American flyer track hookup

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    April, 2011
  • 7 posts
American flyer track hookup
Posted by littleant on Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:24 AM

Hi everone. What is needed to hookup a american flyer track to transformer. Is  it like the lionel? Can the lionel be used. Thank you

  • Member since
    March, 2010
  • From: Baltimore, MD
  • 389 posts
Posted by Major on Thursday, April 07, 2011 2:04 PM

Hi welcome to the forums,  But this question should have been on the Classic Toy Train Forum.  Since I am a Flyer nut I have your answer.  Flyer transformers hase normally three binding post labeled BASE, Variable and fixed.  The train is connected to the Base (common) and to the middle variable voltage post .  Most accessorys and lights are connected to the Base and fixed voltage posts.   If you are using another manufacturer's transformer than the connections are different.  The common (Base) for many Lionel transformers is labled "U" and there are multiple variable posts that you can connect to.  American Flyer trains operate between 7 to 15 volts and you should select a comparable binding post.  See you on the toy trains site!

  • Member since
    April, 2011
  • 7 posts
Posted by littleant on Thursday, April 07, 2011 2:14 PM

Thank you Major. I did not want to start out damaging the trains,

  • Member since
    September, 2004
  • From: Dearborn Station
  • 17,141 posts
Posted by richhotrain on Friday, April 08, 2011 6:34 AM

To hook up American Flyer track to the transformer, you need a track terminal.  Here is a link to one source and a photo of what the track terminal looks like:

The terminal clips onto the underside of the track across both rails.  Two wires connect to the end of the terminal.  One wire is connected from the terminal to the Base (Common) post on the transformer.  The other wire is connected from the terminal to the middle post on the transformer which is the variable voltage post.  Until you get more experienced with operating vintage American Flyer trains, it is best to stick with an American Flyer transformer.


Alton Junction

  • Member since
    April, 2011
  • 7 posts
Posted by littleant on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:41 PM

Thanks Rich. That is just what i was looking for. The pictures really helped me to know what i was looking for. Thank you

  • Member since
    December, 2001
  • From: Austin, TX
  • 9,687 posts
Posted by lionelsoni on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:50 PM

The terminal labeled "U" of traditional Lionel transformers is the common ("base" in Flyerese) for transformers with multiple variable outputs, but is the variable output for transformers with only one variable output.  For example, A or B of a 1033 may be used as the common, but U is the variable output.

Bob Nelson

  • Member since
    January, 2005
  • From: Lake Worth FL
  • 4,014 posts
Posted by phillyreading on Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:20 PM

The American Flyer track clips have a wider spacing than the regular Lionel track clips. You need either the American Flyer or the universal track clip that has two slots; one for the center rail on Lionel track to hook up to and the other one is needed for A.F. track.

American Flyer and Lionel both use A.C. transformers. Lionel transformers have more voltage output then American Flyer transformers do.

Lee F.

Interested in southest Pennsylvania railroads; Reading & Northern, Reading Company, Reading Lines, Philadelphia & Reading.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community


Get the Classic Toy Trains newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month