Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

The Coffee Shop (a place to chat) Est. 2004 Locked

27061 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 6,218 posts
The Coffee Shop (a place to chat) Est. 2004
Posted by Big_Boy_4005 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 6:54 AM
Hey Guys, ever since the DOS topic was closed this forum has seems to be lacking that certain something. A place where there is no topic. A place where the members can just say HI.

Over on the Classic Toy Trains forum, one of the members brought an idea from a fishing forum that he belongs to, where there is a daily "check in" topic that the members can use.

http://www.trains.com/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14891

So, the idea of this topic is to provide that kind of space for this forum. It will help people get to know each other better, and keep some of the topic clutter off the forum.

This topic will always stay on the front page if you use it properly, so ENJOY!!![:)]
  • 728 posts
Posted by FThunder11 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 7:52 AM
Hello everyone hows it going?
Kevin Farlow Colorado Springs
  • 6,218 posts
Posted by Big_Boy_4005 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 7:59 AM
Not bad, that didn't take long for someone to discover this. Thanks!! Now let's see if everyone else can find this and put it to good use.[swg]

Good morning Fthunder11 !!!

Just remember this isn't quite the same as real chatting, but it can get the job done. Check out the link above to see how the CTT guys use it, and HAVE FUN!!!
  • 1,447 posts
Posted by Eriediamond on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:00 AM
Hey y'all (southern for good morn'in) Is this "coffee shop" thing something we have to vote on or am I the first to use it. Seems like a good idea Big_Boy. I've just returned from the hospital for major surgery performed by the staff of the 4077th MASH unit so I've been out of the loop for the past week. I dont know whats worse, the pain or the pain killer pills I have to take. Seems like someone has changed the keys around on my keyboard and Bubba (>^..^<) thinks my mouse is the real deal. OK, now I've always said to the new people that there are no dumb qwestions, but I have one. What is the DOS topic that was closed, or what does DOS stand fore? BTW it is good to be back among friends here again and so far everything has been going fine, all my pluming is now all hooked back up and functioning like an old steam engine beltching smoke and fire. [(-D][(-D][(-D]
  • 1,883 posts
Posted by lupo on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:08 AM
Morning All, One pot for me please!

Welcome back Erie!

DOS topic was Discontinuance Of Stars but was made Denial Of Service by the administrator [xx(] but I got my fourth star anyway!
if you roundup the topics by number of replys you'll find it !

can I have a refill?
L [censored] O
  • 6,218 posts
Posted by Big_Boy_4005 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:09 AM
No voting required Eriediamond, you seem to be right on with your post. Simply sharing your thoughts for the day is the general idea. I expect this to really catch on here, and maybe it will catch and pass the NES thread, but have more meaning, and posts with more than 3 words.[swg]
  • 1,883 posts
Posted by lupo on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:12 AM
Quite forgot Elliot: Good Idea, and this time your topic name covered completely the contents, everybody happy !
L [censored] O
  • 6,218 posts
Posted by Big_Boy_4005 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:18 AM
I knew you would turn up here Lupo. Congrats on your 4th star.[bday] This is the new home for this kind of stuff, instead of taking new topics.[;)]

Oh, and don't forget to post photos if you got em.[swg]

Please don't get down on Bergie for closing DOS. That was sort of the wrong place for this kind of stuff, as it started as a serious topic. This is what we really want and need, and there is no reason to close it, since I really don't expect anyone to abuse it, like was happening on DOS.
  • 1,883 posts
Posted by lupo on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:20 AM
QUOTE: Originally posted by Big_Boy_4005

This topic will always stay on the front page if you use it properly, so ENJOY!!![:)]

You mean the pot will become [STICKY] ?
will we still be able to drink coffee from it?
BTW: I did not mean to come down on our forum administrators they do good work !
I Can use the fact that english is not "my native tongue" to excuse bad spelling and grammar and I might come across rude when I do not want to be.
L [censored] O
  • 6,218 posts
Posted by Big_Boy_4005 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:25 AM
Keep in mind guys, I didn't come up with the concept here, a guy by the name of ChiefEagles brought the concept to CTT. I just picked it up and brought it here.[;)]

It will behave like it was sticky if we all just keep using it...... SEE? [swg]
We could ask Bergie to make it sticky, but I don't think we'll have to.

By the way, Big Girl bought a coffee pot a few weeks ago, it's sitting on the counter. She didn't empty it out, and now there is stuff growing in it. YUCK.[xx(][:P][(-D][(-D][(-D]

Personally I don't drink coffee, I get my caffine from cola, but I like the smell and the flavor, just not the drink itself. Go figure.[swg]
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:33 AM
Hi Yall [;)] [:D] [:)]

Jim here, from North Little Rock, Arkansas.

A Frisco fan and far too many other fallen flags to list them all. Too many mergers have left us with too few good railroads. [:(] [:(!] [V] [:(]

Congrats Lupo and the 4th Star [:)] [:)] [:)] [:)]

I also want to invite everyone to download msn messenger and join the forum chat family. We talk about modeling, railfanning, taking train pics, tell jokes, laugh at each other, and just generally have a good time. We have modelers, railfans, and even some railroaders as our chat family grows. We have many from the USA, a bunch of Canadians [:)] , Lupo sometimes drops in on us and we even have a French guy now. [:D] [8D] [:p] [:)] [;)] . So downlown msn messenger and join our chat family. The download is free and easy.

http://messenger.msn.com/Download/

I just noticed they have changed the download page. If you have any questions, please email me. I hope to see you all in chat real soon. [:D]

I work on airplanes, have also worked in retail management ,restaurant management, and have worked at a major theme part and just don't seem to know any strangers. So don't be bashful, email me if you want. [:p] [:)] [8D] [;)]

• 6,218 posts
Posted by Big_Boy_4005 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:39 AM
Hi Jim, I should start one of these over on Trains.

Mookie could be the waitress.

[:P][;)][(-D][(-D][(-D][(-D]
  • 1,447 posts
Posted by Eriediamond on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:47 AM
Thanks all, I really missed y'all while at sickbay. Lupo, The pot shouldn't become sticky if it is maintained correctly. You never (NEVER) wash a good coffee pot, just rinse it with cold water, and when you brew a new batch you throw a little salt on top of the grounds and add an eggshell to it and let her brew. (old Navy trick) [(-D][(-D] I really like this idea here, so thanks Big_Boy for bringing this to us. No topic to adhere to, just let her rip with whats on your mind. OH-OH, Bubba (>^..^<) just stopped by to see whats goin on and he got that cat demon look in his eyes!! [(-D][(-D][(-D]
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:55 AM

Somehow I don't think Mookie would want to be the waitress. She would probally like a cup of coffee or tea though. I do hope we have some nice railroad books and photo albums of trains on the "coffee tables". I think we all like to look at pics of trains. [;)]

Hey, does the coffee shop serve, Southern Fried Chicken and Fried Catfish, I have really been craving some Fried Catfish here lately. [;)]

• 2,594 posts
Posted by CP5415 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:59 AM
Hey, what about the guys who don't drink coffee? [;)]

I know this'll sound wierd, but I can't stand the coffee, but I'll drink espresso.
More caffiene for the buck I guess.

Gordon

Brought to you by the letters C.P.R. as well as D&H!

K1a - all the way

• 6,218 posts
Posted by Big_Boy_4005 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 9:18 AM
QUOTE: Originally posted by jhhtrainsplanes

Somehow I don't think Mookie would want to be the waitress. She would probally like a cup of coffee or tea though. I do hope we have some nice railroad books and photo albums of trains on the "coffee tables". I think we all like to look at pics of trains. [;)]

Hey, does the coffee shop serve, Southern Fried Chicken and Fried Catfish, I have really been craving some Fried Catfish here lately. [;)]

Jim, the thing about Mookie is, I find much of what she says to be simple chat with a few trains thrown into the mix. I know she likes trains, but not everyone can be an expert. I know that I'm not an expert when it comes to the real thing, but I can hold my own here on the modeling side. Actually I think she might get a kick out of it if I set one of these up and called it Mookie's Coffee House.

As for the menu, I think you'll find VIRTUAL FOOD rather dry, but at least the conversation is good.[swg]
  • 1,883 posts
Posted by lupo on Thursday, April 29, 2004 9:26 AM
QUOTE: Originally posted by CP5415

Hey, what about the guys who don't drink coffee? [;)]

I know this'll sound wierd, but I can't stand the coffee, but I'll drink espresso.
More caffiene for the buck I guess.

Gordon

maybe invite GrayhoundChallenger over, he was serving real virtual drinks on the Forum Topic Title Topic !
L [censored] O
  • 760 posts
Posted by Roadtrp on Thursday, April 29, 2004 9:46 AM
Good morning all. [:)]

I think this is a great idea.

Hope the grumpy old men don't give you any trouble about it. [sigh]

P.S. I could probably run out and get some bagels if anyone is interested. [dinner]
-Jerry
  • 3,420 posts
Posted by dharmon on Thursday, April 29, 2004 10:35 AM
Could one one y'all pass the coffee and one of those fat pills....
  • 4,236 posts
Posted by Fergmiester on Thursday, April 29, 2004 11:03 AM
Well isn't this cozy[bow]

Well I'm back onboard, on my new bateau (french for big boat) and I have broadband internet (for now) so it' nice we have place to "get a hair cut and have a cup-a-java. Hopefully we can keep it respectful and friendly and the sand box bullies at bay and pass that magic number of 938.

Intersting to note that the Senior Engineer onboard builds steam engines on the side and is building a replica of a Royal Hudson, not in HO scale but 1/8th scale. His pictures are awesome!

Anyway back to work!

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5959

If one could roll back the hands of time... They would be waiting for the next train into the future. A. H. Francey 1921-2007  

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Thursday, April 29, 2004 11:13 AM
Hello to all you caffine addicts out there...

I'd be glad to chat, but the caffine usually doesnt take effect till about 10 minutes after i leave work.

Have fun with your trains

• 1,883 posts
Posted by lupo on Thursday, April 29, 2004 11:15 AM
HEY I see GrayhoundChallenger!
can we order proper drinks right now?
my workday is over !
L [censored] O
  • 6,218 posts
Posted by Big_Boy_4005 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 12:08 PM
Hi Fergie, glad to see that you aren't incommunicado. I sort of took your advice, and got this thing started as something of a diversion. It should be a constructive fun place to talk, not necesarily about trains. The guys on CTT really like theirs, and tell jokes and fishing stories and everything else. It brings the members closer together, and turns them back into people in this impersonal medium.[8D]
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, April 29, 2004 12:29 PM
Hi Yal
John here from Montrerey Va I'm modeling the sante fe in N scale during WWII and I am getting a lot done.I have run into a problem on SF 4-8-4's they are without Pantograph stack lifters, what should I do?
  • 760 posts
Posted by Roadtrp on Thursday, April 29, 2004 12:31 PM
Elliot,

How about those Twins, huh? Best record in MLB right now.

Were you at the game last night? My wife and I were there and it was a pretty entertaining game. Sloppy as all get-out, but fun to watch.

Some of the highlights included the Twins' double steal in the 6th inning and scoring a total of 3 runs off Toronto wild pitches.

-Jerry
-Jerry
  • 4,236 posts
Posted by Fergmiester on Thursday, April 29, 2004 1:27 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by Roadtrp

Elliot,

Were you at the game last night? My wife and I were there and it was a pretty entertaining game. Sloppy as all get-out, but fun to watch.

Some of the highlights included the Twins' double steal in the 6th inning and scoring a total of 3 runs off Toronto wild pitches.

-Jerry

I'm still bitter about Molitor scoring 4 runs against the Jays several years ago after he was a Jay himself. I spent big bucks to see that game in sky dome

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5959

If one could roll back the hands of time... They would be waiting for the next train into the future. A. H. Francey 1921-2007  

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, April 29, 2004 3:19 PM
Really, whats the average age of the coffee drinker?
I'm fourteen and get it whenever I can.
(waking up at 5am gives you a desire for coffee)

• 6,218 posts
Posted by Big_Boy_4005 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 3:32 PM

Elliot,

-Jerry

Yeah Jerry, I was!!! My son kept score, and we almost won at TWINGO. You don't see too many 1-2-3 double plays. The top of the 8th was hard to watch, two outs on two pitches, then right in the toilet, let them tie the game. Of course Toronto's bullpen didn't know what to do with the gift, so they gave it back.[swg]

Where's Robmik???? He's probably still watching hockey!!![:p][:D][8D]
  • 6,218 posts
Posted by Big_Boy_4005 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 3:38 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by Fergmiester

Elliot,

-Jerry

I'm still bitter about Molitor scoring 4 runs against the Jays several years ago after he was a Jay himself. I spent big bucks to see that game in sky dome

What do you expect from a home town boy Fergie. We only loaned him to the Jays for a while. May 12th is Paul Molitor Hall of Fame night at the dome. He will probably choose to snub us both and go in in a Milwaukee uniform.[;)]
  • 3,370 posts
Posted by Noah Hofrichter on Thursday, April 29, 2004 4:07 PM
Howdy everybody, thought I'd stop over and say hi. Put me down for a capuccino, with extra cream. So whats new around here?

Noah

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all