Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Fixing flexi track with adhesive

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 552 posts
Fixing flexi track with adhesive
Posted by bsteel4065 on Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:39 PM

Hi

I'm still building the framework for my new double decker layout and I will soon be cutting up and laying out the 3/4 ply. OK..... it's HO, it's DCC and I'm using Peco code 83 flexitrack, here are the questions .......

1. I don't intend spiking down the track I intend to glue down the track (code 83 Peco flexi, #6 and #8 switches). What silicon / adhesive / glue is the recomended way to go?

2. What is the best routine to follow? (Roller down the adhesive? / Hire an elephant to sit on the track until it's stuck, etc??)

3. Do I solder my joints or not?

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers

Barry Cool [8D]   

• 1,630 posts
Posted by mikesmowers on Saturday, October 28, 2006 3:02 PM
   The way I laid my Atlas track was to use white glue and temporarly tack the track to the cork roadbed and used bricks to hold it in place until the track was dry.  I tried the white caulk method and needed to reposition some of the track and destroyed the track trying to get it up, I think I used to mugh caulk.
     I did solder all of my track joints together as well as installing feeder wires about 3 foot.    
                   Hope this info will help, others will surely have different opinions.      Mike

Modeling Trains Is Not A Matter Of Life Or Death, It Is Much More Important Than That!!
  • 380 posts
Posted by Gary UK on Saturday, October 28, 2006 3:15 PM

I was thinking of using 'copydex', the white stuff that smells like fish until its dry. Is this the glue thats also known as latex caulk??? Anyone?

Be aware that if your layout room has wildly varying temperatures that you *may* have problems with buckling and mis alignments in the summer. My first layout used all flexi with all the joints soldered up tight. I discovered a few problems one hot day a few years back and had to cut some gaps in the rail. I personaly wont be soldering up all the joints on my new layout but i will be using droppers every few feet so as not to rely on the joiners alone.

Ofcourse if your room is more stable in the temperature department like hopefully mine is now, its not such a big deal.

• 13,757 posts
Posted by cacole on Saturday, October 28, 2006 3:29 PM
I used Latex Adhesive Caulk that can be purchased from any home supply store, Wal-mart, etc.  Spread a very thin coating, put the track in place, and weight down for 12 hours or so.  I used split pavers, which are the same size but only half as thick as a normal brick, as weights.
  • 4,393 posts
Posted by ARTHILL on Saturday, October 28, 2006 3:57 PM

Glue?  CHEAP, Latex(not silicon) caulk(I like clear)

Put a little on with a putty knife or a flat stick.

Weight it down or put a spike in the center of the ties (Atlas has holes.)

I solder joints on curves (Solder before bending) I am learning to not solder the turnouts.

Great care with the turnouts so NO glue gets near the moving parts.

If you think you have it right, your standards are too low. my photos http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/ARTHILL/ Art
  • From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:09 PM

mikesmowers wrote:
   The way I laid my Atlas track was to use white glue and temporarly tack the track to the cork roadbed and used bricks to hold it in place until the track was dry.  I tried the white caulk method and needed to reposition some of the track and destroyed the track trying to get it up, I think I used to mugh caulk.
     I did solder all of my track joints together as well as installing feeder wires about 3 foot.    
                   Hope this info will help, others will surely have different opinions.      Mike

Sign - Ditto [#ditto]

That's the way I did it when I used flex-track, about a million years ago, seems like.

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• 808 posts
Posted by jamnest on Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:23 PM

I glue cork roadbed on plywood with yellow carpenter's glue. I use Latex Adhesive caulk (clear) from Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes or Menards to glue the flex track to the cork roadbed. I use paving bricks to hold it in place until it dries.  You can remove the bracks after about 30 minutes.  Works great.

I solder two 3' sections of flex track together with 18ga wire jumpers.  I do this at the workbench which is a lot easier than on the layout.  I drill small holes in the roadbed and push the wires underneath the layout to connect to the 12ga wire power buss with suitcase connectors.  I use unsoldered rail joiners between the 6' sections, but a locomotive is never more than 3' from a jumper with this settup.

JIM

Jim, Modeling the Kansas City Southern Lines in HO scale.

• 713 posts
Posted by hardcoalcase on Saturday, October 28, 2006 9:24 PM

I've used similar methods as jamnest.  I found that small gaps (1/64") between soldered pairs of flex-track were needed to avoid misaligned track due to heat.  In my case it was the heated basement during the winter that caused the problem vs. the air conditioned space in the summer.

For future projects, I'll try gluing the cork with a latex adhesive as prior posts suggest the white/carpenter's glue may resonate too much sound to the plywood.  Hopefully a latex bond between track and cork, cork and plywood will reduce the growl.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all