Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Teen Model Railroad Place January 2010

141 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 1,414 posts
Teen Model Railroad Place January 2010
Posted by Guilford Guy on Friday, January 1, 2010 12:29 PM

Happy New Year!

Link Old Place

Seeing as its a new year... here's old and new!

Double Headed B&M Steam (4-8-2 Leading the 2-10-2) on my old module.

WC 3007 pulls a corn syrup tank over School St on the new module!

Alex

• 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Friday, January 1, 2010 4:32 PM

Uh, I think you mean January 10 Wink

Geez, weather that BAR car enough? Tongue

My Model Railroad: Tri State Rail
My Photos on Flickr: Flickr
My Videos on Youtube: Youtube
My Photos on RRPA: RR Picture Archives

• 1,414 posts
Posted by Guilford Guy on Friday, January 1, 2010 5:22 PM

Oops! Yeah, new decade.

BAR came with the weathering. The Steam Loco weathering was my doing though.

Alex

• 990 posts
Posted by Railfan Alex on Friday, January 1, 2010 11:38 PM

Happy New Year!

Alex

• 359 posts
Posted by BigBlueConrail on Saturday, January 2, 2010 6:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90pKVAemGiI I thought I would share a video I made, enjoy!
  • 1,082 posts
Posted by IVRW on Sunday, January 3, 2010 9:53 AM
Wow! Things are unnaturally quiet for you guys. The overwhelming sound of silence is deafening! For me, very little is going on right now. I am doing some scenery and a little ballast work, but I cant do that much because the entire electrical system has a short, and I might have to remove some track. I want to start scenicing the mountains, but I need latex paint for that. Other than that, I am building a Woodland Scenics metal kit, finishing up a walthers kitbash, and painting a plaster tunnel portal. Whats up with you all?

~G4

19 Years old, modeling the Cowlitz, Chehalis, and Cascade Railroad of Western Washington in 1927 in 6X6 feet.

• 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Sunday, January 3, 2010 11:20 AM

IVRW
Whats up with you all?

Nothing. For a while now, progress has stopped on my layout, and I don't know when progress will begin on the new one, because I'm broke. If I get money, I will eventually start on the new layout, but who knows when that will happen. If money slowly dribbles in, I will begin buying track and rolling stock to prepare for the new layout, until I get enough money to begin actually building it. In the meantime, I will continue running the same two locos and the same three (soon to be four, when I get that new centerbeam...) pieces of rolling stock around the same loop, over and over, with nowhere to go.

• 208 posts
Posted by RailfanS on Sunday, January 3, 2010 11:37 AM

IVRW
For me, very little is going on right now.

That's what's happening here too. I've been looking for somthing to do on my layout all week. But until my order from Walthers comes in this week (I hope, I paid the extra $5 for priority shipping) I don't have any of the supplies I need. Unfortunitaly I'm also back in school this weekSigh, which means that now I won't have alot of time to work on anything. Anyways, in my walthers order I'm getting a few new rolling stock (my Christmas present to myself), late Christmas gifts for my brother and a friend, Kaddee #146 couplers, materials to create a "paved" area on the layout, and a chain link fence kit. The paving materials are for my MOW equipment storage yard and the connecting roads (more on that later), and the chain link fence is to enclose the yard. For now all I have to do is WaitZzz

IVRW
I cant do that much because the entire electrical system has a short, and I might have to remove some track.

You use EZ-track right? Do you connect to the terminal pieces, or solder directly to the rail. Just curious, good luck getting it fixed.

BigBlueConrail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90pKVAemGiI I thought I would share a video I made, enjoy!

Awsome SD70. I've been wanting one since they were announced. I'm waiting for now because I want to check out the Intermountain ES44AC when they come out. They sound like they'll be good loco's too (and about the same price).

Jamie

Cape Vincent Southern Railroad

HO scale Horseshoe Curve in 5’x10’

My YouTube

• 3,876 posts
Posted by Packers#1 on Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:00 PM

From the old place, tyler, yeah man. I abt doubled my boxcar fleet this Christmas, and I probably need to triple my entire freight fleet to have enough cars to switch. Need probably 2 and a half times more hoppers (they'll probably all be bachmanns replaced w/ Micro-trains trucks, as the bachmann car is $4 and a pair of microtrains trucks cost $5.something a pair). I'll also need probably a half-dozen gondolas for the scrap yard. and eventually centerbeam flats will supply the lumber to the furniture factory.

