I started construction of the Walthers Cornerstone Bascule Bridge today. It is not for the inexperienced or faint of heart. I am using every form of weight and bracing known to man - - - and then some.
The instructions are awful. Parts are mentioned by number in the text that do not appear on the instruction sheet diagrams. Parts are illustrated and numbered on the instruction sheet but are not mentioned in the text of the instructions. Some parts have duplicate numbers with other parts. LOL
I am not worried because I have done enough of the Walthers Cornerstone kits to fee comfortable. You just have to take it slow.
Like any bridge kit, there are several four sided parts, so to speak. For example, the girder sides have matching outside and inside frameworks that must be glued together for both the left side and the right side of the bridge, then joined together. So, I am painting parts as I go. For Instance, the inside piece of each pair is getting painted while I can still reach it with a brush, allowed to dry, then glued to its mate. I will paint the outside, top and bottom later.
There is also a little warpage on the track bed of all places but it too is fixable. The other issue is with the counterweight. It does not fit completely square, so I will use some epoxy to cover the gaps. With sanding and painting, it will not be noticeable.
Walthers says to add 5 ounces of weight inside the counterweight. Gee, thanks for including the 5 ounces of weight, not.
At some point, I will need to stop assembly and deal with the motor because that needs to be enclosed in the bridge house. Digital Griffin, if you are reading this, I sent you a PM (Conversation) on your electrical diagram).
I will post some photos as I get further into the assembly process.