Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

problem with bachmann crossover...

3 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 2 posts
problem with bachmann crossover...
Posted by tubiashi on Saturday, February 6, 2010 11:11 PM
Hi, I am working on a new layout where there are two parallel ovals (4x8). On one of the straight line, I have a left crossover and immediately after a right crossover. I am using bachmann dcc system. Both trains on the tracks will be running clockwise. As you can imagine the purpose is for the train on the inner track to be able to switch to the outer track and vice versa. Here is the problem: both trains run fine on their own loops, on the straight part of the crossovers, the train on the outer track can use the crossover to the inner track no problem (forward-backward), but when trying to switch the inner train to the outer track, there is a short with the locomotive. the locomotive goes through the first frog, no problem, but as soon as it contacts the second frog, there is a beeping noise and the train stops (short...). The frogs are metal, but not wired in (the little black wires under are not connected)...I tried to connect the frogs, but when doing this, I get a short even without train, when I switch the switch connected to that "problem" frog...
I am really new to model railroading, so I don't know if I have a faulty crossover, or if I am trying to do something electrically impossible....hope this is somewhat clear...
Thanks in advance
  • 356 posts
Posted by Silver Pilot on Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:23 AM

Yes, you have a short.

Use the search function of this forum and you will find others who have posted similar problems and have gotten responses to explain the problem and how to resolve it.  You should also visit your local library for a good MRR book on layout construction and wiring.  For the most part, wiring is wiring.  The basics apply whether you're using DC or DCC.  A short is a short. 

Here's a tip - draw yourself a diagram of your track plan.  Use red for one rail of the loop and black for the other rail.  Any place the two colors connect you'll have a short.

Google is good! Yahoo is my friend.
  • 13,757 posts
Posted by cacole on Sunday, February 7, 2010 8:18 AM

One critical bit of information you didn't provide is, how many sets of feeder wires do you have connected to your layout.  It sounds like you have something wired wrong. 

• 2 posts
Posted by tubiashi on Sunday, February 7, 2010 10:08 AM

I have only one set of feeders on the current layout.

I did find what the problem  was!  no faulty wiring, but faulty crossover. I followed your advices and looked at each rail separately, everything was fine, so the only place where "current" could cross was at the frogs on the faulty crossover. All this is probably old news to you guys, but not to me: the frogs are metal  (they can be powered for short base locomotives), and there is supposed to be a very little gap between the frog and the rails which technically insulates the rails from the 2 different polarities where they meet...well, one of the rails was touching the frog  effectively connecting two rails of different polarities when the train comes and fills the gap on the other side of the frog....

anyways, it was an easy fix, just reinstated a small gap! thanks...

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all