Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

How do you make cheap and easy tall grass?

37 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 2,354 posts
How do you make cheap and easy tall grass?
Posted by WCfan on Sunday, October 14, 2007 4:57 PM

Ok, as I'm starting to build my diorama, I'm going to need some tall grass for my ditches and other scenic spots. Now I know that the Noch Static Grass is a great tool, but I really don't want to invest the money into it because I don't need much. Is there a cheap and easy way to make tall grass? I've thought about using thread, but I'm worried it would be too flimsy, and take alot of work.

• 11,241 posts
Posted by SpaceMouse on Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:03 PM
One thing people do is get some faux fur and dye it the color they want then the glue it fur down to the layout and pull it up slowly cutting away with a hobby knife.

Chip

Building the Rock Ridge Railroad with the slowest construction crew west of the Pecos.

• 4,393 posts
Posted by ARTHILL on Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:03 PM
I have used faux fir scraps from the local material store and even scraps of mink fir from the bottom of an old mink coat. This does not mimic yard grass but weed grass in ditches and beside streams and marshes. I have better luck Woodland scenics "tall grass". A package will make a lot of grass clumps in HO. Two different colors add to the realism.
If you think you have it right, your standards are too low. my photos http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/ARTHILL/ Art
  • 784 posts
Posted by mikelhh on Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:32 PM

I've used jute string teased out into individual fibres. Just snip a short length and unwind it. If like me you have a foam base it can be simply pushed into that. Double ended tufts work well that way, with the middle section buried.

Cost was about $3 for a ball.

It can be slow going, and I wouldn't want to be doing a large area, but it takes acrylic paint well. Don't paint it before you tease it out because it'll get clogged up and won't separate. The grasses in this pic were left unpainted, and the colour's pretty natural I think.

You can make them as neat or untidy as you like. 

Mike 

Modelling the UK in 00, and New England - MEC, B&M, D&H and Guilford - in H0

• 1,313 posts
Posted by hminky on Sunday, October 14, 2007 7:01 PM

Click image to enlarge

Visit:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/fur_grass/

Thank you if you visit

Harold

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, October 14, 2007 8:02 PM

Well, I saw a method where you spray paint fake fur green, then apply dirt and work it in with an old hairbrush, when you're satisfied, you glue it down, then can put trees, ect after.

Could you post some pics when you finish the diarama?Cool [8D]

• 148 posts
Posted by tutaenui on Monday, October 15, 2007 1:43 AM
I would go with static grass and the $3.98 Noch puffer bottle. You can get results with the puffer bottle equal or better than with an electrostatic applicator.
  • 4,201 posts
Posted by trainboyH16-44 on Monday, October 15, 2007 2:26 AM
Don't you read MR Mag? Golden Retriever hair makes wonderful grass. Wink [;)]

Go here for my rail shots! http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=9296

Building the CPR Kootenay division in N scale, blog here: http://kootenaymodelrailway.wordpress.com/

• 2,299 posts
Posted by Dave-the-Train on Monday, October 15, 2007 3:48 AM

Any of the natural rope fibres, hemp, sisal and others can be stabbed end on into whatever goop you are using for mud and later cut off to whatever height(s) you want.  The cheapest source (if you can still find it) is old fashioned natural fibre binder twine.  Most of the fibres will hold paint if their natural colour isn't what you want.

Cool [8D]

• 1,630 posts
Posted by mikesmowers on Monday, October 15, 2007 7:58 AM
   I used Woodland Scenes Tall Grass. I think that is what it is called, it is sold in small packages of 3 or 4 different colors. I got mine at Hobby Lobby for a couple bucks each. It is kinda slow going but makes great looking grass. You can put it in lumps here and there or make an entire field.   I am surprised someone hasen't mentioned it.                  Mike
Modeling Trains Is Not A Matter Of Life Or Death, It Is Much More Important Than That!!
  • 8,027 posts
Posted by fifedog on Monday, October 15, 2007 8:14 AM
Bristles from old paint brushes.
  • 526 posts
Posted by Mailman56701 on Monday, October 15, 2007 8:14 AM

Great question.   I've used WS tall grass.  It's ok, nothing great.  Not very realistic looking.

