Trains.com

Trackside Lounge: 1Q 2010 Edition

430 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 3,076 posts
Posted by CopCarSS on Monday, March 29, 2010 10:30 AM

Good Morning!

I don't have a whole lot to report from this weekend. However, next weekend looks to be a good one. While I'm still on 4 day work weeks and disliking it, it'll be nice to have this Friday off. There's something big happening a bit further north. Wink

-Chris
West Chicago, IL
Christopher May Fine Art Photography

"In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." ~Ansel Adams

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Monday, March 29, 2010 3:57 PM
Chris, I would gladly have let you work my extra day, if such a thing were possible.

Actually, today wasn't so bad. Nice, easy pace.

SJ, I was on an afternoon job with Tuesday and Wednesday off when we all were new to the Forum. They changed that job to Mondays and Tuesdays when the Signal Department changed its work window day. The "cause" of this most recent change was restoration of all of the jobs--corporate memory must be very short-term, because they could have done it without messing with day-shift's off days. If you want weekends off now, you have to work nights. No, thanks!

The bad news is, the upsurge is supposed to be temporary, due to the threat of flooding up in Minnesota. It seems that things are getting back to normal--we've gotten our old classifications to work with again. I don't know if we'll lose the jobs we just got back.

Randy, I knew somebody here lived in Burlington, but I was thinking it was Jay. I'm sure, based on our experience there, that we'll be back! Just for fun, it might be interesting to take Illinois 83 all the way up to where it changes to Wisconsin 83 and continues to Burlington. "Our" 83 passes just a few miles east of Lombard, and skirts Chicago before ending at the Indiana border.

The best news is, that I'm off now, and this is the first time I've officially encountered the revised Hours of Service regulations. I have a mandatory rest period of 48 hours from the time I tied up today. These next 48 hours are supposed to be pleasant, with highs in the 60s tomorrow and the 70s Wednesday. Pat wants to take a hike in the Arboretum one of those days, and we should break out the bikes, too. I'd like to properly introduce a grandchild or three to trains and train-watching, if they can work us in to their busy schedules.

Tonight, we're going to a book party, where a book related to local history is being debuted. We plan on getting a few of these books, signed by the authors (one of whom I happen to be married to).

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 4,917 posts
Posted by CNW 6000 on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:57 AM

CNs train #340 had a UDE yesterday.  Hearing some of the comments from motorists at crossings  "The d@#$ railroad only does this to tick off the City and show that they don't care!" was pretty amazing.  Once I explained to them what actualy was going on and that the conductor had a very long walk ahead of him...they were like "Oh, that sucks for him" and calmed down.  Turned out that the gladhands not far from the rear of the train got knocked apart - easy fix.  The crew was pretty nice...Smile,Wink, & Grin

It's "Friday" for me today.  I will definately be out 'fanning over the next 6 days.  I'd actually like to go see the diamonds at Duplainville if I get the chance as I've never been there.  A trip to Rochelle would be awesome...but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I'm taking Aedan to the hunting grounds for the first time (it'll be in the 70s) carrying on the tradition my father started with me.  He took me there when I was about Aedan's age for my first visit.  It'll be interesting to see how he does.  The little squirt is trying so hard to stand up and take itty bitty steps...pretty amazing process to watch.

One of my most recent shots from trackside is below.  I used to railfan here as a kid.  Of course...things were different then.  Trees were barely big enough for shade, CNW ran the rails, and there was a siding!  Still...I like the shot.

Dan

• 3,076 posts
Posted by CopCarSS on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:18 AM

I like the shot, too, Dan! There's nothing like finding one's old stomping grounds and figuring out what has changed. It's why I stop at Eola every time I'm back in Aurora!

-Chris
West Chicago, IL

"In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." ~Ansel Adams

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:33 AM
Further north...like, maybe, Cheyenne?

We're having short-sleeves-and-shorts weather here today. We're going to meet Ellen and the kids in Downers Grove for lunch in a couple of hours, and I'm just hoping the BNSF will cooperate with this! They have a hard time fitting us in between the morning's activities and nap-time.

Got some fairly surprising news yesterday. The TV channels were talking about the fire and police heroes in Westmont, Illinois, that pulled a couple of victims out of a retention pond that their car had gone into. The emphasis of the story was on the two heroes, and rightly so. But the driver of the car was a guy who I used to be well acquainted with--a modeler, historian, and former EMD employee. We also knew his wife (who remains in critical condition; he's in good condition) and their kids, who were a few years older than ours. We've not been able to get an update from this morning (the incident happened Monday night; we first heard about it last evening).

Dan, it sounds like your "weekend" is coinciding pretty well with my work week. I'd encourage the trips to Duplainville and Rochelle, if you could do it (though the latter sounds a little far for a one-day family outing). Sorry I wouldn't be able to join you there, but Thursday through Monday are now work days for me.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:36 AM

CShaveRR
The TV channels were talking about the fire and police heroes in Westmont, Illinois, that pulled a couple of victims out of a retention pond that their car had gone into. The emphasis of the story was on the two heroes, and rightly so.

....This type of story is so wide spread and so often....Just a few days ago, in our Indianapolis area, a Mustang was pulled out of a side of the road pond and it also included a fatality.

Why oh why isn't there regulations regarding these {retention ponds near streets in additions, as well as ponds near highways}....stating a guardrail structure must be in place on the side that faces the street or highway....!!

Quentin

• 3,076 posts
Posted by CopCarSS on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:45 AM

CShaveRR
Further north...like, maybe, Cheyenne?

That's what I was thinking, yes. And then east to, let's say...North Platte? Wink

On a serious note, your friend's wife and his family will be in my prayers.

-Chris
West Chicago, IL

• 13,488 posts
Posted by Mookie on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:18 PM

Chris - etch my name somewhere in North Platte and tell them I will be there to read it in May!  Shy

She who has no signature! cinscocom-tmw

• 10,794 posts
Posted by mudchicken on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:18 PM

Chris: Find a way to slide over to Grant, NE on the way "north"

US-6 east out of Sterling to Holyoke ; North on US-385 about 1/2 mile to just north of the trax; then east on CO/NE 23 to Grant ....You can go north on NE-61 to Ogalalla(I-80) or continue east on 23 to US-83 North into N.Platte

Mudchicken Nothing is worth taking the risk of losing a life over. Come home tonight in the same condition that you left home this morning in. Safety begins with ME.... cinscocom-west
  • 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:12 PM

?

I hate Rust

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:20 PM
cudaken

?

Place looks deserted...it was abandoned in favor of the second-quarter edition. The Lounge is a place to ask railroad questions, post railroad photographs, describe railfan (or railroad) experiences, or otherwise discuss what's important in your lives. Please, no mention of or playing at serving meals. The lack of that nonsense is the principal thing that distinguishes us from the Flat-Wheel Cafe, also on this Forum.

Carl

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy