Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Remote Tortoise Mount

13 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 167 posts
Remote Tortoise Mount
Posted by AlreadyInUse on Monday, August 18, 2008 9:11 AM
I just wanted to say that this Circuitron product is great. An excellent engineering job that works as well as I could have hoped for. I needed it to control a turnout where cutting away the obstructing benchwork was not an option. As this was my first one, it took a while to complete the installation, but the instructions are well written with good illustrations. Once installed, it works as well as any of my direct connect Tortoise machines.
You can never have too much glue
  • 10,198 posts
Posted by howmus on Monday, August 18, 2008 7:27 PM
I may need a few for my yard.  Glad they worked well for you.  Unfortunately, they seem to be on order with an unknown delivery date at Walthers and are listed as out of stock in all other places I have looked.  Anyone know where they might be instock?

Ray Seneca Lake, Ontario, and Western R.R. (S.L.O.&W.) in HO

We'll get there sooner or later! 

• 1,637 posts
Posted by Blind Bruce on Monday, August 18, 2008 8:36 PM
I think Litchfield station has them and at a good price too!

Bruce in the Peg

• 10,198 posts
Posted by howmus on Monday, August 18, 2008 10:00 PM

Blind Bruce wrote:
I think Litchfield station has them and at a good price too!

"Currently out of stock".............  Probably the boat won't set sail til after the games are over... (Big Grin)

Thanks anyway. 

• 95 posts
Posted by CMLewis on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:19 PM

AlreadyInUse wrote:
I just wanted to say that this Circuitron product is great. An excellent engineering job that works as well as I could have hoped for. I needed it to control a turnout where cutting away the obstructing benchwork was not an option. As this was my first one, it took a while to complete the installation, but the instructions are well written with good illustrations. Once installed, it works as well as any of my direct connect Tortoise machines.

Agree completely.  My first Tortoise installation was a remote install because of hidden staging directly under the turnout; the instructions were lengthy, but the steps were so simple that they took longer to read than to actually accomplish.  Operation is very smooth and reliable.

Chris

• 19 posts
Posted by camrodenrob on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:24 PM

http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/CTGY/SWMACH

Try Train Sets Only.  Currently shown as In Stock $8.84.  I got several from them not too long ago.

• 352 posts
Posted by WaxonWaxov on Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:40 AM

How far away can these things be mounted? does there need to be a stright line between the machine and the turnout, or can the wire be guided trough a sleeve like model airplane controls?

• 1,089 posts
Posted by BlueHillsCPR on Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:49 AM
 WaxonWaxov wrote:

How far away can these things be mounted? does there need to be a stright line between the machine and the turnout, or can the wire be guided trough a sleeve like model airplane controls?

Circuitron specifies 18 inches but I am sure that could be extended by a savvy modeler. Smile [:)]

Check out this info page

• 167 posts
Posted by AlreadyInUse on Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:50 AM
 WaxonWaxov wrote:

The control wire does pass through a sleeve. The instructions say up to 18" away and not to exceed a 2" radius in the control wire. My control wire ended up about 12" and goes through a 45 degree angle.

You can never have too much glue
  • 130 posts
Posted by PMeyer on Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:57 PM
Paul
  • 1,951 posts
Posted by wedudler on Friday, August 22, 2008 2:33 AM

I've had not much clearance so I took another way:

Text at my site.

Wolfgang

Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

Come to us http://www.westportterminal.de          my videos        my blog

• 833 posts
Posted by chateauricher on Friday, August 22, 2008 3:24 AM
 wedudler wrote:

I've had not much clearance so I took another way:

Text at my site.

INGENIOUS !!!  Bow [bow]

Wolfgang, please post more detailed instructions as to how you mounted the Tortoises and what you used to get them to work horizontally.  I am sure there are many others out there who would love to know more.

Timothy The gods must love stupid people; they sure made a lot. The only insanity I suffer from is yours. Some people are so stupid, only surgery can get an idea in their heads.
IslandView Railroads On our trains, the service is surpassed only by the view !
  • 1,951 posts
Posted by wedudler on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:16 AM

Like you see here, I've used two brackets to mount on the piece of plywood. I've attached the tortoise to the plywood.

You see the wire from the tortoise protudes under the plywood ad goes into a hole at the brass rod. This way the switch motor moves the brass rod. I've used terminal strips like you see. There's the tlhrow bar wire soldered.

My latest version goes with brass tubes and piano wire for the throw bar:

Wolfgang

Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

Come to us http://www.westportterminal.de          my videos        my blog

• 10,198 posts
Posted by howmus on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:26 PM
 camrodenrob wrote:

http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/CTGY/SWMACH

Try Train Sets Only.  Currently shown as In Stock $8.84.  I got several from them not too long ago.

Meant to reply a few days ago.  I got their last 3 with 3 more on backorder. They arrived on Monday, the first was installed yesterday.  While the instructions are clear (after reading them several times) actually doing the install was a bear.  That was due to reason I needed to use the remote in the first place.  I could see where the actuator went, or I could get my hands up there, but not both.......  I am renowned for my poor planning. Whistling [:-^]  I finally did get everything installed and it works beautifully.

I have also done many other remote installations with home made throw bars.  (I'm part German after all Wedudler......Wink [;)])  Here are some that I did a couple years ago for the area above hidden staging using some old code 100 rail I had laying around:

after the backdrop was installed:

This one goes in an area where there is no room for the tortoise to be placed under the track. 

Here it is before it was installed:

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all