To me, even in layout photos in the various mags, it always looks like someone took a scale broom and stuck it in the ground upside down, so that just the broom bristles are above ground :)

Never heard of the Noch puffer bottle mentioned earlier, sounds worth a try though.

"Realism is overrated"
  • 355 posts
Posted by Chuck Geiger on Monday, October 15, 2007 1:11 PM

Go to Joe Fugate's web site or search this database. I used fleece for N scale.

• 2,299 posts
Posted by Dave-the-Train on Monday, October 15, 2007 1:37 PM

If you want a lot of "long grass" of the same or similar height (like a corn field) one way to speed it up is to just plant long-enough or longer lengths and then mow it with a Wahl hair trimmer or similar.  If you can run a small vacuum cleaner at the same time to clear up all the bits (before they get in your locos Banged Head [banghead]).  Hand clippers will do the job as well.

Smile [:)]

• 152 posts
Posted by jawnt on Monday, October 15, 2007 1:42 PM

As Dave said, "binder twine" normally used to tie hay bales ---- available at most any feed / seed house that caters to farmers / ranchers. One nationally known firm 'Tractor Supply Co.' The last time I bought a ball, it was about $15 --- that's for a 6000 foot roll. Yes, 6000 feet.Cowboy [C):-)]

John T.

• 1,358 posts
Posted by secondhandmodeler on Monday, October 15, 2007 1:46 PM
Sorry to barge in on this thread.  For those of you that use twine, do you just cut a little bit off and secure it with hot clue?
Corey
  • 2,354 posts
Posted by WCfan on Monday, October 15, 2007 5:36 PM
Thanks guys for your help! I'll have to look into them. I'll post some picturesof the Dorima when it's done in WFP, or in a thread of it's own, but that won't but for a while.
  • 1,842 posts
Posted by superbe on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:14 PM
 WCfan wrote:

I came across this weed today and after reading this post on tall grass I thought it might be a possibility. I'm new to HO and I have trouble seeing things in scale size. If not grass mabe something else. Don Z, if you read this I tried to zero in on the subject.

Bob

• 57 posts
Posted by SouthCoastRail on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:50 AM

After being asked  in the weekend fun thread how I made the grass in one of the photos I hope the following info might help with one of the many ways to give a grass effect.

The product used available in the laundry section of your supermarket is a cleaning/polishing cloth using the generic name of 'wonder cloth. The cloth available in many colours but I find green the most suitable measures 195mm x 250mm double sided. The stitching is cut around three sides and you have immediatley doubled your usable size. And all this costs around the $2.00 mark.

Out of the packet the fur lies flat and when brushed up is about 10mm long which scales out as 3 foot tall grass. If you want it shorter fold the cloth over on its self and random cut the 'fur' to get an uneven look as the real grass does.

You can cut the cloth to measure, paint and place or just glue into place then proceed to paint.

For painting the cloth I have used water based paints Tamiya, in this case flat green which gives the base colour I want to have. Probably any water based paint will do. Use a stiff brush and massage the paint into the cloth covering up all fibres. Try not and have it too wet or the fur will just flop down. I use an off cut of un coloured cloth and rub it over the wet cloth to help dry and spread the paint. 

When the cloth is all coloured dry it up so that the fur fluffs up. The raw product from the pack is on the right hand side of the photo.

This is what it looks like all coloured. If you are modelling a drier area use other colours such as desert yellow, buff etc. The all green can be toned down with other shades as well.

To make variations in the green grass I used various light coloured chalks as shown. Once the grass is dry then rub the chalks over the grass. This puts highlights and dry patches in place.

Here is a picture of a finished section that has had the chalk treatment to tone down the all green and makes it more realistic. This picture was purposely mirrored to place the car on the right side of the road.

Here is a close up of the grass. Hard to photograph due to depth of field. (No I didn't mean the paddock was too long)

Another shot a some of the grass in place with the edges blended in with WS clusters and foam. Try and not cut the grass straight (not hard for me) when laying and blend the edges in.

