Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Can´t Upload My Avatar

96 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 305,205 posts
Can´t Upload My Avatar
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:10 PM

I wanted to change my avatar. Although it is the correct size, the system will not show it.

Help?

• 23,321 posts
Posted by selector on Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:55 AM

I think the server is a wee bit glitchy tonight.  Glitchy is not what I really mean...what I want to say rhymes with glitchy.

Normally, if the avatar is of the acceptable format and file size, it should be straightforward, Ulrich.  So, perhaps you will have better luck in the morning when the grownups are watching.

Crandell

• 2,508 posts
Posted by dti406 on Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:18 AM

I accidently deleted my avatar and could not upload a replacement ( the same one I had before from the same location).

Rick

Rule 1: This is my railroad.

Rule 2: I make the rules.

Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome, but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

• 247 posts
Posted by cmurray on Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:54 AM

I have experienced the same problem. After following all the steps, I get a note saying I have a new avatar but...nothing.

I've tried several times over several weeks with no success. 

Maybe the new forum format doesn't like Macs.

Colin ---------- There's just no end to cabooseless trains.

My PhotoBucket album: http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/CN4008/

My RailImages album: http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/4049

My web site: http://www.cmgraphics.ca

• 2,508 posts
Posted by dti406 on Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:20 AM

Bump, still does not work nor does the help button in my profile page.

Rick

Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome, but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:04 AM

Yup, still not working. Tried a couple of times, but no result. Makes me feel "face-less".

• 23,321 posts
Posted by selector on Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:56 AM

I have alerted Craig and Wade to this problem.  They won't get to it until perhaps late Monday at the earliest.

Crandell

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:00 PM

Thank you, Crandell!

• 3,050 posts
Posted by jwhitten on Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:34 PM

selector

I think the server is a wee bit glitchy tonight.  Glitchy is not what I really mean...what I want to say rhymes with glitchy.

Twitchy ???

John

Modeling the South Pennsylvania Railroad ("The Hilltop Route") in the late 50's
  • 23,321 posts
Posted by selector on Saturday, November 20, 2010 3:44 PM

You still have one more guess.

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, November 20, 2010 6:53 PM

You guys really got me there - it took me a while to get the pun!

• 3,050 posts
Posted by jwhitten on Saturday, November 20, 2010 7:56 PM

selector

You still have one more guess.

If I get it right, are you gonna lock the thread... ??? :-)

John

• 23,321 posts
Posted by selector on Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:15 PM

You know it.

Crandell

• 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:26 PM

I had this problem before the forum upgrades. After the changes, I had no problem at all.

My Model Railroad: Tri State Rail
My Photos on Flickr: Flickr
My Videos on Youtube: Youtube
My Photos on RRPA: RR Picture Archives

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:47 PM

I still haven't had any serious problems with the forums, before OR after the upgrades. Just the slowness in the late evenings which has sinc ebeen fixed and I assume was an overagressive maintence plan running on the database and slowing it all down.

I've never had issues with logging in, it always rememebrs me - about once every 60 days or so I get the "you need to log in" message and it rememebrs me again for the next 60 days or so - which I suspect is the cookie duration. If you have problems with thigns like this, you are probably locking down your browser too much, or have some third party blockign software in place that does not whitelist this site. Simplest thing might be to add cs.trains.com to the whitelist of your web filter/malware detector software if there is some that runs real time always scanning, and maybe even add it to trusted sites in your browser's security settings.

--Randy

Modeling the Reading Railroad in the 1950's

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 2,508 posts
Posted by dti406 on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:13 PM

Bump, still not working!!!!!!!!!Thumbs Down

• 283 posts
Posted by rockislandnut on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:43 PM

Took a chance and changed mine and it worked, but forum doesn't seem to like an animated gif image, so I settle for a Jpeg. Smile

Wadda ya mean I'm old ? Just because I remember gasoline at 9 cents a gallon and those big coal burning steamers.

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:34 PM

Just tried it - does not work Sad

• 3,050 posts
Posted by jwhitten on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:32 PM

>>People in Hamburg don´t tan, they rust!

Not sure what to say about a system that doesn't like Hamburgers....

Laugh

John

• 86 posts
Posted by Vernon/IN on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:44 PM

Ulrich,

I just changed my avatar to the file you sent me.  I see it, do you?

Let me know if you see it.

Vernon

Vernon in Central Indiana

• 23,321 posts
Posted by selector on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:03 PM

I sent an email to Wade asking if he would consider taking a look at this thread and the other and perhaps joining the discussion to see if he can pinpoint the problem.  He did not respond to the observation I posted in the RA forum several days back, so perhaps an email will get his attention if he hasn't been back to the trains forums.

Crandell

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, November 25, 2010 12:36 AM

Vernon,

yes, I see it! No idea, why I can´t upload it.

• 24,014 posts
Posted by richhotrain on Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:19 AM

Vernon/IN

Ulrich,

I just changed my avatar to the file you sent me.  I see it, do you?

Let me know if you see it.

Vernon

Before the recent changeover (or makeover) of the Trains Forum, I had significant problems with uploading my avatar to change me from a faceless shadow.  Once I finally solved my problem, I posted a detailed explanation of the process necessary to upload an avatar, step by step.  However, I have no idea if those step by step instructions are still valid under the updated format.

After I posted those step by step instructions, several people "emailed" me to ask for additional help and in each case we succeeded in finally uploading an avatar.

Now, we have a situation in which Vernon/IN has a copy of the avatar file for Sir Madog and has successfully uploaded it.  Sir Madog sees the avatar but still continue upload it successfully.  It seems to me that the solution is at hand.  Vernon/IN either needs to provide explicit step by step instructions to Sir Madog or else post those step by step instructions on this thread. 

Sir Madog won't like to hear this but, in my experience, it is likely that he is doing something wrong or, putting it more discretely, not doing something right.

I say this because it has happened before, and I suspect it is happening here.  The process to upload an avatar is complicated and arduous and, quite frankly, neither intuitive nor user friendly.  I shudder to think that I might ever feel compelled to change my avatar in the future.  It wasn't easy before, so it probably wouldn't be easy the next time around either.

Good luck, Sir Madog, and, Vernon/IN, do what you can to post or email some step by step instructions for Sir Madog's benefit as to how you successfully uploaded his avatar.

Rich

Alton Junction

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:42 AM

Rich,

here is what I do:

I click on the button "Change Avatar" and then click on the button "Browse" in the new window. I select my file from my hard-disk and click on the button "Use uploaded avatar". For whatever reason, the upload is not performed. I am using Firefox, but also tried this in IE, but no result.

Yes, I feel faceless!

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:42 AM

Sir Madog

I click on the button "Change Avatar" and then click on the button "Browse" in the new window. I select my file from my hard-disk and click on the button "Use uploaded avatar". For whatever reason, the upload is not performed. I am using Firefox, but also tried this in IE, but no result.

Have you tried uploading your photo to a hosting site and loading it from there?

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• 86 posts
Posted by Vernon/IN on Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:31 AM

Ulrich,

I suspect that it has something to do with your avatar.  I tried to change back to the avatar I had been using, but now it will not display nor will yours.

If I sellect one of the default avatars provided with the forum software, it displays fine.  But any that I upload now will not display.

Before I tried yours, I tried several of my own and they worked.  Now none of them display.

At least we have another piece of the puzzle.  Hopefully, the MR IT department will be able to figure it out.

Cheers

Vernon in Central Indiana

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:05 AM

Vernon,

I tried various avatars, all not greater than 100 by 100 pixels, but none of them work.

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:36 AM

So once using Ulrich's avatar, now you cannot upload any? That sounds very fishy - especially if things worked fine before trying to test with Ulrich's file.  It IS possible for jpg files to carry malware - try running a scan. Malwarebytes is my current favorite free one.

--Randy

Modeling the Reading Railroad in the 1950's

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 24,014 posts
Posted by richhotrain on Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:36 AM

Vernon/IN

Ulrich,

I suspect that it has something to do with your avatar.  I tried to change back to the avatar I had been using, but now it will not display nor will yours.

If I sellect one of the default avatars provided with the forum software, it displays fine.  But any that I upload now will not display.

Before I tried yours, I tried several of my own and they worked.  Now none of them display.

At least we have another piece of the puzzle.  Hopefully, the MR IT department will be able to figure it out.

Cheers

Oh, now that is weird.  I wonder if Sir Madog can at least upload one of the default avatars?

Meanwhile, Vernon/IN, I wonder if you need to somehow clear or refresh the cache on your side to get rid of the faulty avatar.  I am not saying this would work, but at least try this.  At the top of Internet Explorer, click on Tools, the Delete Browsing History, then Close and OK to complete the cache clearing process.  Then see if you can upload your original avatar.

Rich

Alton Junction

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:38 AM

Rich,

I can´t even upload the default avatars.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all