Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Pink/Blue foam in CA

17 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 569 posts
Pink/Blue foam in CA
Posted by ratled on Friday, November 2, 2007 4:36 PM

I was reading some posts about using foam and one of the posters stated that you can't extruded foam in California anymore.  Is this true?  Not that I don't want to trust this poster but I don't want it to be true. I will be on the foam hunt starting this weekend  and now I'm behind the 8 ball.  Really don't want to be using the bead board...

Thanks for any input

ratled

Modeling the Klamath River area in HO on a proto-lanced sub of the SP “The State of Jefferson Line”

• 4,387 posts
Posted by cuyama on Friday, November 2, 2007 4:45 PM
 ratled wrote:

I was reading some posts about using foam and one of the posters stated that you can't extruded foam in California anymore.  Is this true? 

No, it's not true. I answer that uban legend about once a month. Here's what I wrote the last time:

cuyama wrote:

A number of layouts I've been involved with here in the bay area are built with foam, so it's possible to buy it with a little effort. Pacific Supply in the East Bay is one source, already noted earlier in the thread. They also have a branch in South San Francisco

Pacific Supply
1675 Mission Rd
S San Francisco, CA 94080
(415) 285-1010

They don't stock the foam in S. SF, but will order any amount of the Dow (blue) foam with no minimum.

I've posted this dealer-finder info before, but it might be worth doing so again.

When using either of these dealer finder methods, be aware that many dealers they list do not actually stock the material, so you must phone first! In particular, they will list many Home Depot stores which do not have the stuff in stock. Phone first, then drive.

Dow (maker of the blue foam) has a phone number for locating large dealers:
(866) 583-2583

In my experience, they often will not have a large dealer to whom they sell directly in warm-weather areas, so they refer you to nationwide distributors, who in turn will refer you to a dealer. Call the dealer names they give you first, before driving.

By the way, Dow has a dizzying variety of blue foam products. The standard stuff that most people use for model railroading applications is called "Styrofoam Square Edge".
http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/res-us/products/square_edge.htm

Owens-Corning makes the pink foam, which they call Foamular. Their dealer finder is online:
http://www.owenscorning.com/around/locator/StoreInfo.asp

Did I mention to call first, then drive? Again, the dealer-finders will list many big-box home supply stores, but in warm-weather areas, most of these do not have the foam in stock. You know, it might be a good idea to phone first ...

Byron

In the East Bay, try

Pacific Supply
1735 24th St.
Oakland

510-832-5724

In So Cal, try one of the dealer-finder methods noted above ... but call first! The big box stores will not generally stock extruded faom in areas that don't have a lot of basement construction.

• 569 posts
Posted by ratled on Friday, November 2, 2007 5:18 PM

Thanks for the fast reply.   Looks like a weekend of phone calls.

ratled

Modeling the Klamath River area in HO on a proto-lanced sub of the SP “The State of Jefferson Line”

• 1,090 posts
Posted by on30francisco on Friday, November 2, 2007 5:52 PM

You can also get it at:

Lumberman's Construction

1960 Folsom St.

San Francisco, CA 94110

415-621-7294

between 15th & 16th Sts. 

• 8,055 posts
Posted by twhite on Friday, November 2, 2007 7:03 PM

Cuyama--

Glad it's available in the Bay Area, but here in the Central Valley nobody stocks it anymore, even the big box stores.  Closest I can get it is Reno, NV, which is a much easier drive for me than heading to the Bay Area. 

It really shouldn't be THAT hard to get hold of, anywhere in CA--besides being useful in MR situations, it's a terrific insulation material.

Tom  

• 82 posts
Posted by njtaxland on Saturday, November 3, 2007 12:03 PM

here on the "right" coast we don't have any problem with foam, my question is, is there a difference between the pink foam and the blue floam, I am starting a n scale layout and the only one I can find is blue foam, either in 4x8 sheets or in 2x8 sheets. My layout is 36"x72", if I go with the 2x8 sheets is there any special way to connect them? I am putting the foam over a sheet of plywood.

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Saturday, November 3, 2007 12:27 PM

Blue vs Pink? same foam, different manufacturers. Have to be different from each other dont ya know...

Theres a place here in Burbank, too. just do a local search for construction foam suppliers, most wil carry it. Home Despot will only have the most basic of basic foams out here. You need to go to the contractor and manufacturers suppliers.

Have fun with your trains

• 21,424 posts
Posted by MisterBeasley on Saturday, November 3, 2007 12:30 PM
And just for reference, some people occasionally find out about CA on pink/blue foam.  Here, I'm referring to Cyanoacrylate, or Super Glue.  It's great for a lot of model railroading applications, but it will eat foam like one of those weird viruses you read about in the tabloids.

It takes an iron man to play with a toy iron horse. 

• 4,387 posts
Posted by cuyama on Saturday, November 3, 2007 12:41 PM
 twhite wrote:

Glad it's available in the Bay Area, but here in the Central Valley nobody stocks it anymore, even the big box stores.  Closest I can get it is Reno, NV, which is a much easier drive for me than heading to the Bay Area. 

It really shouldn't be THAT hard to get hold of, anywhere in CA--besides being useful in MR situations, it's a terrific insulation material.

Tom, I am working with someone in the Central Valley who bought some of the pink in Valley Springs. Still a schlep, but maybe closer for you than NV.

Valley Springs Home Center
72 Hwy 26
Valley Springs, CA  95252
209-772-1337

I talked to them this morning and they said they are temporarily out of the 2", but have 1" and 1 1/2" in stock. Try the dealer finder when you need it again ... just call first.

The stuff seems to be more available where it's colder in the winter and especially where basements and/or floor radiant heating systems are more common. I think that's where contractors are using it.

In my experience, you are much less likely to find it in the big box stores than in the smaller contractor supply and insulation dealers.

Byron
Model RR Blog

• 36 posts
Posted by Yog-Sothoth on Saturday, November 17, 2007 5:56 PM
 on30francisco wrote:

You can also get it at:

Lumberman's Construction

1960 Folsom St.

San Francisco, CA 94110

415-621-7294

between 15th & 16th Sts. 

FWIW I was by there today;  the only foam was the light-colored, foil covered kind.  No blue or pink.

• 569 posts
Posted by ratled on Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:42 PM

Byron thanks for the info.  After numerous phone calls and trying to expalin what I wanted I just went ahaead and called Pacific Supply.    2 hours later I had my 10 sheets of 2" at home.  Thanks again

ratled

• 3,672 posts
Posted by R. T. POTEET on Sunday, November 18, 2007 12:34 AM

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Calif but until last Tuesday I would have layed odds that you would never ever find this stuff in Arizona but I FOUND IT!!!!! I knew it existed because I saw it on a layout tour in Cincinatti in '05 and I saw a very small piece of it while on a layout tour in Arizona but last Tuesday my brother visiting from Michigan drugged me into a Home Despot and I FOUND IT!!!!!

You can't comprehend the number of wild goose chases I have participated in while trying to find this stuff; Home Despot only had the one inch Dow 2 X 8s but I have since found out where there is an insulation supply house that handles the two inch thickness. I have been a dyed in the wool hardshell man but I might just give this stuff a try on my new/next layout. 

From the far, far reaches of the wild, wild west I am: rtpoteet

• 429 posts
Posted by train18393 on Sunday, November 18, 2007 2:28 AM

I am currently building a backdrop that is to be light so as to be removeable easily. I am backing the outside of the layout with 1/8" hardboard. I figured I would go with the blue stuff so if a gouge gets in it the blue won't look nearly as bad in the backdrop as a pink gouge would look in the sky. Otherwise it seems to work the the same. I bet the chemical composition is nearly identical except for the dye.

Paul

Dayton and Mad River Railroad

• 1,150 posts
Posted by Metro Red Line on Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:31 PM
 vsmith wrote:

Blue vs Pink? same foam, different manufacturers. Have to be different from each other dont ya know...

Theres a place here in Burbank, too. just do a local search for construction foam suppliers, most wil carry it. Home Despot will only have the most basic of basic foams out here. You need to go to the contractor and manufacturers suppliers.

It's called Foam Sales and Marketing, near Victory Blvd:

Foam Sales and Marketing
1005 West Isabel Street
Burbank, California 91506

Telephone: 818.558.5717
Fax: 818.558.5724

E-mail: foamsales@evodata.net

I got my blue foam from them. They also supply a lot of the TV/movie studios as lots of sets and props are fashioned out of extruded stryofoam. 

• 4,387 posts
Posted by cuyama on Sunday, November 18, 2007 6:35 PM
 ratled wrote:

Byron thanks for the info.  After numerous phone calls and trying to expalin what I wanted I just went ahaead and called Pacific Supply.    2 hours later I had my 10 sheets of 2" at home. 

Always good to hear a success story. A good example of why it always pays to call first when searching for extruded foam in mild-winter areas.

Byron
Model RR Blog

• 8,055 posts
Posted by twhite on Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:04 PM
 cuyama wrote:
 twhite wrote:

Tom, I am working with someone in the Central Valley who bought some of the pink in Valley Springs. Still a schlep, but maybe closer for you than NV.

72 Hwy 26
209-772-1337

I talked to them this morning and they said they are temporarily out of the 2", but have 1" and 1 1/2" in stock. Try the dealer finder when you need it again ... just call first.

The stuff seems to be more available where it's colder in the winter and especially where basements and/or floor radiant heating systems are more common. I think that's where contractors are using it.

In my experience, you are much less likely to find it in the big box stores than in the smaller contractor supply and insulation dealers.

Byron
Model RR Blog

Byron--thanks for the information.  Actually, Valley Springs isn't that bad a drive for me, I just take State Hwy 49 south and turn east just before San Andreas.  Been there a lot, and the traffic certainly isn't as bad on 49 as it is heading up 80 to Reno. 

Appreciate the information.  I'll check it out. 

Tom

• 36 posts
Posted by Yog-Sothoth on Monday, November 19, 2007 6:58 PM

Yes!! Pacific Supply in Oakland has lots of the Dow blue foam in all thicknesses.  (At least in 2' x' 8').  Right off the Bay Bridge.

They have a bunch of locations in Northern CA, as well as a few in  AZ, NV, OR, UT:

http://pacificsupply.paccoast.com/default.asp?pageID=264 

Though I don't know if they all stock blue foam.

• 3,848 posts
Posted by andrechapelon on Monday, November 19, 2007 8:53 PM
 twhite wrote:
 cuyama wrote:
 twhite wrote:

72 Hwy 26
209-772-1337

Byron
Model RR Blog

Byron--thanks for the information.  Actually, Valley Springs isn't that bad a drive for me, I just take State Hwy 49 south and turn east just before San Andreas.  Been there a lot, and the traffic certainly isn't as bad on 49 as it is heading up 80 to Reno. 

Appreciate the information.  I'll check it out. 

Tom

Thanks from me, too, Byron. I'm in Pioneer, uphill on CA 88 from Jackson.

BTW, Tom, Pacific Supply also has a location in Rancho Cordova. http://pacificsupply.paccoast.com/default.asp?pageID=264&city=Rancho%20Cordova&stateID=13

Andre

It's really kind of hard to support your local hobby shop when the nearest hobby shop that's worth the name is a 150 mile roundtrip.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all