Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

HO Barbed wire

34 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 4,393 posts
HO Barbed wire
Posted by ARTHILL on Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:19 PM
Its time to put a barbed wire fence around the hunting scene. Where do I get or how do I simulate barbed wire?
If you think you have it right, your standards are too low. my photos http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/ARTHILL/ Art
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:52 PM
In Lou Sassi's book, he used ultra lite fish line and tied knots in it. He used a jig for spacing, someone on this forum might have the details for correct spacing, I don't have mine handy right now.
  • 523 posts
Posted by jeffshultz on Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:52 PM
I'd find the finest thread/monofiliament line out there. You aren't going to see the barbs in HO anyway...
Jeff Shultz From 2x8 to single car garage, the W&P is expanding! Willamette & Pacific - Oregon Electric Branch
  • 709 posts
Posted by nedthomas on Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:26 PM
The mesh used for wedding vails can be cut in single strands. Still does not look to scale
  • 3,150 posts
Posted by CNJ831 on Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:26 PM
As I recall, Art Curren did an MR article on modeling various types of fences not too many years ago, including modeling a barbed wire fence. Check to Magazine Index.

CNJ831
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 29, 2005 5:04 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by BXCARMIKE

In Lou Sassi's book, he used ultra lite fish line and tied knots in it. He used a jig for spacing, someone on this forum might have the details for correct spacing, I don't have mine handy right now.

This is the method my buddies have used....How much do you want barbed wire????

I wonder if there is a commercial source out there?
  • 1,132 posts
Posted by jrbarney on Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:20 PM
Art,
I haven't seen it in person, but Yesteryear Creations:
http://www.yesteryearcreations.com/products/
offers barbed wire in both HO and N scale.
Bob
NMRA Life 0543
"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana." "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria." --German proverb
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:40 PM
I have wondered this for a long while, you cann't drive out west without seeing miles of the stuff along roads.
  • 4,393 posts
Posted by ARTHILL on Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:57 PM
anyone tried the yesteryearcreations barbed wire?
If you think you have it right, your standards are too low. my photos http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/ARTHILL/ Art
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 29, 2005 8:01 PM
There are two good methods of barbed wire. First, the DIY method, is to buy fine wire mesh, such as the type used for repairing car bodywork, and cutting down the centre of the diagonal lines, leaving a single barbed strand. For curled wire, twist it round a pen or pencil.

The other option, is to go to www.forgeworld.co.uk and buy some brass-etched barbed wire. This just needs removed from the sprue, and painted.

Oh, hang on, I'm meant to be trolling...

I messed this up, didn't I.
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 29, 2005 8:36 PM
hey, do you play a GW game, i thought i was the only person on this board who did, if true, what do you play?
  • 1,459 posts
Posted by cheese3 on Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:27 PM
I just wrapped some thin wire around a small screwdriver, here is a picture...

Adam Thompson Model Railroading is fun!

• 4,393 posts
Posted by ARTHILL on Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:06 PM
uphilldownhill

Have you used the barbed wire? Is it the right gauge for HO?
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:08 PM
Cheese that looks GREAT! I am TOTALLY impressed.

QUOTE: Originally posted by cheese3

I just wrapped some thin wire around a small screwdriver, here is a picture...

• 331 posts
Posted by skiloff on Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:55 PM
There is another thread about power lines and someone pointed to this site:

http://www.berkshirejunction.com/

They sell a stretchable thread that they say works for power lines or barbed wire. Take a look.
Kids are great for many reasons. Not the least of which is to buy toys "for them."
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:56 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by uphilldownhill

The other option, is to go to www.forgeworld.co.uk and buy some brass-etched barbed wire. This just needs removed from the sprue, and painted.

uphilldownhill, were on their site is it?
  • 1,279 posts
Posted by Rotorranch on Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:04 PM
I could have sworn somewhere in the Walthers catalog there was barbed wire...but I can't find it right now.

Cheese...your fence looks great, but just a little constructive criticism here...most chain link fence I've seen runs diagonally to the ground, not parallel to it. Your fence looks like 8 foot tall field fence to me. Still looks good though! [:)]

Rotor

Jake: How often does the train go by? Elwood: So often you won't even notice ...

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:08 PM
Rotor, read your email, I sent one a little while ago, as for the fence of Cheese's, I have seen them that way, usually they are geared towards farms and stuff, I helped a pal stretch about 5 acres one time...

Nice fence Adam, great idea for the barb wire. I just ordered some chainlink fence that is supposed to have barbwire from I think GoldMedal?
  • 1,279 posts
Posted by Rotorranch on Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:34 PM
I agree dthurman...I have seen fence done that way...in fact I have strung 4 foot field wire around my 4 acres of pasture myself, back when I moved in here and brought my goats with me! ( FWIW...it didn't keep the goats in, or the dogs out. I'm out of goats now, and the neighbors are out of a few dogs...but I'll not get into that! [:0] )

My point to Cheese, not knocking his effort at all, was that most chain link fence I've seen runs diagonally.

