Trains.com

Double Derail - How common are these?

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 1,009 posts
Double Derail - How common are these?
Posted by MP57313 on Saturday, April 5, 2008 3:02 AM

On April 4 I rode the Sprinter, the new passeneger rail service that runs on the former ATSF Escondido branch in southern California.  BNSF (and SDIV) still operate freight trains in the late night/early morning hours on most of the original route.

In the short stretch of track between the Escondido Sprinter terminal and the end-of-track a couple block further east, there is a double derail - see pic. I don't recall seeing double derails before - how common are these?

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Saturday, April 5, 2008 8:01 AM

Back-to-back, single-split switch, power-operated derails?  Not common at all.  It's designed to prevent movement in both directions, whereas typically a derail is installed to prevent movement in one direction.  Note the freight cars tied down on the main track just beyond.

RWM 

• 851 posts
Posted by Awesome! on Saturday, April 5, 2008 9:26 AM
I never seen this before. Where would put this by? Railroad Yard? Hubs?
http://www.youtube.com/user/chefjavier
  • 13,507 posts
Posted by CSSHEGEWISCH on Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:09 AM

I would think that such an installation would be in situations like the Sprinter or NJ Transit's River Line operation and would mark the line of demarcation when the light rail equipment is in service and each type of equipment has to be kept on its own side of the line.

The daily commute is part of everyday life but I get two rides a day out of it. Paul
  • 7,968 posts
Posted by K. P. Harrier on Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:39 AM

I think CSSHEGEWISCH has it right.  CP AVO may indeed be a demarcation point.

The absence of control point signals in the photo confused me.  But, when I clicked on the photo, the picture became large enough to see the dwarf signal on the left in the background.

(Great enlightening shot, by the way, MP57313!  Keep them coming.  K.P.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- K.P.’s absolute “theorem” from early, early childhood that he has seen over and over and over again: Those that CAUSE a problem in the first place will act the most violently if questioned or exposed.

• 25,071 posts
Posted by BaltACD on Saturday, April 5, 2008 2:08 PM
 CSSHEGEWISCH wrote:

I would think that such an installation would be in situations like the Sprinter or NJ Transit's River Line operation and would mark the line of demarcation when the light rail equipment is in service and each type of equipment has to be kept on its own side of the line.

With the exception of when the Local comes to service the plant beyond the derails, then both are lined for movement so the local can do it's work.  The rest of the time the derails are in the derailing position to prevent cars from rolling out of the industry into whatever kind of operation is on the other side of the derail, it also prevents that operation from running into the plant in error.  A rather unique control point.

Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy