Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

How to speed match Intermountains ES44AC with Kato and Atlas locomotives in DC

8 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 737 posts
How to speed match Intermountains ES44AC with Kato and Atlas locomotives in DC
Posted by da_kraut on Saturday, December 18, 2010 11:56 PM

Hello everybody,

I picked up some Intermountain ES44AC's in CP colours today.  When I had them home the packaging reminded me of that from Atlas.  So proceeded to put them on the track and let them have a couple of laps around the layout for breaking them in.  

Next I put on the track a Kato and a Atlas locomotive along with the Intermountain and they ran away from the Intermountain loco.  The throttle has to be turned half way before the ES44AC would even move.  This is not good for having MU freights.  So took the Intermountain locomotive apart,  the circuit board is from Soundtraxx, the rest of the locomotive looks like a cross between a Kato and Atlas.

Just as an experiment I took the motor leads and wired them directly to the leads from the axles.  Now with the motor bypassing the circuit board the locomotive is a perfect speed match for my Kato's and Atlas engines.  The speed is so closely matched that I am willing to use them as pushers up the helix with the Kato AC units, and this is in DC.  So for anyone in DC this might be a viable solution to get these engines to speed match.  Hope it helps.Smile

frank

"If you need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm."

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Sunday, December 19, 2010 12:14 AM

ANY loco that has sound and runs on DC will be like this. Otherwise the loco would be goign half speed before the sounds even turned on. Nothing you can do about it, other than remove the sound or go to DCC.

I hope you DISCONNECTED the motor wires from the Soundtraxx decoder and connected them to the track pickups and not just jumpered around them, or move the track pikcups to th motor terminals. If the track power is in any way getting to the motor outputs of the decoder, it's fried.

--Randy

Modeling the Reading Railroad in the 1950's

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 737 posts
Posted by da_kraut on Sunday, December 19, 2010 12:19 AM

Hi,

thank you for your input Randy.  I forgot to mention that my locomotives are the non sound versions.  As for your suggestion, yes the motor wires from the Soundtraxx circuit board are disconnected and the motor leads are now directly connected to the pick up leads which also still feed the circuit board

Frank

• 26 posts
Posted by Tonatiuh on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:07 PM

And.. what about the headlights and ditch lights??

These lights need to be rewired too?? or won`t turn on anymore after rewiring??

Saludos

Esteban Tonatiuh

• 737 posts
Posted by da_kraut on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:20 PM

Tonatiuh

And.. what about the headlights and ditch lights??

These lights need to be rewired too?? or won`t turn on anymore after rewiring??

Saludos

Esteban Tonatiuh

The head lights and ditch lights will not come on until the loco is moving.  If you like for them to come on sooner you would have to rewire that as well.   If you get in touch with Intermountain, they have a special wiring harness now which solves the speed issue, not sure about the lights and as to when they come on.  Give them a call, they are very helpful.

Frank

• 26 posts
Posted by Tonatiuh on Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:40 AM

The head lights and ditch lights will not come on until the loco is moving.  If you like for them to come on sooner you would have to rewire that as well.   If you get in touch with Intermountain, they have a special wiring harness now which solves the speed issue, not sure about the lights and as to when they come on.  Give them a call, they are very helpful.

Frank

Frank:
 I already got the DC Harness and i Installed on my GEVO but when i tested it  the lights tries to turn ON (low intensity blinking) but never goes shiny!!!  in a few word the lights never goes ON properly, Intermountain perssonel said me that it must  turn on the lights if the PC boards remains conected, with DC harness this one is already installed and connected but the lights never turn on,
Whats your opinion about this issue??, and Do you know the operatin voltage of LEDs of headlights and dicth lights?? Can I connect directly to DC this lights??
Intermountain Custmer service are so polite and nice but they so slow on replies to inquiries that i have, then i request your help and comments about it (of course i need the Forum Help)
Saludos
Tonatiuh
  • 737 posts
Posted by da_kraut on Friday, November 11, 2011 10:27 PM

Frank:
 I already got the DC Harness and i Installed on my GEVO but when i tested it  the lights tries to turn ON (low intensity blinking) but never goes shiny!!!  in a few word the lights never goes ON properly, Intermountain perssonel said me that it must  turn on the lights if the PC boards remains conected, with DC harness this one is already installed and connected but the lights never turn on,
Whats your opinion about this issue??, and Do you know the operatin voltage of LEDs of headlights and dicth lights?? Can I connect directly to DC this lights??
Intermountain Custmer service are so polite and nice but they so slow on replies to inquiries that i have, then i request your help and comments about it (of course i need the Forum Help)
Saludos
Tonatiuh

[/quote]

Hi Tonatiuh,

The engines that I rewired will move before the lights come on.  Unfortunately that is a price that I have to put up with if I want these locomotives the rest of my fleet.   I am not aware what the harness from Intermountain looks like or how it interconnects the motor and the PC board.  Basically you need power to both the motor and the PC board, BUT this PC board is the same type of board they use for the sound locomotives.  That is why the starting voltage is so high for these locomotives, and the lights are coordinated with the motor so that the lights turn on first.  When you rewire this there is no more coordination between the motor and the lights which is why the engine moves before the lights come on.  The Kato and Atlas PC boards are different, these boards in the non sound  locomotives are meant to coordinate the motor with the lights.

I would not connect the LED's directly to the DC.  LED's are meant to operate in a voltage range from 1.8V to 3.3V, if connected directly to DC they would burn out.  If you wish to make the lights brighter, then you have to go to this web site http://www.railfanreading.com/Layout/Prototype/CP8705/CP8705.htm .  In it the person explains what resistors to cut and make the lights brighter, what happened the PC board is a bad design and they doubled up the the resistance for the leds.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions, please ask.

Frank

• 26 posts
Posted by Tonatiuh on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:12 PM

Hi Tonatiuh,

The engines that I rewired will move before the lights come on.  Unfortunately that is a price that I have to put up with if I want these locomotives the rest of my fleet.   I am not aware what the harness from Intermountain looks like or how it interconnects the motor and the PC board.  Basically you need power to both the motor and the PC board, BUT this PC board is the same type of board they use for the sound locomotives.  That is why the starting voltage is so high for these locomotives, and the lights are coordinated with the motor so that the lights turn on first.  When you rewire this there is no more coordination between the motor and the lights which is why the engine moves before the lights come on.  The Kato and Atlas PC boards are different, these boards in the non sound  locomotives are meant to coordinate the motor with the lights.

I would not connect the LED's directly to the DC.  LED's are meant to operate in a voltage range from 1.8V to 3.3V, if connected directly to DC they would burn out.  If you wish to make the lights brighter, then you have to go to this web site http://www.railfanreading.com/Layout/Prototype/CP8705/CP8705.htm .  In it the person explains what resistors to cut and make the lights brighter, what happened the PC board is a bad design and they doubled up the the resistance for the leds.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions, please ask.

Frank

Frank:

Finally the lights turn on!!!, the problem was when a friend of mine reprogram the decoder for change the address for DCC , the  programing they affected the CV of Dual function of decoder, I tried   resetting  it ( of course momntary i remove the harness and connect for dcc) and  again i install the harness and the Lights operates with normal shiny!!!.

Maybe in a near future i will follow the instructions to intensify the dicth lights of engine on site that you send

Saludos

Toantiuh

• 737 posts
Posted by da_kraut on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:03 PM

Hi,

thank you for your reply.  I am glad to hear that it all worked out for you.  You brought up an interesting item, by re-programming the decoder to turn on the lights. 

Thank you

Frank

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all