NY Tower, unlike others in the area had an unusal non-area designation which stood for New York Tower. MO in nearby Cresson for example stood for MOuntain, SO for SOuth Fork, why the NY was determined. Research I have done on the Portage area indicated that NY tower had three different locations the final built in 1891 at MP 259.1 just west of Portage. This was located on the south side of the mainline near where the Bens Creek Branch connected to the mainline and several crossover tracks directly in front of the tower.
It was a two story wood structure, typical of PRR appearance, the upper level had five windows facing the tracks, two windows on the sides. The lower level had three windows trackside. The tower was built on a cement basement elevating it to track level. This slight elevation was due to the fill used to reroute the mainline through Portage creating a more consistent grade and straighter line to Cassandra. This massive project done c.1899. The Bens Creek Branch (through Sonman) is the original 1854 mainline.
NY's original area of control was from Wilmore MP261 to an area near Cassandra MP256 and was expanded to MP 254 when LY Tower in Lilly was eliminated in 1931. This area of control included the Wilmore track pans, four passenger stations, Cassandra slide detectors, storage tracks near the tower, and branch lines serving the coal mines in the area. The signal bridge at MP 259.37 had water spouts attached for steam locomotives, near the the tower were four water supply tubs a water tower on the branch line (Bens Creek) and just east of the tower a water spout.
Its final mechanics were a P-5 type modified electr-mechanical switch machine. It had seven levers for signals, nine for switches and two for traffic, eighteen on a twenty three lever frame.
The tower was manned for twenty four hours per day, seven days a week. As the coal industry went ka-poot many sidings were eliminated. The passenger stations would be gone by 1954. In 1960 the tower would be manned only during the weekdays and on July 15th of that year the twenty four hour operation was reduced to 6:59am to 10:59pm only. The tower closed in the mid 60's and did not survive into the PC era. Remnants can be found just west of S. Railroad St's dead end.
Hope this gets you started. What museum?