Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Elliot's Diner, Mark XVI

746 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 2,822 posts
Posted by LSWrr on Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:50 PM

Evening,

5 thunder storms rolled through here since 3pm.  The water gage on the side of the house recorded ¾” of rain.  I was impressed it caught anything since the rain was falling sideways.

Jeff’s back drop work was so impressive I ordered some back drops from http://www.sceniking.com/

F042 Corn Belt 53.25" x 8"

F045 Wheat Belt 53.25" x 8"

C003 Town Site 101" x 13"

C002 Trackside Industrial Town 51" x 13"

I added ducks and swans to the river tonight and I hope tomorrow I’ll finish up the Christmas Tree lot.

BM1 Lee Soule USCG (ret)
 L.S.&W Railroad Serving the Lower Great Lakes

• 3,549 posts
Posted by Flashwave on Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:56 PM

LSWrr
5 thunder storms rolled through here since 3pm.  The water gage on the side of the house recorded ¾” of rain.  I was impressed it caught anything since the rain was falling sideways.

We got nothing today.

Evening all. Working on Chemistrym thought about dopping in. Wanna hear about my Rotary design? No? Tuff. I wanna talk.

So, I'm planning an ABBA snow plow set of F units, with the fronts replaced with rotaries. During normal service, the blades are disabled, and all four locos are driving trhemselves. When it omes to snow time, the A engines, are unhooked from the traction motors, the engine drives the rotary, and the B units feed the traction motors of the As Slug style. Since, once they hit the snows, there isn;t gonna be any need for speed, just power. I'm also debating a crew car between the Bs, a C unit, perhaps.

-Morgan

• 1,358 posts
Posted by secondhandmodeler on Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:12 PM

Those sceniking backdrops are pretty nice.  I bought a few for my layout from a train show last spring.  I haven't installed them yet, but they should turn out quite well.   I'll be interested to see how yours turn out.

Corey
  • 490 posts
Posted by nik .n on Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:44 PM

Milk,Chloe.

Flashwave

LSWrr

We got nothing today.

Evening all. Working on Chemistrym thought about dopping in. Wanna hear about my Rotary design? No? Tuff. I wanna talk.

So, I'm planning an ABBA snow plow set of F units, with the fronts replaced with rotaries. During normal service, the blades are disabled, and all four locos are driving trhemselves. When it omes to snow time, the A engines, are unhooked from the traction motors, the engine drives the rotary, and the B units feed the traction motors of the As Slug style. Since, once they hit the snows, there isn;t gonna be any need for speed, just power. I'm also debating a crew car between the Bs, a C unit, perhaps.

Wow, I wanna see that! And add that C-unit. Maybe it could be a F3b that the magic smoke came out of, with bigger windows, a caboose chimney sticking out where the exhaust stack was, a section cut into the corner, where an A-B-B-A equivalent of air compressors are, and where the compressors are in the other units, make into more sand storage! Yeah!!

Whistling

(Take my words with a grain of salt, I got overenthusiastic Ashamed)

Prayers for recent storm victims/close-callers and whoever else needs it!Angel

I'll see who comes in

• 3,698 posts
Posted by TMarsh on Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:44 PM

Cut up some downed trees today and hauled to the village burn pile, then my buddy decided to use the grain truck tomorrow instead of the pickups to haul. Obviously holds more and has dump capabilities sooo we went to his farm and worked on it to get it ready for tomorrow. The mice got in it again so kinda smelly.......again. Still no one in or out of town if you don't live or work here and an 11:00 curfew to be inside. I said finally a rule I can live with. I'm too old to be out late anyway. The guys at the elevator almost couldn't get to work. I asked the deputy how long this was going to last and he said he has no idea. At least tomorrow, maybe even through the weekend. They're concerned about looters from surrounding areas coming in and the curfew helps keep the streets clear and easier to pick up on someone out and about that doesn't belong. I bet there is a deputy or a trooper around every corner sitting in the dark. You'd think everybody had a fortune in their house. The Sheriff is from here and so are a few deputies so there is a big showing from the county.  

Teen steam- We try not to keep Vinnie busy. He's the bouncer/keeper of the peace/ enforcer. Not a good thing when he shows up. Ugly too. 

Jeff- Isn't that what always happens. Looking forward to the photos.

