LGB 2071D (Zilltertalbahn U-lokomotiv) -- Not Picking Up on All Wheels

1125 views
5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    February, 2013
  • 283 posts
LGB 2071D (Zilltertalbahn U-lokomotiv) -- Not Picking Up on All Wheels
Posted by PVT Kanaka on Saturday, November 26, 2016 12:40 AM

Aloha,

My Zilltertalbahn No. 2 (Model 2071D; our name for it is "Gustav.") stopped picking up power on all its wheels.  I discovered this issue after I thought I fixed a problem with the tabs on the motor being bent out of shape.  That would've been too easy...

At any rate, if you take an ohmmeter along the wheels on one side or the other, it shows connectivity only across certain wheels.  I polished the wheels...Nope.  Tonight, I disassembled the locomotive thinking that the common brass bus I presume serves to take power from the contact springs to the motor was corroded and / or bent.  Then I got stuck.  There seems to be no way to separate the chassis into a left and right side to get at it.

I did, however, note a few things as I broke "Gustav" down:

  1. The contact springs themselves are pretty corroded; one was even broken.
  2. The brass wells that hold the springs and presumable in turn contact an internal bus are pretty clean.
  3. Taking the ohmmeter across those brass wells showed the same mixed results as taking it across the wheels.  Again, this seems to point to an issue with something internal to the chassis.

In the event that history may help in troubleshooting, "Gustav" dates from the 1980-s, was used for about 5-6 years, then went into its original box until a few years ago where it saw some light, indoor service for a year or so before joining its old "colleagues" out here in Hawaii.  Until a few weeks ago, it had been one of our best pullers on the Triple O.

As ever, I appreciate any tips on how to proceed, even if proceeding may mean sending "Gustav" off to a professional repair facility.

With a belated wish for a Happy Thanksgiving,

Thanks and Aloha!

Eric

  • Member since
    February, 2013
  • 283 posts
Posted by PVT Kanaka on Saturday, November 26, 2016 1:33 AM
P.S. Before shutting down for the night, I took test leads attached to a spare throttle, jammed them into those brass wells, and I found the forward two turned the motor. The after two and the trailing truck, however, did nothing. Is it possible the forward wheels are for power and the latter for the lighting? In the meantime, everything is labeled, bagged, and placed safely out of reach.
  • Member since
    February, 2013
  • 283 posts
Posted by PVT Kanaka on Saturday, November 26, 2016 10:35 PM

Quick update...while ruminating upon this, i toccurred to me that the buses were, in fact, on the top of the motor and gear housing.  I will try to bend the tabs coming from the cabs a bit to make the contact better to see if that resolves one issue.  I will probably still have to order new contact shoes and springs.

 

- Eric

  • Member since
    February, 2013
  • 283 posts
Posted by PVT Kanaka on Sunday, November 27, 2016 6:21 PM

Bending those tabs down on the top of the housing made the diffence.  All 8 pick-up points now work.  I just have to source the springs...

- Eric

  • Member since
    February, 2013
  • 283 posts
Posted by PVT Kanaka on Friday, December 09, 2016 1:36 AM

Update...I opted to gently stretch the springs.  I replaced the wheels, tested each pair with the leads, and put the chassis on the test track.  Everything worked fine, so now, instead of sourcing springs, I'll be sourcing an opportunity to reassable Gustav. Some of the connecting rods will be challenging, I am afraid, but it'll happen.

Aloha,

Eric

  • Member since
    February, 2013
  • 283 posts
Posted by PVT Kanaka on Friday, December 16, 2016 12:53 AM

PAU (Finished!)!

Gustave made it back on the tracks tonight and did just fine.  Some rains made staying on the tracks a challenge, but he is picking up power on the level spots and doing OK.

Reassambly proved the value of CAREFULLY studying the diagrams, and I had to pull the gear box open one more time to align all the wheels so the connecting rods would actually connect.  Then i discovered I had some of the wheels in the wrong place, anyway.  Live and learn.

We'll get the level out this weekend, and Gustav will be heading the "Festzug" around the Triple O before we know it.

Thanks for the space here to let me track my progress.

Aloha,

Eric

SUBSCRIBER & MEMBER LOGIN

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Garden Railways newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month

Search the Community