Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

WPF for July 6th-8th, 2007 + July 4th Photo Fun.

42 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 431 posts
WPF for July 6th-8th, 2007 + July 4th Photo Fun.
Posted by ezielinski on Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:11 PM

Hey, it's a holiday - which is kind of like a weekend so I've been hard at work in the train room.  Here are some pics of what I've been up to.  Post yours as well.

I just finished scratch-building a basswood grade crossing in a curve,

added underbrush around some of my ROW,

and finally caught some workers unloading an REA boxcar on July 4th while another worker looks on.  Wait, they must be crooks stealing something if it's a Holiday!  I guess they are going to get away with it since the police are at the donut shop on my friends layout Smile [:)]

Happy 4th of July!

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:28 PM
How did you make that crossing? I have a crossing in one of my towns that needs one of those!
  • 2,354 posts
Posted by WCfan on Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:40 PM

Well, I got ALOT of stuff done. I Painted my back drop(Finally), I made some abonded track, got alot of my scenery done. Power lines are up with wire, replaced turnout, and set up some trees. Now I'm going to start blending every thing in with the scenery.

Layout 5

Abonded track

• 2,576 posts
Posted by Cox 47 on Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:58 PM
WC fan...Like that abandoned track....nice work on back drop too...Cox 47
ILLinois and Southern...Serving the Coal belt of southern Illinois with a Smile...
  • 847 posts
Posted by ShadowNix on Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:59 PM

Wow, nice work!

Ez, I LOVE your balsa crossing...on a curve too!!! I am jealous...still planning the roads, but when I get to crossings I may have to ask you how!

WC... Nice looking layout... more pics please!!!

Brian

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger!"
  • 2,354 posts
Posted by WCfan on Wednesday, July 4, 2007 1:32 PM

Thanks guys! Ok, I don't have much other pics. Just from diffrent angles. I'll try my shot later today at a "Proto-type" photo on the layout.

House

Factory

S curve

Main Street

Interchange

• 250 posts
Posted by P & LE RR on Wednesday, July 4, 2007 5:58 PM

So far today i have taken an athearn undecorated 50' boxcar and turning it ino csxt 130669 with the help of some paint and some decals... oh i love that blue :)

Modeling the CSX Bethlehem Branch from Lansdale to Telford
  • 1,769 posts
Posted by tomkat-13 on Wednesday, July 4, 2007 6:46 PM

HAPPY 4th of JULY!

I model MKT & CB&Q in Missouri. A MUST SEE LINK: Great photographs from glassplate negatives of St Louis 1914-1917!!!! http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/stlouis/kempland/glassplate.htm Boeing Employee RR Club-St Louis http://www.berrc-stl.com/
  • 2,354 posts
Posted by WCfan on Wednesday, July 4, 2007 9:54 PM

Yes David I noticed that. When I was painting it it looked really dark to me. But at least it's on paper and not the actuall wall. When I hung it up I just said, "Well, it's going to be late at might on the layout." But I think the clouds turned out good. Ic an easly fix that. I got some Sky blue laying around here.  

BTW: If you think it looks dark in the picture you should see it in real life!

• 431 posts
July 4th Photo Fun + WPF for July 6th-8th, 2007
Posted by ezielinski on Friday, July 6, 2007 9:20 PM

I figured I'd merge the two Photo Fun threads...

To TrainManTy and ShadowNix:

As for building my grade crossing on-a-curve, it was fairly easy.  Materials used included strip basswood (1/16 x 1/8 and 3/32 x 3/32), "Wood" colored acrylic paint, and ground-up artist's charcoal.  Tools included pins, and a small flat-head screwdriver. 

I first cut the basswood strips to the desired length (7 of the 3/32 x 3/32, and 2 of the 1/16 x 1/8).  Then I thinned the "Wood" acrylic paint and "stained" each strip so they would be kind of wet.  Next, I started with the inside of the curve.  I CA'd a piece of the 1/16 x 1/8 basswood to the plastic rail spikes cast onto the piece of track.  I kept the piece formed to the shape of the rail with ALOT of pins (about one per tie) until dry.  Next, I laid one of the 3/32 x 3/32 pieces of basswood next to the piece already there, gluing it to the ties themselves and pinning it in much the same way.  This finished the inside of the curve.

Next, I took 5 of the 3/32 x 3/32 pieces of basswood and glued them with CA, one at a time, between the plastic rail spikes in-between the rails (5 pieces fit exactly).  This leaves enough clearance between the wood and rails for the wheelsets.  Then I finished the outside of the curve the same way I completed the inside of the curve.

Once it was all assembled, I took the small flat-head screw driver and lightly "scored" each length of stripwood to create the planks.  On each end, and next to each score, I punched a pin through the wood to create the "bolt-hole", simulating the bolts that hold the grade crossing down.

With all the details added, I then brushed some ground-up artist's charcoal over the crossing to highlight the details.  I ballasted the road and completed my crossing.

• 5,743 posts
Posted by simon1966 on Friday, July 6, 2007 9:47 PM

I have been continuing to work on my JL Innovative Ice-Cream Parlor.  I have almost completed the walls.  They will perhaps get a little more weathering after assembly.  Now I am working on signs and posters and things for the windows.  I hope to get the basic assembly complete over the weekend.

Simon Modelling CB&Q and Wabash See my slowly evolving layout on my picturetrail site http://www.picturetrail.com/simontrains and our videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/MrCrispybake?feature=mhum

• 414 posts
Posted by MilwaukeeRoad on Friday, July 6, 2007 10:02 PM
Looking cool Simon. Get it? I know, really pathetic joke but I had to say it. lol
Alex Czajkowski
  • 23,330 posts
Posted by selector on Friday, July 6, 2007 10:19 PM

Simon, what else would you do in the way of "weathering"?  I think that third pic is stupendous.  If you add a wash or two it might detract from the rather excellent effect you have derived already. Confused [%-)]

-Crandell

• 23,330 posts
Posted by selector on Friday, July 6, 2007 10:54 PM

In keeping with the yard themed thread, here is an image of my "yard".  This was my first ever yard, and space was limited, particularly due to my overall trackplan and some longer steamers.

A higher view shows the double slip switch between tracks 1 and 2, in the shadows a bit...Blush [:I]

• 2,313 posts
Posted by gear-jammer on Saturday, July 7, 2007 12:06 AM
 selector wrote:

In keeping with the yard themed thread, here is an image of my "yard".  This was my first ever yard, and space was limited, particularly due to my overall trackplan and some longer steamers.

A higher view shows the double slip switch between tracks 1 and 2, in the shadows a bit...Blush [:I]

Speaking of stupendous, Thumbs Up [tup]

Sue

Anything is possible if you do not know what you are talking about.

• 446 posts
Posted by SD60M on Saturday, July 7, 2007 12:41 AM
I havent been able to do much with the layout so i took a pic of my custom made train shelf and a good chunk of my locos and cars.
Long Live The Burlington Northern!
  • 847 posts
Posted by ShadowNix on Saturday, July 7, 2007 1:17 AM

Nice work everyone.. love the yard, Selector... oh, and nice double slip Whistling [:-^] Sorry, could not resist!!! HEHHEHHEH...sweet looking engine facilty....

Brian

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger!"
  • 1,114 posts
Posted by Tom Bryant_MR on Saturday, July 7, 2007 8:26 AM

Been almost a month since I worked on RR.

Working on backdrop. I'm taking photos from the web into photoshop, change lighting levels and doing some blending between scenes.  Then print with poster printing software (one wide scene printed on 3 to 6 sheets of paper).  When satisified, I am using rubber cement to put scenes together and on the backdrop.

Working on sheets that are up about 1 inch here.  Currently taped in place.

Regards,

Tom

• 2,934 posts
Posted by C&O Fan on Saturday, July 7, 2007 9:07 AM

Nice looking Locos David

Great Back drop Tom

I posted Photos the other day on the progress on my friends layout

http://www.trains.com/trccs/forums/1160265/ShowPost.aspx

TerryinTexas

See my Web Site Here

http://conewriversubdivision.yolasite.com/

• 250 posts
Posted by P & LE RR on Saturday, July 7, 2007 9:27 AM

last night i also added removable staging (since space is an issue) for the layout...

• 583 posts
Posted by rayw46 on Saturday, July 7, 2007 11:21 AM

This is an older photo of a part of my small HO layout.  None of the containers are plastic.  They are printed on 60 something weight paper, cut out and glued together.

Shoot for the stars; so you miss, you are only lost in space.
  • 11,251 posts
Posted by SpaceMouse on Saturday, July 7, 2007 11:49 AM
 davidmbedard wrote:

WCFan, if I can be so bold.  Go outside and look at the sky.  Note the color of the blue?  The blue you are using is about 300 shades too dark.  If you go to your local home-improvment store you can as then to mix "sky" blue as a color.  It is much lighter and will look more apropriate for your backdrop.

Or is the sky that dark down south?

David B

Actually, the "sky blue color is still too dark. They will have a color strip. Go at least two shades lighter.

Chip

Building the Rock Ridge Railroad with the slowest construction crew west of the Pecos.

• 11,251 posts
Posted by SpaceMouse on Saturday, July 7, 2007 11:56 AM

Crandell,

I gotta say I'm impressed at how far you've come since yout last layout.

Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow]

Chip

Building the Rock Ridge Railroad with the slowest construction crew west of the Pecos.

• 23,330 posts
Posted by selector on Saturday, July 7, 2007 12:41 PM

Thank-you for your positive remarks, everyone.  As I have stated in recent threads, a yard adds immensely to the model railroader's experience, so I am very happy to have had this one turn out okay.  There have been days when I can only snatch 20 minutes at the layout, and doing some switching becomes the menu for the day sometimes.  It is a lot of fun.

In case you are nearing the point where you are wondering how to add ground covering, or soil, to your yard, I live in a quite sandy area with improved soil in the garden to which organic stuff has been added for tilth.  I screened some dried garden soil, added some plaster of paris, and then added some brown masonary dye if it was too light in colour.  Sprinkled a 1/4" layer of the material down, and used a baby food jar to "roll" it flat.  Then, I spritzed it with an alcohol/water mix and let it set.

In case you might be concerned about your semi-natural yard coming alive later, the plaster and alcohol do a good job of neutralizing anything that wakes up.

Chip, we'll all be doing the Bow [bow] in your direction in a very short time...I can feel it.  I feel that way about Tom (tstage) already....talk about someone coming a long way!!  He can give lessons on scratchbuilding and kitbashing.  Another giant is Simon...the man's a wizard.  I know he still lurks here at times, but I have a very soft spot for CNJ's modeling...another wizard.  Doc Wayne, wm, there are too many to list.  We're a lucky bunch to have them here.

-Crandell

• 10,660 posts
Posted by Heartland Division CB&Q on Saturday, July 7, 2007 1:09 PM

Going to the NMRA convention?  Here's the conventions site, Detroit's Ren Cen under construction. I took the photo.  The convention wil be held in the building.

GARRY

HEARTLAND DIVISION, CB&Q RR

EVERYWHERE LOST; WE HUSTLE OUR CABOOSE FOR YOU

• 308 posts
Posted by metalfrog on Saturday, July 7, 2007 2:44 PM
wow ez...a beautiful grade xing and i love the ballasted track.that looks exceptionally well imo.great job! i only wish i could ballast my track to look like yours.terry.....
  • 1,269 posts
Posted by jon grant on Saturday, July 7, 2007 4:38 PM

Nothing new from me this weekend, so a couple of recent(ish) FM photos at Sweethome instead.

Jon

Sweethome Chicago is now on Facebook

Sweethome Alabama is now on Facebook

Hudson Road is now on Facebook

my videos

my Railimages

• 250 posts
Posted by P & LE RR on Saturday, July 7, 2007 5:17 PM
Jon, love the photos as always! A real insperation for those of us modeling on a small urban/industrial layout!
  • 2,313 posts
Posted by gear-jammer on Saturday, July 7, 2007 5:19 PM

As usual, Jon, great attention to detail.

Sue

Anything is possible if you do not know what you are talking about.

• 664 posts
Posted by mustanggt on Saturday, July 7, 2007 6:43 PM

I don't have anything substantial, just some future plans and my work areaCool [8D]

the location of my future layout

My workbench

Three walthers commuter coaches that will mark the beginning of my foray into airbrushing (as opposed to being scared and paying a lot for custom painting)

Dave

C280 rollin'

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all