Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

MRC Prodigy Express vs Digitrax Zephyr

11 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 22 posts
MRC Prodigy Express vs Digitrax Zephyr
Posted by GE_AC_LOCO on Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:08 PM

I have a layout that is about 18ft long by 8ft wide. I run no more than 8 or 10 locos at any given time. I am looking into a new controller. I am between digitrax, and mrc. I have heard good things about both. Do I go starter set, or go middle of the road ie, advance2, or digitrax's step up from the zephyr and why????? Gracias mi amigos

• 13,757 posts
Posted by cacole on Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:41 PM

The main thing you should be taking into consideration is expandability for the future, especially with as many locomotives as you say you envision running at one time.

I'm not familiar with whether or not you can add boosters to the MRC, but I know you can to the Digitrax system.  The current capacity of the basic MRC Prodigy Express is only 1.6 Amps, which may be straining trying to run more than 3 locomotives at a time.  The Digitrax Zephyr has an output rating of 2.5 Amps.

http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/mrc-prodigye-review.htm 

Another system you might want to consider is the NCE Power Cab, which has 2 Amps output and is easily expanded.  Prices for this system range as low as $150.00 if you shop around.

• 13,807 posts
Posted by wjstix on Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:50 AM

From all I've heard, either system is good and is expandable. I have a Zephyr, I believe it's power output will handle up to 11 engines or so...although if you run sound-equipped engines it would probably be less.  

Stix
  • 3,272 posts
Posted by CTValleyRR on Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:17 AM

The MRC is expandable.  An 8amp booster is available, and you can upgrade to the Advance2 or Wireless just by plugging in the new components.

PERSONALLY (and I emphasize that), I prefer the human interface engineering of the MRC units.  Your mileage may vary.

WRT JMRI, MRC claims their proprietary software is easier to use.  I can't speak to that, never having used JMRI, but I don't get in and monkey with decoder / CV settings all that often, so I don't see that as either a drawback or a benefit.  Again, others will disagree.

Connecticut Valley Railroad A Branch of the New York, New Haven, and Hartford

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." -- Henry Ford

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:20 PM

The second big reason to go Digitrax is Loconet. One single system bus for throttles, wireless interfaces, detection, and signalling. No one else has anything like that, with anything near the same capabilities. Plus there are plenty of non-Digitrax third party products that are compatible - from companies like Team Digital, CML, Logic Rail, and RR-Cirkits. And these products are featured on Digitrax's own web site - how many companies do you knwo that freely acknowledge and even link to competitor's web sites?

As for the computer interface, maybe MRC's software IS easier than JMRI. But there are OTHER software packages out there besides JMRI - things like RR&Co, which is in many ways superior to JMRI when it comes to creating dispatcher panels and layout automation. Like JMRI, RR&Co works with many different systems - alas not MRC because they have chosen to keep their interface protocol proprietary.

--Randy

Modeling the Reading Railroad in the 1950's

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 6,099 posts
Posted by Phoebe Vet on Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:49 PM

My personal preference is Digitrax, but if you decide to go with Prodigy I would recommend that you not get the Express.

Whichever system you choose, think future expansion.

Dave

Lackawanna Route of the Phoebe Snow

• 2,916 posts
Posted by wm3798 on Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:38 PM

I definitely prefer the user-friendliness of MRC's Prodigy Advance.  If you get the newer Advance-2, it provides computer interface capabilities, and a wireless upgrade.

Digitrax is a good system, don't get me wrong, but MRC is so intuitive and so simple to install and operate, it's well worth a second look.  When I got mine it took about 5 minutes to set up and get started.

Digitrax is much more customizable, but that makes it very complex to really understand.  The one advantage it might have is that people who have been doing DCC the longest are probably using Digitrax.  So there's lots of people to consult with when you get lost in their very bewildering owner's manual.

I tried using Digitrax and Lenz before I dove in and bought the MRC, and I have yet to regret any aspect of that decision.

As an aside, my layout is what you might call medium size, N scale, and I can keep my entire fleet of 40 or so locomotives on the layout at any given moment without causing a hiccup in the basic Prodigy system.  I will ultimately be adding another power district, which is a simple matter of plugging in a booster and following the simple wiring directions.

My favorite aspect is the ability to toggle through as many as 25 locomotives or consists without going through a lot of riggamarole.  Digitrax throttles require a fairly steep learning curve, and even then will only allow you to access two addresses at a time (at least that's what's obvious... you might be able to do more, but they make it quite a quite a mystery to figure out.).  So, with my MRC, I can have two trains orbiting the layout, I can build a train in the yard, and even switch a local somewhere else on the layout all from the same throttle.  I like that flexibility.

Every Digitrax set up I've seen looks like Frankenstein's lab.  Like I say, it's a really good system that can be adapted to almost any situation, but if you are looking to just get started and run some trains with still a very good deal of expandability and flexibility, MRC is a lot of bang for the buck.

Lee

Route of the Alpha Jets  www.wmrywesternlines.net

• 822 posts
Posted by HaroldA on Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:00 PM

I too was asking myself that same question when I converted to DCC last year.  I was considering MRC, Lenz and Digitrax and settled on the Digitrax Super Chief.  I am planning a major expansion ths year and wanted a more sophisticated system than the entry level Zephyr which does have some limitations.  What really tipped the scale was the Loconet and the ability to handle everything through one bus - which i think someone said already.  I had also heard great things about their customer service - which I can vouch for after returning a defective throttle - and I also found that their documentation was well written and quite clear.  There is a real learning curve with their system and some minor drawbacks, some of which have been pointed out here, I have been very satisfied with the Digitrax system. 

There's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.....

• 5,743 posts
Posted by simon1966 on Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:21 PM

Pick which ever you like the best.  Personally I have a Zephyr that has been heavily expanded.  I would not trade it for an MRC system under any circumstances.  I simply could not do what I do with my system with an MRC configuration of any kind.  I have used an MRC, and it is certainly easy to grasp.  There is more of a learning curve with Digitrax, but once you are familiar it is second nature and not at all hard to use.  My kids use the system with no problem at all.   Again personal preference, but I would  not want a system cheaply made in China, with poor support, when I can get a US made product with a lot of local knowledge and support.  Just look at the 2 web sites and see how much more tech support there is posted on-line.  The Digitrax tech support depot is second to none on the web.  The other issue for me is the companies commitment to DCC and how legacy users are treated. For me there is no comparison.

Simon Modelling CB&Q and Wabash See my slowly evolving layout on my picturetrail site http://www.picturetrail.com/simontrains and our videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/MrCrispybake?feature=mhum

• 2,134 posts
Posted by CSX Robert on Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:48 PM
wm3798
MRC is so intuitive and so simple to install and operate, it's well worth a second look.  When I got mine it took about 5 minutes to set up and get started...
That's about how long it took me to get my Zephyr up and running.
wm3798
Digitrax throttles require a fairly steep learning curve..
The older Digitrax throttles were not very intuitive(the biggest problem was they tried to do to many things with to few buttons, so you had to remember some odd button combniations), but most people who have actually used the DT400/402, Zephyr, and UT4 throttles find them quite easy to learn(the last "difficult" Digitrax throttle was the DT300, which Digitrax discontinued over 4 yeasr ago).
wm3798
...and even then will only allow you to access two addresses at a time (at least that's what's obvious... you might be able to do more, but they make it quite a quite a mystery to figure out.).
Digitrax's DT throttles have a stack that can be configured for 4, 8, or 16 addresses, and accessing it is not a mystery at all, it's in the manual under "Recall a Loco." Something the Digitrax DT throttles do give you is DIRECT control over two locos at a time(the only other current system I know of that gives you this ability with a walk around throttle is ZIMO).
wm3798
Every Digitrax set up I've seen looks like Frankenstein's lab.
I have seen plenty of Digitrax setups that do not look like Frankenstein's lad. I have seen some that do, but they often involve things like block detection or signaling, things that MRC doesn't even have.
  • 1,932 posts
Posted by Stevert on Monday, January 25, 2010 10:13 AM

CTValleyRR

WRT JMRI, MRC claims their proprietary software is easier to use.  I can't speak to that, never having used JMRI, but I don't get in and monkey with decoder / CV settings all that often, so I don't see that as either a drawback or a benefit.  Again, others will disagree.

I've used JMRI extensively, for at least the past five years or so.  When MRC came out with their claim that their software was easier to use, I downloaded a copy and gave it a try.  I've since uninstalled it, so this is from the best of my recollection.  I'm sure the MRC users will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

First, the MRC software can only be used for programming decoders, and some number of throttles on the screen.  I don't recall that it has separate templates even for the MRC decoders, let alone for other manufacturer's products. 

On the other hand, JMRI has templates for literally hundreds of different decoders, with more being added all the time.  Within the limitations imposed by the decoders themselves, JMRI will attempt to identify the specific model, or at the least the model family.  It then presents customized panels based on that particular decoder's abilities.  No template for your particular decoder?  No problem, use one from the same family, or fall back to the default NMRA template.  And if the "usual" programming mode (paged, direct, etc) doesn't work well for a given decoder, JMRI allows you to pick any of the modes supported by your command station.  I don't recall if the MRC software has that ability or not. 

Like the MRC software, JMRI also allows you to save roster entries with all the settings for a particular loco.  But JMRI also automatically makes backups when you change them, so you can go back to the prior version if you inadvertently hose one up.  JMRI also lets you group them (home layout roster, club roster, etc) for convenience.  And JMRI also have several print options that I don't recall seeing in the MRC software.

Although "easier to use" is a subjective thing, in my experience the MRC software was less refined, and it certainly lacked many of the abilities that JMRI has.

However, decoder programming is just one aspect of JMRI.  You want to build an on-screen dispatcher's panel?  And track your trains on that panel?  Or build a physical CTC panel to control the layout? Or signal that layout?  Or add automation in the form of automatically running trains?  Or automation for other aspects of the layout (for example, play a station announcement when a passenger train leaves the depot, but not when a freight leaves the same depot)?  Or dim the room lighting in time with your fast clock?  How about setting the turnouts to a specific state when you power up the layout? 

And what about operations?  Build trains for you to run?  Create routes for those trains?  Automatically assign locos from your roster to those trains, or assign consists if using NCE?

Or how about some combination of any or all of the above?  Using let's say one DCC system for loco control, another DCC system for turnout control, C/MRI for signaling, and X10 for your room lighting?  JMRI has you covered.

Steve

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all