Trains.com

boxcar dimensions

9 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 158 posts
boxcar dimensions
Posted by paulstecyna21 on Sunday, May 4, 2008 10:41 AM
does anybody know what the dimensions are of a 40 foot boxcar?
http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photos/CW44AC/0001CSX-bc.jpg
  • 10,621 posts
Posted by dehusman on Sunday, May 4, 2008 11:38 AM

Which one?  They vary by several feet in height and several inches in length and width.  there is also a difference in interior and exterior length.

Dave H.

Dave H. Painted side goes up. My website : wnbranch.com

• 158 posts
Posted by paulstecyna21 on Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:43 PM
a 40 foot regular boxcar
http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photos/CW44AC/0001CSX-bc.jpg
  • 10,621 posts
Posted by dehusman on Sunday, May 4, 2008 4:08 PM

It could range from 8 ft to 12 ft high inside, from 40 to 40' 6' long inside and from 8' 6" to 9' 4' wide inside.

Boxcars from the 1930's tended to be 10 ft or less high inside, boxcars in the 40's and 50's tended to be 10'6" high inside and boxcars built in the 60's or later were 10' 6" or higher inside.

Dave H.

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Sunday, May 4, 2008 4:30 PM

Dave's pretty well got this one nailed.  The universal inside length was 40'6" (cars with smaller lengths were out there, but those usually had modified interiors taking up that extra half foot).

If I'm not mistaken, Pullman Standard's PS-1 box cars (probably the most common design from 1948 through the mid-to-late 1950s) had an inside length of 40'6", an inside width of 9'2", and an inside height of 10'6".

Cars with an inside height taller than 10'6" were relatively uncommon, usually for special loads.  A good-sized bunch of these cars were built during the late 1960s for appliance service, and a few hundred were built for special service on the Southern Pacific in the mid-1970s.  Those SP cars (often relettered for lines which leased them from Greenbrier under the "Golden West Service" name) are about the only 40-footers you'll find in active service today.

Outside dimensions are more problematic--you'd have to consult an Equipment Register to get some good examples.  Length was usually somewhere from 44 to 46 feet, width was from 10' up to 10'8" (the universal clearance plate maximum), and height was in the 14-15-foot range for a normal car.  Of course, the same car could have a different height later in its career if they removed the roof walkway.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 4,115 posts
Posted by tatans on Sunday, May 4, 2008 7:06 PM
All my life I judged everything by a 40 foot boxcar( lived in a railway town) but not till now did I realize they were @ 10 feet high, so what length are boxcars now???? 60 feet more??? c'mon now --an average guys   (and yes, there is an average)
  • 24,947 posts
Posted by tree68 on Sunday, May 4, 2008 8:34 PM
Methinks you'll find the average general service boxcar coming in at around 50' nowadays.

LarryWhistling
Resident Microferroequinologist (at least at my house) 
Everyone goes home; Safety begins with you
My Opinion. Standard Disclaimers Apply. No Expiration Date
Come ride the rails with me!
There's one thing about humility - the moment you think you've got it, you've lost it...

• 10,621 posts
Posted by dehusman on Monday, May 5, 2008 12:27 AM

tatans wrote:
c'mon now --an average guys   (and yes, there is an average)

Already gave him that.  They range from 8 to 11 or 12 ft high inside, from 39 to 40 ft long inside and from 9 to 10 ft wide inside.

They made 40 ft boxcars for over 75 years.  Its like asking what size is a sedan.

Dave H.

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Monday, May 5, 2008 8:59 AM

The word "average" is not a good one, because some 50-footers and some 60-footers have been among the most recent ones built, and the "average" would probably be something like 58.4 feet, a totally meaningless figure.

Perhaps "typical" is better.

Just about all recent box cars have been of the high-roof variety, with an inside height around 12 feet or so.  Most of them have an inside length of just over 60 feet, though quite a few have been built with an inside length of 50'6".  That, by the way, was the inside length of virtually everything built during the box car boom of the mid-1970s through 1980.  There were a few hundred built to an oddball length of 52'6" or so (as precise as I can be without a trip to the dungeon), as well as a few 60-footers.

The hi-cube auto parts box cars haven't been built in any quantity since the mid-1970s.  One group was built recently, and another single car--narrower and taller--was built a few years back and not duplicated.  These cars are on their way out, due to their age--and you'll probably not see them repeated.  But all of the hi-cube cars had an interior length of 86'6", and most of them had a capacity of 10,000 (exactly!) cubic feet.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 4,115 posts
Posted by tatans on Monday, May 5, 2008 3:58 PM
Not so meaningless when trying to figure out just how large a dimension is, the 40 foot length impregnated in my mind has become very useful all my life and I've come pretty close at estimating lengths now, so today I will try and use the 50 to 60 foot method, remember these are very rough guesses at a measured distance and. well I still know how far 40 feet is.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy