Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Dave Vollmer's Layout Expansion

40 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 3,672 posts
Dave Vollmer's Layout Expansion
Posted by R. T. POTEET on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:07 PM

Dave, I encountered your posting on your layout expansion project over on idiotbored.com--I don't get over there very often but I did happen to wander in this morning. Per usual your modeling--as well as your photography--is worthy of singular recognitiion. I certainly hope to see more photos of this expansion. Your posted photograph of the two diesels on the curve approaching the yard throat is worthy of note--excellent composition.

Based upon something you said some time back about the lack of a yard on your layout I suspected that once you got settled in at Offutt that that would be upcoming. You have done an excellent job. I do, however, raise a question: your original lap layout was built on a 36" X 80" door I believe but I got the perception that this expansion utilizes a narrower door. Am I correct in this or does it also use a 36" wide door?

A second question involves the possibility of another expansion. I had an acquaintance who modeled a steam era pike that was operated as a point-to-point layout but there was a lap operation in the center to add mileage to his train run. Is there perhaps another expansion in your future?

Keep up your modeling endeavors and thank you for your continuing service to our country,

Selector, I know that this is a flagrent political statement and it is, undoubtedly, going to attract a "Report Abuse" button from the same individual who raised objections to my Nancy Pelosi "domestic terrorism" quotation of a few months back. I'm a little surprised that that same individual has not taken exception with the Political Correctness satire and the Sarah Palin quotation in my signature.   . 

From the far, far reaches of the wild, wild west I am: rtpoteet

• 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Friday, February 26, 2010 10:16 PM

RT,

Sorry I missed this... I happen by here about once a week. My Enola Yard extension uses a 24"-wide door.

Modeling the Rio Grande Southern First District circa 1938-1946 in HOn3.

• 10,392 posts
Posted by blownout cylinder on Friday, February 26, 2010 10:21 PM

Dave---that is a wonderful yard.Bow

It's amazing what one can do with N scale---heeheeheeBig Smile

Any argument carried far enough will end up in Semantics--Hartz's law of rhetoric Emerald. Leemer and Southern The route of the Sceptre Express Barry

I just started my blog site...more stuff to come...

http://modeltrainswithmusic.blogspot.ca/

• 1,280 posts
Posted by RedGrey62 on Friday, February 26, 2010 10:42 PM

What Dave didn't say is that he got a new toy, an upgraded airbrush!  Not only is his layout extremely nice but now he's getting the rolling stock nice and weathered.

Ricky

"...Mother Nature will always punish the incompetent and uninformed." Bill Barney from Thor's Legions
  • 2,173 posts
Posted by Driline on Friday, February 26, 2010 10:43 PM

R. T. POTEET
Dave, I encountered your posting on your layout expansion project over on idiotbored.com

Which begs the question, why someone of your intellectual caliber would be perusing a website entitled "idotbored.com ". Smile

Modeling the Davenport Rock Island & Northwestern 1995 in HO
  • 1,055 posts
Posted by PA&ERR on Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:52 AM

Excellent work, as always, Dave!Thumbs Up

-George

"And the sons of Pullman porters and the sons of engineers ride their father's magic carpet made of steel..."

• 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:08 AM

This was my first use of Atlas code 55 track in N scale, and it's fantastic. I'm thrilled both with how it works and how it looks. Since Atlas' curved code 55 turnouts have been delayed, I used Fast Tracks for the curved turnouts. The standard turnouts are Atlas #5s and #7s.

Here's one of those ESM PRR/PC/CR G26 gons on the new layout:

The Enola diesel shop is a pair of Walthers car shops spliced together. I trimmed off some cornice detail and added a flat scratchbuilt roof.

The interior of the shop received Heljan walkways and inspection pits.

• 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:17 PM

Okay, guys, Enola update time.

First off, I HAVEN'T set up a photo backdrop yet, so... That's that. Also, there are any number of people, telephone poles, diesel fuel racks, pump houses, sheds, sanding towers, etc. that have not yet been installed. What you see here is the roughed-in scenery.

These are the power toggles to the pit and engine house sheds. This way I can store dead or DC locos with no problems.

Looking down the classification tracks under the Overview Bridge.

The concrete pads surrounding the pit tracks will have the fueling/sanding racks.

There are fuel tanks on the northeastern side of the diesel house just like the real Enola.

I need to glue down the yard office.

• 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:19 PM

The view from Overview Bridge. I know, the real Overview Bridge is north of the diesel house. This is a concession to space.

I like the way the diesel house works as a backdrop. This area will soon be cluttered with fueling/sanding equipment.

• 802 posts
Posted by rjake4454 on Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:33 PM

Ah man, Dave Vollmer's stuff is the best. Thanks for posting. I wish I could make a yard like that..Cool

• 2,916 posts
Posted by wm3798 on Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:36 PM

Oooh Dave!  It's PERFECT!  I've never seen such a beautiful piece of work!  It's soo REAL!  Man, you know they take points off for posting prototype pictures and saying they're models... Is that really N SCALE?  MAN!

Big Smile 

Route of the Alpha Jets  www.wmrywesternlines.net

• 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:38 PM
wm3798

Oooh Dave!  It's PERFECT!  I've never seen such a beautiful piece of work!  It's soo REAL!  Man, you know they take points off for posting prototype pictures and saying they're models... Is that really N SCALE?  MAN!

Big Smile 

Lee, wipe your lips... Big Smile

• 1,280 posts
Posted by RedGrey62 on Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:58 PM

Dave Vollmer

Okay, guys, Enola update time.

First off, I HAVEN'T set up a photo backdrop yet, so... That's that. Also, there are any number of people, telephone poles, diesel fuel racks, pump houses, sheds, sanding towers, etc. that have not yet been installed. What you see here is the roughed-in scenery.

Yeah, right Dave, it looks really "roughed-in" to me!

Great work as always, can't wait to see it at the April show.

Ricky

"...Mother Nature will always punish the incompetent and uninformed." Bill Barney from Thor's Legions
  • 1,326 posts
Posted by BerkshireSteam on Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:24 PM
Nice job Dave. I my neighbor wants to buy a sub I have for a few bills and if he does I plan to buy a hollow core door and get something going in N. I'm thinking of doing a close version to the Katy layout featured in MRP (Dallas On A Door, 30x80 door). Your Enola yard pics are making me ponder buying a second hollow core door for a yard. Of course, if I could I would just snatch up your layout, but I don't forsee that happening. As to comments made about pollitical correctness, forget it. It just makes you sound like a political snob. I may have voted for presidencey this term, but only because I was NOT about to let McCain win if I could help it. Hows that for stirring a political uprising.
  • 1,315 posts
Posted by shayfan84325 on Monday, March 22, 2010 12:11 AM

I'll toss in my own thumbs-up.  All of your work, new and old, is inspiring.

I worked in N scale long before there was code 55 track, so I laid my own with code 55 rail.  It makes a huge difference in the look of N scale.  You do great work, Dave.  I always look forward to seeing your smiling face next to a post, because I know I can count on wise words and great pictures.

Phil,
I'm not a rocket scientist; they are my students.

• 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Monday, March 22, 2010 6:27 AM

Looking forward to your next up date David. Are you plaining a video?

Ken

I hate Rust

• 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Monday, March 22, 2010 7:30 AM
Thanks, Ken... One day I'll do a video. Re-do, actually. It's time to update my current one. It would be either half Pennsy or half Conrail, or I'd do one for each era/railroad.

• 1,055 posts
Posted by PA&ERR on Monday, March 22, 2010 10:32 AM

Dave Vollmer
Thanks, Ken... One day I'll do a video. Re-do, actually. It's time to update my current one. It would be either half Pennsy or half Conrail, or I'd do one for each era/railroad.

When you do, might I suggest you consider using this song for your sound track?Thumbs Up

Every time I hear it I can't help but think of a mighty J1 clawing its way up Horseshoe Curve with a long, heavy freight and a couple of snappers on the back!

-George

"And the sons of Pullman porters and the sons of engineers ride their father's magic carpet made of steel..."

• 1,177 posts
Posted by TheK4Kid on Monday, March 22, 2010 12:24 PM

Great job Dave,
From another PRR fan.
TheK4Kid

• 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Monday, March 22, 2010 7:12 PM
PA&ERR

Dave Vollmer

When you do, might I suggest you consider using this song for your sound track?Thumbs Up

Every time I hear it I can't help but think of a mighty J1 clawing its way up Horseshoe Curve with a long, heavy freight and a couple of snappers on the back!

-George

George,

I appreciate the suggestion. However, O Furtuna, for all of its musical power, as become a tad cliche. Cliche I am not. It occurred to me to use this piece of movie soundtrack music for the next iteration of my layout video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O0dFH3ysSY&feature=related

And maybe a little:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqXjr46CZVw&feature=related

• 309 posts
Posted by salt water cowboy on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:47 AM

Super job Dave! As I live fairly close to the Enola yards I would say you are really nailing it!

Matt

• 1,055 posts
Posted by PA&ERR on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:11 AM

Dave Vollmer
PA&ERR

Dave Vollmer

-George

George,

I appreciate the suggestion. However, O Furtuna, for all of its musical power, as become a tad cliche. Cliche I am not. It occurred to me to use this piece of movie soundtrack music for the next iteration of my layout video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O0dFH3ysSY&feature=related

And maybe a little:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqXjr46CZVw&feature=related

A tad, um, dark, for my tastes, but hey its your video. It will be interesting to see what you can do with it.

-George

• 1,358 posts
Posted by secondhandmodeler on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:58 PM

Dave, I thought this was your kind of music!Smile  It still makes me smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HrSN7176XI

Corey
  • 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:07 PM

Well played, Corey...!

George, I was half-kidding on using that music (although it might actually work). I've actually thought about doing something with period music (1956 for Pennsy and something really 1980 for Conrail).

Nah, no video anytime soon. My website hasn't been overhauled in over a year. That's priority 2 behind finishing Enola.

• 273 posts
Posted by csmincemoyer on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:13 PM

Dave,

Are you doing any ops yet with the Enola extension?  I had the pleasue when you where in NC to "play" on your layout and it was quite enjoyable for the size.  Curious how more staging has enhanced things.

Chris

• 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:19 PM

What can I say but Sing, Sing, Sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FF7MDZ5T1Y&NR=1

I hate Rust

• 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:32 PM
csmincemoyer

Dave,

Are you doing any ops yet with the Enola extension?  I had the pleasue when you where in NC to "play" on your layout and it was quite enjoyable for the size.  Curious how more staging has enhanced things.

Chris

I've used it for staging, but as I've only recently finished installing all of the ground throws and wiring, I've not yet broken down or made up trains in the yard. One of these days it'll get a good electrical and mechanical shakedown, and then the ops will begin!

• 1,468 posts
Posted by Graffen on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:33 PM

Well I can understand that the soundtrack from Unbreakable isn´t the obvious choice, neither is this, but Jeeez what a nice soundtrack it is:

Listen.

Swedish Custom painter and model maker. My Website:

My Railroad

My Youtube:

Graff´s channel

• 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:45 PM

Nothing says model rail Roading like Brandenburgishes Konzert Nr. 2 F-dur!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIiIIpjVInI

Just ask Twhite. Makes me want to ballast some track!

My wife is going to me PO, she hates Long Hair Music!Big Smile

Bach is the Man, Ken

I hate Rust

• 2,742 posts
Posted by Dave Vollmer on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:59 PM
Graffen

Well I can understand that the soundtrack from Unbreakable isn´t the obvious choice, neither is this, but Jeeez what a nice soundtrack it is:

Listen.

The reason I jokingly suggested Unbreakable is because the scene that music is from has Bruce Willis walking through PRR's former Philadelphia 30th Street Station's main concourse.

There are other scenes in the movie around Franklin Stadium where the PRR's elevated freight bypass around 30th Street Station/Penn Coach Yards is visible.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all