Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Intermountian ES44AC problem

10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 337 posts
Intermountian ES44AC problem
Posted by D&HRR on Saturday, December 25, 2010 7:37 AM

I got my first Intermountain HO scale DC version ES44AC yesterday and I have an issue with it already. When I run it forward it makes a grinding/wheel slipping noise and it will only pull a couple of cars on a level surface. In reverse it runs fine. In order to make this locomotive move I have to have it at nearly 3/4 throttle. I contacted the hobby store and they will exchange it but has anyone else had this issue? I must say I was disappointed because I thought these were comparable to Atlas and Kato with a super quiet smooth drive but at this time I am not very impressed. If I got a lemon than I can understand that but if the next one sounds like this then I guess it will be my last IMRC locomotive.

• 113 posts
Posted by cndash9 on Saturday, December 25, 2010 7:57 AM

Got my first one yesterday too, it was a little groggy at first but I've run it for 30-40 minutes now and it runs like a charm.

John

• 737 posts
Posted by da_kraut on Saturday, December 25, 2010 8:44 AM

D&HRR

I got my first Intermountain HO scale DC version ES44AC yesterday and I have an issue with it already. When I run it forward it makes a grinding/wheel slipping noise and it will only pull a couple of cars on a level surface. In reverse it runs fine. In order to make this locomotive move I have to have it at nearly 3/4 throttle. I contacted the hobby store and they will exchange it but has anyone else had this issue? I must say I was disappointed because I thought these were comparable to Atlas and Kato with a super quiet smooth drive but at this time I am not very impressed. If I got a lemon than I can understand that but if the next one sounds like this then I guess it will be my last IMRC locomotive.

Merry Christmas,

you might wish to read my post here http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/t/184157.aspx .  I hope this gives you some insight.  Also be careful when you remove the shell.  I broke all the stanchions that attach the cab and to the stairs behind the snow plow.  The plastic form the stanchions/rails/grab irons is really really brittle.  So when you take the locomotive apart be extremely careful.

Frank

"If you need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm."

• 337 posts
Posted by D&HRR on Saturday, December 25, 2010 9:52 AM

Frank,

Thanks for the link and that does solve some of the problems, now I dont know if I should send it back or try this method. Merry Christmas.

Jeff

• 737 posts
Posted by da_kraut on Saturday, December 25, 2010 11:35 AM

HI,

If I were you I would take it back and test run the next one you think of purchasing.  If it runs fine in both directions and the ditch lights work, then take it home.  If you run on DC, like I  do, then do the changes to the wiring, the downfall is that the locomotive is moving before the lights come on, but at least they speed match the Atlas and Kato engines which makes them great for long freights up my helix. Smile  Just be careful, the plastic is so very easy to break.  Also all four of my engines needed lubrication.  I could hear the rpm pick up from the motor as the lube worked itself into the gears.

Hope it helps

Frank

• 787 posts
Posted by SMassey on Saturday, December 25, 2010 1:25 PM

In my experience with electric motors, they will make that noise when the bearings are dry.  A little light oil designed for bushings would work great here.  Most hobby stores that sell R/C cars will have some.  THe sound happens from the armeture vibrating, when it does it is not able to produce the RPMs to power the engine properly.

Massey

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

• 1,905 posts
Posted by csxns on Saturday, December 25, 2010 6:25 PM

I got three of them and they run great but they start at half throttle,now let me know how to do the change to the wiring.Thanks.

Russell

• 737 posts
Posted by da_kraut on Saturday, December 25, 2010 7:21 PM

Hi,

in order to rewire the ES44AC, take off the shell.  On the PC board that sits on top of the motor and flywheels, there are at one end 3 plugs, which are wired with yellow and red wires each.  Remove the centre plug, this one feeds the motor.  The other two plugs receive the electricity from the both trucks and feed it into the PC board.  Cut the wires from the trucks that feed the pc board.  Now wire the motor leads into the wires from the trucks and also reconnect the wires to the plugs on the PC board.  This way the trucks feed the motor independantly of the PC board.  The only drawback is the the locomotive will be in motion before the lights come on.

