Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

BLI Hudson iratic performance

681 views
4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    March, 2011
  • 212 posts
BLI Hudson iratic performance
Posted by Tophias on Saturday, February 10, 2018 8:21 PM

I’ve been a forum member for about 4 years now.  I’ve asked many questions and received many very helpful, useful answers.  I have always been very appreciative for all your help.  So now I would like to make a contribution, trivial as it may be.  3 years ago I purchased a BLI Hudson which ran well at first.  But after about 6 months it started running iratically, and has done that ever since.  I cleaned all tender wheels, loco drivers, track, tender wipers, everything I could think of.  Even bent the wipers closer to the axles.  All the while, when it stalled, a very light touch of the tender brought it to life.  So I thought maybe the harness was not inserted fully and fiddled with that several times. No change.  So I kept thinking of the light pressure on the tender, and then the “light dawns on Marblehead”.  I took the tender body off and added about 1 1/2 - 2 ounces of weight, and voila, it now runs consistently.  So if anyone out there has a similar issue, try adding weight (I used those 1/4 ounce weights) to the tender.  I hope this might help at least one member with a similar issue.

  • Member since
    July, 2006
  • From: Pittsburgh, PA
  • 1,712 posts
Posted by JoeinPA on Saturday, February 10, 2018 8:34 PM

Tophias

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is sometimes these seemingly simple solutions that at first may not be obvious but can alleviate headaches.

Joe

  • Member since
    August, 2003
  • From: Collinwood, Ohio, USA
  • 5,953 posts
Posted by gmpullman on Saturday, February 10, 2018 10:30 PM

Thanks Tophias!

I have quite a few BLI steam locomotives in my roster and I will certainly look into added tender weight. In fact I recently lifted my B&O P-7 Pacific off the layout to do a traction tire replacement and the thought crossed my mind that the tender sure did feel light. I didn't make any changes to it though. I'll re-think that.

A couple of my PRR H10s have shown what you describe that they will freeze, then a light tap will get them moving again. 

I believe a tiny drop of CRC 2-26 or, better yet, D series Deoxit really helps with electrical contact at pins, wipers and sockets, too.

Thanks for your contribution,

Regards, Ed

  • Member since
    February, 2002
  • From: Mpls/St.Paul
  • 10,623 posts
Posted by wjstix on Sunday, February 11, 2018 12:51 AM

I had the "too light tender" problem on a Spectrum 4-8-2. I had to remove the large floor weight to create a space for a 1" speaker when adding a sound decoder. Without the weight, the engine kept losing track connection. Similar to your story, adding the 1/4" sq. lead weights wherever I could squeeze them in solved the issue.

Stix
  • Member since
    October, 2006
  • From: Western, MA
  • 7,736 posts
Posted by richg1998 on Sunday, February 11, 2018 8:47 AM

I have watched the Bachmann forums for some years and adding weight to the tender is a common solution.

Some years ago I coupled a Bachmann short USRA tender to a Mantua 0-6-0 and put wipers on all the wheels and had to add weight also.

Rich

N

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all
Sign up for our FREE e-newsletter and get model railroad news in your inbox!