Lee- Scenic without a "c" That's why I couldn't find it on the internet. Two very good links Lee thanks. Sceniking I can now see has a wooded area that will work. Between that and the Busch one it should work out fine for a good start. i just glanced but I'll look better later to see if others will work. My LHS carries them I just didn't notice some. or they didn't have them on display. That workshop interior is just what the doctor ordered!! Thanks again.

Jim- Be sure to check out the sceniking link Lee posted I think you'll be pleased with the desert scenes.

Flashwave- Sounds like you have a bit of work before you. Think you'll get it done before the snow flies? We'll wait for the pictures of the project.

AngelZzz

Todd  

Central Illinoyz

In order to keep my position as Master and Supreme Ruler of the House, I don't argue with my wife.

I'm a small town boy. A product of two people from even smaller towns. I don’t talk on topic….. I just talk. Laugh

• 10,198 posts
Posted by howmus on Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:55 PM

Evenin' folks!

I got home from the museum about 45 minutes ago and have been hurrying to get the night shoot photos downloaded and ready to put up on line before those Thunderboomers that Barry is sending my way arrive.  And it looks like they will arrive soon!  We are under a severe thunderstorm watch right now and the map says I have 15 or 20 minutes before it hits.

Just as we were finishing up the night shoot, we could see lightning off in the distance.  Probably a hundred miles away as it was already pitch black out.

I had one of those nights where if my head wasn't firmly attached, I would have lost it I think.  First off I get on the train headed up for what I thought would be the last trip up before the night shoot.  Get up there and realise that I let the remote cord for the camera in the bag at the depot...  And that I didn't have a flashlight on me.  So I find out that they will be making one last trip down to the staion before we actually do the shoot.  I get all the stuff, but without the flashlight, can't set up the camera in the dark.  Thanks to the help of one of our younger members who got his Masters from RIT a few years ago and is basically an internet professional with major knowledge of cameras help, I get it set properly.  Except that the shutter won't open like it is supposed to so most of my shots turned out.... Shall we say a bit strange as the shutter waited 10 or 15 seconds before it decided to open after I locked it open with the remote.  Finally I figured out that it was because I had turned on the Live View, but hadn't set live view as active.......  I did get a few decent shots at the end...  A few for your enjoyment: 

My favorite old diseasal on this planet! 

Our Erie Caboose:

And a close up of the stair light on old LV211:

Enjoy!

Ray Seneca Lake, Ontario, and Western R.R. (S.L.O.&W.) in HO

We'll get there sooner or later! 

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:16 PM

Good Morning, America!

... how are you?

Don't you know me I'm your native son,
I'm the train they call The City of New Orleans,
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done.

Whistling

Chloe, please, I need some of your eye-opening coffee in my ARR mug. We had a terrible thunderstorm last night, "kaboooming" me right out of sleep. Did not cool down as expected, so it´s really hot and sticky weather - Disapprove

Teen Steam Fan - a late, but hopefully not too late Sign - Welcome from this side of the Big Pond. Read that you get some inspiration out of European trains. If you need more info, just tell me and I am happy to provide.

Jim - take care of that cold and stay away from pork a little while, will ya? Big Smile

Someone must have given word to Vinnie about Petra´s Strudel place. He showed me his argument about competition, made by Messrs. Smith & Wesson. Could calm him down only by promising to deliver free strudel for the next two weeks.

I am surprised to see that photo-realistic backgrounds are having a renaissance. Busch does such a fantastic job in "fading" away to create distance. I have seen many a nice layout being spoiled by a too crisp and colorful backdrop, that, for many years, I just painted my backdrops in a very light shade of grey.. Most of the times the sky is grey

" I've been for a walk on a winters day
if I didn't tell her I could leave today
california dreaming on such a winters day  ...Whistling

• 2,822 posts
Posted by LSWrr on Friday, August 21, 2009 6:18 AM
Good morning,
Thanks to all for the comments on the last group of layout pictures.  All those pictures came from the first 12 feet of layout. I’ve put a lot of time into that area and its still not finished.  The ducks and swans look good in the creek, but their so small; if I didn’t make a group of ducks and a group of swans you would never see them.

I got an email from the backdrop company, they are closed until 14SEP09.  So I have a while before I can place an order.

Todd; wow that’s some story, and those pictures!  I’m glad you and your house made it ok, that’s amazing the level of destruction.  I did notice one thing in your pictures; other than the church the turn of the century – 1940’s houses seem to need new shingles and the newer houses need a new everything.  Says something about the building materials and construction methods we have “evolved” to.

Teen Steam fan
: Welcome to the diner (a little late).  Someone else in the diner was hanging out at a European model rail club here in the States.  

PC;
I’m guessing maybe everyone’s phone service is out?  No phone no phone calls to report the outage.
We had an issue at work:http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/national_world&id=6973764As the new guy in the shop I was asked: “What action do we need to pursue”.The bridge opened, the ship passed, commerce was unaffected, I don’t see a problem.  You also have to think; how many cars go over the bridge every year for the past 50 years and this never happened.

BM1 Lee Soule USCG (ret)

• 3,698 posts
Posted by TMarsh on Friday, August 21, 2009 6:23 AM

Good morning, Biscuits and Gravy please and coffee thank you. (yawn) I guess I fell asleep in the booth. High today only 72 F with a 40% chance of rain this afternoon. More Cleanup today, at least it won't be hot, then I have to work tonight.

Ray- Nice pictures. Sounds like you had quite the ordeal getting them. Keep your head down in the storm.

Ulrich- Sounds like T-storms all around for us diners lately. Really cooled down today or at least it's suppose to

Have a Great Day!!!

Todd  

Central Illinoyz

In order to keep my position as Master and Supreme Ruler of the House, I don't argue with my wife.

I'm a small town boy. A product of two people from even smaller towns. I don’t talk on topic….. I just talk. Laugh

• 3,698 posts
Posted by TMarsh on Friday, August 21, 2009 6:33 AM

Lee- Wild the tires would even hold the car. I want a set of those babies!!

Todd  

Central Illinoyz

• 4,240 posts
Posted by Fergmiester on Friday, August 21, 2009 6:40 AM

Good Morning Gents~

Yes I am alive and kicking. John dropped me a line to let me know my absence had been noted and the Q. had been raised: "Where was he?"

Short answer: "Over Here"

Long Answer: Half way up the Labrador Coast sitting at anchor waiting for engine parts to effect repairs to a main engine. Good thing is I'm at a sheltered anchorage and hopefully Hurricane Bill will remain well to the South of me. We should be back and operational come Tuesday.

Command does have it's down side.

As for the MR'ng well let's just say I've taken a Hiatus and gotten back into Photography as it seems simpler at present. I suspect whenI do get back to the MESS (hopefully this winter) there will be some major changes as I plan on tearing down 2/3rds of it and starting over again, Ya  I know Say it ain't so. But with the advent of 2-10-2's and 2-10-4's arriving it was a given.

Speaking of which Anyone have a Tender for a CPR Selkirik (2-10-4) ??? I've been doing Ebay for 9 months now and nada!

Anyway have a great one Gents

Fergie

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5959

If one could roll back the hands of time... They would be waiting for the next train into the future. A. H. Francey 1921-2007  

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Friday, August 21, 2009 6:56 AM

Good morning.

It's 74 and mostly clear. The high will be around 93 and there's a chance of rain.

Yesterday's weather was very wet! We had one thunderstorm after another moving through so just when it seemed it was over it all started right back up again. As a consequence I was able to put a lot of work in on the backdrop so the hardest part of it is behind me now. The background scene is up and it looks really good. Now I'm playing around with some foreground scenes, mostly structure photos, to see how they look against it. There's one at the end of this post. I won't be doing much work on the layout today as I've got an appointment to see the foot doc later today.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA  71446-6114      8/21/2009

Heat Index:  79°F
Humidity:  99%
Dew Point:  74°F

So Far Today
High:  76°F
Low:  74°F
Rain:  0.00"
Rain Rate:  0.00"/h
Gust:  0mph NNE

Today  High: 92 with a heat index of 105.   A 70 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southwest winds around 5 mph.

Tonight  Low: 70    Partly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows around 70. West winds around 5 mph.

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Friday, August 21, 2009 7:46 AM

Here are some shots of the results of yesterday's work.

