people have made is that at different locations different aspects indicate restricting. As management or as a operator I don't want to miss a restricting indication. I have observed that CSX engineers near where i live will do anything not to operate on a restricting aspect. The northbound interlocking signal will give a restricting as soon a train clears the interlocking as soon as the switch is properly aligned for a following movement. However the engineers almost always wait until they have at least an approach indication. That shows how much they respect restricting. To missinterpret an aspect as not restricting is not to be taken lightly. That is why there needs to be standardization of at least this indication. 

It has nothing to do with respect, as it does speed.  With a restricting they can only go, for the most part, walking speed.  An approach allows for much faster movement and less looking out.

An "expensive model collector"

• 15 posts
Posted by bwisch on Monday, March 24, 2008 2:22 PM

I guess Railroading has changed since my time in the Signal Dept.  To operate a track car or an engine (that is be an engineer)  you had to pass a rules exam which very clearly said what the signal aspects meant on the division you authority to operate on.  If you were an engineer on ABC RR you did not operate on XYZ RR therefore you could not confuse signal aspects.  I donj't understand why all the bickering.  And the exzaggerated costs for changing  to a standard.

• 11,852 posts
Posted by blue streak 1 on Monday, March 24, 2008 2:47 PM
Years ago  CSX changed siding signals that were industrial accesses on the Atlanta - Raleigh line by substituting a lunar lens for a yellow. I witnessed a maintainer changing one and after inquiry he said it was to improve safety. Took him 20 minutes. At that time I didn't know the what it was all about. Guess that cost a lot. 
  • 15 posts
Posted by bwisch on Monday, March 24, 2008 3:32 PM
In my day a lunar signal on the MoPac was used to designate going from a signal controlled track to an unsignal controlled track and if you hit anything you were history.  Rules were rules.
  • 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Monday, March 24, 2008 3:42 PM

bwisch wrote:
In my day a lunar signal on the MoPac was used to designate going from a signal controlled track to an unsignal controlled track and if you hit anything you were history.  Rules were rules.

No different now on any railroad I work for.

RWM

• 159 posts
Posted by Flint Hills Tex on Monday, March 24, 2008 4:14 PM

I don't buy the exaggerated costs being estimated here either. Every Class I has CTC on their main lines. Most of them use color signal lights in some combination of green, red and yellow. Switch the oculars if you have to (20 minutes), reprogram your signaling software (expensive, but not in the billions), perhaps change a relay here and there, and adapt your rules book. Traffic lights for roads all work the same, and can be adapted to VERY different situations. It can be done, and at lower cost than has been claimed here.

And railroads have been known to invest plenty of money in their infrastructure at minimal return just because it improves operations. See the fly-over through Wichita, KS. That cost a bundle compared to the costs of grade crossing incidents on that particular stretch!

• 9,528 posts
Posted by zugmann on Monday, March 24, 2008 4:41 PM
But you can't just start adjusting a signal here, a signal there. Has to be system wide and in the timetable. My piece of the railroad pie has several different signal types. From cab signals with no waysides to dark territory, 251, and 261. All different heritages as well. The maintainers have enough trouble keeping the status quo - without ripping everything out and starting again.

It comes down to QUALIFICATION. If you don't know what a restricting signal is, get the hell out of the cab! If you are unsure about a medium approach and approach medium (we use speed designations on my territory), then get out the rulebook and look. That's why we make the (supposedly) big bucks.

The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of my employer, any other railroad, company, or person.

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Monday, March 24, 2008 4:53 PM
 Lee Koch wrote:

I don't buy the exaggerated costs being estimated here either. Every Class I has CTC on their main lines. Most of them use color signal lights in some combination of green, red and yellow. Switch the oculars if you have to (20 minutes), reprogram your signaling software (expensive, but not in the billions), perhaps change a relay here and there, and adapt your rules book. Traffic lights for roads all work the same, and can be adapted to VERY different situations. It can be done, and at lower cost than has been claimed here.

And railroads have been known to invest plenty of money in their infrastructure at minimal return just because it improves operations. See the fly-over through Wichita, KS. That cost a bundle compared to the costs of grade crossing incidents on that particular stretch!

Lee:  Thanks for sharing your opinions so candidly.  My day job includes directing a 20-person signal design team, preparing cost estimates of signal installations, and writing railroad business plans including return-on-investment calculations for everything from new main tracks to short-line rail rehabilitations to freight opportunities large and small, so if there's anything further I can add or explain, please don't hesitate to ask.

RWM

• 2,849 posts
Posted by wabash1 on Monday, March 24, 2008 5:45 PM
In my opinion The only reason anyone outside the railroad only wants the signal system to be standard and made public so they know what is going on. right now they see that there is several meanings for 1 signal . I am a engineer on the ns and am qualified over 350 miles of track. from ctc to abs with twc and dark with twc. over 6 differant railroads and 3 differant types of interlockings.  automatic interlocking , manual and the standard stop sign at the railroad crossing. and to date no wrecks and have not injured any co-worker.
  • 339 posts
Posted by Jack_S on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:03 AM

Let me toss in a wild card.  What about signals where the colored lights compete directly with the rising or setting sun?  At Fullerton CA, when the sun is setting at one of the Equinoxes (like now) it is setting right behind the signals west of the station.  I have some difficulty ascertaining if the signal is flashing or not, let alone whether it is yellow or red.  Green is easier to see but not by much.  And I have good, often tested, color vision.  (I worked in electronics, and job entry requirements often included a color vision test.)

This is one area where the old semaphores had a distinct advantage.

Jack

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:26 AM
 Jack_S wrote:

Let me toss in a wild card.  What about signals where the colored lights compete directly with the rising or setting sun?  At Fullerton CA, when the sun is setting at one of the Equinoxes (like now) it is setting right behind the signals west of the station.  I have some difficulty ascertaining if the signal is flashing or not, let alone whether it is yellow or red.  Green is easier to see but not by much.  And I have good, often tested, color vision.  (I worked in electronics, and job entry requirements often included a color vision test.)

This is one area where the old semaphores had a distinct advantage.

Jack

Semaphores indeed had an advantage in that situation -- plus, you can see them from the back side, too, which was nice back in the track-car lineup days.

However, (1) the engineman must know where the signals are on the territory, and (2) if the signal aspect cannot be determined, then the engineman must regard that signal as displaying its most restrictive aspect. 

There are other common reasons for a signal aspect to be indeterminate, such as lamp failure, the head has turned sideways due to wind, vandalism, power or circuit failure, mast is down because it was struck by a shifted load or wayward rubber-tire vehicle, snow is blocking the lens, etc.

RWM 

• 919 posts
Posted by arkansasrailfan on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:12 AM

Today signals are standard, but there are two versions. One is ATC(Automatic Traffic Control), which will stop trains moving past a red, and convential CTC. The only place where trains run on the left hand is on UP's ex-CNW mainlines.

In Mexico, it's all train orders and telegraph, and I think KCSM runs on CTC or ATC.

-Michael It's baaaacccckkkk!!!!!! www.youtube.com/user/wyomingrailfan
  • 159 posts
Posted by Flint Hills Tex on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:44 AM
 Railway Man wrote:

Lee:  Thanks for sharing your opinions so candidly.  My day job includes directing a 20-person signal design team, preparing cost estimates of signal installations, and writing railroad business plans including return-on-investment calculations for everything from new main tracks to short-line rail rehabilitations to freight opportunities large and small, so if there's anything further I can add or explain, please don't hesitate to ask.

RWM

Thanks, Railwayman, I am glad to know that somebody out there does know what they're talking about. Didn't mean to ruffle anybody's feathers, though. And while I have to admire the skills of a locomotive engineer who has passed tests on varying signal systems, it still seems to me like savings would be greater in the long run. Instead of having to teach personell all the varying systems, just teach them one. That would also make it easier for somebody to change employers, and would save the new employer from having to re-train the guy. No departments having to draw up railroad-specific rules, because they'd be the same at every railroad. Uniform cab signals would also make pooling motive power easier.

I just don't get why the railroads get so defensive about their own signals/rules, etc. And as to the argument about wanting to know what's going on, yeah, I am a die-hard rail fan, and one of the aspects of the hobby I really enjoy is reading signal aspects. But it's almost like some folks want signaling to be priviledged information available only to members of an elite fraternity, or something.

And of course, the whole question of uniform signaling ties in with the concept of open access, but I don't think we want to go there in this thread.

• 2,849 posts
Posted by wabash1 on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:26 AM
everyone thinks that you are just going along like you do in your car and all of a sudden you come upon a red signal or a restricting. In rare real RARE instances this happens and you stop and get permission to procede. but in 99.9% of the time the previous signal will alert you to the next signal indication if running on clears the next signal will be green or yellow if running on yellow its going to be a stop or restricting, or clear. Every railroad is uniform about 1 thing the signal indication of restrictiong or maybe its placement. even amtrak employees . ALL yard tracks are restricting , think about it. yard tracks where they switch cars out and store them are not signaled run around tracks can be and sometimes are, but the tracks in the yard is not and they do use some of these tracks as run thru also so when you go to dark territory you always get a restricting.  there is nothing wrong with the system and what aint broke dont fix it, from what i can tell the southern has the best system green= go  yellow= slow down prepare to stop and then  a red for restricting and double red for stop. red will have a number plate under it. no more and no less real simple
  • 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:55 AM
 Lee Koch wrote:

Thanks, Railwayman, I am glad to know that somebody out there does know what they're talking about. Didn't mean to ruffle anybody's feathers, though. And while I have to admire the skills of a locomotive engineer who has passed tests on varying signal systems, it still seems to me like savings would be greater in the long run. Instead of having to teach personell all the varying systems, just teach them one. That would also make it easier for somebody to change employers, and would save the new employer from having to re-train the guy. No departments having to draw up railroad-specific rules, because they'd be the same at every railroad. Uniform cab signals would also make pooling motive power easier.

I just don't get why the railroads get so defensive about their own signals/rules, etc. And as to the argument about wanting to know what's going on, yeah, I am a die-hard rail fan, and one of the aspects of the hobby I really enjoy is reading signal aspects. But it's almost like some folks want signaling to be priviledged information available only to members of an elite fraternity, or something.

And of course, the whole question of uniform signaling ties in with the concept of open access, but I don't think we want to go there in this thread.

Lee: Teaching people the different systems in the operating crafts is not hard, or expensive, or time consuming -- at least when I learned them at my Class I, it didn't seem hard to me.  And you get to carry a "cheat sheet" -- the employee timetables -- with you at all times.  In signal engineering it gets quite a bit more complicated but I don't have any trouble shifting from one railway's system to another on a daily basis.  The number of accidents caused by trainmen misinterpreting a signal is a very small number -- maybe once a year.  I don't see it as a problem begging to be solved when there are so many much more important safety issues that do kill large numbers of people, e.g., grade-crossings. 

We don't have too much cab signaling in the U.S. on freight railroads.  Within 10 years it is expected to be gone, replaced by CBTC, on which BNSF, NS, UP and CSX have essentially agreed on a common standard. 

Signal departments sometimes do come across as defensive, and not without reason.  Very few people at railroads outside of the signal department understand how the signal system works and how easy it is to make mistakes.  When I moved into signal from operating I have to say the learning curve was even more unpleasant than it was in operating, and it wasn't any fun at all learning operating.  Signal engineering and maintenance is not rocket science but the details are all critical, each detail affects every other detail, and overlooking any one of them is disastrous.

Signaling is different between railroads because each railroad has different geography and traffic, and each railroad wants to get the most out of their property for the big money that signaling costs.  Just one simple CTC siding costs at least $1.5 million for the signals alone.  One-size-fits-all solutions are usually inefficient solutions.  It would be cheaper to sew and sell clothing if it all came in one size, but it would fit almost no one.

RWM 

• 4,821 posts
Posted by jeaton on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:59 AM

Question here.  As updated lineside signals are installed-replacement of old systems, dark to signaled, new construction, etc.-is each railroad employing a system wide standard for display aspects?  It seems to me that that would make some sense.  Some exceptions, but most freight train crews don't don't get off their employer's rails.  With that, what would be the point of nationwide uniformity? 

On the other hand, is there any move for uniform standards for ATC systems?  Seems like that might be driven by the need for some uniformity with the hardware in locomotives.  As we all know, locomotives do frequently run off the the home road.

Answered above. (CBCT)

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo Possum "We have met the anemone... and he is Russ." Bucky Katt "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr, Nobel laureate in physics

• 24,888 posts
Posted by tree68 on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:06 AM

I don't think anyone is going to question the red=stop, green=go concept.  It is standard across the land. 

Interlockings are a different animal, of course, and some are more unique than others (how do you approach a unique interlocking?  You 'neak up on it...Evil [}:)]).

It's all those gray areas that seem to be the problem.  Either a given aspect only exists on this fallen flag's lines, or the rules for it are different. 

To try and draw slightly different angle here - what if one state used arrows to signify left turn permissions at intersections (as most do nowadays), but another simply added a lunar to the rest of the lights?  If the light is green and you have a lunar as well, you're clear to make a left turn.  Another state uses a flashing amber, with a lunar to indicate that you can make a left turn, but watch out for oncoming traffic. 

Hopefully you get my drift.

The railroads do tend to be a lot like the fire service - only the fire service has been doing it longer - 300 years of tradition unfettered by progress.

Standardizing signal aspects across the country can hardly be a bad thing.  What needs to be discerned is exactly where there are aspects that are inconsistent, why they exist, and what the best solution would be (ie, what aspect should replace the existing aspect and still accomplish the desired result).

Since so much of the country is already on at least a similar sheet of music, sorting out the "trouble" spots might actually turn out to be less painful than years of work and millions upon millions of dollars.

Those unique locations (and the track profile) notwithstanding, I'd bet that any of our resident engineers could run virtually anywhere in the country.  Red=stop, Yellow=slow down, Green=go.

LarryWhistling
Resident Microferroequinologist (at least at my house) 
Everyone goes home; Safety begins with you
My Opinion. Standard Disclaimers Apply. No Expiration Date
Come ride the rails with me!
There's one thing about humility - the moment you think you've got it, you've lost it...

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy