Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

red rock northern/jerry boudreaux

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 19 posts
red rock northern/jerry boudreaux
Posted by nicky&dad on Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:38 AM
hello everyone, could use some help, i seen jerrys track plan for the red rock northern and i must say its perfect for me. ive been looking for this type and size of layout it seems forever. it will be a perfct fit for a second level on my layout with the correct additon possibilities. but before i cut anymore blueboard for this layout. i would love to see some pics of it to better understand and visualize it in my somtimes slow moving mind. i love getting my new copy of MR every month, its like xmas for me every month. but i must say that i for one of the first times was dissapointed in MR for not having any pics of this layout, just a trackplan. but if their is anyone out there that could help me get in touch with jerry to aquire pics, or have pics of the red rock layout. i sure would love you forever, thanks for any replies,barry
  • 209 posts
Posted by ramoutandabout on Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:21 AM

I'm actually plannin on building them railroad myself,  making a couple changes.

I have 10.5 x 15 instead of 9 x 11

so bigger radius

mainline will be #6 code 83 wathers

prodigy express

transitional era

• 4,387 posts
Posted by cuyama on Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:30 AM

nicky_dad wrote:
but i must say that i for one of the first times was dissapointed in MR for not having any pics of this layout, just a trackplan.

The reason there were no pictures is that this track plan was an entry in the layout design contest, not a layout visit story. Likely, that design has not ever been built.

There will be some challenges in building and operating the design as published, which were discussed in this thread:
http://www.trains.com/trccs/forums/1241229/ShowPost.aspx

Byron
Model RR Blog

• 569 posts
Posted by ratled on Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:17 AM

I too am building the Red Rock and Northern!!!!    What an amazing plan.   You can see my one post asking about here

http://www.trains.com/trccs/forums/1229526/ShowPost.aspx

The reason there is no pictures of it because no one has built it yet.  It was the second place winner (according to MR mag not me) in the layout design contest for a mid size layout.

Just a couple of updates since that first post

I made it in 9 dominos for the bench work using 3" x 3/4" brich.  Lowes did all of the ripping for free and it only took 2 sheets with leftovers to boot.  I also changed the width to either 2" or 18".  The area coming out of Red Rock was to too narrow to be sturdy in a domino format.  All of the dominos are built.  Half of the backdrops are on. I was hoping to have all of the bench work done by the first of the year but with the silly season and the family being sick it got backed up.  I do have a kitchen pass for tomorrow for a day of work on it.

I'm using 2" foam for the terraforming - thanks to Byron for the source.  Next step is fascia boards that will 7" x 1/8" masonite.  I'll be using door hinges to ensure correct line up of the modules an ¼" bolts with wing nuts to hold it all together.

I did make some track modifications.   I did eliminate the switch back at Granite Creek.  I used the turnout just for the feed mill.  I put in a new one across from the depot to serve the lumber supply.  I also eliminated the Big Mug mine and pushed the main line to where the run around is to open up that comer a little.  Im thinking of putting most o that track into a tunnel to break  some of the visual clutter of too much track in one area.  I did add a run around track in the Red Rock yard that runs between the edge and the track that goes to the TT. It also goes to the TT and will serve as a service area fuel sand etc.

The biggest change I made to the plan is the staging. I really didn't want deep hidden switches.  I put in a 19 degree crossover and made it a full 3rd loop (hidden)- since I run lone wolf this shouldn't been a problem even though I do plan to run unattended "drones" on the mainline.  This will really give the allusion of the trains going somewhere.  Trains enter the tunnel at Granite Creek and instead of coming out 10 seconds later in Red Rock it's more like 2 minutes.  I am still tweaking  the plan for staging off this "basement loop" in the area of Georges Gorge.  I thinking of a track for each direction to represent 2 more off area towns. 

By the way, I have become a BIG disciple of Joe Fugate's Siskiyou Line

http://siskiyou-railfan.net/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.26

I will be modeling this as the fictional Klamath River branch of the SP in October 1983.  I spend my summers there now and just love the area. I fell in love with the cover of the January 97 MR from Joe's layout and only recently discovered what he has going.  I have combined the two

Sorry about the ranting.  Drop me a PM or e mail if you want to bounce ideas, pictures etc.  I promise not to be so long next time.

ratled

Modeling the Klamath River area in HO on a proto-lanced sub of the SP “The State of Jefferson Line”

• 569 posts
Posted by ratled on Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:28 PM

Here is an older computer drawing that shows most of the changes.   It was before I standerized the widths to either 24" and 18".  Hope the photos show up this is my first try at it

ratled

Modeling the Klamath River area in HO on a proto-lanced sub of the SP “The State of Jefferson Line”

• 209 posts
Posted by ramoutandabout on Monday, January 14, 2008 6:35 PM

Me, im just finshing drywall so it will be a bit before i can get started,  but man am i amxious!!

ray

• 209 posts
Posted by ramoutandabout on Monday, March 3, 2008 5:41 PM

Hey guyes, was wondering if anyone has more of this layout built. I'd love to see more  im about doing with the taping of drywall now its paint time.  Luckly the wife is somewhat talented. I'll post pics soon

Ray

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all