Joined June, 2004

Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises

• 2,545 posts
Posted by Robby P. on Friday, August 21, 2009 8:02 AM

Gooooood morning.  Its rainig, and some thunder.  Thats a good way to start your morning.

Both of my cars sold "Katy, and the EACH".  Gotta mail them out today.  So far my plan is working.   Sell one, buy three!!

Jeff.........Thats a great looking picture Thumbs Up.

Well I just got off of work, and I'm tired.  I will be back in later.

"Rust, whats not to love?"      

• 7,982 posts
Posted by pcarrell on Friday, August 21, 2009 8:45 AM

Mornin' all!

Supposed to be a beautiful day around here today.  Rode my bike to work and I'll be riding home to do some leather work on it this evening.  I'm supposed to meet up with a group of riders tomorrow that all ride vintage bikes (mines not vintage yet, but it's out of production and it looks vintage) and I want to look my best ya know!  Besides, I've been meaning to get this stuff done for a while now, and this is as good of an excuse as any I guess, right?

Lee, HOLY COW!!!!  There's a cheap thrill for ya!  I'm guessing that'll get the heart pumping better then the E ticket ride at Disney World!

Oh well, Gotta run for now!

Prayers for those in need..........thats you and me both!

Philip
  • 2,576 posts
Posted by Cox 47 on Friday, August 21, 2009 9:41 AM

Morning all..Its sunny and cooler here 68 with a breeze from north..make you think about fall..Coffee and a sweet roll for me please...Thank You..We got a big week-end a wdding on sallie's side of family saturday and family get together on my side sunday..Doesn't look like I'll have much time to railroad..

Fergie...Good to hear from you!!

Jeff..Back drop looks great...

You all have a good one...Jerry

ILLinois and Southern...Serving the Coal belt of southern Illinois with a Smile...
  • 2,576 posts
Posted by Cox 47 on Friday, August 21, 2009 9:43 AM

Looks like it on me today!!How about a All You can eat Pizza bar for lunch?..Order up and enjoy...Jerry

ILLinois and Southern...Serving the Coal belt of southern Illinois with a Smile...
  • 10,198 posts
Posted by howmus on Friday, August 21, 2009 9:55 AM

Mornin' everyone!

Zoe, I'll have the #2 special, over easy on the eggs, bacon, homefies, and a double order of sourdough bread.  Please and thanks you.  I'll be in the front booth watching everything going on outside.

Its a gray gloomy day here in the Finger Lakes.  Variable clouds with showers and thunder showers all day long.  Currently 72°F with a high of 80°F and very high humidity.  I'll be staying inside most of the day.....  I do have to load the Timesaver into the pickup truck some time today.  (That is assuming the truck will start - hasn't been run in a month or so.)  Then I need to do some house cleaning....   I sometimes remember my mom and how she used to stay up half the night cleaning the house on the day before the house cleaner was scheduled to come and clean.  Well she certainly didn't want her to see the house THIS dirty.............. 

Fergie!!!  Good to see you!  Yes, you have been missed.  Hope the "Bill" stays well away from your location.  By Monday or Tuesday I bet Thunder Hole in Acadia will be "talking" pretty good. 

Ulrich, I enjoy your choice of music sir!  

Lee, I couldn't get the video to play (gotta upgrade the OS on my main computer...) but it sure sounds like something that would have me changing clothes in a hurry!!!

Jeffrey, the new backdrop looks great.  Big improvement!

I looked out my window while eating breakfast this morning and see a cat looking lost walking across my yard.  Looked again and it looks like the cat across the street.  First time I have ever seen it outside. I tried to call over there to ask if they knew it was outside, but the listed number for them doesn't work (get the "the number you have reached is not a working number......" message).  I now see the cat is on their porch and their front door is open (just a screen closed) so I assume the cat was let out.  Probably I have just never seen her outside before...?...

Hope you all have a good day!

Ray Seneca Lake, Ontario, and Western R.R. (S.L.O.&W.) in HO

We'll get there sooner or later! 

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, August 21, 2009 10:25 AM

Good Afternoon Folks,

Zoe, I´ll have my RBF at the RC - I guess the switcher is getting ready to move us pretty soon.

Ray - that was the music I listened to back in the 1970´s, when I discovered the West, driving around in an 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass. I was just 18 then and the world was mine! Good times - I mean REALLY good times!

