Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Walthers ADM Grain Elevator

8 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 77 posts
Walthers ADM Grain Elevator
Posted by cgrubb80 on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:07 PM

I want to add the grain elevator but I need to know how far to put the siding from the main line.  I am talking about the siding that goes through the shed on the side.  Thanks.

• 5,440 posts
Posted by markpierce on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:36 PM

Place it along the middle of the siding unless it is very long.  The lesser of the distance from the shed (including the shed) to the end of the siding and the distance from the shed to the fouling point determine the number of cars that can service the elevator at a given time.

Mark

• 77 posts
Posted by cgrubb80 on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:43 PM

I guess I wasn't clear.  I mean how many inches from the main line so it will clear the main.  However I did not give it much thought as to where on the siding so thanks.

• 5,440 posts
Posted by markpierce on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:59 PM

I say a minimum of 8.5 scale feet (1.17 inches in HO scale) from the track center to the structure's edge.  This figure is based on Southern Pacific RR common standard plans for tunnel portal and signal post clearances. 

Mark

• 1,329 posts
Posted by wholeman on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:33 PM

I went further with mine than what Mark posted.  I went 1.25 inches from the main line.

Will

• 2,751 posts
Posted by Allegheny2-6-6-6 on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:37 PM

Strictly my O/P but it all depends on how much room you have to work with. If your tight for space then you'll need to cram it in where you can but if space is not a problem I go by just what looks good. I honestly don't think there is a "wrong or right" distance as in the prototype world things vary from place to place mainly i suspect do to simple topography of the land. Things like this I suspect would not be up to the railroad as they don't own the mills etc. just provide tracks to them at a price of course.

Just my 2 cents worth, I spent the rest on trains. If you choked a Smurf what color would he turn?
  • 5,440 posts
Posted by markpierce on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:06 PM

I gave a minimum distance.  If there is room, I'd move industry further away from the main track.

The railroad has everything to say about what goes on its right-of-way, which typically extends many feet from the main track.

Mark 

• 6,845 posts
Posted by jrbernier on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:28 AM

I would have to agree with Mark - 1-1.25" should be a minimum.  Most R-O-W extends 25-50' from the centerline of the prototype trackage.  In our model world, we usually do not have that kind of space to work with.  As another poster mentioned, the loading/unloading shed should be centered on the siding.  If the siding is 9 cars long, it should be right over the 5th car. This way the 'car puller' can move all of the cars through the shed.  On larger elevators, a small switch engine is used to spot the cars as they go through the shed.  My elevator has space for 3 empty cars(with one 'on spot' for loading.  There is another 3 car lengths before the switch for the loaded cars to be moved to as the loading progresses.  In reality, I just 'spot' the cars and move them by hand in between operationg sessions so they can be picked up by the local switch engine!

Jim

Modeling BNSF  and Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin

• 1,326 posts
Posted by BerkshireSteam on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:22 AM

jrbernier

I would have to agree with Mark - 1-1.25" should be a minimum.  Most R-O-W extends 25-50' from the centerline of the prototype trackage.  In our model world, we usually do not have that kind of space to work with.  As another poster mentioned, the loading/unloading shed should be centered on the siding.  If the siding is 9 cars long, it should be right over the 5th car. This way the 'car puller' can move all of the cars through the shed.  On larger elevators, a small switch engine is used to spot the cars as they go through the shed.  My elevator has space for 3 empty cars(with one 'on spot' for loading.  There is another 3 car lengths before the switch for the loaded cars to be moved to as the loading progresses.  In reality, I just 'spot' the cars and move them by hand in between operationg sessions so they can be picked up by the local switch engine!

Jim

Hmmm... that means my garage might be in the ROW lol. The tracks behind the apartment are 3 wide, a spur track closest to the garage 'shed', mainline, then passing siding. So that all falls under what ever Green Bay & Western standards are. We live right off their old mainline west, it makes me not want to move, but allegedly our new landlord is a slum lord. I hope we find a place close to active tracks. I would miss not hearing the train go by or tootin it's horn at the 6 grade crossings in that little area (there is one more but far enough away to not hear). Ooh, scratch that, there are 7, I slipped I can hear the crew blow the horn for the crossing right before the siding area starts.

But since we're talking about the ADM kit I have one question about it. Is the kit intended more for covered hoppers than box car era? The car shed doesn't look like it would be wide enough for a box car and unloading pit for unloading box cars of grain to store.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all