John, I finally went back and soldered up a bus. Soldering does get easy, but still time-consuming and also makes my back hurt b/c the derned layout is only 3 ft. high, lol.

Anyways, I'll be posting my 2009 in review in the WPF.

Sawyer Berry

Clemson University c/o 2018

Building a protolanced industrial park layout

• 1,414 posts
Posted by Guilford Guy on Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:56 PM

Got the BAR Boxcar and Corn Syrup Tank Weathered. Also got around to giving a coat of brown to the track. Now to ballast it!

Alex

• 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Sunday, January 3, 2010 6:03 PM

RailfanS
I'm waiting for now because I want to check out the Intermountain ES44AC when they come out. They sound like they'll be good loco's too (and about the same price).

Yes, but EMDs are better!

• 208 posts
Posted by RailfanS on Sunday, January 3, 2010 6:29 PM

ns3010

RailfanS
I'm waiting for now because I want to check out the Intermountain ES44AC when they come out. They sound like they'll be good loco's too (and about the same price).

Yes, but EMDs are better!

I know that...

My EMD:GE ratio is 17:6Smile,Wink, & Grin

But the Tusnami sound and factory intalled KD's on the Intermountain sound pretty good. Though the MTH has those remote couplers that work really well in O ScaleWhistling. I'll wait and see. I figure that by this time next year I'll have one or the other.... 

Cape Vincent Southern Railroad

HO scale Horseshoe Curve in 5’x10’

My YouTube

• 1,414 posts
Posted by Guilford Guy on Sunday, January 3, 2010 7:31 PM

7801 shoving the BAR Box to the West Chelmsford Freight House.

BAR Box

SYRX Tank Car

All the track on the module is now painted and ready for ballast, although I need to go back and highlight random ties with powders.

Alex

• 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Sunday, January 3, 2010 8:44 PM

RailfanS
My EMD:GE ratio is 17:6Smile,Wink, & Grin

Mine's 5:0 Big Smile My roster is all EMD! If I were to get any GEs, it would be either a standard cab Dash 8 (no widecabs for me!), U34CH (for display purposes only, unless the URHS one was "restored" [in my version of history...]), or a Genesis (P40/P42)

Wow GG, that BAR boxcar looks GREAT!

• 1,414 posts
Posted by Guilford Guy on Sunday, January 3, 2010 8:47 PM

Thanks,

The entire car was done with a lighting misting of roof brown. The roof trucks and underbody got a bit more, but it really dulled down the sheen on the green which is good! Just 5 minutes with an airbrush can significantly improve the look of equipment.

Alex

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, January 4, 2010 5:35 AM

What's happening here? I weighted my intermodal train and I'm planning to get metal wheels for it as well - it will enter service as NAWJ / WJNA (Nashua, NH - White River Jct., VT) as soon as I can add some weight to the end platforms next to the coupler to fix some derailment issues. I already added solder inside the main spine underframe so derailments are almost gone. I suspect that metal wheels, truck tuning, and some weight by the couplers should fix the rest. I finished the scenery at Delery Pulpwood, a video chasing local LE-2 is on my external hard drive and ready to be edited and uploaded, and I'm planning a purchase of another GP7 and some more freightcars.

My ratio of EMD:GE, once my roster is complete, will be 7:0 - three GP7s, two GP18s, and two GP15-1s.

Nice weathering on the BAR boxcar, Alex! It's taken on that brown-ish-green-ish-blue-ish color that dirty railcars of that color tend to turn after a couple thousand miles. To the uneducated eye it almost looks like it could have been B&M blue at one point.

• 1,082 posts
Posted by IVRW on Monday, January 4, 2010 10:24 AM
My EMD GE ratio is 0:0 all steam here!

~G4

19 Years old, modeling the Cowlitz, Chehalis, and Cascade Railroad of Western Washington in 1927 in 6X6 feet.

• 3,876 posts
Posted by Packers#1 on Monday, January 4, 2010 3:49 PM

As to the my own EMD/GE ratio it's 2:1 now that the roster has been downsized. a GP9, GP35, and U23B are the three locos that serve my layout right now. however, I could see adding either a B-mann GE 44 tonner to the roster or an SW1200 or something to the roster in the future. This would serve as a yard switcher if it's an SW unit, or the 44 tonner would just be the King Furniture switcher. If the GE comes onto the roster (which is the more likely scenario), there wouldn';t be any shift. However, if the SW comes onto the roster, it would become the yard switcher, the GP9 the turn engine, and then both the U23B and GP35 would work through trains. This is in the 1997 operating scheme of the ANRR. In it's history though, in 1991 it signed an agreement with the South Carolina, Georgia, and Western Railroad that allowed captive car service across both roads. in 1998 the SCGW bought the ANRR (however they leave the shortlines they buy in their state, only take over the controlling interest (i.e. profits, maintenance costs etc.). the original locos of that line retain their paint schemes or receive new ones; all other locomotives added or replacing those are in the SCGW scheme. therefore this would be my excuse for the ANRR locos to receive the new ANRR paint scheme I have in mind (would buy new shells so I can operate either in 1997 or 2000). The 2000 operating scheme will see the GP9 and GP35 stationed in Aiken for the yard and turn (the GE unit would theoretically be at the ANRR's old yard (steam era possibly; has shops, holding tracks for trains going to either the North branch (my layout contains the North branch yard and a town along the line (still need to decide on the name) as well as 3 or 4 classification tracks for several local industries) and appear on layout for extras or as a unit when either the GP35 or GP9 broke. Also could work it in as a runner loco for extras and such along the North branch; idk); however either two GP40s, a GP40 and GP38, or two GP38s (depends on A) when I get the money and B) what MB Klien has left, lol) painted in the SCGW scheme will handle through freights. 

There we go. Two operating schemes, a bit of history, and a lot of thoughts, lol. I'll be refining this as the scenery progress slows down and operation becomes the focus of the layout.

Sawyer Berry

• 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 10:13 PM

Wow Sawyer, that's pretty neat. Never thought about two operation scenarios.

As my roster is completed, it will be several EMDs (not sure exactly how many at this point), one NRE (genset), and about 2 (again, not sure how many at this point) Alstoms (PL42ACs). And if you count passenger cars, Alstoms (Comet Vs), Bombardiers (Comet IIM-IVs and MLs), and Pullmans (heavyweights for business trains, and maybe a few Comet Is, cause I could find a reason for TSRy to buy a few from NJT before they're scrapped...). IDK.

I was originally thinking I would go with Arrows for NJT (which would mean a bunch of GEs entering the fleet, since, techinically, MUs are partly locomotive...), but I realized, it would be way more expensive. For say, a 4 car set (two married pairs and a single car), it would total nearly $500, including powering the units.
For a four car train of push pulls, it would cost less than $400, including a powered locomotive. The price would be about the same, no matter if the trains were Comets or MLs.
And, if I use diesel power, it would not require me to build catenary, which would save A LOT of T&M. And I know NJT has talked about possible electrification to Port Morris, but it is kinda unlikely...
IDK...

• 1,082 posts
Posted by IVRW on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:18 AM
My operations will be like this: The Shay stays at the yard most of the time and switches. My other two steam engines are the road engines. Sometimes the shay takes ventures onto the mainline when cars are backed up enough that neither of my other engines can pull them. The car MAX for my two steam locos would be 4, while the shay can take 7. All of this is to make a small layout look bigger.

~G4

• 3,876 posts
Posted by Packers#1 on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:17 PM

Sweet John.

joe, sounds good.

Also, Either an F40PH or a F59PHI will find its way onto my layout as well as two Concor Budd Bi-level cars as a small commuter train, as there is room in North Branch (that name fits the town, so that's what it will be called) for a passenger platform (the station would be on the other side of the tracks in the aisleway, or I could put a small ticket stand there on the platform and just have a footbridge and the parking lot on the other aisle side. decisions, decisions). They would be painted for either SCRail (which would come back as a commuter road) or the commuter division of the SCGW (SCRail is more likely). The coaches would be patched out CNW equipment while the loco would be custom-painted. I'm thinking one regular coacha nd then if I can find it a cab coach so there will be push-pull ops (in which case I can give both coaches and the loco a different number on each side to model more of the fleet. in push-pull mode, only one side would be exposed to the aisle, so that would hopefully work.)