Hope it helps, my HP scanner does not function,otherwise I would draw out a diagram for you.

Frank

• 941 posts
Posted by river_eagle on Sunday, December 26, 2010 3:39 AM

I would check for a couple of things;

1)  worm gear bushing not properly seated, if one is out that would cause the one way only binding.

2)  light / pickup wires are not wrapped / tangled around driveshaft, or flywheels, also motor properly seated.

3)  truck retainers properly seated.

Run loco with shell off , maybe you can see whats going on

When in doubt, rule #1 applies  Central Missouri Railroad Association cmrraclub.com
  • 382 posts
Posted by Heritagefleet1 on Monday, December 27, 2010 11:21 AM

D&HRR... Hope you had a great Christmas!

I have some experience with  this model, so first, are you operating on DC or DCC?

I have 4 of the KCS, 4 of the UP and 3 of the BNSF verisons and have had only one that had to be returned, for a cosmetic problem, and very good performance from all of them. They do seem a little tight on first start up but will break in nicely after a few minutes of running.

I recently did a review on these locomotives and will tell you now, that I do not recommend attempting to repair it yourself.

My advice is to contact your lHS and ask if you can exchange it.

If that is not possible, then I highly recommend that you contact Richard Frazier at Intermountain and he will advise  you on whether to return the model or make a suggestion on how to resolve the problem. (intermountain@intermountain.com) address you email to ATTN: Richard Frazier.

The reason I would caution you about attempting a repair or inspection yourself, is that there are a number of steps involved in removing the shell, and if utmost care is not exercised, you can do damage to the handrails(the material is of a plastic that has low resilience and may crack or break).

I know from personal experience that I would only remove the shell if absolutely necessary. it can easily be done, once you've done it a few times, but it has to be done a certain way to prevent damage to other parts.

Replacement parts are not available for these yet so if you break a part, it may be awhile before you can replace it.

I'm sure that your LHS would be glad to get you a replacement and IMRC does stand behind their products, so I would just recommend sending it back for exchange - you'll be a lot happier.

I hope you'll be able to resolve this to your satisfaction quickly, they are great locomotives and I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

HF1

• 337 posts
Posted by D&HRR on Monday, December 27, 2010 1:15 PM

Heritagefleet1

D&HRR... Hope you had a great Christmas!

I have some experience with  this model, so first, are you operating on DC or DCC?

I have 4 of the KCS, 4 of the UP and 3 of the BNSF verisons and have had only one that had to be returned, for a cosmetic problem, and very good performance from all of them. They do seem a little tight on first start up but will break in nicely after a few minutes of running.

I recently did a review on these locomotives and will tell you now, that I do not recommend attempting to repair it yourself.

My advice is to contact your lHS and ask if you can exchange it.

If that is not possible, then I highly recommend that you contact Richard Frazier at Intermountain and he will advise  you on whether to return the model or make a suggestion on how to resolve the problem. (intermountain@intermountain.com) address you email to ATTN: Richard Frazier.

The reason I would caution you about attempting a repair or inspection yourself, is that there are a number of steps involved in removing the shell, and if utmost care is not exercised, you can do damage to the handrails(the material is of a plastic that has low resilience and may crack or break).

I know from personal experience that I would only remove the shell if absolutely necessary. it can easily be done, once you've done it a few times, but it has to be done a certain way to prevent damage to other parts.

Replacement parts are not available for these yet so if you break a part, it may be awhile before you can replace it.

I'm sure that your LHS would be glad to get you a replacement and IMRC does stand behind their products, so I would just recommend sending it back for exchange - you'll be a lot happier.

I hope you'll be able to resolve this to your satisfaction quickly, they are great locomotives and I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

HF1

Thanks for the info, I sent it out today for an exchange. I dont think I would attempt to take it apart my self with it being such a new model. They said that when they get the one from me they will send me a new one.

Jeff B

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all