We'll start with the post-IRR "service" to Seymour IN.
The Indiana Railroad operated but did not own the line from Indianapolis to Seymour, Ind. that had been part of the Interstate Publc Service, laster Public Service of Indiana. The line had been built as the Indianapolis, Columbus and Southeastern, and leased to Interstate for 999 years. The underlying IC&SE was owned by several Columbus Ind. families. The cost of breaking the lease was considered to be prohibitive, so PSofI sought a way to get around doing so.
On the last day of IRR service to Seymour (Jan. 18, 1941), 16 round trips were operated. The Trustee of the IRR, Bowman Elder, arranged to leave "high-speeds" 77 and 78 for Seymour operation of one train a day by PSI to comply with the lease terms - this was not a "franchise run". Along with the passenger equipment, a line car was left. All equipment was to be housed at Columbus, more or less the midway point between Indianapolis and Seymour. One "train" a day was operated between the end of Indianapolis Railways' track in Indianapolis and the former IRR loop at Seymour, with the cars being changed out at Columbus as necessary. In a last minute quirk, car 77 went north to IRRs Anderson shops, replaced by car 65.
All went along without incident until Sept. 8, 1941, with occasional passengers carried. On that day the northbound car, #78, dewired and lost its pole between Seymour and Columbus. The operator changed out the pole for the spare one, but needed a new retriever. Since he had two young ladies riding to Indianapolis, he decided to continue, leaving the rope dangling, to Columbus where he could either fix it or swap cars. He called the Coulmbus barn on the IRR phone box so they would be ready when he got there.
The shop apparently messed up his message and assumed he was stuck. The line car was sent south, and the cars met head on on a curve not far from Columbus. Both cars were destroyed, the operator of #78 was killed, and one of the young ladies injured enough so she died a few days later.
PSofI made no attempt to resume service. The IC&SE owners were eventually paid the astonishing sum of $1.2 million to buy the property and terminate the lease. Car 65 was sold to the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, where it ran until the mid 1950s.
Does that cover it, Dave? The next installment will be on the Traction Terminal.