Sawyer Berry

• 1,082 posts
Posted by IVRW on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:24 PM
Packers#1
...in which case I can give both coaches and the loco a different number on each side to model more of the fleet. in push-pull mode, only one side would be exposed to the aisle, so that would hopefully work.
That is a really good idea, Packers#1. Congrats. That reminds me of a workshop in my club a few months ago, in which, he showed us a locomotive that had different paint schemes on either side. But still, great idea.

~G4

• 3,876 posts
Posted by Packers#1 on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:39 PM

IVRW
Packers#1
...in which case I can give both coaches and the loco a different number on each side to model more of the fleet. in push-pull mode, only one side would be exposed to the aisle, so that would hopefully work.
That is a really good idea, Packers#1. Congrats. That reminds me of a workshop in my club a few months ago, in which, he showed us a locomotive that had different paint schemes on either side. But still, great idea.

I got the idea from a Tony Koester column a couple years ago. I'll have to go back and find out what exact issue. he was talking about a friend who made a Rio Grande stock car with two different styles of lettering and two different numbers.

Sawyer Berry

• 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:45 PM

Hmm Sawyer, that's a cool idea. Only problem is that, on the prototype, the locomotive is typically placed on the West (or South, whatever is outbound, at least on the east coast) end of the train. I mean, if you wanted to, you could just turn the entire train around, except it may not be totally prototypical.

Well, I've been working with operations for how the layout might run. Train numbers, physical operations of the layout, etc.
I also got some money from my dad (for doing some work stuff for him). First I'm gonna buy new hockey gloves (the ones I have are shredded to pieces...), and then the rest will probably go toward trains in some way, shape or form (as in new camera, or rolling stock, or benchwork, whatever).

• 1,082 posts
Posted by IVRW on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:47 PM
Packers#1

IVRW
Packers#1

I got the idea from a Tony Koester column a couple years ago. I'll have to go back and find out what exact issue. he was talking about a friend who made a Rio Grande stock car with two different styles of lettering and two different numbers.

Speaking of columns, I was just reading a short article I got with a Dream Plan Build Video Series disc. David Popp wrote how to make easy home made casts for rocks. What material did he use? Playdoh! Roll out playdoh to about an inch thick, push face of real rock into it, add plaster, remove playdoh, get rid of small extra playdoh on the rock with a tooth brush, and replace "casting tool" into container. Pretty good, isnt it?

~G4

• 3,876 posts
Posted by Packers#1 on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:58 PM

Sweet John. Thanks!

Joe, aight man. You got a point there. hmm, idk, could bend the rules, but idk. oh well.

Sawyer Berry

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:29 PM

Packers#1
he was talking about a friend who made a Rio Grande stock car with two different styles of lettering and two different numbers.

Actually, if I recall correctly it was the same number on both sides of the car - just a different paint scheme. That way it's still correct to the car card but without reading the numbers they look like different cars. To be honest, I don't know the numbers of any car on my roster except for boxcar 4900 off the top of my head - not even two digits! No way could I tell whether it was the same car if I didn't know and couldn't see both sides.

All push-pull commuter trains have the engines on the outbound side, and at any point along the line they'll all be facing the same way, except for at least one line (Morristown) on New Jersey Transit, where the diesels running into Hoboken face outbound and the electrics running into Penn Station face inbound. Correct me if I'm wrong, Joe. This is just based on experience from railfanning at Convent Station. (Oh, and I figured out why I kept calling it Convent Garden! When I went to London in 2005, the hotel that we stayed at was closest to Convent Garden station on the Piccadilly line!)

----------------------------------

My operating scheme is pretty well defined. CDWJ runs from Concord Staging to White River Junction Staging, with a stop at Lebanon Yard to pull off the local delivery cars and pick up outbounds. WJCD does the same thing but in the other direction - White River Junction Staging to Concord Staging. Local LE-1 handles switching in Lebanon Yard and at industries in Lebanon and Mascoma, NH. Local LE-2 handles switching at industries in Enfield and West Canaan, NH, and intermodal hotshot NAWJ once the equipment is ready, will take a train of TOFC spine cars between Nashua, NH, (via Concord Staging) and White River Junction, VT, and WJNA will do the same in the opposite direction.

But here's the catch. CDWJ and WJCD share the same locomotives and crew. Lebanon yard is the west end of White River Southern Railroad track, and trains run over Claremont-Concord Railroad tracks via trackage rights the remaining miles to White River Junction where they interchange with New England Central, CCRR, Pan Am Railways, and Washington County Railroad. After dropping off their train, they pick up cars for the eastbound, change their symbol, and return to WRS tracks. WJNA and NAWJ also share power, but instead of handing over their train to NECR at White River Junction, they continue north to Montreal over NECR and CN tracks and return the next day (session).

• 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:54 PM

TrainManTy
I don't know the numbers of any car on my roster except for boxcar 4900 off the top of my head - not even two digits!

Sadly, I can name every car in my roster, except the NS boxcar, although I know its 46????...

TrainManTy

All push-pull commuter trains have the engines on the outbound side, and at any point along the line they'll all be facing the same way, except for at least one line (Morristown) on New Jersey Transit, where the diesels running into Hoboken face outbound and the electrics running into Penn Station face inbound. Correct me if I'm wrong, Joe. This is just based on experience from railfanning at Convent Station. (Oh, and I figured out why I kept calling it Convent Garden! When I went to London in 2005, the hotel that we stayed at was closest to Convent Garden station on the Piccadilly line!)

All diesel powered trains have them on the outbound side, which, on the east coast, is typically the west/south end of the train.
On electric trains (at least on NJT), the orientation of the train does not matter. Because there is no need for ventillation, since there are no fumes, the loco could end up on either end of the train.
In push-pull commuter trains (diesel and electric), the orientation of the cars DOES matter. The B end of the car (where the handbrake is, and on cab cars, where the cab isn't) is always facing the locomotive. The A end (on cab cars, it's technically the "F" end, for Front) always faces away from the locomotive. This is because, on one side of the cars, the cables are for HEP, and on the other side, they're for something else (trainlining doors, maybe?), and the plugs are different for each, so the orientation is uber-important. I believe on Amtrak trains, this doesn't matter (but I'm not positive).
And I understand why you would think that! For example, the Lake Hopatcong is techinically in Landing (which is part of Roxbury), but is often called Landing, Roxbury, and Hopatcong, although none of those stations actually exist...

TrainManTy
WJNA and NAWJ also share power, but instead of handing over their train to NECR at White River Junction, they continue north to Montreal over NECR and CN tracks and return the next day (session).

So, would, say, NAWJ run every other day, or every day, and those trains have two sets of power?

• 1,082 posts
Posted by IVRW on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:33 PM
TrainManTy

Packers#1
he was talking about a friend who made a Rio Grande stock car with two different styles of lettering and two different numbers.

Actually, if I recall correctly it was the same number on both sides of the car - just a different paint scheme. That way it's still correct to the car card but without reading the numbers they look like different cars. To be honest, I don't know the numbers of any car on my roster except for boxcar 4900 off the top of my head - not even two digits! No way could I tell whether it was the same car if I didn't know and couldn't see both sides.

That reminds me of a GMR thing. This guy who modeled the granger states needed a way to transport grain, so all his cars had one door open through which you could see grain behind wooden boards. Rather than having specific grain cars, every boxcar could be one. They were normally in regular service, but if the operating scheme required that car x goes into grain service, he would merely turn the car around. Nifty, isnt it?

---------------------------------

Packers, In your case, rather than turning the entire train around, might I suggest breaking up the train, and turning each piece around Individually, that way, you always have the engine on the right side of the train, even if it is backwards, which is still okay.

Tyler, do you have a trackplan I could have to follow your operating scheme?

~G4

• 3,876 posts
Posted by Packers#1 on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:10 PM

Jhon, that was the idea. now I've just got to figure out if I want to stick to prototypes or bend the rules, lol. oh well, decisions, decisions.

Sawyer Berry

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all