Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

London/City Style Buildings

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 20 posts
London/City Style Buildings
Posted by AlecWilliamFry on Monday, March 29, 2010 3:11 PM
Hello There, I am modelling a British layout and need some buildings that are similar to buildings in London, does anyone know of a manufacturer of such buildings. Regards
  • 3,139 posts
Posted by chutton01 on Monday, March 29, 2010 3:17 PM

London is huge, with many. many styles.  Even the City has a ton of different styles. Could you provide some prototype examples, maybe from Google Earth? Streetview?

Also, HO scale, N scale or OO scale (or other). Obviously OO scale provides all the british building styles you could need...HO scale or N scale, maybe you could modify German style buildings, or some of the older American style buildings

• 20 posts
Posted by AlecWilliamFry on Monday, March 29, 2010 3:57 PM
More of the regent style, similar to what one sees around knightsbridge.
  • 51 posts
Posted by Turd_Ferguson on Monday, March 29, 2010 4:46 PM

Found a couple of paper sites that may help:

http://www.scalescenes.com/

https://web182.secure-secure.co.uk/modelrailwaybuildings.com/index.php

http://www.superquick.co.uk/

General UK stuff but quite good.

Cheers,

Glenn

• 935 posts
Posted by Doc in CT on Monday, March 29, 2010 5:04 PM

Definitely Scalescenes if you don't mind card stock construction.  When you scale the pages for printing, the horizontal bar at the bottom of a page is 63mm long for HO.

Co-owner of the proposed CT River Valley RR (HO scale) http://home.comcast.net/~docinct/CTRiverValleyRR/

• 3,272 posts
Posted by CTValleyRR on Monday, March 29, 2010 8:29 PM

I have a number of the Superquick buildings.  These are more of a mid-sized town than city, but they're very nice and highly detailed.  They are, however, cardstock, and some people object to that.

Connecticut Valley Railroad A Branch of the New York, New Haven, and Hartford

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." -- Henry Ford

• 2,299 posts
Posted by Dave-the-Train on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:06 AM

I take it that you are modelling UK outline in 00 not H0?  (As in 4mm = 1' not 3.5mm = 1')  This means that you will need to get 00 buildings from UK suppliers.  Best source to discover what is available (other than the net) is "Railway Modeller".  This is the "Exchange and Mart" for all UK Railway model stuff.

What railways there were in the Knightsbridge area were underground... not just the London Underground (tube) system but the main lines as well... mostly freight... delivering direct to private sidings under the stores.  Could make a fascinating subject for a switching layout on a shelf.

Knightsbridge and anywhere else in the West End that was posh didn't let the smelly, noisy new fangled railways in anywhere near their smart frontages.

What you do find is the railways squeezing in between backs... frequently low cost (small) housing or industrial - some of which would be later infill.

To get an idea look at films like "The Ladykillers" and other Ealing productions.  If you can look at British Transport Films' stuff (Now held by the British Film Library I think... some of it is on line).

In London you would be modelling only one or two companies... depending very much on date... 

Knightsbridge would be GWR or BR/WR.  Both had 0-6-0PT with condensing gear for running freight in the tunnels.  The GWR also had some joint owed stock with the Metropolitan... ran out towards Ealing IIRC. 

Southern (1926 onwards) would mostly be 3rd rail electric for passenger.  You can get models.

Crossrail is now being built - underground mostly...

Let me know more of what you want to do...

What date?????

Tongue

• 20 posts
Posted by AlecWilliamFry on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:57 PM
I am modelling part of my layout on the Knightsbridge Tube Station and it is in the 1930s-1950s, no exact date. I also am doing Oxford Circus so if you know any building models that are similar to those do tell.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all