Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

P2K GP-7/9 problems with 18 inch Radius

8 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 2,934 posts
P2K GP-7/9 problems with 18 inch Radius
Posted by C&O Fan on Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:55 AM

I have 2 Shinohara Curved radius turnouts on the layout

with a 24 inch radius on the main and 18 inch radius on the diverging route

and these locos will derail 3 out of 5 times on the 18 inch radius

But all my athearn 4 axel loco will go thru no problem

Is there a fix ?

TIA

TerryinTexas

See my Web Site Here

http://conewriversubdivision.yolasite.com/

• 3,660 posts
Posted by cwclark on Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:13 AM

Hi Terry,

I have had nothing but problems with shinohara curved turnouts. Most of my locomotives (either 4 or 6 axle) will transverse the 18" but derail on the 24" (go figure) i've tweeked them until they eventually fell apart. They did work when i put shims of cardstock under them in various spots between the ties and the roadbed but eventually the derailments came back. I've already pulled up three of them and replaced them with #6 turnouts after redoing a lot of roadbed work and have 2 left that suprisingly, haven't given me any problems. If i ever build another layout someday, there will be no more curved turnouts.

Another thing, I've found that the shinohara turnouts will not work anymore if the copper clip at the point rail ever breaks. Once it breaks or looses contact with the stock rail, the entire turnout looses continuity.

The only thing i could suggest is that you do the NMRA gauge thingy to the wheels on the locomotive and try to shim the turnout....chuck 

• 1,752 posts
Posted by Don Z on Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:26 PM

Terry,

I did an experiment a couple of years ago and discovered the radii marked on the Walthers Shinohara turnouts are wrong. The outer radius is very close to being what is marked, but the inner radius in all cases was considerably tighter than marked. If my memory is correct, the inside radius on your turnout is closer to a 16.5" radius instead of 18".

Don Z.

• 2,934 posts
Posted by C&O Fan on Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:25 PM

davidmbedard

Gauge your wheels and gauge your track.  It sounds like your guard rail on the diverging route isn't doing it's job and you are picking the frog.

David B

The wheels on all 4 locos are fine David but the Turnout seems alittle tight

I don't have time to replace it before my open house Sat So i'm gonna try extending the gaurd rail

Maybe i can find a new one at the show

TerryinTexas

See my Web Site Here

• 2,934 posts
Posted by C&O Fan on Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:30 PM

Don Z

Terry,

I did an experiment a couple of years ago and discovered the radii marked on the Walthers Shinohara turnouts are wrong. The outer radius is very close to being what is marked, but the inner radius in all cases was considerably tighter than marked. If my memory is correct, the inside radius on your turnout is closer to a 16.5" radius instead of 18".

Don Z.

I think you may be right Don

I took a piece of 18 inch snap track and laid it over top of the turn out and the inside radius is just a

little tighter than the snap track

TerryinTexas

See my Web Site Here

• 147 posts
Posted by C & O Steam on Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:33 PM

Terry, I sure don't like the sound of that. I just purchased a couple of  #6's and #8's for my layout. I have them layed out but not powered so I haven't tested them yet. Looks like that needs to be my next step before I start on anything else.

Does your steamers go through them ok? What about the T-1?

MC

• 2,934 posts
Posted by C&O Fan on Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:14 PM

C & O Steam

Terry, I sure don't like the sound of that. I just purchased a couple of  #6's and #8's for my layout. I have them layed out but not powered so I haven't tested them yet. Looks like that needs to be my next step before I start on anything else.

Does your steamers go through them ok? What about the T-1?

MC

All the steamers go thru> EXCEPT < the T-1

No way will that puppy do an 18 inch Radius

TerryinTexas

See my Web Site Here

• 2,934 posts
Posted by C&O Fan on Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:18 PM

Found out the geeps will go thru the other curved turn out so just this one must be out of gauge

I extended the gaurd rail

Not Pretty but it works

So maybe I can find a new turnout at the show

Thanks all !

TerryinTexas

See my Web Site Here

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all