Another great use for the grass when you have it all coloured up is to make small weed and grass patches. Just grab with tweezers a clump and cut off below, then place into position into a dab of glue. they come up great. The weeds in the middle of this road were made that way.

Well hopefully these tips may help you make some grassy fields, and I only hope a similar product to what I have described is available over there. Can some one give me some feed back and let me know? It is a very cheap product to use so don't be afraid to experiment and when you are happy with the practising glue it into place.

Happy modelling

Bob

• 3,660 posts
Posted by cwclark on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 8:58 AM
I'm with you.  I just bought a 12" x 19" mat of silflor from scenic express and it came to the grand total of $36.82. WAAAAYYYY too much!  I'm going to try something a bit different. I found a hemp  door mat with the slogan "wipe your paws" on it at walmart for a mere 9 bucks and looks like all i'll have to do is cut it out in very small sections with a hobby knife and glue it down. i may need to tease it a bit to hold the fibers in a random pattern with some dilute glue but looks like it will work just fine for tall grass. I'll get back with you and let you know how it works when I get to that stage....chuck

• 3,571 posts
Posted by Mark R. on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:50 AM

Hey Bob - I did a search for Wonder Cloth "over here" and this is what I came up with - appears to be a make-up remover (?) .... is this the same product ? ....

Mark.

¡ uʍop ǝpısdn sı ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs ʎɯ 'dlǝɥ

• 54 posts
Posted by BAYOUMAN on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:19 AM

HI WCFAN, I DID A BAYOU SCENE IN HO SCALE USING WOODLAND SCENICS LONG GRASS. IT COMES IN THREE DIFFERENT SHADES AND IS ABOUT THREE INCHES LONG. YOU SAID EASY AND CHEAP. YOU FAILED TO SAY LOOKS. WELL THIS METHOD IS EASY BUT LONG AND BORING, COST DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU WISH TO COVER. GRAB A SWATCH OF GRASS ABOUT THE THICKNESS OF A PENCIL AND CUT IT TO THE HIGHT YOU WANT IT ( I CUT MINE IN THIRDS BUT VERIED THE LENGTH AS NOT TO STAY TO UNIFORM ). GO THROUGH THIS WITH THE DIFFERENT SHADES OF GRASS MIXING IT TILL YOU COME UP WITH A COLOR YOU WANT. YOU MAY WANT MORE GREEN OR IF IN THE FALL MORE ON THE BROWN SIDE. YOU WILL GET THE NACK OF IT WITH A LITTLE FIDDLING AROUND. NOW THE FUN PART !!!!!!. AFTER YOU HAVE FURNISHED THE BOTTOM OF YOUR DITCH PUNCH HOLES IN THE BOTTOM OR WEREVER YOU WANT GRASS, HOLE SHOULD BE BOUT 1/4 INCH DEEP AND MAYBE USE A #8 PENNY NAIL, HOLE THEHOLES CLOSE TO EACH OTHER, THE CLOSER THE BETTER. PICK UP A PINCH OF GRASS AND LEVEL OUT ONE END ( I USE MY FINGER TIP TO TAP THEM IN LINE ). DIP THAT END IN GLUE ( THE WHITE STUF ) AND SLIP IT INTO THE FIRST HOLE. ONE DONE, 2000 MORE TO GO. YES IT TAKES TIME, BUT THE END RESULT IS WORTH IT.   GOOD LUCK, BAYOUMAN                                              

• 10,027 posts
Posted by loathar on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:07 PM
I'll have to look for that Wonder cloth! This place on line has a bunch of different kinds of fake fur.
http://www.mendels.com/fur1.shtml
They'll send you up to 5 free samples if you fill out the request form.
  • 665 posts
Posted by Kenfolk on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:27 PM

Thanks, Bob, for posting this. I'e been looking forward to this since your weekend post.

I haven't found this cloth locally yet, but maybe I can find something similar. You've done a masterful job with it.

• 784 posts
Posted by mikelhh on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 5:48 PM

'Masterful' is right!  Great job, Bob. Many thanks for showing.

Mike

Modelling the UK in 00, and New England - MEC, B&M, D&H and Guilford - in H0

• 57 posts
Posted by SouthCoastRail on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:51 AM

Hi Mark R,

not sure if its the same product but the lady on the packet seems happy with the cloth.

On the pack it says " Immediate radiant visible results". Well if it is similar it seems like you have a guarantee for a good finish on the layout.

Found my product amongst the sponges and cleaning cloths in the laundry section. It has multiple 10mm long fibres. Guess that about as much info I can give you.

Bob

• 122 posts
Posted by Beowulf on Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:07 PM
My granddaughter made straw by cutting the proper length of the bristles off a cheap "chipping" paint brush.  They look good on both the floor of stalls and upright in the field by the fence where they missed when harvesting.
  • 922 posts
Posted by fmilhaupt on Friday, October 26, 2007 6:28 AM
 SouthCoastRail wrote:

To make variations in the green grass I used various light coloured chalks as shown. Once the grass is dry then rub the chalks over the grass. This puts highlights and dry patches in place.

{image snipped}

Here is a picture of a finished section that has had the chalk treatment to tone down the all green and makes it more realistic. This picture was purposely mirrored to place the car on the right side of the road.

{image snipped}

Bob-

Your using chalk to vary the grass color is the missing piece I've been seeking for a couple of years- it's brilliant! It never occurred to me to go that route.

Thanks for solving a problem that's puzzled me for quite a while! 

-Fritz Milhaupt, Publications Editor, Pere Marquette Historical Society, Inc.
http://www.pmhistsoc.org

• 4,641 posts
Posted by jacon12 on Friday, October 26, 2007 7:02 AM

After you did the part with chalk that is some of the best 'wild' grass I've seen yet in this hobby.  Just super!

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures, Bob.

Jarrell

SouthCoastRail wrote:

After being asked  in the weekend fun thread how I made the grass in one of the photos I hope the following info might help with one of the many ways to give a grass effect.

The product used available in the laundry section of your supermarket is a cleaning/polishing cloth using the generic name of 'wonder cloth. The cloth available in many colours but I find green the most suitable measures 195mm x 250mm double sided. The stitching is cut around three sides and you have immediatley doubled your usable size. And all this costs around the $2.00 mark.

Out of the packet the fur lies flat and when brushed up is about 10mm long which scales out as 3 foot tall grass. If you want it shorter fold the cloth over on its self and random cut the 'fur' to get an uneven look as the real grass does.

You can cut the cloth to measure, paint and place or just glue into place then proceed to paint.

For painting the cloth I have used water based paints Tamiya, in this case flat green which gives the base colour I want to have. Probably any water based paint will do. Use a stiff brush and massage the paint into the cloth covering up all fibres. Try not and have it too wet or the fur will just flop down. I use an off cut of un coloured cloth and rub it over the wet cloth to help dry and spread the paint. 

When the cloth is all coloured dry it up so that the fur fluffs up. The raw product from the pack is on the right hand side of the photo.

This is what it looks like all coloured. If you are modelling a drier area use other colours such as desert yellow, buff etc. The all green can be toned down with other shades as well.

Here is a close up of the grass. Hard to photograph due to depth of field. (No I didn't mean the paddock was too long)

Another shot a some of the grass in place with the edges blended in with WS clusters and foam. Try and not cut the grass straight (not hard for me) when laying and blend the edges in.

Another great use for the grass when you have it all coloured up is to make small weed and grass patches. Just grab with tweezers a clump and cut off below, then place into position into a dab of glue. they come up great. The weeds in the middle of this road were made that way.

Well hopefully these tips may help you make some grassy fields, and I only hope a similar product to what I have described is available over there. Can some one give me some feed back and let me know? It is a very cheap product to use so don't be afraid to experiment and when you are happy with the practising glue it into place.

Happy modelling

Bob

HO Scale DCC Modeler of 1950, give or take 30 years.
  • 13 posts
Posted by DBMitchell on Friday, October 26, 2007 10:37 AM

SouthCoast:

I really like your pictures and the results you got from the wonder cloth. I hope I can find a similar product in the USA. The use of the chalk to tone down the green, and also color the base part is outstanding

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

dbMitch

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all