Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Layout Height

3 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 331 posts
Layout Height
Posted by skiloff on Friday, August 26, 2005 12:30 PM
What do people use as their layout height? I've heard 48" tossed around, but for children, that is pretty high, though you could build a bench to stand on. I want a staging track under the table, though, so I don't want to be bending over too much, or worse, kneeling on my bad knees.
Kids are great for many reasons. Not the least of which is to buy toys "for them."
  • 3,677 posts
Posted by orsonroy on Friday, August 26, 2005 12:40 PM
Layout height is VERY subjective. Do you want to operate the layout sitting down or standing? Do you prefer eye-level viewing or a hawk's view? Will your layout be deep, or is it a narrow shelf-type layout? There's lots of variables at work, and ultimately, the height will be determined by what you like. Benchwork mockups work wonders for this sort of application.

I've found that "elbow height" or "armpit height" layouts are pretty much standard. On my old three level layout, the levels were nominally 36", 46", and 54". The 46" center level was the most user-friendly, and the 54" looked coolest.

If you've got a growing child and are planning on a relatively small layout, why not design the legs to be adjustable? Build legs out of nested pieces of PVC tubing with holes for pins drilled through them. That way, as he grows into the layout, the layout's height can "grow" with him.

Ray Breyer

Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, circa 1943

• 2,047 posts
Posted by claycts on Friday, August 26, 2005 1:42 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by skiloff

What do people use as their layout height? I've heard 48" tossed around, but for children, that is pretty high, though you could build a bench to stand on. I want a staging track under the table, though, so I don't want to be bending over too much, or worse, kneeling on my bad knees.

As a fellow "bad knee and leg Person" I have used the "George's rule of access" If I can get to it with out a ladder or without kneeling down then it is correct. I built more cardboard mock ups to test every thing, height reach and lower wiring access. I use a garage creeper to get under the layout to wire and work and at 5'7" I can max reach at waist high 31" but only 27" without breaking anything on the front edge.
As far as children I would build a bench for them to see OR add a step up ring around the table so it is 360 degree access by standing on it, this alose helps your reach. Have to allow for undertable but that is where my creeper comes in.
Enjoy the hobby.
Take Care George Pavlisko Driving Race cars and working on HO trains More fun than I can stand!!!
  • 331 posts
Posted by skiloff on Friday, August 26, 2005 4:04 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by orsonroy
If you've got a growing child and are planning on a relatively small layout, why not design the legs to be adjustable? Build legs out of nested pieces of PVC tubing with holes for pins drilled through them. That way, as he grows into the layout, the layout's height can "grow" with him.

This is a fantastic idea! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for your comments, guys.
Kids are great for many reasons. Not the least of which is to buy toys "for them."

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all