Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Modern, Model-genic Yards

9 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 206 posts
Modern, Model-genic Yards
Posted by RRFoose on Monday, July 28, 2008 12:20 PM

I've noticed that Canadian Pacific's East Binghamton (Conklin) Yard is perfect for modeling!  It's not that large, has a great track arrangment for modeling, and includes a turntable, modern enginehouse, and car shop.  Here is a link to a track diagram of the yard:

http://rochester.railfan.net/maps/by.jpg

Does anyone else know of a modern yard that encompasses the "neccessities", yet is still small enough to be reasonably modeled?

I want to model a prototype location and I want to include a modern yard with modest switching duties, yet I don't want to attempt to represent a class one's huge yards.  And most short lines don't have turntables, inbound and outbound yards, switch leads, and modern engine facilities. 

• 2,477 posts
Posted by lvanhen on Monday, July 28, 2008 12:36 PM
Looks do-able, but it's still pretty big!!  Track #1 is almost a mile long!!  That's about 60' actual in HO scale!!  Shrink that down to 15' (1/4 size) and not too bad - if you can find that in Google maps, it would be interesting to see in an ariel view!!Cool [8D]
Lou V H Photo by John
  • 206 posts
Posted by RRFoose on Monday, July 28, 2008 12:42 PM
I suppose I should have been a bit more specific - even this yard would require SOME compression.  And if I were modeling it, I would probably take out a couple yard tracks.  And obviously the total amount of space you have available will make a difference in what you can and cannot model.  I just found this to be a happy medium - bigger than the short-line, half-dozen track yards, but not nearly as large as the Class 1 hump yards.
  • 284 posts
Posted by RRTrainman on Monday, July 28, 2008 12:51 PM

RRFoose wrote:
I suppose I should have been a bit more specific - even this yard would require SOME compression.  And if I were modeling it, I would probably take out a couple yard tracks.  And obviously the total amount of space you have available will make a difference in what you can and cannot model.  I just found this to be a happy medium - bigger than the short-line, half-dozen track yards, but not nearly as large as the Class 1 hump yards.

What scale are you planning to use HO, N, or something else.

4x8 are fun too!!! RussellRail

• 206 posts
Posted by RRFoose on Monday, July 28, 2008 12:55 PM
 RRTrainman wrote:

RRFoose wrote:

I'll be modeling in HO. 

• 284 posts
Posted by RRTrainman on Monday, July 28, 2008 1:11 PM
 RRFoose wrote:
 RRTrainman wrote:

RRFoose wrote:

I'll be modeling in HO. 

I used my local yard we have here and added a shop, refinrey, and a intermodel yard in my yard.  Its 2.5'X12' layout, Its just an idea.  You got the room great, if not alot of compression will be needed.

This plan came from a track planning book and modified a bit to match my local yard.

4x8 are fun too!!! RussellRail

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, July 28, 2008 1:18 PM
You might look at CP's ex-SOO Humbolt Yard, or WSOR's ex-MILW Horicon Yard.  The DME's yard in Waseca, MN is another thought. 
  • 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Monday, July 28, 2008 6:18 PM

Vermont Railway's Burlington, VT yard could be compressed quite a bit and still retain a fairly prototypical feel.According to information I received from a forum regular very familiar with that yard a few months ago, it handles two kinds of trains - 30 car trains and 10 car trains.

At least half of the yard's capacity is used for local industries and off spot storage, including team track handling of different commodities. It has a small engine facility, and MOW & RIP tracks.

Link to the maps.live.com showing satelite pix of the yard:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=44.471246~-73.217611&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=11857281&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

One possible interpretation of this yard :

A description of the layout plan:  this is a H0 scale freight yard plan inspired by Burlington yard in New Hampshire.

The plan is designed for two different train lengths - long trains of one engine, max fourteen 40' freight cars and a caboose, and short trains of one engine, max nine 40' freight cars and a caboose. The key to yard flexibility is the interaction between tracks F, G, H, K and L.

Track L is the Running Track, which can be used to allow trains to bypass the yard without disturbing switching operations. It can also be used as a runaround for trains that turn at Burlington and head back to the left or to the right. It can also be used as an A/D track for long trains (engine, 14 cars and caboose). And it can be used as a siding for a passing meeting- one long train can hold on L, between the crossovers to track H, while another train snakes past it by way of track H or track F/G.

Track H is the primary A/D track of the yard. It can also be used as a runaround for a long train on track L, or when dropping off or picking up interchange traffic on track F/G.

Track F/G: Left bound interchange traffic is dropped off and picked up at F. Right bound interchange traffic is dropped off and picked up at G-

Track K is the yard lead - or rather - part of the yard lead - it is also the lead for traffic to the engine service facility (J) and to  the RIP track (I). Yard lead is long enough to pull an entire short train of 9 cars from the primary A/D track (H) and move the cars to classification.

Track M is the caboose storage track - it can hold 4-5 cabooses.

The label E marks three general classification/storage tracks - long enough for 10-12 cars - ie long enough to built a full short train of nine cars and a caboose.

Track C/D is the team track - at C there is an end unloading ramp, while cargo is unloaded directly in trucks at D.

Track A/B is another industry track - at A there is a fuel dealer, while at B there is a concrete company.

Feel free to take whatever you may like, change it around in any way you like, or ignore it, as you please.

Smile,
 Stein

• 206 posts
Posted by RRFoose on Monday, July 28, 2008 8:02 PM

Thanks for the help so far guys.  At one point I was considering modeling VTR (or actually a modern day Rutland with the same trackage).  My only concern was that there was not enough traffic for model railroad.  The busiest part of their railroad is Whitehall-Bellow Falls, so it'd be pretty tough to cram the line to Burlington in there - that's 3/4 of the railroad!  VRS ends at Burlington, so there's no through traffic, and interchange with NECR is minimal.  Great yard, bad location.

CN's Pokegama Yard in Superior, WI is also fairly nice - not turntable though.  I could easily design my own yard to fit my needs - but I'd like to model something realistic.  I'm not a rivet counter, but I want the layout to seem plausible.  I've got a 16x24 room in the basement, so I'm not limited on room, but I don't have a ton either.  If time and money permitted I would probably choose to model a Class 1 main with heavy operations.  However, I like the idea of a single-tracked main with passing sidings, moderate traffic, and interesting scenery.  It's hard to choose a prototype!

• 9,236 posts
Posted by galaxy on Monday, July 28, 2008 8:32 PM

The yard in Conklin is a decent sized yard, and is laid out very nice and neatly. It is bigger than the NS yard in Binghamton. Somewhere nearby it is supposed to be an old roundhouse foundation that is overgrown now.

Just don't get caught "railfanning" anywhere near there !!! They don't like it at all. Found out the hard way. Treat you like terrorists. Or else I'd offer to send you some real pics! Never did find the old RH foundation.

At least NS won't bother you at the edges of the yard, if you can find the secret access.

-G .

Just my thoughts, ideas, opinions and experiences. Others may vary.

HO and N Scale.

After long and careful thought, they have convinced me. I have come to the conclusion that they are right. The aliens did it.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all