For anyone experiencing problems with the Walthers transfer table, I have some advice to offer. I purchased one and added the extended pit. Had problems with repeatability and odd displays. Upon close inspection with a magnifying glass (my eyes aren't what they used to be), I discovered that plastic flash on the ends of the bridge were causing the bridge to hang up or stick when traversing the pit. I removed the bridge and dressed the ends slightly with a file. Upon re-installing the bridge, all the problems with finding the programmed settings were resolved. It now works quite well. Hope this is of some help to others.
Model Railroader magazine