Maybe I'm a little particular, but I see things that maybe other model railroaders don't see. Things that are just unnatural in the real world. Automobiles cruising down the street, but no driver in the car? C'mon guys.

OK...I'll go back to my padded room now! [^]

Rotor

Jake: How often does the train go by? Elwood: So often you won't even notice ...

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:39 PM
How about the stuff that is only four feet high with a wire or two strung across it, you see this stuff keeping cattle in and it runs for miles, what would work best for it? What about the very skinny metal posts, what in HO looks like that?

Give Rotorranch a big hand for getting us back on track.
  • 3,677 posts
Posted by orsonroy on Friday, September 30, 2005 9:03 AM
QUOTE: Originally posted by ARTHILL

anyone tried the yesteryearcreations barbed wire?

I've looked at it, but didn't buy any. The barbs are grossly out of scale, and are possibly a scale 9" long! Oh, and the wire's flat; completely unrealistic.

The best way to model barbed wire is to not model the barbs. For really thin wire, I'd use disassembled 22 AWG stranded wire.

QUOTE:
How about the stuff that is only four feet high with a wire or two strung across it, you see this stuff keeping cattle in and it runs for miles, what would work best for it? What about the very skinny metal posts, what in HO looks like that?

You're thinking about T posts and hotwire. If you REALLY want to be realistic, use the smallest T rodding Evergreen or Plastruct makes, add some small round rod as insulators (white or yellow) and use the disassembles 22 AWG stranded wire for wire. It'd be a tedious to assemble, but visually very nice, fence. Thankfully, I'm modeling 1950, so most of my fences will be 4" round posts, Tulle-simulated hog wire fencing, and one strand of barbed wire!

Ray Breyer

Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, circa 1943

• 3,770 posts
Posted by Junctionfan on Friday, September 30, 2005 2:32 PM
I wonder if anybody has thought about using piano wire. Any comments or thoughts?
Andrew
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, October 3, 2005 9:33 AM
As I stood outside of work on Friday,across the tracks about 80' or so there was barbed wire on top of a chainlink fence and from that distance it was hard to really see barbs, so in HO scale I would say it's safe to use very fine monofiliment fish line or even .008 brass and not worry about barbs.
  • 4,201 posts
Posted by trainboyH16-44 on Monday, October 3, 2005 9:54 AM
Welcome to the forum, uphilldownhill!

Go here for my rail shots! http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=9296

Building the CPR Kootenay division in N scale, blog here: http://kootenaymodelrailway.wordpress.com/

• 23,330 posts
Posted by selector on Monday, October 3, 2005 11:37 AM
(Looks left, looks right)...ummm, is it safe to come back here?[B)]
  • 709 posts
Posted by nedthomas on Monday, October 3, 2005 11:42 AM
ROCO military models sell barbed wire in rolls for use on a model battlefield. Walthers #625-317. Never saw the stuff but maybe the rolls could be straighten out.
  • 1,132 posts
Posted by jrbarney on Monday, October 3, 2005 2:51 PM
Art,
Found two citations at the Index of Magazines using "barbedwire" as the keyword search term:

Modeling barbed wire Railroad Model Craftsman, May 1985, page 95
( BARBEDWIRE, "BURGESS, JACK", FENCE, RMC )

Creating a Farm Scene True to Life Scenery for your Model Railroad, page 53 Making furrows; Growth on the field; Barbed wire; Post and rail fence ( BARBEDWIRE, FARM, FENCE, SCENERY, "ZMUDA, ALEXANDER" )

Haven't checked my copy of the Burgess article issue yet, and am not familiar with the Zmuda book.
Bob
NMRA Life 0543

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana." "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria." --German proverb
  • 4,115 posts
Posted by tatans on Monday, October 3, 2005 6:45 PM
Bxcarmike; hooray for you, my sentiments exactly, if you can see the barbs on an HO setup they are FAR too large and way out of scale.
  • 3,340 posts
Posted by Jetrock on Monday, October 3, 2005 9:17 PM
One strategy I have seen for barbed wire is simply using fine thread--it is "rough" enough to suggest the barbs (especially after being painted, dull aluminum-gray for new bobwire, rust for old bobwire) and inexpensive--some old toothpicks and a roll of cheap black thread and you can bobwire in the back 40!
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, October 4, 2005 7:07 PM
Hi .For barb wire I use fine winding wire that I raparound a thin rod then spread out and run a small roller over it to flatten in loops. Its a bit slow in the making but looks quite good.By the way I model in "N" gage
South Australian outline,The layout "Coonalplyn Downs" made up of 17 modules operated with DCC.
Regards, Ledzeplyn

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all