Any Photos or Locations for Two Lines Using One Bridge?

3 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    September 2021
  • 3 posts
Any Photos or Locations for Two Lines Using One Bridge?
Posted by RichLikesTrains26 on Thursday, October 21, 2021 7:34 PM

Years ago I recall seeing an article somewhere (perhaps in TRAINS) that showed two rail lines, from different railroads, merging in order to fit over a bridge that wasn't quite wide enough for two -- there were no switches involved, just a cross over so one of the rails for the first line was within the footprint of the second line. Anyone know of any remaining prototype examples of this? Can you direct me as to where I can see photos or examples? Thanks much!

Tags: Bridges
  • Member since
    June 2009
  • From: Dallas, TX
  • 5,643 posts
Posted by CMStPnP on Friday, October 22, 2021 10:11 AM

I think that is called ganlet rail and I have never heard of it for two railroads usually it is the same railroad using a single track bridge on approach with double track.    Last I heard of it's use was with the South Shore Line  crash on one of it's bridges that used it, I think since that time SS line replaced the bridge with double track.

 It's also used for passenger stations when they want through traffic to clear the platform more than traffic stopping at the station where they want the passenger train close to the platform for boarding.


  • Member since
    December 2001
  • From: Northern New York
  • 22,723 posts
Posted by tree68 on Friday, October 22, 2021 10:29 AM

There was a thread on this not long ago.  

Such arrangements are known as gantlet, or gauntlet, tracks.  Both terms are acceptable.


Resident Microferroequinologist (at least at my house) 
Everyone goes home; Safety begins with you
My Opinion. Standard Disclaimers Apply. No Expiration Date
Come ride the rails with me!
There's one thing about humility - the moment you think you've got it, you've lost it...

  • Member since
    February 2005
  • 2,043 posts
Posted by timz on Friday, October 22, 2021 1:57 PM

I'm guessing gantlet is the actual correct term, but people have always said gauntlet and it's mostly taken over.

Lots of bridges had gantlet tracks, but offhand I don't think of a bridge with a gantlet for two RRs.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy