Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

How did you learn to scratch-build?

14 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 305,205 posts
How did you learn to scratch-build?
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 30, 2004 11:42 AM
How did you all learn to scratch-build? I learned many years ago by building kits made by Historical Scale Models. Had to cut out everything from paper and card stock. Built the Saloon and Laws Depot. Also built a few early Fine Scale Mineatures kits. After building those kits, one knows how the mechanics work and we can use our imaginations from there.
Happy Railroading, Keith http://www.pinecanyonscalemodels.com
  • 1,519 posts
Posted by n2mopac on Thursday, September 30, 2004 11:50 AM
Well, first I had some real life building experience which was helpful in knowin how structures are actually build. Second, I built a number of kits which helped in some of the basic skills. Third, I read a lot of articles and some books on stratchbuilding a variety of different types of structures out of a variety of materials, Finally, and most importantly, I dove in and tried it. I started with a kitbash or two, then tried the complete scratch build. I learned by trial and error, not being afraid to try and mistakes (after all we learn much more from our mistakes than from our successes), and continuing to read and draw from the knowledge of more experienced/skilled modelers.
Ron

Owner and superintendant of the N scale Texas Colorado & Western Railway, a protolanced representaion of the BNSF from Fort Worth, TX through Wichita Falls TX and into Colorado. 

Check out the TC&WRy on at https://www.facebook.com/TCWRy

Check out my MRR How-To YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/RonsTrainsNThings

• 4,240 posts
Posted by Fergmiester on Thursday, September 30, 2004 11:53 AM
Several ways
1) neccesity
2) boredom
3) trial and error
4) lots of pictures
5) Lego

Trial and Error was probably the most used. Alot of things I've needed were never available or were to expensive.

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5959

If one could roll back the hands of time... They would be waiting for the next train into the future. A. H. Francey 1921-2007  

• 3,420 posts
Posted by dharmon on Thursday, September 30, 2004 12:01 PM
Ditto what Fergie said.....

I usually don't get up one day and decide I'm going to scratchbuild something. Usually there is something I want or have an idea, but can't find or modify something to meet it. The only real way is to jump in and do it. Make some mistakes and learn. Find some of the older MRs and RMC from the 70-80s when folks were doing alot of it and get some ideas on the basics. Trial and error....
  • 3,677 posts
Posted by orsonroy on Thursday, September 30, 2004 12:51 PM
Mostly, I just "did it". I think my first scratchbuilt structure was a shotgun house built out of basswood when I was 12-13. Of course, I spent my childhood playing with Legos, building kits, and later working on construction projects around the farm, so gluing little bits of wood together wasn't really a big deal. And later (after college), once I had tackled a few resin freight cars and Bowser kits, scratchbuilding the odd building or freight cars didn't seem so intimidating.

Nowadays, I absolutely love scratchbuilding, especially structures. I think I've scratchbuilt over 40 structures in both HO and N this year alone! (OK, 25 of them were N scale section houses, all identical. They weren't the hardest things in the world to build! I think they cost me $2 apiece, mostly for the two Tichy windows in each of them)

Ray Breyer

Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, circa 1943

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 30, 2004 1:01 PM
I started scratchbuilding as a teenage model railroader because I couldn't afford the expensive kits. I think I used plans from magazines and cut the basic shapes out of cardboard, scribing siding on with a dull knife. Basswood wasn't around much then, so I used balsa wood for the inside supports, window and door framing and trim. Some were painted with some house paint my father had around, diluted with paint thinner. Kinda crude I guess but served the purpose at the time.

Later as an adult when I got back into the hobby, I did as others have mentioned, I assembled some expensive kits by Campbell and Fine Scale Miniatures. It dawned on me that I could use the very same methods to make my own structures, which I did.

In rolling stock, the Roundhouse "3 in 1" kits were a great learning tool too. They weren't actually kits, but some of their bits and pieces from their lines with plenty of good instructions. Best of all they told me exactly what I needed in styrene sheets and strips, and what sizes of Plastruct shapes to get. I made their steam shovel, Jordan Spreader and several more. Not quite like the RTR kits of today!

Bob Boudreau
  • 4,240 posts
Posted by Fergmiester on Thursday, September 30, 2004 2:03 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by dharmon

Ditto what Fergie said.....

I usually don't get up one day and decide I'm going to scratchbuild something. Usually there is something I want or have an idea, but can't find or modify something to meet it. The only real way is to jump in and do it. Make some mistakes and learn. Find some of the older MRs and RMC from the 70-80s when folks were doing alot of it and get some ideas on the basics. Trial and error....

Funny thing is sometimes I'll start a project get one third of it done and then let it sit for a month or even a year. Then one day I'll pick it up and run with it.

I call these my "back burner projects" for the simple reason I sometimes don't have the knowledge to finish something and I'll let it sit in the3 back closet and let the grey matter figure it for me. It's a subconscious thing...... I think?

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5959

If one could roll back the hands of time... They would be waiting for the next train into the future. A. H. Francey 1921-2007  

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 30, 2004 2:17 PM
Mainly Trail and Error.

When I was living in Newcastle, one of my local modeling buddies was an avid Colorado Narrow Gauge modeler. (I think scratchbuilding is a pre-requisit in that genre) so he would show me something cool. Then I would want something just as cool, so I would pick uo some strip wood, cardstock and styrene and have it it. I have since scrapped alot of my early stuff as compared to what I can do now, my early stuff is quite attrocous.

This modeler i refer to was also a wheathering god as well.

James

• 3,370 posts
Posted by Noah Hofrichter on Thursday, September 30, 2004 4:21 PM
Well, I was a lego nut when i was abotu 4-8, so that helped some. Then I used to cut cardboard out, tape it with maskign tape, and then paint it, and then finally I tackled the styrene stuff this summer. I really enjoy it now. My first styrene attempt wasn't perfect, but hopefully my next will be better, the old trial and error thing.

Noah
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 30, 2004 4:36 PM
Trial and Error. More errors than I care to remember, but all worth it!
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 30, 2004 5:33 PM
Wow...I forgot to mention my very first scratch building project. I had very little money and could not buy wood or plastic supplies. I used cereal boxes for the nice cardstock. I laminated layers of this cardboard together to form a nice rigid sheet of workable material. I then built a small freight station with covered platform. I carved grooves to represent planks. Windows were cut out of business cards laminated into the wall. Looked great, but alot of work. Sure is nice to have the modern materials these days.
Just gotta go for it. No fears. You can always start over it you don't like the result.
Happy Scratch-building, Keith
  • 665 posts
Posted by darth9x9 on Thursday, September 30, 2004 9:36 PM
I watched one of the masters - Howard Zane. I saw how easy he made it look and then I gave it whack. It wasn't that bad after all!

Bill Carl (modeling Chessie and predecessors from 1973-1983)
Member of Four County Society of Model Engineers
NCE DCC Master
Visit the FCSME at www.FCSME.org
Modular railroading at its best!
If it has an X in it, it sucks! And yes, I just had my modeler's license renewed last week!

• 437 posts
Posted by BNSFNUT on Thursday, September 30, 2004 10:07 PM
I learn a some of my scratch building by reading MR and a few books but most of my learning was done by trial and error.
It was 20% trial, 70% error and 10% dumb luck.

There is no such thing as a bad day of railfanning. So many trains, so little time.

• 3,340 posts
Posted by Jetrock on Friday, October 1, 2004 2:36 AM
Scratchbuilding uses pretty much the same set of basic skills one learns in elementary-school art--cutting bits of cardboard or wood and gluing them to other things. I started scratchbuilding with cardboard and constructon paper, moved on to wood and brick sheet, and just kept going from there. It's a skill you learn by doing--sure, your first project probably isn't going to be a masterwork, but the next one will be a little better from the lessons you learned, and the one after that better still.

Comic artist Berni Wrightson said that every artists has 10,000 bad drawings in them, and the way to produce good drawings was to get those 10,000 bad drawings drawn so one can start producing good ones. Fortunately for us, scratchbuilding has a lot easier learning curve than professional comic art.

I have picked up tricks and ideas from reading various model railroading books and back issues of MR, but the actual skills came from cutting stuff out and gluing it together.

If you have never scratchbuilt anything, just grab some cardboard and an X-Acto knife and give it a try. Cardboard is cheap. If you don't like it, smush it and start again--eventually you'll have something worth keeping, or replicating in styrene or wood (or just make really good cardboard models--people do!)
  • 342 posts
Posted by randybc2003 on Friday, October 1, 2004 5:42 PM
[#ditto] fergmeister, and more:
Simplicity
Appeal of the structure/car
A few Craftsman Kits.
My first Scratchbuild was (I think) a "Civil War" flatcar. Built 3-4 of them, still have them. Structure was a "Dollar Model" of a RIP frame. Later I got my hands on Ambroid (Northeastern) car kits, (Open Platform B&M Coach, etc), and Alexander's 100-ton Coaling Tower. WOW! [:O] That opened my eyes! Been progressing ever since. Some sucess, some disaster. Just tried my 1st. "laser" a year or so ago. Now, I almost whip some of these out without thinking about kits too much.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all