I still don´t know what made me return to Germany - SoapBox

Finally, it cooled down  a little bit - actually, it turned into a pleasant day. I spent an hour in my garden, just watching the clouds move by high in the sky. If it weren´t  for my financial worries, I could get used to this kind of life, doing nothing. Doc said today, I am doing fine and should continue to just relax.

Janie, you will have to make room for tomorrow´s delivery of another load of Petra´s Special Strudel, as I have promised  to Vinnie - Vinnie? Thank god, he´s still asleep...

Jeffrey - I like those pics, the backdrop blends nicely into the scenery. I still have one left from a project that did not materialize.

Time for supper...

• 2,201 posts
Posted by last mountain & eastern hogger on Friday, August 21, 2009 11:26 AM

Whistling

Top of the morning Gang,

Chloe, if you please, a double order of cinnamon toast, a bowl of blueberries and cream and a tall RB to chase.

Ulrich, glad to hear you are feeling better and that the temp has moderated.

Jeff, great job on the backdrops, maybe you need a cell tower or fire rangers tower to hide that small problem that happened.

Fergie, We all are glad to hear you are still afloat. Tough luck with the engine problem, but I know your guys are good and will have that over with soon.   Good luck with the big blow as well.

Jerry,  Have a great week-end and keep Sallie out of the juice, we don't want any tickets for DUI or speeding in that chair.  Just kidding Sallie.Laugh

John, Grayfox and all others on the east coast, you are all in our thought as "Billy" approaches.

To brighten your day a little and something you can share with your little friends,  kids or Grandkids, I post for your enjoyment with a big thanks to our dear old friend "Walt"  who shared our love of trains and humor.   Big Smile Clown Smile,Wink, & Grin Smile

Paste the following link:into your browser:      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH7vb71oy_M&NR=1

You all have a great week-end,

Johnboy out for now...........................................

from Saskatchewan, in the Great White North.. 

We have met the enemy,  and he is us............ (Pogo)

• 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Friday, August 21, 2009 11:40 AM

last mountain & eastern hogger
Jeff, great job on the backdrops, maybe you need a cell tower or fire rangers tower to hide that small problem that happened.

That's not a bad idea as long as it's a photo of such item. The backdrop is right next to the track.

Joined June, 2004

Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises

• 2,370 posts
Posted by Paul W. Beverung on Friday, August 21, 2009 2:56 PM

Hi Gang: I'm Back! I hope that the puter problems are a thng of the past. We'll see. I'm going to make this short since I'm not sure that things are fixed.

Mary Ann and I are doing well. Our son and his wife had a bouncing baby boy yesterday. Nathanel John Beverung came at 7:44am. He weighed 8lbs 7oz making me the winner of the pool and was 20 1/2 inches long. He came out hollering so he has a good set of lungs for calling cattle.

With that I'll cut out and see you all later.

Paul The Duluth, Superior, & Southeastern " The Superior Route " WETSU
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Friday, August 21, 2009 4:23 PM

Page 50 folks. Time to pull up stakes and move again.

Joined June, 2004

Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises

• 676 posts
Posted by teen steam fan on Friday, August 21, 2009 7:10 PM

Congratulations Paul.

Hey Chloe, Can I get one of Petrica's strudels I've heard so much about?
Thanks

If you can read this... thank a teacher. If you are reading this in english... thank a veteran

When in doubt. grab a hammer. 

If it moves and isn't supposed to, get a hammer

If it doesn't move and is supposed to, get a hammer

If it's broken, get a hammer

If it can't be fixed with a hammer... DUCK TAPE!

• 2,822 posts
Posted by LSWrr on Friday, August 21, 2009 8:06 PM

Welcome back Paul, Congrats!

BM1 Lee Soule USCG (ret)

• 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Friday, August 21, 2009 8:06 PM

This thread is closed. Please use the newest Diner thread, Elliot's Diner XVII.

Joined June, 2004

Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises

• 3,876 posts
Posted by Packers#1 on Friday, August 21, 2009 8:21 PM

jeffrey-wimberly

This thread is closed. Please use the newest Diner thread, Elliot's Diner XVII.

here's a link to the new one:

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/t/158923.aspx

Sawyer Berry

Clemson University c/o 2018

Building a protolanced industrial park layout

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all