Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Part One: My Super Detailing of the Milwaukee Style Train Station (w/ pics)

9 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 12 posts
Part One: My Super Detailing of the Milwaukee Style Train Station (w/ pics)
Posted by missing_caboose on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:09 PM

Greetings,

So I wanted to share with you the progress of the building and super detailing of the milwaukee sytle train station. Before I get to the photos, here is the post that I joined into, and I have some base / research info there....  http://cs.trains.com/forums/1383497/ShowPost.aspx

I also understand that most of the stuff I am working on will never see the light of day, because it will be sealed away inside, and the only person that will ever see it is the me before I put the roof on, and the spider that it is lucky to get in. But I really love doing it, I am sure there others that understand. 

So here is where I am... (If you want to know how I did anything, please IM me, I would be more than happy to share)

The original station's clock was glass, and was lit, so I thought mine should be as well. I took a Dremil tool and drum sander and made clock holes.

I did not stop there, I saw a pic that says that there were blinds, so I put them in there, but I also do not like my spiders to not have a floor, so I put that in there as well, Please note the great tile on the floor...

Moving down the tower, I wanted to also add a great floor on the open area. I went with the design because it looked like something you would see in a space open to the weather.

I did not stop there, I also wanted to make sure that the tower did not fall apart, so I put in a set of rafters (this is one of the features that I am sure NO ONE would ever notice unless it was pointed out to you). They are real wood.

Okay in to the work on the inside. This is very tricky, because there is almost NO PHOTO's of the inside after it was built. So I have to take the MUCH LATER photo's I have found, along with a "blueprint" of the ground floor and make it up. Here are the photo's I had to work with

I only have ONE wall that will go from the front door to the back. There will be 2 of these. The "second floor" that is being built is going to be a open gallery in the "tower"

So, here is the one wall... There is a sign on the wall :)

So that is where I am so far. If people like this post, I will post more as I get it done.

• 130 posts
Posted by PMeyer on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:41 AM

Looking good!

Paul
  • 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:49 AM

Very nice and very inspiring. Truly a great work of art.

Magnus

Unless otherwise mentioned it's HO and about the 50's. Magnus
  • 735 posts
Posted by wgnrr on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:08 AM

WOW...It's looking great!

Thanks for the update-

Phil

My Photo Albums: http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k32/martin_lumber/ http://tinyurl.com/3yzns6
  • 208 posts
Posted by Dean-58 on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:24 AM

Magnus, you are a man after my own heart: I kitbashed and detailed the whole Kibri Wild West village for my HO Colorado Western model RR, back in the '70s--and I, too, installed interior walls and tile and painted wood floors, some with carpets, with window curtains and shades.  And the only part of all this that anyone else ever saw was the hotel (kitbashed from a Heljan model with gallery roofs and walls swapped to have the dining room and desk area face the front of the layout, and a saloon.  With the room lights off and the town lit up (complete with gas lamps along the boardwalks) you could see the partons and bartender in McGlone's Railroad Bar and the lovely old hotel's dining room.

I only saw the Milwaukee Road's Everett Street station from the outside, at a distance, from my brother's car when I was 14-15YO, but I liked it a lot.  If I had the room (I live in a tiny partment, about 300 square feet!), I think I'd follow your lead and have a model of that station just to look at!

Good work!  EXCELSIOR!

Dean-58

Dean "Model Railroading is FUN!"
  • 4,000 posts
Posted by jecorbett on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:28 AM
 missing_caboose wrote:

Greetings,

So I wanted to share with you the progress of the building and super detailing of the milwaukee sytle train station. Before I get to the photos, here is the post that I joined into, and I have some base / research info there....  http://cs.trains.com/forums/1383497/ShowPost.aspx

I also understand that most of the stuff I am working on will never see the light of day, because it will be sealed away inside, and the only person that will ever see it is the me before I put the roof on, and the spider that it is lucky to get in. But I really love doing it, I am sure there others that understand. 

So here is where I am... (If you want to know how I did anything, please IM me, I would be more than happy to share)

The original station's clock was glass, and was lit, so I thought mine should be as well. I took a Dremil tool and drum sander and made clock holes.

I did not stop there, I saw a pic that says that there were blinds, so I put them in there, but I also do not like my spiders to not have a floor, so I put that in there as well, Please note the great tile on the floor...

Moving down the tower, I wanted to also add a great floor on the open area. I went with the design because it looked like something you would see in a space open to the weather.

I did not stop there, I also wanted to make sure that the tower did not fall apart, so I put in a set of rafters (this is one of the features that I am sure NO ONE would ever notice unless it was pointed out to you). They are real wood.

Okay in to the work on the inside. This is very tricky, because there is almost NO PHOTO's of the inside after it was built. So I have to take the MUCH LATER photo's I have found, along with a "blueprint" of the ground floor and make it up. Here are the photo's I had to work with

I only have ONE wall that will go from the front door to the back. There will be 2 of these. The "second floor" that is being built is going to be a open gallery in the "tower"

So, here is the one wall... There is a sign on the wall :)

So that is where I am so far. If people like this post, I will post more as I get it done.

Can't wait to see the finished product. If you do the rest of the station as well as you have these few pieces, it should be a real show piece.

• 12 posts
Posted by missing_caboose on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:04 PM
 Dean-58 wrote:

Magnus, you are a man after my own heart: I kitbashed and detailed the whole Kibri Wild West village for my HO Colorado Western model RR, back in the '70s--and I, too, installed interior walls and tile and painted wood floors, some with carpets, with window curtains and shades.  And the only part of all this that anyone else ever saw was the hotel (kitbashed from a Heljan model with gallery roofs and walls swapped to have the dining room and desk area face the front of the layout, and a saloon.  With the room lights off and the town lit up (complete with gas lamps along the boardwalks) you could see the partons and bartender in McGlone's Railroad Bar and the lovely old hotel's dining room.

I only saw the Milwaukee Road's Everett Street station from the outside, at a distance, from my brother's car when I was 14-15YO, but I liked it a lot.  If I had the room (I live in a tiny partment, about 300 square feet!), I think I'd follow your lead and have a model of that station just to look at!

Good work!  EXCELSIOR!

Dean-58

Dean? Can I be the man after your own heart? Because it is my post :)  Magnus is doing his own, I think he is doing in after the 1940 remodel.

• 1,808 posts
Posted by Lillen on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:48 PM
 missing_caboose wrote:
 Dean-58 wrote:

Good work!  EXCELSIOR!

Dean-58

Dean? Can I be the man after your own heart? Because it is my post :)  Magnus is doing his own, I think he is doing in after the 1940 remodel.

You got the wrong man. As missing caboose says I'm doing my own version. I haven't done much on it lately since I'm busy building the actual house to put it in. But I'm doing the interiors as well, some parts that I've ordered got lost in transit so I'm kind of stuck now as I am.

I'm doing the station before they tore down the tower. In the early 50's.

Magnus

Unless otherwise mentioned it's HO and about the 50's. Magnus
  • 208 posts
Posted by Dean-58 on Friday, May 2, 2008 9:15 AM
 missing_caboose wrote:
 Dean-58 wrote:

Good work!  EXCELSIOR!

Dean-58

Sorry, Missing_Caboose, I signed up for the least expensive dialup ISP I could find when I finally got a new computer to replace that crashed (without burning) last year, and its response is still too slow.  Plus some guys sign their posts and some don't, leaving it up to their Forum ID--PLUS, I'm easily confused since my car accident.  (It couldn't possibly be old age!)  I apologize profoundly and profusedly!!!

Please keep us posted on your progress so we can all enjoy this visit to the past glories of one of our beloved Fallen Flags.  Although I took a train trip on the old C&NW that departed from its own Milwaukee "castle" that was torn down at the same time as the Everett Street station, as I said, I never got closer than a few hundred yards (or meters) of that lovely old edifice of the CM&StP/CMStP&P.  The photos of your model can let us all stroll through the building and onto the platforms under the trainsheds!

Dean-58

Dean "Model Railroading is FUN!"

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all