Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Modifications to STRATTON AND GILLETTE standard model caboose

216 views
2 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    January, 2017
  • From: Southern Florida Gulf Coast
  • 3,568 posts
Modifications to STRATTON AND GILLETTE standard model caboose
Posted by SeeYou190 on Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:33 AM

After the success I had in floor modification on the PENNSYLVANIA NDa brass caboose (see othe rthread), I decided to try and build a new floor for another "problem" caboose in the STRATTON AND GILLETTE fleet.

.

This is the "standard" style caboose in my fleet, It is a model of a GM&O prototype. These were imported by both Sunset and Hallmark. The models from both companies are identical. I have collected eight of these so far, which is all I need, but I would like two more.

.

.

This caboose model has several problems. The worst is the crossmembers inside the body that hold the floor in place. this system is very poorly designed and prone to breaking off. All the solder joints on all eight of my models are very poorly executed, including the joints for the floor corossmembers. Also, the trucks tend to hit the steps on curves and cause intermittend shorts through the caboose body.

.

My solution to the last problem has been to use Tichy plastic trucks with plastic wheels. I have not had a solution for the first two problems.

.

I took one apart, and got to work. This one is still unpainted, and both floor crossmembers were broken out of it already when I purchased it.

,

You can see all the poor solder work.

.

.

I built a new crossmember and floor support assembly from thick plastic strip.

.

 

.

Then I built a new floor piece from 0.040" styrene plastic sheet. The coupler box mounts were not part of the floor like they are on the NDa, so the floor was easy.

.

I test fitted a pair of trucks to e sure clearance was now acceptable.

.

I moved the truck bolsters towards the car center by only about 0.125" on each end, but it made clearance so much better.

.

 

.

I added details from a Tichy K Brake detail kit to the floor. All that was on the original floor was a brake cylinder, so this is a huge improvement for this model.

.

I did not add the brake rods because the links were so close to the trucks. I might add brake rods on future models.

.

  

.

The modified caboose looks much better, and will now be equipped with Kadee trucks and wheels with no fear of short circuits.

.

.

Success... now only seven (or maybe eight ot nine) more to go!

.

-Kevin

.

Happily modeling the STRATTON & GILLETTE RAILROAD located in a world of plausible nonsense set in August, 1954.

  • Member since
    July, 2006
  • From: Pittsburgh, PA
  • 1,723 posts
Posted by JoeinPA on Thursday, January 10, 2019 7:58 AM

Nicely done Kevin Thumbs Up. Now off to the paint shop Big Smile.

Joe

  • Member since
    January, 2017
  • From: Southern Florida Gulf Coast
  • 3,568 posts
Posted by SeeYou190 on Friday, January 11, 2019 6:20 AM

JoeinPA
Nicely done Kevin . Now off to the paint shop

.

Thank you Joe. I hope to start painting these cabooses very soon. Plans are dependent on too many outside effects.

.

-Kevin

.

Happily modeling the STRATTON & GILLETTE RAILROAD located in a world of plausible nonsense set in August, 1954.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all
Sign up for our FREE e-newsletter and get model railroad news in your inbox!